AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-06-23, 10:31   Link #1
DeotoxSlayer

White Knight Chronicles

White Knight Chronicles (白騎士物語, Shirokishi Monogatari) Is a RPG being developed by Level 5 for the PS3.

from the wiki:

"White Knight Chronicles, like most other console RPGs, is presented in third person perspective. The player can freely choose which character to control. Like any other RPG, the characters gain experience points and level up, becoming stronger over the course of the game. Level-5 plans to make White Knight Chronicles a 50-60 hour game, a length Akihiro Hino considers to be a full length RPG, going against the pressure to make White Knight Chronicles a launch title and cutting the story short."

Battle System:

"The battle system used in White Knight Chronicles uses a real-time combat system, where the battle mode is initiated automatically when enemies are present. Before a battle, the player optionally goes into the "Battle Preparation" menu (accessible at any time) and chooses a set of seven commands for each character in the party. This set of seven commands is called a "Function Palette", and several of these palettes can be saved, suggesting that tactical palette preparing and switching will be essential to the game. The commands can also link in some way, presumably to create combos. These can then be used in battle, where the player controls one of the characters, while the others are controlled by the AI, as seen in the Tokyo Game Show trailer. Players, though, can freely change the character they're controlling. The main character can transform into the White Knight when a gauge is filled, using normal attacks on minor enemies. Characters can also perform combo attacks with other characters, such as one character holding an enemy while another attacks it. Boss battles also take place in a similar fashion except that they may include cutscenes for in-battle events."

The Story:

"Not much is known about the story, though in a recent interview with Famitsu, Level-5 president Akihiro Hino revealed that the game's story will center on the relationship between the protagonist and the princess that was seen in the promotional trailer. Early in the game, the protagonist comes to the princess' rescue and from there on, they begin to develop a close relationship with one another. One scene depicted in the promotional trailer shows the couple dancing together in a forest."

It has however been said that there will be a "lot of story information released in a future issue of Famitsu" though your guess is as good as mine on what issues it'll be on.

Here's some videos of the game:

The released date has been confirmed to be December 25, 2008 in Japan and no American or European release date has been specified so far.

This game is a PS3 exclusive and there is a 0% chance of it being released on the 360 so please don't ask about that.

There more information on the game that i'll post later when I have time and i find the all.

So is anyone else excited about the game it looks like a good game to me plus its coming out on the PS3 im definetly getting it when it comes out.

Wow was that a really long post.

EDIT1:

Here's a translated article from a issue of Famitsu. A big thank you to Mandar916 for taking time to translate this long article. I kept it spoiler tagged because of length.

For the people who don't want to read the interview the main information that came out of it is that Whit Knight Chronicles will be released December 25, 2008 in Japan. However no American or european release date has been announced yet.

Spoiler:

EDIT2: Here are some links to translated and Scanlated articles enjoy

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...translated.jpg

EDIT3:

Cinematic Trailer 2

EDIT4 New Scans looks like any character can use any weapon.

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen29277_w...reenshots.html

EDIT5:

Some new scans with some translations thanks to our very own Madabar978

http://www.gamekyo.com/images2_4_29302.html

Translations:
Spoiler:

and a second one:

http://www.gamekyo.com/images3_4_29302.html

Translations:

Spoiler:

Edit6:

2 new translated scans from Famitsu Enjoy.

http://www.gulfup.com/files/jpg/MBN08361.jpg
http://www.gulfup.com/files/jpg/EWY08361.jpg

Last edited by DeotoxSlayer; 2008-11-23 at 09:22.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 16:27   Link #2
SkoolRumble4Ya

I've also been waiting for any information regarding this but so far there ain't no damn news about it. Hopefully it suprise me and ship this year to the U.S.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 17:58   Link #3
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Hmmm it looks nice and all but... Being PS3 I don't think I'll ever get to try it since a PS3 costs so much and all...
Old 2008-06-26, 19:07   Link #4
SkoolRumble4Ya

News just came out that WKC is due out FY08. So the game should be out before April 09.
Old 2008-06-26, 20:46   Link #5
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
News just came out that WKC is due out FY08. So the game should be out before April 09.
Actually its supposed to be out Before March 9th. Since thats when the Japanese Fiscal Year ends and it was stated that it would be released this fiscal year.
Old 2008-06-26, 22:08   Link #6
Dingo
The polyphony

They must have redone/reworked a lot of the game(apparently the TGS demo was rather underwhelming) since we've heard virtually nothing in almost 10 months.Which I am glad for, Level 5 is a company that doesn't rush things out, not matter how much pressure is being put on them.Example: True Fantasy Live Online, MS wanted it out, and now(to compete against the then king of mmos FFXI) and Level 5 chose to just canceled the entire thing and bought back the license a year later.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 22:43   Link #7
rg4619

Quote:
Level 5 is a company that doesn't rush things out, not matter how much pressure is being put on them.
Actually, financing and release timing are up to the publisher. Sony needs a power shot for the PS3, so they're going to ensure that the game is in reasonably good shape. However, they could easily force an early release if they wanted to (they own the property and control the purse strings).

The exception would be those Professor Layton games, which Level-5 self-funds.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 22:57   Link #8
kujoe
from head to heel

Hopefully this won't be something like Dark Cloud 1&2 or Rogue Galaxy. It should be better.

I mean, those were good games, but there were times when I felt like I was merely dungeon crawling.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 01:32   Link #9
rg4619

My feelings on Level-5 RPGs are a bit ambivalent.

On one hand, they do outstanding work with graphical presentations and user interfaces. In that area, they're up there with the best in the industry, and the high standards of quality shine through.

However, the developers always screw up when it comes to game design (bad level design in most games, shallow/almost non-existent battlefield tactics in Jeanne D'arc) and scriptwriting.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 01:32   Link #10
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Yes one of the JRPG's i can wait for XD

News

With a distinct lack of JRPGs on the market and PlayStation 3 owners getting a tad unhinged over the drought, it's reassuring to know that fans can prepare for a steady influx of the genre nearing the end of the current fiscal year.

Beginning with Disgaea 3 this August, PS3 owners can look forward to a succession of JRPG releases, including the likes of Valkyria Chronicles, (possibly) Final Fantasy XIII and now, White Knight Chronicles.

During Sony's Strategy presentation today, the platform holder confirmed that the JRPG would be released sometime before the end of the current fiscal year. Essentially, this means you can expect the game to hit retail shelves no later than March 31, 2009.

White Knight Chronicles is said to follow a young man and a princess in distress who slowly become closer as the story unravels. Though not much has been released regarding the title, we hope to bring you a decent amount of new information while attending this year's E3 Media and Business Summit next month, where the game will presumably make an appearance
Old 2008-06-27, 07:53   Link #11
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
They must have redone/reworked a lot of the game(apparently the TGS demo was rather underwhelming) since we've heard virtually nothing in almost 10 months.Which I am glad for, Level 5 is a company that doesn't rush things out, not matter how much pressure is being put on them.Example: True Fantasy Live Online, MS wanted it out, and now(to compete against the then king of mmos FFXI) and Level 5 chose to just canceled the entire thing and bought back the license a year later.
Actually the thing with True Fantasy Online was a bit different.

They didin't want to rush it so they angered Microsoft. Then when they told Microsoft that they couldn't put Voice Chat into the game Microsoft dropped the project all together because apparently voic Chat was the most important thing and the game couldn't go without it.

Also the TGS Demo really wasn't underwhelming. It just had a few glitches and a few of the features were unusable because they didn't have time to pput it into the demo they made. Also the fighting was kinda slow becuase it was a "practice level" where there weren't many enimies and the boss was rather weak and easy to defeat.
Old 2008-06-27, 10:07   Link #12
Dingo
The polyphony

Voice Chat was already in the game and working, it certainly wasn't the reason the game got canned.In fact the game was quite far along in development already, there were a lot more factors that led to the cancellation of the game, certainly wasn't just Voice Chat.

Quote:
Also the TGS Demo really wasn't underwhelming. It just had a few glitches and a few of the features were unusable because they didn't have time to pput it into the demo they made
thus, the demo was underwhelming to the consumers
Old 2008-06-27, 10:10   Link #13
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Voice Chat was already in the game and working, it certainly wasn't the reason the game got canned.In fact the game was quite far along in development already, there were a lot more factors that led to the cancellation of the game, certainly wasn't just Voice Chat.
*Siga*

"Often cited as one of the most disappointing project cancellations of recent years, True Fantasy Live Online was highly anticipated almost right from the moment it was announced in 2002, and was touted as one of the premier titles for the Xbox and its Xbox Live online service in Japan. Yet despite being "fully playable" and near completion according to Microsoft around the time of its cancellation, the title's development was littered with complications from the very beginning. One such problem was Level-5's inexperience with online network coding, and their inability to properly implement voice chat compatibility into the game. It was a feature never before implemented on such a large scale in an MMORPG, however Microsoft was very adamant on its inclusion, as it was a key feature to their Xbox Live service."

yea... they definetly had voice chat in it.
Old 2008-06-27, 10:12   Link #14
Dingo
The polyphony

Stop quoting wiki as facts, and look up the beta reports from way back, Voice Chat was in, in one form or another, maybe not in the way microsoft wanted, but it was in and working.

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-06-27 at 18:58.
Old 2008-06-27, 10:14   Link #15
Westlo
Lets be reality

Really looking forward to this, along with FFXIII and other JRPGs this will be why I buy a ps3.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 10:15   Link #16
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Really looking forward to this, along with FFXIII and other JRPGs this will be why I buy a ps3.
What you didn't already buy a PS3 for MGS4........
Old 2008-06-27, 18:53   Link #17
SkoolRumble4Ya

So is the game coming out in the japanese fiscal year or all the regions.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:04   Link #18
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
So is the game coming out in the japanese fiscal year or all the regions.
I hoping its all of them, but all we know for now for sure is that its gonna atleast be released before March 9th 2009 in Japan.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:26   Link #19
SkoolRumble4Ya

I guess when E3 shows up we will be hearing news of WKC, FF13 and some more rpgs.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:33   Link #20
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
I guess when E3 shows up we will be hearing news of WKC, FF13 and some more rpgs.
Hopefully, guess I gotta watch X-Play for their coverage of E3 then.

They're also gonna have info on God of War III which im looking forward to along with FFXIII FFvsXIII and hopefully that magazine article about a new Tales game in the works for the PS3 is true too.