AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-13, 13:36   Link #41
Katapan
俺様祭り

Okay, this can only end up being the most entertaining anime of spring. Maybe of 2012.

This picture is also all sorts of win:

I really don't know what to make out of these "legacy members"... is anyone else familiar with AKB and equally confused? I mean, you can clearly identify plenty of them. No Yuuko & Mariko though? And is that Sayaka on the far left? Honestly I just want a flashback with that Tomochin-like character appearing so I can make fun of her www - she HAS to if she's got a proper character design!

Edit: Forget what I said, the character section on the official website does confirm that they are anime versions of the actual members. I failed at identifying Yuuko, though there is no Mariko after all (because she didn't audition to get into the group?). Goddess Akimoto Sayaka is there though!! I am now truly excited at the idea of them indeed showing up.

Last edited by Katapan; 2011-12-13 at 16:26.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 14:25   Link #42
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Deconstruction of the music/Japanese Idols... Not so sure what they are getting at from reading the synopsis.
Old 2011-12-13, 14:27   Link #43
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm not sure it's aiming to be a deconstruction. I think it's simply trying to up the stakes by making idols not merely great entertainers, but great entertainers who are fighting (literally or otherwise) for the causes of their people. Behold, the power of art!
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 15:26   Link #44
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
It sounds to me like saving Akihabara or something (when they stopped random performances or something after 2007 or so...).

I think I haven't seen something like this... though I think I found one (where books are censored by some government and there's a group fighting against that... and AKB 0048 is kinda the same except with idols XD)

Wish they will sub it though (the BD I mean)
Old 2011-12-13, 16:54   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Okay, this can only end up being the most entertaining anime of spring. Maybe of 2012.
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly and summarily things can be declared "teh best".
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 17:00   Link #46
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly and summarily things can be declared "teh best".
I said it'd be the most entertaining. Never said it'd be for the right reasons. Don't misunderstand me, I like AKB and all but the synopsis made me laugh uncontrollably as well when I read it due to how unexpected and random it was, and by no means do I expect this to be a masterpiece... I just know I'll get a huge kick out of it.
Old 2011-12-13, 17:05   Link #47
xizro345
King's Justice

I really don't like AKB, but reading the synopsis and how absolutely bonkers it is there's the chance the result can be entertaining, so I'll probably check it out.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 17:11   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I said it'd be the most entertaining. Never said it'd be for the right reasons. Don't misunderstand me, I like AKB and all but the synopsis made me laugh uncontrollably as well when I read it due to how unexpected and random it was, and by no means do I expect this to be a masterpiece... I just know I'll get a huge kick out of it.
Well I have to admit I was completely not expecting them to actually do something creative like this with the whole AKB48 brand name and kind of just expected yet another by the numbers "slice of life" cute girls doing cute things show like K-On and The Idolmaster. I fully support any attempt to do something out of the expected or ordinary with these idol shows that are suddenly all the rage, but I can see this backfiring horrifically due to the touchy fan base for these sorts of things that just does not seem to like things that are different or exotic. I mean look how big a stink people made about iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia for taking the iDOLM@STER characters and putting a sci-fi twist on it instead of playing it straight.

Still really and truly best of luck to them with this if they really do try to do something interesting and it's not another Basquash. If something like this can be daring and succeed by it's audiences standards than maybe it'll convince other producers to come out of their shells and try to break the molds.

I'll probably actually give this a shot now. Really just all I'm looking for from these kinds of shows is to not be so blasé, cookie cutter, and goddamn soul crushingly boring with their premise and direction so if it can manage that then we're in business. That's kind of why I got into anime in the first place after all, the excitement factor that differed so much from what I was seeing from non-prime time American Cartoons in the 90's.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 18:30   Link #49
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I pray that it'll be a great original work I checked winter and spring already.
Old 2011-12-13, 18:35   Link #50
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Fully on board with you here. At first I was like, "They're doing an animated promotion of a famous idol group? Eh." Then it was all FUTURE and SAVE ENTERTAINMENT and RENEGADE IDOLS and I'm like COUNT ME IN. It sounds utterly absurd and I'm totally down with that.
Old 2011-12-13, 20:57   Link #51
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The "power of music" also reminds me of the Legend of Black Heaven.
This wouldn't possibly be as cool as this though.

Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 21:51   Link #52
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Hahaha, WOW.

All hail the Kawamori Blend brand of pot, which continues to bring us such loony goodness to this day. I want just a second-hand whiff of whatever the hell it is, and I want in on this too.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 00:26   Link #53
sa547
*Author

The new info really got my blood going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Fully on board with you here. At first I was like, "They're doing an animated promotion of a famous idol group? Eh." Then it was all FUTURE and SAVE ENTERTAINMENT and RENEGADE IDOLS and I'm like COUNT ME IN. It sounds utterly absurd and I'm totally down with that.
Heck, some of the themes and plot reminded me somewhat of Revolution X, but I hope this show could be a thousand times more potent than that shooter.

