AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-12, 13:00   Link #41
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

23? I thought she was older, in her thirties perhaps. Maybe it's just her...ahem... 'fuller' figure that gave me that impression.

Looking forward to ep.2...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 01:48   Link #42
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Since it is taking me long to download episode two, this is a perfect timing to disclose my first impression for WitchBlade.

Note: I know the comic by name, but I have neither read it nor seen the live-action TV series. This discussion I am applying on the anime solely by its own merits.

To be honest, the guy metamorphosizing to that horny, drill machine, monstrosity was just pretty lame and lack of creativity; GONZO you could do better on that department with the mutant creatures.
For WitchBlade, regards to the atmosphere and the doomsday scent, I'm more rooting for disturbing monster designs that would effectively pull out a WTF? ' ' face on me, and they shouldn't have shunned or casted aside the blood and gore quality of helpless police officers torned to shreds.

Come to think of the mutants in Guyver or the yokushu of Blood+, expecting something of the same caliber in WitchBlade. GONZO should not hold back with the gore fest for WitchBlade, I know it can fare well against either Guyver or Blood+ on that particular department.

Right now I'm warning you all not to expect anything dense or mind breaking as how the plot starts. Since this is somewhat of an original venture for GONZO, they will be just improvising stories at the beginning, so WitchBlade should not be taken seriously for now.
Wait until the show gets on road about midway or when hits the second half, that's likely that the anime will spin the plot for the better. GONZO miraculously salvaged Trinity Blood after the first third of the anime was not on par with plot content, but from the eighth episode until the end the story delivered.

WitchBlade should be taken as a joke or a commodity or just a guilty pleasure to indulge in it. I rather found the first showdown hilarious and filled with lol moments.
Spoiler:

Someone mentioned earlier if WitchBlade won't be too much talk and too little action. Well, episode one progressed on that manner, and since we're talking about an anime niponisation of the comic book, I was imagining the plot to be like those of The Fugitive, the Incredible Hulk, Werewolf, & Renegade TV programs.
Masane and her daughter always on the run while being chased by NSWF, traveling from one spot to another throghout all of Japan and meeting strangers along the way on an episode per episode basis. Each character they meet has a personal conflict that sooner or later will drag Masane into, climaxing with Masane turning into WitchBlade to fix things up and then moving on to the next location.

However, I do not believe that would be case, 'cause it turns to be then WitchBlade will go downhill pretty fast on viewers.

For me WitchBlade is a guilty pleasure I'm indulging in it because of the following equation:

Mamiko Noto's voice + Sex crazed, bad mommy Masane in WitchBlade clad =
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 05:28   Link #43
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Masane and her daughter always on the run while being chased by NSWF, traveling from one spot to another throghout all of Japan and meeting strangers along the way on an episode per episode basis. Each character they meet has a personal conflict that sooner or later will drag Masane into, climaxing with Masane turning into WitchBlade to fix things up and then moving on to the next location.
ACHTUNG! ACHTUNG!

Speed Grapher Alert!!! Speed Grapher Alert!!!
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 09:39   Link #44
Trax
Rock beats scissors

So if I understand correctly, the anime is only loosely based on the comic? The main character and location is completely different, but does it also take place in a different time frame, so it doesn't conflict with the original Witchblade story? It could be a future Witchblade owner, might even make it possible to throw in some Sara Pezzini flashbacks (just like there were flashbacks of other previous owners in the original comic).
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 11:07   Link #45
JShaggy
I like CRABS!!

Send a message via AIM to JShaggy Send a message via Yahoo to JShaggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
So if I understand correctly, the anime is only loosely based on the comic? The main character and location is completely different, but does it also take place in a different time frame, so it doesn't conflict with the original Witchblade story? It could be a future Witchblade owner, might even make it possible to throw in some Sara Pezzini flashbacks (just like there were flashbacks of other previous owners in the original comic).
According to Anime News Network, they said it takes place in the next century, but that's all I understand, considering that I haven't read the comic or seen the live-action version of it. All we know is that they replaced the main character with a Japanese counterpart, and that the anime takes place in Japan. And to be honest, I don't even know what time period the original story took place myself. Has anybody read the original comics to find that out?

JShaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 12:17   Link #46
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShaggy
According to Anime News Network, they said it takes place in the next century, but that's all I understand, considering that I haven't read the comic or seen the live-action version of it. All we know is that they replaced the main character with a Japanese counterpart, and that the anime takes place in Japan. And to be honest, I don't even know what time period the original story took place myself. Has anybody read the original comics to find that out?
According to Wikipedia, Sara Pezzini had her first encounter with the WitchBlade in 1995 New York.

Sara (in the comic book) is slightly older than Masane.

The overall synopsis found in the official website states that Masane lost the memory six years prior to "year zero" which is when the story of the anime begins.
Her encounter with the WitchBlade was followed by a tremendous earthquake that sunk underwater most of Tokyo.
Old 2006-04-13, 15:01   Link #47
twh
Something or other...

Gonna be able to see the second episode raw tonight... and I'm still excited.

