Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-01-31, 04:48   Link #1
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
[Table top] Warhammer 40K Players

How many people here have a WH40K army? I re-played through the Tau campaign of Dark Crusade over the weekend and fell in love with them.

I had previously tried to paint a Space Marine army when I was younger - heh, who didn't have a hard on for eight foot tall walking behemoths in powered armour ripping everything the galaxy had to offer a new one?

Well needless to say I was too young to appreciate the finer details of painting the army and interest in the hobby waned severely when I failed to produce anything I thought was good.

Well after my Dark Crusade session I've since ordered the Tau Codex, a Tau Battleforce, XV88-2 Crisis Suit (FW), Piranha TX-42 (FW), Pathfinder Tetras (FW) and various vehicle parts as a starter.

Eying off a couple of eBay auctions for cheap Fire Warrior Teams and a Hammerhead and extra Piranhas. Once the codex and the Battleforce arrive I'll start painting off the 'Eavy Metal instructions.

I'm sticking with the standard T'au colours for the army with several differences mainly vehicle crews and commander/squad leader differentiation.

I'll definitely post some pictures but I want to see what other people run with.

What races to your love or loathe? Any interesting battle scenarios you'd like to share?

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 06:11   Link #2
JMvS
Rawrrr!

I still have a few Eldar and Tau figurines and manuals lying around, but I think I never played with them (safe for modeling).

Gosh, I think last time I played was about 10 years ago (with my now battered High Elves army, yeah, I was more of a Warhammer guy).

At the time (High School), I really enjoyed the whole collecting and modeling part: gathering a functional army, and painting it all (but I had previous experience with WW2 airplanes plamo).

Back to W40K, while Space Marines Chapters are awesome, I was never able to collect figurines, for I could never make a choice for a Chapter (too many possibilities, even when excluding Traitors). And Grace to the Emperor, the MkIII vehicles GW rolled out these last years are really tempting.

Otherwise, I have a soft spot for the Eldars (Craftworlds), especially Ulthwe. Likewise, I fell in love at first sight with the Tau.
Old 2011-01-31, 06:17   Link #3
Gin
*Artist

I used to play Necrons and Tyranids when I was 14, but then I discovered drugs and women and I kind of moved on with my life. I still read the lore sometimes, the best part of 40k for me was always the tremendous amount of detail Games Workshop put into the 40k universe.
Old 2011-01-31, 06:23   Link #4
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

I got an eldar army. Just recently got them too.
Though they keep getting massacred by those damned plague marines.
Blast that Grandfather Nurgel havent won a single round yet.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 15:04   Link #5
The Master
*Author

Wow a 40K thread, great! I have been involved in 40K since 1st edition but really have not played it much for at least 5 years. Still love the modelling and painting though. I mainly collected Eldar and Orks although the new Dark Eldar figures look tempting.
Old 2011-02-01, 15:21   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I basically collect entire armies of Tyranids and just adored them when they were finally introduced in the DoW games, but the mods before DoW2 helped me keep them for awhile. Still trying to get the Genestealer figurine though..
Old 2011-02-01, 15:40   Link #7
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Nids all the way.

They're beastly, nasty, endless, and just plain awesome. I mean come on, how cooler can you get than insectoid DINOSAURS?

Even if they beat them once on Macragge, it was but one part of the Hive Fleet Behemoth. If it was the entire fleet, they'd have been screwed over so hard... Jesus.

Not to mention the fact that the Tyranids likely don't even come from the galaxy itself; who knows how many there are in the others?
Old 2011-02-02, 17:49   Link #8
Seitsuki
Onee!

Heh well how often do you find them winning on the tabletop? Sorry, claws vs guns only works out well in movies :P

If it wasn't for the whole crack is cheaper aspect, I'd probably have a much bigger army, but as it is I've got ~1000 points of SMs as the cheapest model>point ratio that I have (each model is worth enough points I don't need a crapload for an army eg Guard/Nids, and each model isn't insanely expensive per pack eg Daemonhunters).

BTW Asuras, what the Ultramarines and Imperial Navy fought off in the Utramar system was actually the entirety of the Behemoth fleet (minus the small splinter fleets which got away). It's fleets like Kraken/Leviathan which spit up and attack systems separately and are the main Nid antagonists in the current setting.
Old 2011-02-03, 03:13   Link #9
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

I been playing since 92 and have played pretty much all the games and armies, used to work for Games Workshop at one point in one of the local stores, a lot of fun was had.

My main armies for 40k was Ultramarines and I have started an Iron Warriors army and an Dark Elder army. The later two have been "on-going" for about 8 years now... I kinda retired from playing but every so often try to play.

Link here is some pictures that I took from my 1500pt Ultarmarine Army that I used in the grand tournament many years ago.

http://www.ultramarines.game-maps.net/
Old 2011-02-03, 04:15   Link #10
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Nice looking army, Iron Warrior!

Do any conversions? I've been looking over the Advanced Tau Tactica forums and I am simply blown away by some of the things that have been done.

I'm all fired up to make some custom Pathfinders off the normal Fire Warrior spur!

Old 2011-02-03, 04:44   Link #11
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Nice looking army, Iron Warrior!

Do any conversions? I've been looking over the Advanced Tau Tactica forums and I am simply blown away by some of the things that have been done.

I'm all fired up to make some custom Pathfinders off the normal Fire Warrior spur!
Ah thank you.

Yes, pretty much 70% of the Marines there has some simple modding done, mostly legs and arms chopped and put in a new angle. The two Dreadnaughts had their Twin-Linked Lascannons converted into Twin-Linked Autocannons, all I did was chop off the end of the barrel to make it more blunt looking, add two Ammo boxs at the side of the weapon housing and finally chop off the power feed cables to make it more cannon looking.

The final touchs was to the bases, adding about £35 worth of Tyranids to the bases.

Some major converts I have done is an Techmarine and Apothecary on bikes but got no pictures of them.

Would love to do them again, since there is a lot new stuff out now, love the new Techmarine arms, there is so much you could do with them.
Old 2011-02-03, 21:58   Link #12
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Alright as of this morning I've got the following items in bound to start an army;

1 Battle Force (consisting of)
- 12 Firewarriors
- 20 Kroot Carnivores
- 1 XV8 Crisis Suit
- 1 Devilfish
- 3 XV25 Stealth Suits

From other suppliers ('legal' items);

3 Devilfish
1 Hammerhead
2 Piranhas
1 Fire Warrior Squad
1 Pathfinder Shas'Ui
3 Pathfinders (I'll make the rest of the squad out of FW conversions)
2 XV8 Crisis Suits
1 XV88 Broadside

Still need to get a Pathfinder blister with Rail Rifles. But apart from that I think it's pretty much sorted.

Add the Forge World kits and it'll be an impressive display as long as I hold up my end of the deal on the painting!

Old 2011-02-04, 05:03   Link #13
The Master
*Author

Last time I used Games Workshop paints I tried the foundation range and it was horrible. It just killed the details and left the models shiny as if I had varnished them. Has anyone else had this problem or was it just a bad batch?
Old 2011-02-04, 05:54   Link #14
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master View Post
Last time I used Games Workshop paints I tried the foundation range and it was horrible. It just killed the details and left the models shiny as if I had varnished them. Has anyone else had this problem or was it just a bad batch?
I've looked at a few guides on the Advanced Tau Tactica and the figures painted with the Tau foundation paints look horrible. A much better effect is obtained doing the layers in full.

I'd rather spend extra time making something look great than just slopping it on.

And tell me, Master, do you varnish your figures? Is there any special trick to it? None of the guides I've read even mention clear coating the figures but I know you're meant to do it to preserve the paint.

Old 2011-02-04, 17:02   Link #15
The Master
*Author

I used to varnish them when they were lead figures mainly because I didn't have any good boxes to transport them in and instead used a tool box. I don't varnish them now because it is really bad to tidy them up if they get a chip once they have been varnished. Plus most of the figures are plastic now anyway. I know GW has a spray paint matt varnish which is very good for protecting figures and well worth using if you need to protect your figures.
Old 2011-02-04, 21:35   Link #16
Seitsuki
Onee!

Varnish can be very good for final bits of details. For my marines I would use gloss for the eye lenses/scopes/screens and matt varnish for any scrolls/purity seals/mud splotches, with a mix of the two for general surfaces like the armour. With the added bonus that it would help protect the paint beneath. I used enamel for the models then water varnishes, and there hasn't been any flaking/chipping for a few years now. The important thing is to keep it thin, since unlike paint varnish tends to run even when it's quite dry and can leave weird bumps if you just splashed it on.
Old 2011-02-09, 04:09   Link #17
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Alright, using ArmyBuilder I ran up a rough Army List of what models I've got and how I'll be equipping them.

There is a lack of HQ choices but I won't be getting a Commander until I've got some experience up as I'd like the Commander to be one of the better looking models in the army.

Spoiler for Size:

Old 2011-02-10, 13:25   Link #18
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Necrons here....

Now I play a little less...but...

I have closer to the entire army....but normally i focus on basic troop with support for respawn and the noctifer
Old 2011-02-11, 23:44   Link #19
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Alright, using ArmyBuilder I ran up a rough Army List of what models I've got and how I'll be equipping them.

There is a lack of HQ choices but I won't be getting a Commander until I've got some experience up as I'd like the Commander to be one of the better looking models in the army.

Spoiler for Size:
That's a pretty solid list you got there, though I wouldn't be too sure about the kroot squad.
Just having a single squad of kroot isn't really enough if you want to keep the enemy off your troops.
Plus, you already got devilfish transports for your troops, so keeping the distance will be easier.
If you like to use your kroots, you should get more of them.

But then again, it's just my opinion and I constantly get my butt kicked so you don't really have to listen to me.

P.S Can't you only equip the EMP grenades when using a pulse carbine?
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 04:50   Link #20
Seitsuki
Onee!

Most competitive army lists I've seen don't really use kroot, the idea being that the Tau are a shooty army and if you've somehow gotten yourself into close combat you've screwed up (this makes sense since even though kroot have reasonable S and WS, their save/T are terrible compared to more dedicated melee units like SM and their unit size will lose out to orks/nids). Learning to utilise your transports and efficiently embarking/disembarking to lay down fire then retreat will be more effective than a half assed CC screen. The points can be used to increase your strengths, firepower- think a few markerlights and maybe a sky ray.