Edit:
Spoiler for my crazy-idea poster:

Last edited by sa547; 2011-12-14 at 03:50.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 05:32   Link #54
Undertaker

AKB48 is the hot item in Japane right now, debuting late 2005 name after their power base in Akihabara, they started with 24 girls aged between 13-18 performing shows in AKB48 Theater at Akihabara.

Eventually grow in size to 48 regular members divided into 3 teams (A,K,B) and backup group along with other spin-off groups. This year the adds a 4th team into the regular. Surrently only 6 original member left in the group (others either transfers to sister groups liks SDN48 or graduated ala Morning Musume) Six original members are: Atsuko Maeda, Minami Takahashi, Tomomi Itano, Minami Minegishi, Haruna Kojima, and Natsumi Hirajima.

Except Haruna Kojima being 23, other 5 are either 19 or 20, making their debut age at 13,14.

For past 2-3 years they weren't just on top of Japanese idol industry but on top of Japanese music industry as well. They've being breaking the record left and right, with currently 9 consecutive singles debuting at #1 for opening week and last three debuted as million sellers, incredible feat consider the slow down of CD sales market in Japan since 2001. They also have total of 6 singles sold over a million which puts them over the likes of Pink Ladys, Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasak, and Hikaru Utada.

In would be interesting to see exactly what the anime is about. What I don't get was the core members that was shown in character page seems to denote them with generational-honorifics that doesn't make t much sense.

But I guess that ties into whole saving the world stuff and yes I'm extremely intrigued....

But really, like someone said before, at first I thought this anime is totally about adapting AKB49, but now it seem that this is a brand new project with ambitous stuff...
Old 2011-12-14, 09:52   Link #55
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
This is quite the ambitious project, and I've thought so ever since I first heard about it.

It could either pass or flop, be good or remarkably terrible on a noitaminA-tier (well, at least in terms of their more recent work, such as C) scale. Their target fanbase will likely end up being fans of the iDOLM@STER (including those newly picked up via the currently airing anime series, and the release of iM@S 2 on PS3), and the K-ON! series. I can't really figure out what other type of target market they would aim for.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 10:09   Link #56
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
In would be interesting to see exactly what the anime is about. What I don't get was the core members that was shown in character page seems to denote them with generational-honorifics that doesn't make t much sense.

From what I get the honorifics probably come from the protagonists looking up to them as inspiration for the rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekureiru View Post
Their target fanbase will likely end up being fans of the iDOLM@STER (including those newly picked up via the currently airing anime series, and the release of iM@S 2 on PS3), and the K-ON! series. I can't really figure out what other type of target market they would aim for.
Any AKB48 fan that's not into anime?Looking at what Undertaker just posted it seems AKB48 is a whole lot more mainstream than both K-ON! or iDOLM@STER,the production team is probably hoping that a lot of people that don't normaly watch anime will check this out just because it has AKB48's name on it.
Old 2011-12-14, 11:35   Link #57
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Any AKB48 fan that's not into anime?Looking at what Undertaker just posted it seems AKB48 is a whole lot more mainstream than both K-ON! or iDOLM@STER,the production team is probably hoping that a lot of people that don't normaly watch anime will check this out just because it has AKB48's name on it.
Very true, and it's probably going to work. The anime made headlines on the Oricon website, and it's also getting properly promoted on perfectly mainstream TV programs such as this news snippet showing the audition's winners this morning:

Lol this Mita Mao girl was so surprised when her name was called. There's also a longer video showing all the winners and their lines (starting around the 1:30 mark):

They actually do have a few members that sound fine (especially Nakaya Sayaka at 3:57, her yametekudasai could have fooled me for Nakahara Mai, and the end sounded Itou Kanae-ish, wth?), and whose dream is to become a full-fledged seiyuu. With Aketagawa Jin as the sound director, the result might actually be alright (because I know plenty of people were expecting their ears to bleed at the voice work)!

Thomas Romain mentioned on the Catsuka forums that the series still had quite a few surprises in store, by the way! I'm still really curious as to which timeslot the series will get... probably something good & unexpected.
Old 2011-12-14, 12:29   Link #58
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

What LoweGear expected: Idolm@ster slice-of-life

What LoweGear got: Post Apocalyptic Dystopian Insurrection via the power of MUSIC!!!!!

Consider my interest spiked.

Interesting that both Symphogear and AKB0048 seem to be about 'fighting musicians". Then again, this is Shoji Kawamori, the man who gave us Macross, i.e. the anime origin of weaponized music .

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 12:55   Link #59
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
that the series still had quite a few surprises in store, by the way! I'm still really curious as to which timeslot the series will get... probably something good & unexpected.
You beat me to both points!

I'm definatly intrigued as to what surprises Thomas Romain is talking about,and exactly how many there's left,I'm already kind of overwhelmed by the whole setting already.
And indeed,if we follow the logic of targeting fans that wouldn't normaly watch anime it would seem like a late night block is out of the question.

Last edited by totoum; 2011-12-14 at 13:23.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 13:22   Link #60
sa547
*Author

@Undertaker: thanks for the basic information for those who haven't heard much.
@Katapan: and those vids on the chosen girls.

And changed my sig again. Talk about life after Macross.

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime