AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-22, 16:43   Link #1321
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
well, has anyone really died right next to him like that before
Yeah, in ep1 the truck with a bunch of people got smashed right before him.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 17:09   Link #1322
Xagzan

Ehh, the truck people were all the way down the street from him.

These poor bastards were so close their "ashes" were practically getting on his clothes.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 20:14   Link #1323
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Chief was badass. Don't really care much about Rebecka though. Ao was smart enough to figure out the Secret's behaviour of attacking humanoid objects (which I think is gonna spill over to other secrets), and interestingly enough, this time he was USELESS in the fight when he was instrumental to all the other Secret's destruction before. I'm glad that they're able to show more of Fleur/Elena's competency, considering they're supposed to be the aces even before Ao showed up.
That's what saved the episode for me. Guardian Enzo makes sense with why he thinks Ao is a good protagonist, but his actions are one thing. His personality is another, and quite frankly, it isn't really that interesting. I'm not going to go so far as to say I think he's as boring as most of the characters in Fate/Zero (dance, my biased views, dance), as I do like how the adults treat him, and I do like how his actions do have minor consequences. But it doesn't excuse the fact that I think he's almost a male version of a genki girl.

With that said, the episode wasn't focused on him all that much, and I did like how Ivica got an episode to himself, even if I thought his backstory was presented poorly. And as said above, I like how he couldn't contribute much to the enemy's defeat.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 23:15   Link #1324
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Yeah about that...

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs...ekaao/top.html

Did they seriously make Ao crossdress as Eureka.
Just great, insult to the injury.

Spoiler for Screenshots:
uh..... which one is the mom?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 00:28   Link #1325
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
uh..... which one is the mom?
Um, Eureka herself is only in that one game screenshot because the game is supposed to have levels based on both shows and the movie.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 02:11   Link #1326
rpgkiller999

At this rate of 'man up' for Ao, we will have another Amuro Ray - commander and 'new type' character.
rpgkiller999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 02:13   Link #1327
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
But it doesn't excuse the fact that I think he's almost a male version of a genki girl.
Funny how I think the opposite, as the closest character I compare Ao to would be NGE's Shinji. Hates father? Check. Whiny as hell? Check. Pretty much pushed around by the people around him to do what they want? Check.

Heck, if Ao had any less backbone, I'd say they'd straight up copied Shinji. Or, as I would think it, if Shinji only had a childhood friend like Naru (<3 stories where Asuka is that), he'd be turn out to be somewhat half-respectable like Ao.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 02:13   Link #1328
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Um, Eureka herself is only in that one game screenshot because the game is supposed to have levels based on both shows and the movie.
Why can't they just forget the movie exists?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 02:49   Link #1329
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think people need to rewatch Eva, if they are going to even pretend anyone could ever be as worthless and spineless as Shinji.

I do admit, Ao (both the character, and the show), aren't particularly holding my interest. To me, Ao, is essentially the same thing to Eureka Seven, as Fam is to Last Exile. Simply not in the same league as the originals. Even small things like how the Nirvash still surfs, but there being an almost complete lack of the actual surfing subculture that permeated so much of the original show. Just one of many ways this sequel is mechanistically similar, without any of the spirit.

To be fair, I hated Renton. So much. But, I loved the show, and that speaks volumes of how much there was to love that I could love a show who's main character I loathed.

I'm ambivalent towards Ao (the character), which actually rates him a little higher than Renton in my eyes, but there's little to the actual show to help counter that ambivalence.

Previews like the one we see where we've got sand creeping up girl's leggings/skirts really just helps to cement my views that Ao (the show) is a Fam 2.0.

I'm not totally down yet. I'm still holding out for a matrix-like climax.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 05:58   Link #1330
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Funny how I think the opposite, as the closest character I compare Ao to would be NGE's Shinji. Hates father? Check. Whiny as hell? Check. Pretty much pushed around by the people around him to do what they want? Check.
Since when has Ao ever been whiny or ever been pushed around? He's been pretty eager if you ask me. And really Shinji didn't invent the hating your dad trope that's something that's common in most anime let alone Shinji's and Gendo's issues run deep beyond Ao's and Renton who haven't even met yet. Ao's is more closer to Zeta Gundam's Kamille only he's alot more stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I think people need to rewatch Eva, if they are going to even pretend anyone could ever be as worthless and spineless as Shinji.
I think you need to rewatch Evangelion because it's obvious you didn't get his character at all

Anyways these comparison to Fam are getting stupid. Not only are both shows not even similar but the argument "Ao as a sequel to E7 is to Fam as a sequel to LE" makes no sense given that Fam took place in the same setting and followed the same premise as LE only focusing on the new cast instead of the old ones while AO seems to doing it's own thing being set in a different universe and following different premise from the original. This all comes down to fans complaining about their respective sequel not being exactly like or following the same tropes as it's predecessors which is the only similarities both shows have at this point really.
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 11:20   Link #1331
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Even if it's been just 10 episodes already I've taken an absolute liking to E7:AO, and I can only hope both the animation staff and the writer can keep up with the pace.

Now, the tenth episode has become another favorite of mine along with episode eight.

A very commendable praise this series does as well is at properly fleshing out the supporting adult characters, as this episode dealt with Chief's (Ivica) past, and how him learning from his sins contributed not only to the formation of Team Pied Piper but also shaping himself at becoming an irreplaceable bond for his whole team. That means, Chief don't ever do something reckless again, or you'll make Fleur, Elena, and Ao cry.

The use of symbolism introducing the literal meaning to Pied Piper is again manifested literally given that since only minors can only pilot IFO, what the adults at Generation Bleu do is mobilizing the children pilots to combat. However, this is as well subverted, because Ivica towards the end of the episode notes to Rebeca that the children at their charge are the ones after all who call for and move the adults.

Now, some drastic progression has been made about the Secret.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 11:39   Link #1332
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
Anyways these comparison to Fam are getting stupid. Not only are both shows not even similar but the argument "Ao as a sequel to E7 is to Fam as a sequel to LE" makes no sense given that Fam took place in the same setting and followed the same premise as LE only focusing on the new cast instead of the old ones while AO seems to doing it's own thing being set in a different universe and following different premise from the original. This all comes down to fans complaining about their respective sequel not being exactly like or following the same tropes as it's predecessors which is the only similarities both shows have at this point really.
The only real legitimate complaint I heard about Fam that I actually care about is that the main character absolutely sucks. I haven't seen either Last Exile series yet, but I very much doubt the shift in tone is a problem that will personally bother me.

And Ao is whiny? Of all the complaints I have about him, that's not one of them.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 12:07   Link #1333
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Even if it's been just 10 episodes already I've taken an absolute liking to E7:AO, and I can only hope both the animation staff and the writer can keep up with the pace.

Now, the tenth episode has become another favorite of mine along with episode eight.

A very commendable praise this series does as well is at properly fleshing out the supporting adult characters, as this episode dealt with Chief's (Ivica) past, and how him learning from his sins contributed not only to the formation of Team Pied Piper but also shaping himself at becoming an irreplaceable bond for his whole team. That means, Chief don't ever do something reckless again, or you'll make Fleur, Elena, and Ao cry.

The use of symbolism introducing the literal meaning to Pied Piper is again manifested literally given that since only minors can only pilot IFO, what the adults at Generation Bleu do is mobilizing the children pilots to combat. However, this is as well subverted, because Ivica towards the end of the episode notes to Rebeca that the children at their charge are the ones after all who call for and move the adults.

Now, some drastic progression has been made about the Secret.
Spoiler:
Secrets First Contact protocol are blowing things up?

That's a bit of a subversion of Scub Coral's original First Contact method by assimilation.

Is it just me or is Truth trying to be a misunderstood Neo with his crypticness and disregard of physics.

Why do I have a feeling this universe Earth and humanity is an experiment with Secrets playing the Vorlons and Truth playing the Shadows.

The Scub Coral are an interloper third party that contaminates the experiment.

Which makes me think Truth is from one faction of Secret exploiting the Scub Corals arrival to this universe.

Think of the Secrets as Integrated Data Sentient Entity with different factions from Haruhi. With the Scub Coral as the Sliders from another dimension which from their perspective are Eldritch Abominations.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 12:40   Link #1334
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I wonder... is it possible to turn the following into a meme?
Spoiler for lol episode:

Regardless of that, loved the episode. Ivica is awesome.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 19:03   Link #1335
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
what makes me wonder is why the mannequins don't get disentigrated into ashes when they got shot by those Secret drones while an actual living human does, it only works on organics perhaps?

also i could've sworn that the american IFO's don't look humaniod at all so why are they targeted? same goes for that city, i know its because of the inhabitants, that place must be filled statues or something......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 23:53   Link #1336
Destined_Fate

Strange preview... The other three girls are back in action and we get a skirt shot with a light/sand/aura/whatever trying to sneak a peak.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 00:33   Link #1337
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Secrets First Contact protocol are blowing things up?

That's a bit of a subversion of Scub Coral's original First Contact method by assimilation.

Is it just me or is Truth trying to be a misunderstood Neo with his crypticness and disregard of physics.

Why do I have a feeling this universe Earth and humanity is an experiment with Secrets playing the Vorlons and Truth playing the Shadows.

The Scub Coral are an interloper third party that contaminates the experiment.

Which makes me think Truth is from one faction of Secret exploiting the Scub Corals arrival to this universe.

Think of the Secrets as Integrated Data Sentient Entity with different factions from Haruhi. With the Scub Coral as the Sliders from another dimension which from their perspective are Eldritch Abominations.
How much of this have you been smoking?
Old 2012-06-24, 00:48   Link #1338
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
How much of this have you been smoking?
I don't smoke I have asthma.

I come to this theory base upon one Secret was around when Ben Franklin was doing his experiment.

This suggest to me that Secrets are shaping human history. Truth views this wrong and put spanner in the works by pitting different factions like Generation Bleu, that Japanese Colonel and various countries.

The Scub Coral in AO are extra-dimensional aliens. Secret could be some abusive Precurssor of this reality's humanity.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:46   Link #1339
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

The Chief is a Bosnian according to what I discussed with someone on /r/anime... So is he the first Bosnian character in a anime?

I mean the Serbians were massacring the Bosnian Muslims and we know that a country was erased from history....
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:49   Link #1340
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
Since when has Ao ever been whiny or ever been pushed around? He's been pretty eager if you ask me
Just from the first three episodes...

1) Ao never really stood up to the "Ao'ism" made by the islanders. Even from the get go Ao mentions that the reason he doesn't come visit Naru directly is because of her father, and Naru says "that's always your excuse" or something to that effect.

2) 2nd episode has Ao in full whine mode. Island under attack? "BUT there's international forces! Let them do their job!" Landing an FP in ship? "But it's moving!" Heck, even leader of the three stooges specifically called him out on his whining this very episode.

This is not to mention that despite all the whining, Ao still did what the leader of the three stooges told him, from getting into the car between the 1st-2nd episode to IFO-jacking.

3) "WAAAH! WAAAH! It must be my fault that G-monsters attacked the island. I'm disgusting!" Paraphrased with his talk to Naru at the end of episode 2.

Of course, followed up at the beginning of episode 3 "I'm not gonna pilot because people will hate me even more!" Of course we all know how that turned out.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen