AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-17, 17:44   Link #1
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Doraemon

Does anyone know now if Doraemon is licenced? And if it is, who is it licenced by?
CardCaptorMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 17:54   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
Does anyone know now if Doraemon is licenced? And if it is, who is it licenced by?
If you mean licensed in the U.S. or other English speaking country, it's not.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 20:54   Link #3
wao
OK.

Dammit! Somebody put fansubs on that thing and put it on AnimeSuki. :P

It's a pretty old but popular series in Japan... why did I miss the chinese dubs on TV. :\

Somehow it doesn't seem like the kind of anime that would be licensed in the US... no audience really ^^;
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 21:15   Link #4
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
A long long time ago, pioneer usa (now geneon) mentioned something about getting it, but nothing else has materialized.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 22:12   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Dammit! Somebody put fansubs on that thing and put it on AnimeSuki. :P

It's a pretty old but popular series in Japan... why did I miss the chinese dubs on TV. :\

Somehow it doesn't seem like the kind of anime that would be licensed in the US... no audience really ^^;
I think that releasing a series a series as immense as Doraemon wouldn't really pull in a lot of profits. Also, if a fansub group were to pick it up, it would probably take several years to get it done (at the rate of 2 episodes per week).
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 22:33   Link #6
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I think that releasing a series a series as immense as Doraemon wouldn't really pull in a lot of profits. Also, if a fansub group were to pick it up, it would probably take several years to get it done (at the rate of 2 episodes per week).
It doesn't matter if they finish it, (I think Doraemon is still running). It's not like regular fair season-based anime if I recall correctly. Sort of like something you can continue watching...
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 23:21   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I have 4 subbed eps that were done by one guy just for the hell of it. It is nice to have them but I can't see how a fansub group would get any kind of prestige or popularity by subbing it.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-05-12 at 15:57.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 04:35   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
but I can't see how a fansub group would get any kind of prestige or popularity by subbing it.
And we all know that's the only reasons why fansub groups release stuff, for their own prestige and popularity. Nothing to do with allowing the series to gain a wider audience or introducing the rarer or older series outside of Japan

I wonder how Doraemon would be received by the current / new anime fans. I can understand some of the popularity is due to nostalgia, so I'm not sure it would be that popular now (not that it's bad or anything, it's just a bit dated now). In Japanese polls it is ranked very high, but like most polls, it rather depends who you ask
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 12:28   Link #9
babbito2k
annoying white bat

(._.) I could have put a little more thought into that last post... that was nicely put xris.

I was thinking more along the lines of the show itself not getting much interest even if subbed.

Of course the reasons xris gave as applied to doing the show are far more valid than any reasons for not doing it.

It's not that I don't like the show. The episodes I saw were the very first ones and they were very funny. There is an essay about Doraemon in my Japanese textbook which discussed its popularity and gave a rough idea about the story. One of the first books I was able to read in Japanese was a Doraemon coloring book (not that I can read much over that level even now) ^_^;;;;
Old 2004-01-25, 21:42   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I see Aikousha is subbing this, at least episode 1 is done. I have this around somewhere, it's worth a look just so you know what Doraemon is about. Assuming this series is not licensed, this thread should go over to fansubs.

Old 2004-01-25, 22:02   Link #11
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I see Aikousha is subbing this, at least episode 1 is done. I have this around somewhere, it's worth a look just so you know what Doraemon is about. Assuming this series is not licensed, this thread should go over to fansubs.
They are starting from episode 1!? Wow, this is interesting. Lets see how long they can go for.

So does this mean that there will be DORAEMON on Anime-Suki? If so........ WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIII II
CardCaptorMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 22:06   Link #12
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

I'm not sure if it is licensed by these countries/regions, but I've seen Doraemon in Chinese, French and Spanish. For some reason, English was left out of the loop. My Japanese teacher says he has every episode of Doraemon on tape (except maybe the latest ones). There's like 2000+ episodes (not sure if this is accurate but an anime that started in 1979 and still runs today has GOT to have a lot of episodes)...most people lack the resources and motivation to take on a project this large.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 22:35   Link #13
Tangen
Aikousha Co-Founder

Ok you guys may have noticed that Doraemon 0001 ain't up on animesuki yet. That's because we made big blotch up on the original release.
Epsiode 0001 should be out within approx. 2 hrs after i post this message.

And yea, we're gonna try do the 1000+ eps thats out until it officially gets licensed!

This series is especially for the fans who grew up watching this series.
Tangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 00:18   Link #14
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangen
Ok you guys may have noticed that Doraemon 0001 ain't up on animesuki yet. That's because we made big blotch up on the original release.
Epsiode 0001 should be out within approx. 2 hrs after i post this message.

And yea, we're gonna try do the 1000+ eps thats out until it officially gets licensed!

This series is especially for the fans who grew up watching this series.
Gee, it's OK. It's good that you corrected your mistake. As far as the 1000+ eps., ganbare yo! And as you can see there are people who didn't grow up with the series who will benefit from its availability. Thanks for your efforts.

Old 2004-01-26, 01:02   Link #15
Tangen
Aikousha Co-Founder

Ok Doraemon 01 out now!
Old 2004-01-26, 01:42   Link #16
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Doraemon doesn't seem to be licensed so I'm moving this thread to fansubs.
Old 2004-01-26, 02:45   Link #17
Nins

Send a message via ICQ to Nins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangen
Ok Doraemon 01 out now!
Thank you very much for subbing Doraemon which was one of my favourite anime and manga when I was growing up.... got v1 and now probably will download v2 of ep 1... so wat is the difference?
Nins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 06:43   Link #18
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Doraemon is Licensed

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3170

WOWtime
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 07:59   Link #19
Tangen
Aikousha Co-Founder

Tabiree, we did our homework before releasing Doraemon.

ShoPro Entertainment isn't the licensor for doraemon, they actually act as a middleman for japanese companies wanting to sell their stuff in the US.
Old 2004-01-26, 13:20   Link #20
s0nicfreak
Taking harem applications
*Artist

I loved Doraemon as a youngin'. Its good to see theres finaly a decent fansub of it
s0nicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote