AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-28, 10:00   Link #481
Kakkou
Tch.

The final BD/DVD volume came with a picture drama that I attempted to translate, so anyone missing more Tsuritama in their life can head here (Part 1) and here (Part 2). There's no video, just text and some screenshots, so I think it's okay to link them here?

I'll leave these three screenshots as a hint to what it's about:
Spoiler for picture drama screenshots:

...I miss Tsuritama.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 10:07   Link #482
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Today's NY Times online edition carries this story about an "immortal" species of jellyfish whose main investigator is a sixty-year-old Japanese biologist. He has become something of a media celebrity in Japan. Makes me wonder whether Nakamura and company might have been influenced by Japan's popular fascination with this species.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/ma...mortality.html

Maybe it's an alien!

Quote:
That's quite the sexy look for our boy Akira!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 10:13   Link #483
Bern-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
The final BD/DVD volume came with a picture drama that I attempted to translate, so anyone missing more Tsuritama in their life can head here (Part 1) and here (Part 2). There's no video, just text and some screenshots, so I think it's okay to link them here?

...I miss Tsuritama.
Thank you very much for the translation! You're not the only one who misses the show

It was fun and I imagine with the voices it would be even better. Didn't expect that person to win the contest. Akira and Yuki were the best ones

About the jellyfish I think I read it somewhere before (or saw it in a jellyfish documentary) but didn't know that the one studying it was Japanese, what would Tsukimi from Kuragehime think about it?
Old 2012-11-28, 10:19   Link #484
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
It was fun and I imagine with the voices it would be even better. Didn't expect that person to win the contest. Akira and Yuki were the best ones
You're welcome. =D It's definitely better with the voices! There are also more pictures & expressions than this, except I couldn't bother capping every single one of them. Watching the actual PD is a must whenever they become available.
Old 2012-11-28, 10:25   Link #485
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post

...I miss Tsuritama.
Dat Akira in his speedo. That was a pretty fun picture drama.

Thanks for the translation! Unfortunately, I can't rep you ~
Old 2013-04-19, 10:15   Link #486
Kakkou
Tch.

So it's been over a year since this wonderful series started airing . Seems the staff still has plenty of love left to release a limited edition tapestry to celebrate Yuki and Haru's birthday. There was also another Q&A twitter session not long ago and just like before, here comes the juicy trivia:

Spoiler for wall of trivia:

Aside from participating in the Q&A, Yuichi Takahashi also posted a new sketch commemorating the anniversary. He also said that all questions regarding a sequel should be left for when Gatchaman Crowds is over.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2013-04-19 at 10:56.
Old 2013-04-19, 10:46   Link #487
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for posting this. Lots of interesting trivia here.
Old 2013-04-19, 12:19   Link #488
cyth
Banned

Quote:
  • Natsuki's "I'll only say this once" catchphrase was something he picked up from Tamotsu.
  • Akira doesn't approve of Tapioca and Savaran's relationship but does not interfere with them.
  • Haru and Coco never fight because whenever Coco gets angry, Haru still smiles.
These three are simply adorable. Thanks for posting!
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 19:35   Link #489
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The abiding love the staff has for this project was as obvious in the work itself as it is in their comments about it. It's rare to see so much continued involvement so long after the show itself has ended.

There seems to be so much affection for the show among the folks who made it that I really wonder if a sequel might be possible, given that the BD/DVD sales were quite solid. Ono Toshiya's sign-off (or involvement) would seemingly be the biggest hurdle.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 19:58   Link #490
kuromitsu

The Q&A session was adorable! (I'm so lucky I didn't miss it this time.) It's so heartwarming to see so much love for this show from the staff, even one year later.

By the way, does anyone know if the novel covers the entire anime? It's 400 pages long so it must be longer than the six chapters at Noitamina's website, but it doesn't seem that long. Then again, it's not a long anime and not a very complicated story either.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 08:31   Link #491
FireChick

I really hope Tsuritama gets dubbed...and that they get Spike Spencer to do Haru's voice. His keet-y voice would be PERFECT for Haru!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:18   Link #492
Bern-san

The trivia about Akira's opinion regarding Tapioca and Savaran
Did the anime end up selling good? I'm sure it wasn't a lot but I hope that a bit more than expected because seeing how much love has been put in Tsuritama...

I really hope they do have plans for a second season after Gatchaman or sometime in the future.
Old 2013-04-21, 17:11   Link #493
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The sales were decent. Almost 5k if IIRC. For an atypical anime like this one, that's very good.
Old 2013-04-21, 19:45   Link #494
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Considering someone asked on the original Q & A what expectations for sales the staff had and the answer was, "Absolutely none!" I think it's safe to say it exceeded expectations.

I think we all realize the only reason Tsuritama wasn't a huge commercial hit - merely a modest one - is that the main characters were all guys. It is what it is.
Old 2013-04-21, 19:59   Link #495
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

From the DVD sales thread:

Tsuritama **1,557+*1,953=*3,510 (6) (A-1 Pictures/Sentai Filmworks)

DVD
2012/06/27 *2,156 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 6)
07/25 *1,786 Vol. 2 LE
08/22 *1,448 Vol. 3 LE
09/26 *1,464 Vol. 4 LE
10/24 *1,247 Vol. 5 LE
11/21 *1,243 Vol. 6 LE

Blu-ray
2012/06/27 *2,338 Vol. 1
07/25 *2,067 Vol. 2
08/22 *2,130 Vol. 3
09/26 *1,854 Vol. 4
10/24 *1,683 Vol. 5
11/21 *1,646 Vol. 6

From scuttlebutt I've read here and elsewhere over the years, averaging 3,500 copies per release is doing just a bit better than breaking even.

If they didn't expect anyone to buy this, was it supposed to support itself via advertising? I thought noitaminA's partners learned that wasn't a viable strategy some time ago. Maybe they got some juicy product placement money from the various fishing brands they advertised. Given the prices on that tackle those manufacturers must be doing pretty well and could afford to throw some yen in the direction of an anime show about fishing. Wouldn't it be amusing to see sales of fishing equipment go up after Tsuritama aired. Any mentions of that, maybe in Japanese sources? I bet the marketing directors of those companies know.

Tsuritama outsold its timeslot "sibling" Sakamichi no Apollon even if only Blu-ray sales are compared.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) **,459+*1,794=*2,253 (4) (MAPPA, Tezuka Productions/Sentai Filmworks)

DVD (why just this one?)
2012/10/19 **,459 Vol. 4

Blu-ray
2012/07/27 *2,037 Vol. 1 (Three episodes up to Vol. 4)
08/22 *1,839 Vol. 2
09/28 *1,714 Vol. 3
10/19 *1,587 Vol. 4
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 14:39   Link #496
LKK

US release news. Sentai announced that Tsuritama will release on August 20, 2013. It's getting a dub and more importantly IMO a blu-ray release in addition to a dvd release. This is significant because unlike Kids on the Slope which was announced as a blu-ray dub from the start, Tsuritama was originally announced as a sub-only dvd. Thank you to everyone who expressed their interest in the series to Sentai. You're the reason we're getting a blu-ray release. [Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 10:19   Link #497
FireChick

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! TSURITAMA'S GETTING DUBBED!!!!!!!

Now that this is the case, make this happen: Cast Spike Spencer as Haru!!
Old 2013-08-23, 07:32   Link #498
Kakkou
Tch.

Over a year later and absolutely nothing new going on with the title, they're celebrating Natsuki's birthday (August 28) with a noitaminA shop & cafe event like they did with Yuki & Haru's.

They've also drawn something new for the occasion, the most precious Usami family photo ever with the new addition to the family:

Just look at how happy they are (especially Natsuki's proud new big brother face). I can not stop loving this show. Ever. Clearly the staff feel that way too.

They're also serving Natsuki's curry during the event period:
Old 2013-08-23, 19:47   Link #499
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, the Twitter did say they're "not thinking about a sequel till after Gatchaman" or something like that, so maybe there isn't absolutely nothing going on.
Old 2013-08-26, 19:36   Link #500
FireChick

D'awwww. So cute!

Did anyone get the DVDs? I wanted to, but when I got there someone already bought it! How's the English dub?

Tags
fishing, friendship, noitamina