AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-11-18, 04:38   Link #101
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Well I am slightly disappointed there is no large two handed sword but. OMG Manly fist action I heartily approve.

Does it seem a little.. cartoony though?
If he had a sword taller then him then would it be "cartoony". However that's a strange thing to complain about on a anime board.
Old 2010-11-18, 12:15   Link #102
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
If he had a sword taller then him then would it be "cartoony". However that's a strange thing to complain about on a anime board.
Oh wasn't the actual character model I felt was too 'cartoony'. More some of the mobs that were shown and animation style.
Old 2010-11-20, 00:06   Link #103
Xion Valkyrie

Boat 4 is confirmed for December 1st!
http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Cont...ontentNo=00ACR
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 01:23   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We're trying this for a week or so at the house. Pluses and minuses so far .... the Source game engine obviously has a lot of potential ... be interesting to see if the design team takes this past the hints of the potential.

Random notes:

UI Mode switching takes some getting used to if you're used to FPS or typical MMO layout. Not nearly as bad as some games since the WASD layout is still core but still tinkering to see if some anomalies can be corrected (like the WASD not really being an "over the shoulder point of view").

The initial 3 characters (2 female) are obviously giving a lot of the less secure players some issues with their delusions of manliness ... the player base seems to have a large percentage of the "usual idiots" and the chat tool doesn't really help much to manage that. chat spammers make town chat basically useless. Chat tool is .... awkwardly ancient feeling and lacks a lot of usefulness (e.g. "ignore" feature?).

Actual combat mechanics and effects are very fun, I like actually being able to run behind a pillar to avoid arrowfire and catch a breath. The mobs seem to have the same restrictions - they get tired, they miss, etc.

Okay, having equipment damage actually reflected on the character is very cool... minus points for it all automatically being fixed on return to town. You have to go shopping anyway so it'd be more immersive to have the vendors fix them. Crafting is interesting (as in you bring the mats in and the vendor does the work).

Meh, there are wonky bits common to many f2p mmo... the setting is interesting (Dark Age of Camelot feeling) and you get used to the goofy "visual novel" interactions (with no way to speed up much of it). The instances are nice, remindful of DDO so you're not annoyed with idiots while you're questing.

So far, pretty interesting AS LONG as they're clear that it is still pretty skeletal in a number of ways.

I will never understand the "korean" fixation on not letting you reroll characters with the same name. Sometimes I'll design a character, get ingame and figure out he/she looks like crap or that I don't like the class... so I reroll and most games let me reuse the name.... but not many Korean games. Some of them forever bury the name, some make you wait a day/week. The most hilarious was one game that locked the slot with a crying character for a week before it died. Every time you logged in the character stood in the character choice line begging you to save it

In general, I'm giving it a thumbs up so far (only gotten to lvl 15) though - free is good, though I haven't really looked to see if the cash shop is prudent (like Grand Fantasia, DOMO, etc) or a rapefest like the EQ2 F2P version is (I play eq2 over on the monthly sub servers).
Old 2010-11-24, 04:41   Link #105
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We're trying this for a week or so at the house. Pluses and minuses so far .... the Source game engine obviously has a lot of potential ... be interesting to see if the design team takes this past the hints of the potential.

Random notes:

UI Mode switching takes some getting used to if you're used to FPS or typical MMO layout. Not nearly as bad as some games since the WASD layout is still core but still tinkering to see if some anomalies can be corrected (like the WASD not really being an "over the shoulder point of view").
It's not really supposed to be over the shoulder, it's supposed to be God of War esque. It also supports a gamepad by default, if that's what you're more comfortable with.

Quote:

The initial 3 characters (2 female) are obviously giving a lot of the less secure players some issues with their delusions of manliness ... the player base seems to have a large percentage of the "usual idiots" and the chat tool doesn't really help much to manage that. chat spammers make town chat basically useless. Chat tool is .... awkwardly ancient feeling and lacks a lot of usefulness (e.g. "ignore" feature?).
Ignore is /block

Quote:

Actual combat mechanics and effects are very fun, I like actually being able to run behind a pillar to avoid arrowfire and catch a breath. The mobs seem to have the same restrictions - they get tired, they miss, etc.

Okay, having equipment damage actually reflected on the character is very cool... minus points for it all automatically being fixed on return to town. You have to go shopping anyway so it'd be more immersive to have the vendors fix them. Crafting is interesting (as in you bring the mats in and the vendor does the work).
The equipment damage/repair system is a bit weird in this game. Each equipment has durability, which gets lowered when you get hit in dungeons. When they go to 0 durability, they break in the dungeon, and you have to fix it. When you finish the dungeon or when you return to town, the durability gets reset. However, as you use your armors through dungeons, you lose condition. If you look at your equipment, you'll notice that there's a condition bar. Every time you enter a new dungeon, or every time you change zones within a dungeon, the condition of your items drops by a certain amount: helmet[6], gloves[4], chest[2/3], leggings[2/3], boots[2], weapon[1/2], shield[1/2]. When your condition is low, your durability on the items is lowered (items break much easier). When it hits 0, your item 'breaks', and you can't equip it again until you go ot Ferghus to get it repaired. The repairing cost is based on the level of your item, the type of item it is, and the deterioration on your item. For every point of condition Ferghus restores, it adds 1 point to its deterioration. This means that after a while, the deterioration on an item can cause an item to become very expensive to repair. You don't notice this in boat 1 because boat 1 doesn't make you lose condition, however, starting from boat 2 you'll soon notice that you have to repair your hat quite often.

Quote:

I will never understand the "korean" fixation on not letting you reroll characters with the same name. Sometimes I'll design a character, get ingame and figure out he/she looks like crap or that I don't like the class... so I reroll and most games let me reuse the name.... but not many Korean games. Some of them forever bury the name, some make you wait a day/week. The most hilarious was one game that locked the slot with a crying character for a week before it died. Every time you logged in the character stood in the character choice line begging you to save it
I believe it's 1 month for Vindictus. However, there's a bug right now in that if you take a name of a character that was previously deleted, you can't access the Marketplace or Item Shop. It's supposed to be fixed on Dec 1 though.

Quote:
In general, I'm giving it a thumbs up so far (only gotten to lvl 15) though - free is good, though I haven't really looked to see if the cash shop is prudent (like Grand Fantasia, DOMO, etc) or a rapefest like the EQ2 F2P version is (I play eq2 over on the monthly sub servers).
Cash shop is mostly aesthetics. Although you can buy tokens which extend your play time (however, you can buy them from the in game Marketplace too). There's also underwear and hairs that add +LUK, which isn't all that useful right now, but will give a slight advantage later on when boss drops become more useful (still a very tiny advantage though). There's also some items you can get that aren't in the game which give nice stats (bunny ears, sunglasses), but those can be sold in game too, so you can get them without paying real money.

Overall, it has one of the more balanced cash shops I've seen.
Old 2010-11-24, 16:27   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
It's not really supposed to be over the shoulder, it's supposed to be God of War esque. It also supports a gamepad by default, if that's what you're more comfortable with.
oye, no I'm not a console/gamepad fan at all. But I've gotten used to the UI now.

Quote:
Ignore is /block
Thanks... though that still means you have to type the blaggard's name in (may ffdhhdlflsgshgh die die die ) I'm really fond of the r-click-name-poof tools that many MMOs have. I'm even more fond of the report-and-they-die tool (Warhammer).

Quote:
The equipment damage/repair system is a bit weird in this game. Each equipment has durability, which gets lowered when you get hit in dungeons. When they go to 0 durability, they break in the dungeon, and you have to fix it. When you finish the dungeon or when you return to town, the durability gets reset. However, as you use your armors through dungeons, you lose condition. If you look at your equipment, you'll notice that there's a condition bar. Every time you enter a new dungeon, or every time you change zones within a dungeon, the condition of your items drops by a certain amount: helmet[6], gloves[4], chest[2/3], leggings[2/3], boots[2], weapon[1/2], shield[1/2]. When your condition is low, your durability on the items is lowered (items break much easier). When it hits 0, your item 'breaks', and you can't equip it again until you go ot Ferghus to get it repaired. The repairing cost is based on the level of your item, the type of item it is, and the deterioration on your item. For every point of condition Ferghus restores, it adds 1 point to its deterioration. This means that after a while, the deterioration on an item can cause an item to become very expensive to repair. You don't notice this in boat 1 because boat 1 doesn't make you lose condition, however, starting from boat 2 you'll soon notice that you have to repair your hat quite often.
Interesting, I like it a bit better than DAOC (where things wear out) and much better than most MMOs where "things are eternal". I was just saying it'd be more fun if you had drag into town with your gear shot to hell

Quote:
I believe it's 1 month for Vindictus. However, there's a bug right now in that if you take a name of a character that was previously deleted, you can't access the Marketplace or Item Shop. It's supposed to be fixed on Dec 1 though.
Ah, I'll see if my pet list of names frees up then. That also explains one character's blindness to the market I guess.

The name-locks are just a very odd feature of asian-sourced MMOs to me.

Quote:
Cash shop is mostly aesthetics. Although you can buy tokens which extend your play time (however, you can buy them from the in game Marketplace too). There's also underwear and hairs that add +LUK, which isn't all that useful right now, but will give a slight advantage later on when boss drops become more useful (still a very tiny advantage though). There's also some items you can get that aren't in the game which give nice stats (bunny ears, sunglasses), but those can be sold in game too, so you can get them without paying real money.
Sounds like DOMO where you aren't necessarily locked out of fun things (but you may pay millions of quatloos for something). Yeah I looked over the cash shop after I posted. Some of the underwear might be nice so your longjohns don't stick out of some gear O.o but nothing seemed utterly essential.

My opinion goes up the more I play... I played DDO for a year or so and this has that same "hub-instance" feel but without a lot of the wonky that annoyed me in DDO.

I still laugh (or cry) at some of the player names though... "Imnotagurl" (sword/board), "Alphamale" (on a female sorc). I'm going through the first 20 levels or so with one of each class just to see which playstyle appeals more...

I normally play EQ2 these days (a much more leisurely game with miles of stuff to do) but this is making a great change of pace with the action level.
Old 2010-11-24, 16:48   Link #107
Elvin

Quote:
Thanks... though that still means you have to type the blaggard's name in (may ffdhhdlflsgshgh die die die ) I'm really fond of the r-click-name-poof tools that many MMOs have. I'm even more fond of the report-and-they-die tool (Warhammer).
The gold spammers found a way to make block useles anyway
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 17:43   Link #108
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Spoiler for snip:

What server are you on? If on West, what's your IGN? I can give you a hand if you're having trouble with things. I'm just killing time atm while waiting on the content update on dec 1st.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 21:52   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks...not really "having trouble" as such, just figuring out which class I prefer and if we (sons and I) want to stick with it. Haven't really settled on any characters yet.

I've only found three *real* complaints:
1) 30 day hold on name if you reroll a character -- sorry, but this is just stupid, just as it is on any asian-sourced mmo. I've never heard a good explanation for this bit of idiocy.

2) The use of Internet Explorer hooks to run in-game features (like the marketplace). I run with Firefox as my default browser and the marketplace/help wouldn't work until I made Internet Explorer my default browser (and it took some serious research to find that solution). What *is* the Korean fascination with Internet Explorer? I remember a game that actually used an ActiveX plug-in under IE to *login* to their game. Utter security fail choice on that and they got terrible grief for it.

3) The chat tool is pretty awkward and old-fashioned.

Otherwise, the actual gameplay is fun, the crafting is interesting (you actually have to do a bit of thinking), and the cash shop seems nicely restrained.
Old 2010-11-26, 10:03   Link #110
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
What *is* the Korean fascination with Internet Explorer? I remember a game that actually used an ActiveX plug-in under IE to *login* to their game. Utter security fail choice on that and they got terrible grief for it.
The way I understand it Korean internet and websites use only Internet Explorer. Another strange thing there is requiring (korean) social security numbers on every site. Korea is like this island civilazation as far as web/internet culture goes (ever try searching for korean wikis for games? don't bother).

Anyhow, I'm guessing the logic is: "Since everyone (in korea) uses IE, and we already have a this database with sensitive data (KSSN), we'll just hook the login into the website to avoid duplication." When their games are eventually exported to us, we get the same system since every game distributor out there only has the most vague idea of quality, and what players want. Not to mention communication generally is minimal (bugs/translation issues at most). That, and it's likely convenient to not have to worry about separate authentication branches in the source tree (let's face it, they fail at internalization enough as is).
Old 2010-11-26, 20:37   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, that was my research... but *why/how* Microsoft buried so deep into Korean internet infrastructure is probably one of those scary fireside tales.

In other news.... what is it with the frantic auto-switching of channels in the game? I can barely get the next /block doofus typed in before it switches channels to give me a whole new list of spam idiots to block. Hard to even casually chat...
Old 2010-11-27, 20:28   Link #112
Xion Valkyrie

Hmm, my default internet browser is Opera, and it works fine with the Marketplace/Depot. In fact, my friends use Firefox as default, and they never noticed anything with the Depot/Marketplace not working.
Old 2010-11-28, 02:23   Link #113
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Yeah, that was my research... but *why/how* Microsoft buried so deep into Korean internet infrastructure is probably one of those scary fireside tales.

In other news.... what is it with the frantic auto-switching of channels in the game? I can barely get the next /block doofus typed in before it switches channels to give me a whole new list of spam idiots to block. Hard to even casually chat...
That's an easy fix, just manually move yourself to any channel above 150 and you'll avoid the spammers, and you won't do that funky auto channel hopping. It'll happen occasionally but its hardly noticeable. I would afk an entire day or night and still be in the same channel.
Old 2010-11-28, 14:11   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
That's an easy fix, just manually move yourself to any channel above 150 and you'll avoid the spammers, and you won't do that funky auto channel hopping. It'll happen occasionally but its hardly noticeable. I would afk an entire day or night and still be in the same channel.
Gave that a try after I saw your post, thanks - much more peaceful now. Still not clear why the game devs think either channel hopping or the lack of a convenient ignore feature isn't a "good idea"

Random: I hate the 'scarlet witch' gear which doesn't fit in with the general period motif at all (its a witchy schoolgirl look for those who haven't played) ... the blood silk gear (next level gear set) looks much better though. Still trying to decide between mage or sword/board though for playstyle though. Both have pretty satisfying action elements.
Old 2010-11-28, 17:58   Link #115
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Gave that a try after I saw your post, thanks - much more peaceful now. Still not clear why the game devs think either channel hopping or the lack of a convenient ignore feature isn't a "good idea"

Random: I hate the 'scarlet witch' gear which doesn't fit in with the general period motif at all (its a witchy schoolgirl look for those who haven't played) ... the blood silk gear (next level gear set) looks much better though. Still trying to decide between mage or sword/board though for playstyle though. Both have pretty satisfying action elements.
Well, Sweetie Bear set totally doesn't fit AT ALL, but we all love it. Btw, Blood Silk set is not craftable until December 1st, as it uses boss drops from boat 4.
Old 2010-11-28, 21:09   Link #116
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Well, Sweetie Bear set totally doesn't fit AT ALL, but we all love it. Btw, Blood Silk set is not craftable until December 1st, as it uses boss drops from boat 4.
Yeah the sweetie bear outfit is basically those cutsie j-pop / k-pop idol winter costumes.
Old 2010-11-28, 21:34   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not really objecting (they are cute outfits), its just kind of jarring with their "celtic setting" Same goes for the sunglasses and many other items... it wouldn't have taken a lot of thought to make "celtic"ish versions of the outfits that were still sexy.

Yeah, I'd read that about the 'blood silk' ... curious to see how big the patch is going to be on the first.

More worrisome are the server instabilities and client/server barfs currently hindering instancing.
Old 2010-11-29, 02:37   Link #118
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
I'm not really objecting (they are cute outfits), its just kind of jarring with their "celtic setting" Same goes for the sunglasses and many other items... it wouldn't have taken a lot of thought to make "celtic"ish versions of the outfits that were still sexy.

Yeah, I'd read that about the 'blood silk' ... curious to see how big the patch is going to be on the first.

More worrisome are the server instabilities and client/server barfs currently hindering instancing.
I think the content might already be in the game. They just need to 'turn it on' so to speak. There's random boat 4/5 items being fished up, so the items are probably in, at least partially. This means that the translations probably have to be in too, so they're just preventing us from accessing it.
Old 2010-12-01, 03:37   Link #119
Xion Valkyrie

Hmm, patch might be out in 1.5 hours assuming they don't extend the maintenance.
Old 2010-12-01, 15:54   Link #120
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And a pretty substantial patch it is.... bleh, so much for playing at lunch time.

edit: and...... no new character class. I guess the instabilities and bugs made them back off: which is a good thing compared to some games that keep dumping new stuff in without fixing old stuff.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-12-01 at 18:19.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, mmorpg