AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-06, 23:15   Link #921
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Yamato: He is mine!

I..I what? that one line seriously made me forget all those romantic moments between hibiki and io

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 00:32   Link #922
The Green One

It's saddening to me to think I am in the minority of thinking that Hibiki's heroics today for Io were rather heartwarming. Even if they were cheesy. This kind of cheesy I can enjoy. Incoming Yandere Yamato towards Hibiki however....
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 00:40   Link #923
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay I liked it. I am so sick of sacrifice used as a plot device that I loved that this series rejected it.
Yeah, I agree with you here. Nice to see sacrifice being given the boot every now and then. With Yamato it's all sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice. Just glad Hibiki managed to give him the middle finger on that line of thought and gives everything he has to try and save Io.

Maybe cheesy, but I really don't care. Io needed some saving and I'm just glad there was some. A reckless move to do it, but pretty darn satisfying all things considered. Went into this episode hoping there would be a way to save her while having a bad feeling about it. Just glad things worked out.
Old 2013-06-07, 01:28   Link #924
p-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It's saddening to me to think I am in the minority of thinking that Hibiki's heroics today for Io were rather heartwarming. Even if they were cheesy. This kind of cheesy I can enjoy. Incoming Yandere Yamato towards Hibiki however....
I actually liked it a bit. I thought it was fitting that Hibiki was pursuing this "option" that Yamato dismissed without trying, contrasting their ideologies as described by Alcor in the previous episode. Unfortunately, the dialogue was nonsensical though. So, Io's parents were suddenly treated as dead, even though in the anime they were only missing. Plus Io didn't want to be saved because she's weak, I mean what? It was pointless drama. But the atmosphere was good thanks to the insert song. The dialogues could be better, much better.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:32   Link #925
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
So, Io's parents were suddenly treated as dead, even though in the anime they were only missing. Plus Io didn't want to be saved because she's weak, I mean what? It was pointless drama. But the atmosphere was good thanks to the insert song. The dialogues could be better, much better.
Wasn't the surrounding area eaten up by the void though? So Io's parents were pretty much as good as dead. Or just non-existent anymore :c
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:34   Link #926
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
I actually liked it a bit. I thought it was fitting that Hibiki was pursuing this "option" that Yamato dismissed without trying, contrasting their ideologies as described by Alcor in the previous episode. Unfortunately, the dialogue was nonsensical though. So, Io's parents were suddenly treated as dead, even though in the anime they were only missing. Plus Io didn't want to be saved because she's weak, I mean what? It was pointless drama. But the atmosphere was good thanks to the insert song. The dialogues could be better, much better.
Well I didn't have a problem with the parents thing. The world is literally disappearing around them, I'd probably assume everyone I know is dead too at that point.
Old 2013-06-07, 01:38   Link #927
The Green One

98% of the known world has been wiped out of existence and most of the rest is a charred gutted ruin. It's a fairly safe assumption they're dead. It might of been marginally easier on Io if she at least knew what happened to them, dead or alive. The not knowing is clearly eating her alive inside.

Io outright said during the later half of the episode she wanted to live. But she had been told that unless she resigned herself to death and willingly let herself die in the name of the cause the world would be destroyed anyway. She felt trapped and helpless so she fell into despair.

It was Hibiki telling her loud and clear that he valued her existence and he valued her as well, did she start to respond and rouse her consciousness which by all rights should of been shredded beyond repair. She found her courage to go on when she was told it was ok to feel weak in a situation like this as it's a normal response but that she could draw on others she was close to for strength like everyone else was doing.

Yes the same tired "Power of Friendship" speech we've heard 10 trillion times before, but in a dark setting like this it was more moving.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:06   Link #928
p-kun

All three protagonists are from Tokyo. Tokyo is protected from void because the Tokyo Tower barrier is still intact. Not to say that their parents are safe from other things such as demons, accidents, etc, but their parents are 100% safe from the void.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:10   Link #929
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It's saddening to me to think I am in the minority of thinking that Hibiki's heroics today for Io were rather heartwarming. Even if they were cheesy. This kind of cheesy I can enjoy.
I also liked it, for the same reasons others mentioned. Yes, it was unsubtle and clichéd, but it was still heartwarming, considering the setting and the characters.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 06:50   Link #930
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I also liked it, for the same reasons others mentioned. Yes, it was unsubtle and clichéd, but it was still heartwarming, considering the setting and the characters.
This is where I disagree.

I feel that not enough time was spent towards developing character relationships to warrant Io and Hibiki's reunion being Okada/KEY level dramatic.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 08:48   Link #931
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
This is where I disagree.

I feel that not enough time was spent towards developing character relationships to warrant Io and Hibiki's reunion being Okada/KEY level dramatic.
I'm not bothered by that. To be honest, I never expected stellar character/relationship development from this anime, so I just assume whatever they want me to assume, and roll with it. Plus, the main reason why I watch it is the Io-Hibiki-Daichi BFF trio, so I take everything I can get. :3

(And I didn't think it was that dramatic, anyway... Especially considering that she was about to die and he saved her life, which is a dramatic situation by default.)
Old 2013-06-07, 09:00   Link #932
eiyuu99

The Hibiki x Io shippers will be glad.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 09:19   Link #933
kuromitsu

Does anyone actually ship het in this fandom?

(FWIW if I had to choose a favorite pairing, my choice would be Daichi x Hibiki. Even though it's not getting teased a lot lately.)
Old 2013-06-07, 10:30   Link #934
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Actually, in the game, I believe on Tuesday when there's an optional boss you can go to a scene with Io where her mother dies. In case I got the date wrong here's a rundown of what basically happens: In game MC(Aka Hibiki) finds Io treating injured people alongside Jp's medics, soon after he arrives someone is rushed in, this person is her mother. One of the people that brought her in, tells Io that her mother is in critical condition, she(Io's mother) dies soon after. As for her dad, I have no idea.
Old 2013-06-07, 10:40   Link #935
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Does anyone actually ship het in this fandom?

(FWIW if I had to choose a favorite pairing, my choice would be Daichi x Hibiki. Even though it's not getting teased a lot lately.)
I ship Daichi and Io. I kind of like the dynamic of the best friends of the protagonist getting together (such as Ron and Hermione in Harry Potter).

I don't think the show is leaning towards that though.

As for Hibiki well I kind of like Alcor/Hibiki/Yamato.

Although in truth I am not sure if really ship them romantically or just like that relationship/interaction best. I enjoy the innuendo though.
Old 2013-06-07, 10:49   Link #936
Blaat

Wait I'm not supposed to het ship in this series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I ship Daichi and Io. I kind of like the dynamic of the best friends of the protagonist getting together (such as Ron and Hermione in Harry Potter).
Same here, sadly enough I don't think this type of pairing is common in anime/manga in fact it never seem to happen at all. Every one gets paired up with the main character.
Old 2013-06-07, 11:16   Link #937
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Yeah, I wouldn't mind pulling for DaichixIo, but I just can't see it happening. The MC gets all, that's just how it works .
Old 2013-06-07, 11:28   Link #938
ookamigirl

Things are looking pretty bleak.
Nitta as a sacrifice didn't get Hibiki's approval.
It was nice watching the fight with Mizar.
Hibiki's inability to let Nitta go was admirable.
Guess he still hasn't gotten used to losing people..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 11:43   Link #939
Blizzard
KIRABOSHI☆!!!

Hibiki's insistence to help Io even when she's supposedly already dead and gone beyond saving and his refusal to kill or even fight Lugh kills dozens of JPs summoners this week.

Yamato's insistence to have Hibiki at the most protected position away from the front lines when he's emotionally compromised from Keita kills dozens of JPs summoners in episode 4.

I really like it when an anime draws parallels like that though I'm not sure what to think of how Io's rescue was presented as purely righteous and heartwarming? Here's hoping someone will call Hibiki out on the sacrifices he caused trying to save a single personal friend and not even Japan or humanity. My vote is for Alcor. His reasons are purer and more emotionally driven than Yamato but the context is actually worse. One of them can shoulder but not accept and the other can accept but not shoulder.
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 12:03   Link #940
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'll leave the matter of Hibiki choosing Io over a bunch of faceless people alone since such issues are complicated and messy.

I like how it ended. And it also shows that this losing streak of the death clips being unoverturnable is finally over.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona