AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 07:43   Link #121
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
I think you've taken that slightly out of context. There is a sense of 'regret' to that phrase, but in the sense that it's something that cannot be changed. I would have translated that as "a love that cannot be undone" or "an irrevocable love". The next question (in the next section of the interview) seems to support this. No prizes for guessing who that refers to, especially since the interview is almost 4 years old.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 01:20   Link #122
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I don't think so. They said she retired due to maternity so she probably wasn't defeated when she had the title.
Well, from what we know, Shinobu has been the queen for at least 2 years (3 more likely), and before that Yumi was the queen for at least 1 year. Haruka's kid doesn't seem to be more 3 years old so the timeline does fit.

So, unless Haruka' just relinquished her title and left it vacant, she must have been defeat by someone.

Besides, usually in these type of competitions, when you took leave of absence as a title holder and came back, they'll have a interim title holder and the absentee will get special title match once they returned as active, but that is obviously not the case for Haruka.
Old 2012-08-10, 01:52   Link #123
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Well, from what we know, Shinobu has been the queen for at least 2 years (3 more likely), and before that Yumi was the queen for at least 1 year. Haruka's kid doesn't seem to be more 3 years old so the timeline does fit.
She had two children, and her older one is definitely more than 3 years old. Plus she did mention she had been out of the game for quite a long time.

All things considering, I'm pretty sure she retired undefeated.
Old 2012-08-30, 10:13   Link #124
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quick question: what is the card shown at the end of Chpt. 92, on pg 32?

Spoiler for Spoiler for size:

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 10:54   Link #125
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It's the chihayaburu card.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 20:06   Link #126
GundamZZ
残念美人

The story is getting interesting. No competitor has the absolute advantage. Arata loses the game. Haruka loses the game. Even Murao loses to Taichi. Doesn't it make Taichi the strongest Karuta player in town. Now, he has to face Chihaya. She is his psychological burden. So, the progress will be amusing.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 08:20   Link #127
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

So, say Taichi wins. What would he achieve? Does karuta then become another of Taichi's accomplishments, another trophy to add to his collection? A victory would be a testament to his hard work, his perseverance, and to his mental acuity, his capacity to learn playing techniques (Sudo's backswing) and to apply them appropriately. Also he would prove his mental fortitude, since he would overcome the psychological obstacle Chihaya reprents to him.

Taichi's victory would be a victory for an ethic that has been central to the series, the idea that one should "never give up," which has been Taichi's guiding star throughout the series. It would also be a victory for the technical and analytic approach to karuta that Taichi and Tsutomu emblematize.

Taichi's victory would be the victory of a rationalist and secular conception of karuta.

The question I have then is whether the manga will be content with this disposition of the game. Or does Taichi come up against a new limit, where the heart of karuta is finally understood in spiritual and romantic terms, which are simply not part of Taichi's vocabulary? Here I am thinking of Shinobu's love for the cards, Chihaya's effort to emulate Shinobu's precision of touch, or Chihaya's awareness of Arata's style as a flow of water. These things suggest a different view of karuta than that associated with Taichi. Certainly Suetsugu-sensei is committed to a rational and secular idea of karuta. But I am convinced she has a broader idea of karuta than just that.

So I expect the upcoming match between Taichi & Chihaya to be a test of the mangaka's world views. It will be very interesting

Old 2012-11-26, 01:29   Link #128
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Or does Taichi come up against a new limit, where the heart of karuta is finally understood in spiritual and romantic terms, which are simply not part of Taichi's vocabulary?
Personally, I think Taichi's character development is taking him closer to that understanding, so I don't think he's current game is just technical and analytic.

Furthermore, I believe Arata can feel that Taichi's changing, which is part of the reason he was getting so restless while seeing Taichi play and win over Murao-san.
Old 2012-12-21, 03:58   Link #129
fukarming

If Taichi wins, it will change the status quo which is in place for a long time: Did Chihaya actually loves Arata or just fond of good players? She has said (though treated as a joke) that she is fond of Harada sensei, and there are girl-girl tension between Chihaya and Shinobu. If Taichi can beat Chihaya then maybe Chihaya will finally see Taichi as a man. Of course I am shipping Taichi and Chihaya all the way

btw, it seems the real world of Karuta is always dominated by one player until that player voluntarily retired. The most recent Meijin has won 14 years in a row and I think he will retire and not play next year. So Haruka probably just give up her title without losing.

Some real world Karuta game by Meijin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRm4UB2z7E8
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 19:08   Link #130
Kazu-kun

Well, chapter 103 supports what I said previously about Taichi learning to appreciate the "spiritual and romantic" side of Karuta. The old Taichi would probably have (politely) brushed Kanade's mom off to avoid being distracted right before his match, but the current Taichi listened to her attentively. That scene was there for a reason, specially just before this oh_so_important match.
Old 2012-12-25, 16:51   Link #131
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Interesting. The scene would then parallel the time Kanade teaches Chihaya about each of the cards. Taichi clearly connects Chieko's words about kimono to his own participation in karuta, liking the bowing of the final thread to the time the Mizusawa team bowed to the kami of Omi Jingu. You must be right--Taichi understands himself within the traditional symbolism of Shinto, karuta, and kimono, and not a purely secular game, a sport. Nice catch.

Curious that the end of the road--following the kimono pattern-- is understood as a bowing, a submission. I wonder what that portends for Taichi?

Old 2012-12-25, 17:05   Link #132
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Curious that the end of the road--following the kimono pattern-- is understood as a bowing, a submission. I wonder what that portends for Taichi?
Maybe it has to do with this new playing style of his? It's supposed to be defensive, so it could be interpreted as "submissive", I guess.

It's funny though that Chihaya links Taichi to wind, a wind that is about to hit you. That doesn't sound submissive at all imo.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-12-25 at 17:17.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 00:24   Link #133
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Chihaya thinks that, but then she uses her speed to take the first card in the match, the "Fu" card, which is #22 of the Hundred Poems. Not coicidentally, this is a poem about the wind: "As soon as it blows / the autumn trees and grasses / must droop, and this must be why / quite rightly, the mountain wind / is called "the ravager."" By taking the card, Chihaya essentially claims the wind for herself: it is Taichi who is hit by Chihaya's wind, rather than the other wsy around.

If the bowing is a submission, the submission is one the whole team makes to the kami , which is the specific image Taichi recalls to mind. That would be perhaps a submission to the will of the gods, an acceptance of fate. That could certainly include Taichi's victory--submission to fate or destiny does not necessarily mean defeat.

Old 2012-12-26, 01:39   Link #134
wrigbrede

I just like to see more of Arata and after glancing at vol 15
wrigbrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 05:23   Link #135
Blaat

Spoilers for 105 are out a certain rather illegal manga site (so no link) and it looks like
Spoiler for 105:

I also rechecked the first chapter and not surprisingly Chihaya is currently wearing the same kimono as in the Queen match.

So with the second season starting in two weeks where do you guys think the second season will end? The first season covered 50 chapters aiming for the end of the school year with (lots of?) skipping and rushing at the end.
Currently there are are no real good cutting off points, do you think they'll include the current fight? It would make for a dramatic conclusion to the series.
Old 2012-12-29, 15:35   Link #136
Undertaker

I assuming you are talking about, Baidu Chinese forums/message board. It not as illegal as you think, considering that most manga license for Chinese version aren't restrict to Hong Kong and Taiwan and does not cover mainland China, it's complicated.

But yes, the development is really interesting lately with Chihaya and Taichi both shifting their goals...

And it now seems to me that:

Spoiler for On playing at best::
Old 2012-12-29, 22:53   Link #137
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post

So with the second season starting in two weeks where do you guys think the second season will end? .
Through second year team championship finals. Climax to the whole team vs individual theme already at work in the first season. Third season will take Chihaya to the series conclusion.

Old 2012-12-30, 19:31   Link #138
Undertaker

Depend on how long the series is, but I agree it'll probably ends around V15 when the School National ends.

The next natural break point is after the individual final for A class in the High School Nationals.
Old 2012-12-31, 04:12   Link #139
Blaat

104 has been scanlated and it is great.
Quote:
The next natural break point is after the individual final for A class in the High School Nationals.
I'll be guessing it will be this one. It would be kind of weird to end it right in the middle of a tournament or right before the individual high school tournament starts to be really exact. Admittedly I'm not really familiar in between the scanlated gap. So I'm really looking forward to the second season.
Quote:
I assuming you are talking about, Baidu Chinese forums/message board. It not as illegal as you think, considering that most manga license for Chinese version aren't restrict to Hong Kong and Taiwan and does not cover mainland China, it's complicated.
While the original spoilers were posted there the translation was posted on another English manga site.
Old 2012-12-31, 17:11   Link #140
Undertaker

Not quite sure the gap in English scan (have to check on that) since I only read it in Chinese and purchase them as new volumes are available.

Unless they change a lot for the anime (which I doubt consider the change in S1 was minimal and mostly toward the last few episodes.) there is a pretty big and unavoidable subplot between Arata and Shinobu so ending before the second day would just be weird.

Tags
josei, karuta