Though, I do agree with the concensus that the first... pump'n'claw monster thingie... was kinda lame, I do hope that Witchblade as a whole turns out to be something good. I really do. Not just because our main protagonist is the hottest single mom ever in anime, but also her clothes were spared of her transformation. You don't see that a lot in anime.
twh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 17:33   Link #48
Reppa

Send a message via MSN to Reppa
I watched the first episode and keep thinking of Soul Taker with more T&A. But I have no problems with that.
Reppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 17:53   Link #49
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

You'll see virtually no action in episode two. It is almost dialogue driven, however, for those unfamiliar with the WitchBlade universe, Reiji Takayama explains it is a male aspect to balance the cosmic forces of light and darkness.

Spoiler:

I like the design of the WitchBlade in wristband form. It has glowing, eerie, red eye mounted to sense if danger approaches, which I find cool in a creepy manner.
Spoiler:

And also the second episode introduces another player that's seeking the WitchBlade.
Spoiler:

But seriously, I go WTF? with the erotic rendition of Hitchcock's Psycho theme played when Masane transforms into a sex crazed, busty, demoness dominatrix in WitchBlade clad.
Spoiler:

Mamiko Noto voice proves to play different polarities for each character she voices.

You should check her voice in the roles of Hecate (Shakugan no Shana), Axcela (Solty Rei), and Enma Ai (Jigoku Shoujo), when the characters she portrays lose it and go totally psycho & schizophrenic, going on rampage.

In WitchBlade, her voice makes the transformed Masane go all hormone crazed and predatorial.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-13, 19:08   Link #50
JShaggy
I like CRABS!!

The first two episodes were okay, kind of better than I would've anticipated. But why do I have the feeling that ....

EDIT: .... nevermind.

Other than that, I have to comment that the Witchblade's personality IMO seems similar to that of Nao's in My-HiME/My-Otome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppa
I watched the first episode and keep thinking of Soul Taker with more T&A. But I have no problems with that.
I'm not surprised that you thought that way. The art director for this anime, Junichi Higashi, was the same one who did the art direction for SoulTaker and Speed Grapher, so it's just a mere coincidence that he's doing this one as well.

Last edited by JShaggy; 2006-04-14 at 22:49.
Old 2006-04-13, 20:57   Link #51
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

This show is getting rather interesting. It has solid artwork, animation seems consistant, not a lot of cliches. It's not outstanding in the least, but it looks like it wouldn't suck either, so I am giving it a shot.

My only beef with it... the bust is distracting, especially when she transforms and they do the whole obligatory fanservice shtick with her breasts hanging out in the open. It's just silly and, frankly, quite stupid. If they'd made it two sizes smaller and stopped the idiotic showing off, it would have been perfect.

All in all, a medium-quality little show to take your mind off the deeper stuff.
Old 2006-04-13, 21:55   Link #52
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
This show is getting rather interesting. It has solid artwork, animation seems consistant, not a lot of cliches. It's not outstanding in the least, but it looks like it wouldn't suck either, so I am giving it a shot.

My only beef with it... the bust is distracting, especially when she transforms and they do the whole obligatory fanservice shtick with her breasts hanging out in the open. It's just silly and, frankly, quite stupid. If they'd made it two sizes smaller and stopped the idiotic showing off, it would have been perfect.

All in all, a medium-quality little show to take your mind off the deeper stuff.
I agree that the fanservice borders on the insane erotic, and the music theme of Masane's metamorphosis exaggerates a lot the moaning sounds.

However, as long as it is kept down and not overused, making me laugh, it will not interrupt the flow of the episode to me.

Sincerely, better be that producers grant WitchBlade Masane a properly, fleshed character with consistent motivations to find about herself and for what purpose the WitchBlade chose her as the current wielder.

And they also better to come with better designs with the creatures, though I would prefer them to be demons or mutants instead.

I will reiterate for a last time that the old man with that blondie could be...
Spoiler:

Sorry, I never had seen Soul Taker, therefore, it's hardly for me to make comparison with WitchBlade.
Old 2006-04-14, 15:52   Link #53
Reppa

Send a message via MSN to Reppa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
I agree that the fanservice borders on the insane erotic, and the music theme of Masane's metamorphosis exaggerates a lot the moaning sounds.

Sorry, I never had seen Soul Taker, therefore, it's hardly for me to make comparison with WitchBlade.
Soul Taker hade a lot more violence and bloodshed its not realy need to compare series. I know this may sound bad but Withblade has always been on the sex sells kick .Then again have you seen any of top cows series they're almost as Bad as Itagaki with DoA.
Reppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 16:09   Link #54
twh
Something or other...

However, after purchasing 'Witch Hunt' I was actually impressed with the art and figured I scored lucky since it was not as bad with fanservice as the intial run of Witchblade was, as per Ron Marz's prior experience. So, I may not be able to speak for all of the series, but I do like it under Marz's direction.

And after the second episode, I am still holding out hopes that this is done well.
twh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 14:01   Link #55
Jolaloye

Witchblade (2006)

I was checking out AniDb and I saw they had Witchblade as a new anime out. I'm a big fan of the Witchblade/Darkness comics, but I have seen any trailers for it. Anyone catch a peek yet?

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-04-19 at 02:36. Reason: Threads merged. Please SEARCH before posting a new thread. It will keep you from annoying the moderators or making yourself look stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jolaloye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 04:59   Link #56
JShaggy
I like CRABS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaloye
I was checking out AniDb and I saw they had Witchblade as a new anime out. I'm a big fan of the Witchblade/Darkness comics, but I have seen any trailers for it. Anyone catch a peek yet?
You can see the trailer for yourself right here:

http://www.witchblade.jp/gallery/index.html

The series itself is up to Episode 3 right now, and has a lot of intensity building.

Old 2006-04-19, 21:42   Link #57
Conri

No signs of anyone picking this one up? That's a shame--this series has some promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Conclave (according to AndrewLB's wiki). It's not licensed. But it will be soon (probably by Bandai)...
The fansub group column next to Witchblade is blank now, and no mention of WB on Conclave's site or forum that I could find.

As for fanservice, I think this is tame. The "moans" people hear; I mostly take them as breathing...commonly used for savage/monster types. And after reading 49 issues with covers of Sara Pezzini like this:

...it's like Masane is wearing a suit of armor.
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 14:49   Link #58
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Episode 3 was quite impressive.

Despite the laughable moans and boobs too big for their own good, this episode was rather good. Action smelled of high-production values and the story actually moved along nicely.

The only thing that I found weird was the fact that the crazy, obsessed freaks all look a bit too much like they were lifted off Speed Grapher. The idea is basically a carbon copy. Lets hope it's just a temporary thing and it won't evolve into the annoying Freak of the Week thing that Speed Grapher (and numerous other shows) had.

Spoiler:

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-04-20 at 15:17.
Old 2006-04-21, 11:59   Link #59
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

There's excitement for this week's episode. Action is delivered by courtesy of WMasane, who BTW kicks a**. The first four minutes display how she enjoys turning those horny droids to shreds, and the pleasure she earns from the mayhem ensued. Plus one more minute of her dispatching another of the freaks by near the end of the episode.
We get to listen to the full music of the WitchBlade theme (not the OP); the psycho-esque song.

Synopsis.
Spoiler:

I'm surprised to the attention paid to the details on all of WMasane's facial gestures when deep breathing, experiencing extasis, the small chuckles she pulls out, everytime she grins when a blow is dealt on her but ends up undamaged, etc.

I must apologize for my first impressions on her with all the moaning and the presumed sexual mood that I perceived from WMasane in the first episodes.

We get lots of details and scrutiny about her in episode three to analyze, and I came to the conclusion that WMasane is most behaving as a wild predator. Her deep breathing and instinctive reactions point that she's driven by bloodlust for at least mayhem.
She just wants to have fun and is in for the hunt. I could tell that she's like a rabid wolf driven insane by the slightest scent of blood. This is further evidenced at a certain scene of the episode when WMasane frantically dashes toward the tank droid, as she sticks out her tongue and her eyes flashing bloodlust.

Similar to a rabid beast pouncing on its prey.

And I just love it and find creepy cool a particular manner of WMasane sticking out her tongue and licking all over her lips. A sign that she's savoring the hunt and the rewards she reaps from slicing her victims (the droids).

Nonetheless, one of her highlights were her monologues which thanks to fansubs I was able to understand, since I'm listening to the anime in raw Japanese.

My comprehension skills are very restricted, but this was what I could roughly translate from what I understood.

Quote:

I do not understand at all.

I .....
this thing .....
for no reason .....
WANT TO BEAT TO SHREDS
Quote:

I feel it.
Power.
This sensation...
cannot be stopped.
OK. Making Masane aside, simply put episode three owns. There is lot going with Reiji explaining what's the deal about NSWF and where those droids come from, however, I obviously realize that he's keeping the entire truth from Masane. There's more to the droids, and Takeyama has his own agenda for the WitchBlade.
But for now, he's acting fair to Masane not reveal his true colors and even recruiting her to his side by providing means to find Riko, though I get the hunch that Masane conceded unwillingly and would sooner figure a way out of NSWF for both Riko's safety and hers.

The only negative stuff I'm criticizing this episode for are, first, the droids continue to be the same, lame design. C'mon, GONZO! You can do better than that. Some fu**ing, mind blowing creatures. Second, I particularly disliked those long, frame shots of WMasane when playing with the tank droid at the facility.
Some frames looked like they were recycled and made WMasane's movements as if she was jogging.

God, give me a break!

Also, what's with that red orb thing on WMasane's tongue?
If Masane ever has recollection of being WitchBlade?
And what's with that gray goo stuff coming out from the droids?
(Somebody please tell me that's just the droid's blood and nothing else)
Old 2006-04-21, 12:45   Link #60
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I agree with your observations about bloodlust vs sexual lust. It's clear she's a predator; a monster. I'm glad Gonzo chose to portray her this way, rather than the babe stereotype of the comics.

Spoiler for episode 3:

Okay, there's plenty of sexual imagery going on here. The 'fluid' is open to interpretation of-course; Gonzo would probably have you believe it's lubricant or oil. We are not fooled.

I wish someone would sub this.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote