AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2004-09-22, 22:01   Link #21
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
What you are missing is a codec. Its a peice of instruction that a video player needs in order to play videos.

Message to Xris "I've copied your guide since its so helpful"

9 timeout of 10, this is a codec problem. Very easy to fix.

i) Download ffdshow 2004-07-25
ii) Remove all previously installed codecs you have, and I mean all.
iii) Install ffdshow.

Just in case it wasn't clear, uninstall all previously installed codecs, they only clash and interfere with each other. You only need ffdshow.

If you don't like the idea of removing all your old codecs, then don't, you may be able to resolve the problem by just updating or installing to the latest ffdshow codec (but the general consensus is to just have the one codec installed, there will be less problems that way).

Look at the stickies in the Playback Help forum to find the latest version of ffdshow (see this thread).

Plus I would recommend downloading and using the latest version of Media Player Classic (2000/XP or 98/Me build)
Old 2004-10-07, 15:58   Link #22
fourheadedmoose
Fourheadedmoose

Talking Hi!

Hi everyone. I'm new to basically almost everything that this site concerns. I am experiencing the exact same problems as Yujinbito did. In fact I am downloading Naruto episodes 1-10 and I have about 50% of it done. The first five files seem to be 'completed' and I have tried the copy and paste method to no avail. If anyone can tell me if there is a problem with the file, my codecs or if the file is just basically not fully downloaded as some of you suggested then please say! I would be interested in what happened with your case, Yujinbito. When they were finally downloaded did the files load alright or were they still a bit buggered? Anyone who has answers please let me know. (Either that or I will have to wait about 8 hours...)
Old 2004-10-08, 04:12   Link #23
fourheadedmoose
Fourheadedmoose

Hi again everyone!

This is just for future reference and those who may in the future also experience the same problem. Yes, fi you are downloading a whole batch, then once the whole download finishes all your files will work fine, but until the whole thing finishes then you can't watch the episodes, even though they seem to be downloading in order. I have no idea why that is, because the file sizes do not alter when you finish the download, but that's how it works anyways! Enjoy the wait!
Old 2004-10-23, 06:27   Link #24
defenestrator

Hi, I've been lurking around here but this is my first official post... asking for help. ^^"

I've been having issues with sound for all the movies and episodes I've downloaded. It's there, but every minute or so, there'll be a high-pitched beep interrupting it. It happens with everything I've downloaded, from all different sources. I use WMP 10 to play it. Is this normal, or is there something I need to install?

And as for the issues with downloading in a batch... it's probably because your program allocates hard disk space to the files before the download begins, so it looks like all the files are already the size they are after download. Even when they seem completed, it's most likely they aren't really, and if you try to play it, you will have a lot of skips or an error message (if you can play it, it's because the file that says where all the pieces go has been downloaded, but all the pieces haven't been downloaded yet). They don't download in order, the pieces you get are random depending on the people you're connected to.

Hope that helps!
Old 2004-10-23, 19:01   Link #25
muramasa007

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukaru11221
Hi, I'm completely new to the forums here, but not forums in general... ok here's my prob:

I downloaded Ragnarok Animation 1-5, right? I got through it fine, blah blah blah, but when I play it, it won't let me, it tells me "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play." I know the file isn't corrupted because I have cox and such, and there doesn't appear to be any damage whatsoever. And when I try to search online for "extensions" it doesn't help at all. Anyhow, I'm using Windows Media Player, anyone know how to help? ^^;;
Here u could probaly try a different media player like...Winamp its even better cuz u it actually plays a lot of codecs like xvid and its good for ppl who cant find a better media player...like for example naruto u cant play naruto on divx right? well it has xvid and winamp has everything installed through it!
Old 2004-11-01, 09:01   Link #26
Aerodynamic

Pls help

Hi there...great guide to help ppl,but I have a problem of my own that I can't solve...I recently reformatted my com,and reinstalled window media player 9,and have already downloaded codec pack lv 1,but I could only hear the audio...And at the bottom of the screem,it says "error downloading codec"...I have use this b4,and in the past,all I have to do is to install lv 1 codec pack,and it will work...pls help....thanks in advance...
Old 2004-11-01, 16:41   Link #27
xKira

Question problems....

hi, i'm new to the forums. my files download fine and i checked and the downloads were finished an uncorrupted...so bittornado says. but when i try to watch the episode, its fine for the first few seconds, then it becomes choppy and pixelated. i downloaded the VLC media player and it still doesn't work. i downloaded all the codecs except the lvl 2 one cuz i couldn't get to the site. can someone help me?
Old 2004-12-26, 09:14   Link #28
yuck

hi, got question here... i just finished downloading gundam seed destiny 1 - 5 and 6 -10
then whenever i tried to open that folder(GSD1-5 and GSD6-10) it start to crash "not responding"
i have to ctrl+alt+del and "end task" the folder

This is not the first time for me, usually if i download a file.avi and save it to folder "A", then that folder "A" become somewhat corrupted, it start to crash and "not responding" everytime i open that folder. And usually the solution is to delete the file.avi

sometimes i can play the file by opening windows media play->file->open... browse the file. But this time (withe gundam seed destiny problem) i tried to do that and windows media player crash too "not responding"

thanks in advance and pardon my english

btw im using k++ codec, and thinking about uninstall it and follow the guide in this forum
Old 2004-12-26, 09:22   Link #29
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuck
btw im using k++ codec, and thinking about uninstall it and follow the guide in this forum
I had a similar problem about a year ago when I installed the XviD beta releases. I would certainly recomend you remove any codec pack and install ffdshow, I have no problems at all using this and Media Player Classic. I'll add my usual codec recommendation as I'm sure it's applicable in this situation

---
Since this question is asked so many times, this is a standard reply cut and pasted

9 timeout of 10, this is a codec problem. Very easy to fix.

i) Download ffdshow 2004-07-25
ii) Remove all previously installed codecs you have, and I mean all.
iii) Install ffdshow.

Just in case it wasn't clear, uninstall all previously installed codecs, they only clash and interfere with each other. You only need ffdshow.

If you don't like the idea of removing all your old codecs, then don't, you may be able to resolve the problem by just updating or installing to the latest ffdshow codec (but the general consensus is to just have the one codec installed, there will be less problems that way).

Look at the stickies in the Playback Help forum to find the latest version of ffdshow (see this thread).

Plus I would recommend downloading and using the latest version of Media Player Classic (2000/XP or 98/Me build)
---
P.S. ffdshow is not a "codec pack". In most cases codec packs cause more problems than they solve (since the interfere with existing codecs). General advice concerning codec packs is to uninstall them.
---
Old 2005-12-25, 22:20   Link #30
Tennisprincess15
Keeper of the Rackets

Send a message via AIM to Tennisprincess15 Send a message via Yahoo to Tennisprincess15
The problem I have is not for a certain file or player, but for everything. Whenever I play a video (whether it be windows media player or a file uploaded on the internet) the videos are pink and green ect. I tried installing level 1 of the Media Configuration Guide but it didn't do anything. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Old 2005-12-26, 07:45   Link #31
LytHka
Banned

The Media Configuration Guide is outdated, as indicated. Try AnimeSuki's Playback Help which is up-to-date. But have you considered that it may not be a "codecs'" problem at all? Try updating your video drivers if the problem won't go away after following AnimeSuki's Playback Help.
Old 2005-12-26, 23:00   Link #32
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Ok so I was playing around with Virtual DUB MOD and I recently reinstalled windows and now all the Matroska container files I saved do not work I get alot of errors tring to open them and I have installed FFDSHOW(the latest build). Before I reinstalled windows I had a ton of different codecs that were probably helping VDM to open and save in those types of formats, I cannot remember the codecs so If anyone here uses VDM and has everything to make it open all types of container files feel free to dumpsome codec links for me.

Thanks.(sorry if post is in a mess I had to do it quickly.)
Old 2006-01-15, 04:07   Link #33
xzer0joker

I've got a question

I d/l the matroska pack on the main site, but when I play mkv files on MPC, it does not not show the subtitles. I tried changing the subtitle language from the navigate menu, but the only options are a blank and unknown 1. Neither of these help.The only time i can see subs is on VLC, but IMO it's not as good as MPC. Does anyone know how to fix this. Otherwise I'll just have to settle with VLC. Much thanks in advance.
Old 2006-01-16, 12:22   Link #34
BoygetsfireD
can I turn into a panda?

Send a message via AIM to BoygetsfireD
Haali question

I couldn't find anything about this in any other threads, so I'm asking here:

I've just gotten into fansubs again, and I found out that I need something that will split MKV files.
So I downloaded the Haali Matroska Splitter, but I still can't watch the fansubs (I'm using WMP for windows XP).
I'm guessing that theres something else I need to download to see the series, but what is it?

Thanks
Old 2006-01-16, 12:31   Link #35
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Haali splitter is, as the name implies, only a splitter - it splits the media "streams" in to different components, such as video, audio, subtitle, etc. Along with the splitter, you need the decoder (codec) for each streams. Most audio and video issues can be solved by installing ffdshow. The latest version is listed on AnimeSuki's Playback Help. The latest version (not the version listed on sourceforge website) is essential to playing h.264 encoded content.

Otherwise, your explanation of the problem is not very clear - we can't tell exactly what's wrong. Is the video not showing? Audio not playing? Both? Or do you get some error message? Player crashes?
Old 2006-01-16, 14:00   Link #36
BoygetsfireD
can I turn into a panda?

Send a message via AIM to BoygetsfireD
sorry abou the lack of clarity.
When I try to use WMP, it gives me the message that "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I'll try downloading ffdshow first, though

Thanks

EDIT: nevermind, since this doesn't seem to be a common problem, I'll make a separate thread for it

Last edited by BoygetsfireD; 2006-01-17 at 15:30.
Old 2006-04-16, 19:04   Link #37
Bullet2k4

you people shouldnt rely on codecs

the all in one media player.plays just about any video type.yes inculding .ogm and .mkv

www.videolan.org

to use subtitles

play video

go to video options

subtitles

To change the audio of the vid

go to the audio option
Old 2006-04-17, 09:47   Link #38
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet2k4
you people shouldnt rely on codecs

[snip]
Eh, VLC wouldn't work without codecs. It just has built-in ones. Also, it might be better to recommend MPlayer (MPUI build, KK build) as (to my knowledge) its softsub support is superior (but still limited). Still, using a DirectShow based playback solution that allows use of VSFilter (and CoreAVC if needed) is preferable, as long as the current state of softsub support in MPlayer and VLC does not change.
Old 2006-04-17, 10:02   Link #39
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Another thing I dont like the VLC or the Mplayer Interface...
Its good to be rescourceful like you, however most people just want their WMP to play it. So Directshow is here to stay, until its done away with.
Old 2006-06-15, 16:58   Link #40
Bannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
I: How do i play .mkv (matroska) files?

S: Install what's suggested at level 6 of the Media Configuration Guide.

].

I did download the Matroska files there, and get two files One "Release unicode" and the other one "Release"

But what to do with these two files? I cant install them or unzip them? Im not very good at computers, so please inform me with the next step. So i might once and for all solve this mkv problem

Regards Bannii