AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-06-08, 22:42   Link #281
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Hell, if the terrans had the freedom gundam, no more zerg worries ever! Just himat all of the zergies outta here!
Old 2007-06-09, 05:56   Link #282
Knightmare213

The thing about Zerg's superiority is that you can make a swarm of Zerglings faster than any of basic ground units. As everyone here would know you get two Zerglings at a price of one. Compare that to Protoss Zealots. Yes the Zealot's shield and stronger attack power makes them superior against...say a small amount of them. However, when you bring a crapload of Zerglings...well, with great skills its practically an instant GG. I've seen some StarLeague battles end within 10 minutes (as I believe that an average is about 30 minutes) as some Zerg players used Zerglings only to win.

Another thing about the Mothership: as powerful as it maybe, yes it should never be sent into action alone, whether you're desperate or not. When I would sent it in to battle, I would be sending it with few Corsairs and/or Scouts as support units. If possible, few Carriers as well. I suppose having some Shield Rechargers wouldn't hurt either, would it?

Also, the bain of existence for Carriers would be the Goliaths, especially after their missile range gets upgraded. That's why I'd retreat if I see few squads of Goliaths heading to my fleet of Carriers, unless I was willing to take the risk and wipe the Goliaths out (and probably end the skirmish with a Pyrrhic victory).
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 14:01   Link #283
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

I seen noobs that can't hold off a carriers raid with entire screen of Goliaths because he was too lazy to direct the Goliaths to target 1 carrier at a time so he used target ground behind the carriers instead :P

Lession here: some times units seem under power because the user is an idiot, and the idiot was stupid enough to make a youtube to bitch about it.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 22:05   Link #284
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I can't recall seeing goliaths used in multiplayer games. Might just be my experience, but people are citing their usage a lot - weren't they considered one of the crappier Terran units?
Old 2007-06-09, 22:26   Link #285
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I can't recall seeing goliaths used in multiplayer games. Might just be my experience, but people are citing their usage a lot - weren't they considered one of the crappier Terran units?
Erm... I would consider them to be one of the best Terran units. Especially when used in conjunction with Siege Tanks. Siege Tanks provide a lot firepower, but need protection against fast melee units and enemy air units. Marines are a possibility, but lack the range and firepower needed for rapid takedowns. Goliaths are cheap in terms of supply too, considering the amount of bang they give per buck (their missile damage upgrade is the highest damage upgrade value in the game).

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-09, 23:53   Link #286
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
In pro-games I've seen, when a Terran player had heavily invested in Siege Tank techs+ hoverbikes and built numerous factories to that effect, the only effective way to counter the sudden appearance of carriers is to build Goliaths. Other counters like ghost lockdowns (out of fashion these days) and Wraith cloaking (more common) would require building of additional structures, which would take too long.

What pros counter against Carriers depend on what they've already got; if they have either numerous starports or factories. And since Siege tanks seem to be the backbone of most Terran armies these days, Goliaths seem the obvious air counter.
Old 2007-06-10, 22:29   Link #287
oi_pinoy

Quote:
I'm sorry i'll quote you too. Terran player. =P

I mostly recommend using goliaths in aid of siege tanks. Marines lacks life and damage while goliaths has a fair life and great dmg in aircrafts. I also prefer dendrium (gundam version, forgot the name.. The big black ball flying) bringing him helps alot, shield + shockwave. ^^ Bye protoss shields. xP
oi_pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 22:41   Link #288
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
mnnn... u use goliaths when u go metal against protoss...(goliaths,tanks,vultures)
when against zerg marines and medics, tanks and vessels.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 22:48   Link #289
oi_pinoy

Nope, i don't i also use desame.. Zerg is a very strong opponent. I really am pissed when someone uses defiler on me. So i would irradiate it asap. ^_^

edit: and those mutalisk.. Marines can't kill them asap so i use goliath. Hehe..
oi_pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 23:26   Link #290
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Hmm... I guess it depends on what combo you go with. Goliaths always seemed very easily overtaken by zerglings and even hydralisks, though. (I'm a zerg player.)
Old 2007-06-11, 00:23   Link #291
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Goliaths are good, but you won't have them for the first half anyway. If you do rush to get Goliaths, I highly doubt you have much advances over your enemies; unless they are noobs.

Most matches I saw on youtube with the pros had the 3 soldier 3 land machine output. Yes, marines and firebats have low hp, but they are very deadly if you can get them to the target, specially the firebats and vultures, if you play your cards right in the first 5 minutes, those are deadly combo for early offence. If you manage to pull out 8 marines, 2 firebats and 2 medic in the first few minutes, you got a solid harrasment team to rush with.

Seriously, people just forget about vultures altogether sometimes sometimes, or forget that they are very good at eating up shields since they do ignore defence/upgrades damage just like firebats and ghost. I find it very filling to lure cocky players onto a mine field and turn the table on them.
Old 2007-06-11, 11:28   Link #292
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
u dont go vulture against zerg....

btw any of you still playing or wanna play some day?
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 22:18   Link #293
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
u dont go vulture against zerg....

btw any of you still playing or wanna play some day?
you never know the wonders of the spider mines :P they can reduce a noob zerg army to nothing in matter of seconds, while it will slow down the better zerg plyers they take some time to remove the mines

I still play, just not as hardcore as back a few years ago, normally a few short games a week.
Old 2007-06-11, 22:53   Link #294
arias

I just started Starcraft 1 and I'm okay for the most part, except for the final mission for Terrans. Man, the amount of micro-management to be done is insane....

How do you guys micro-manage? I mean, how do you get your troops to position in certain ways?
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 23:58   Link #295
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
I just started Starcraft 1 and I'm okay for the most part, except for the final mission for Terrans. Man, the amount of micro-management to be done is insane....

How do you guys micro-manage? I mean, how do you get your troops to position in certain ways?
Since you are playing against AI, just slow time to the max.

Oh, and use ctrl-(number) to form squads. That's the most vital of them all in selecting groups and individuals during battle.

Hold-Position and attack-move are important to master too. I suppose you are stuck in the mission because of all those annoying ghosts? Once you get rid of the base on the West side of the map, you can try going straight for the ion canon and ignore the Ghost base... Is there anything specific you are stuck against?
Old 2007-06-12, 02:17   Link #296
arias

Well, in general I don't micromanage in the game at all. I haven't played an RTS in many, many years.. the last serious one was probably Warcraft II. But I'm familiar with overall mechanics and strategizing I suppose.

I basically strike the left side first, but even with an army of 40 (composed mainly of Marines and Goliaths) they get wiped out. Probably because I don't micromanage.. so I go back and rebuild.. and build up, get wiped out, rebuild.. and my crystals just run out : p I might have to play it in abit more detail to make more efficient use of my forces.. it's just that I got through the entire Terran campaign (until now) without using micro so this one was challenging.
Old 2007-06-12, 07:50   Link #297
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
Well, in general I don't micromanage in the game at all. I haven't played an RTS in many, many years.. the last serious one was probably Warcraft II. But I'm familiar with overall mechanics and strategizing I suppose.

I basically strike the left side first, but even with an army of 40 (composed mainly of Marines and Goliaths) they get wiped out. Probably because I don't micromanage.. so I go back and rebuild.. and build up, get wiped out, rebuild.. and my crystals just run out : p I might have to play it in abit more detail to make more efficient use of my forces.. it's just that I got through the entire Terran campaign (until now) without using micro so this one was challenging.
For this battle, you wil NEED either tanks or a large airforce (battlecruisers)... The tanks would be easier on resources.

Frankly, charging against another terran ground force without suficent tanks of your own is... suicidal. You need to do the classic tank-push; have tanks in seige mode, and other tanks moving from the back lines to the front and repeat. Use your tanks to blow away everything while using your other ground units to distract the enemy's own siege-tank fire. The Zerg and the Protoss can charge against terran tanks, but Terrans can't really do that very well themselves.

How did you manage to get this far without using tanks as Terran anyway

(EDIT: I intend to replay that map sometime... I want to see what happens if I aim for using nukes of my own instead.)
Old 2007-06-12, 12:14   Link #298
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
For this battle, you wil NEED either tanks or a large airforce (battlecruisers)... The tanks would be easier on resources.

Frankly, charging against another terran ground force without suficent tanks of your own is... suicidal. You need to do the classic tank-push; have tanks in seige mode, and other tanks moving from the back lines to the front and repeat. Use your tanks to blow away everything while using your other ground units to distract the enemy's own siege-tank fire. The Zerg and the Protoss can charge against terran tanks, but Terrans can't really do that very well themselves.

How did you manage to get this far without using tanks as Terran anyway

(EDIT: I intend to replay that map sometime... I want to see what happens if I aim for using nukes of my own instead.)
Yah, honest to god I never really used tanks throughout the whole Terran campaign. I mean, I used about maximum 3 throughout the campaign - plus I NEVER used their siege mode ability. I really swarmed mostly with marines and Goliaths.

Well, I'll replay it seriously soon, but I expect the map to take quite long though.
Old 2007-06-12, 13:24   Link #299
arias

I just replayed the level and was dominating with the tanks : O Utter domination.. but I still lost the level when the bastards nuked my Raynor. I mean, wtf?! : |
Old 2007-06-12, 15:22   Link #300
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Tanks?! As soon as you can get BCs, DO SO! Make a bunch of BCs, expand, make more BCs, get like 25 of them, and attack move and everything goes boom!

It even works in the last protoss mission!

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows