AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-11, 19:48   Link #41
cyth
Banned

Watched episode 01:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-12, 02:23   Link #42
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
I did it for the yuri o.oV

I'll give it a few more episodes, but it seems interesting.
Old 2007-01-12, 05:28   Link #43
mintyfresh
Altoid

The more I watch the first episode, the less I hate it. I wish the animation could be a little bit better, but the voice acting and OP theme make up for it.

Also, thank God for minimal fanservice. Thank God.
Old 2007-01-12, 09:57   Link #44
Shounen
Away for good

hmm... found OP theme on youtube.
Old 2007-01-12, 10:08   Link #45
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
hmm... found OP theme on youtube.
WOOT! Yuri subtext, FTW!!!

I hope to GOD this series doesn't end up sucking!
Old 2007-01-12, 10:26   Link #46
JediNight
キズランダム

I know it's been said before, but wow... some people sure can't come up with an original story for their life. Can see ghosts from a young age ... sudden meeting with a monster slayer named RUCHIA? ..................... Let me guess, there are 13 monster-slaying teams? ;p

And Bleach isn't even that good >.>
Old 2007-01-12, 10:28   Link #47
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Watched episode 01:

Spoiler:
My summary and screencaps. I thought it reminded me more of Utena, D.Grayman and Bleach. It was nothing spectacular, but I guess we'll have to keep watching.
Old 2007-01-12, 15:01   Link #48
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I tend to agree with Wrex's take on the first episode. Okay but nothing spectacular. I quite enjoyed it though, even it's not my usual sort of thing. However if they keep the fanservice (and the yuri) to a minimum as they have done I might end up following it. At the very least Lucia is quite fascinating with that eye-patch and revolver. Newcomer Ayahi Takagaki as Sumire impressed me considering it's her first major role. She reminds me considerably of Kaori Nazuka i.e. bundles of exurberance coupled with a decent range. I wondering how she would fare as she's also in Deltora Quest but has done little else to speak of. She handled the switch from bimbo to demonic quite well I thought.

As for the animation, well it was a bit ropey to begin with but improved toward the finale. I was interested to see what Studio Hibari would do with this and they didn't do a bad job all told. Same can be said of the music by Hikaru Nanase who people may know from the Noein's excellent sountrack; there was one or two nice tracks to be heard which is another plus. And I like the ED, by the same group that did the Innocent Venus OP.
Old 2007-01-12, 15:57   Link #49
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well well i was looking forward for this and it did quite well on first impressions okey so its a slow start but its clearly an intro for the characters and that is forgiven ^_^

have to say that yea the animation looks a bit "old" imo ~ unlike the OP i find that the colours are rather dull (in a sense the brightness isnt there) ~

about the plot ~ it has potential and things might go darker than what they first seem to be ~

good overall impression

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-12, 16:25   Link #50
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Hm, when I first watched it, I get the feeling I'm watching Rozen Maiden and D. Gray-man mixed together or something. Ah, that's probably just me. Anyway, the main character Lucia is cool especially her get up. Lol! I knew there's something special why she had that eyepatch on Happens always no? Well, wel'll see when the subs were out
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-01-12, 16:33   Link #51
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This is not the genre of show I will keep watching, but I thought the first episode was pretty good. I liked being thrown into the action and forced to figure things out as I went along. I liked the character design. The monsters were as well done as monsters can be (I don't do monsters).

And I liked the voice acting. I thought both Chihara Minori and the newcomer, Takagaki Ayahi, were good. I also liked Tsuji Ayumi (who plays Rose in Red Garden) as Lola, the apparent servant girl. The first victim, Mochizuki Hisao, a well-known second-tier seiyuu who played little Princess Valkyrie, was also pretty striking.

By the way, I double-checked the on-screen credits, and it's Minorin playing Sumire so well and the newcomer playing Lucia (also quite well).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-01-12, 16:46   Link #52
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, I double-checked the on-screen credits, and it's Minorin playing Sumire so well and the newcomer playing Lucia (also quite well).
Really? That's bizarre. Lucia sounds just like Yuki Nagato in places ...I'm officially confused now :O
Old 2007-01-12, 23:28   Link #53
mintyfresh
Altoid

Nope, Ayahi's definitely Lucia. You can tell Minori's the one playing Sumire since she sounds a lot like her pre Yuki Nagato roles.

I think a lot of people might be mixing the two up, or getting it completely wrong for Lucia's seiyuu for the very fact that Ayahi Takagaki is so new, but at the same time, doesn't have that much of a "newbie" voice -- everyone's thinking that they've heard her somewhere, but in actuality, probably hasn't. I.. think that speaks good of her ability? (maybe. )

And on a totally unrelated note, Sonhex, I've been dying to know where your icon came from. You must tell me. It would make me happy.
Old 2007-01-13, 03:17   Link #54
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Venus Versus Virus - First Impressions

I have to thank wrex_japan, since his blog for episode one came as a handy lifesaver because I watched the first episode without subtitles.

Episode 01 - Blue Invitation.

I'm very excited how the first episode gave just a little need to introduce all the main cast and supporter characters, and then taking off right into starting the plotline.

I do agree with wrex_japan, Lucia's eye pays a similar function as to Allen's cursed eye to detect Viruses residing within human hosts, and given that Lucia collapsed after using her eye that could mean that the using the eye pays a strain on her body.

The Virus do also function on a similar premise to the Hollows in Bleach and just as they're also souless spirits like the latter.

Sumire's wild mode when she's become an anti-Virus Vaccine draws some similarities with Ichigo's berserk Hollow self, since both quickly become obsessed with a penchant for bloodlust and violence. The climatic difference resides that in Sumire's case her wild self can only be triggered by the special vaccine bullets that Lucia shots at her whereas Ichigo's Hollow side manifests when he's at the verge of death. Additionally, Sumire can submit the wild side with relative ease whereas Ichigo has to put up a good warfight to regain control from his inner Hollow.

They are even more similarities to Bleach, because given Lucia's flashbacks she lost her mother to a Virus; same case with Ichigo that lost his mother to Grand Fisher Hollow.
Spoiler:

Stopping with the Bleach slight parallels, I'm also pointing a bit of a parallel to Lucia's looks comparable to that of Barasuishou from Rozen Maiden Traümend.
The eyepatch on her left eye makes her very noticeable, and her left eye itself is greenish-golden in color.

As for the very first scene that starts the episode.
Spoiler:

The Utena-esque elements that fill the opening theme fit with the gothic style for this series. As for the ending song, Shijun no Zankoku, both the tempo and tuning brings me memories to certain resemblance found in the ending theme to Why or Why Not for Higurashi Naku Koro Ni, as well as the soundtrack score to Shingetsutan Tsukihime.
Old 2007-01-13, 06:09   Link #55
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
I think a lot of people might be mixing the two up, or getting it completely wrong for Lucia's seiyuu for the very fact that Ayahi Takagaki is so new, but at the same time, doesn't have that much of a "newbie" voice -- everyone's thinking that they've heard her somewhere, but in actuality, probably hasn't. I.. think that speaks good of her ability? (maybe. )
Well for Ayahi Takagaki to sound like a seasoned pro on her first role is pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see (and hear) what she can do with the role of Lucia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
And on a totally unrelated note, Sonhex, I've been dying to know where your icon came from. You must tell me. It would make me happy.
She is the shapeshifting foxgirl Yeu Woo Bi from a new Korean movie also called 'Yeu Woo Bi' (The Cubby Fox)...
Old 2007-01-13, 06:32   Link #56
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Spoiler:
oh i think this is a certain
Spoiler:

and oh yea...the end of the OP sequence where lucia has her hair down makes her look totally like bara

and i have to agree that the new comer for lucia's voice is really good O.o she sounds like quite the pro ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2007-01-13, 08:38   Link #57
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Oh my! I've even drawn more similarities to Lucia and Sumire to other characters from other series.

When they were requested by the client to stop her shadow it gave me some remind of GetBackers.

I've even started to see comparisons between Lucia and Ban Mido through their looks. But how would even a slight bit of similitude between Sumire and Ginji Amano?
Old 2007-01-13, 15:50   Link #58
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm having a hard time seeing everyone's attraction to yuri. It's like something you would see on Spike TV only its in anime. Is it just for comedic value, does it turn people on, or is it something else I'm not getting. The concept is popular enough now to be identifiable as a genre and omnipresent as of now, so I must be missing something. To me what's important is the action element, but I really don't know about the yuri sub-genre being at all important. It doesn't bother me at all, but it doesn't click as something all that important either, its just there in the background like the loli's (Fun for my lolicon chicken game with a friend, think drinking game only more trying to one up each other with stories of the phenomenon getting people in trouble or crossing the line) and robots (Have a positive bias towards admittedly) and moe (okay in small doses but mind numbing if its all there is in a series). It looks like I need a policy on Yuri and fast because its coming like a deluge (poor choice of words).
Old 2007-01-13, 16:12   Link #59
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing everyone's attraction to yuri. It's like something you would see on Spike TV only its in anime. Is it just for comedic value, does it turn people on, or is it something else I'm not getting. The concept is popular enough now to be identifiable as a genre and omnipresent as of now, so I must be missing something. To me what's important is the action element, but I really don't know about the yuri sub-genre being at all important. It doesn't bother me at all, but it doesn't click as something all that important either, its just there in the background like the loli's (Fun for my lolicon chicken game with a friend, think drinking game only more trying to one up each other with stories of the phenomenon getting people in trouble or crossing the line) and robots (Have a positive bias towards admittedly) and moe (okay in small doses but mind numbing if its all there is in a series). It looks like I need a policy on Yuri and fast because its coming like a deluge (poor choice of words).
i agree that the yuri compliments on this series before airing was quite high but tbh i dont see it being talked about as of this time ~ not had a single mention of yuri in any of the opinions considering the first ep so i guess it was just a passing phase to get this series hyped up a bit it should have died down by now after ep 1 ~

Old 2007-01-13, 16:23   Link #60
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

True, other than some imagery in the OP and ED there's no real indication of their being much yuri in this. Least for now. I'd be inclined to drop it if their were, because the story doesn't require it.

EDIT: BTW, Deathkillz well spotted about Sumire's eyes in the prologue.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-13 at 17:02.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen