Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-12-22, 18:32   Link #401
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'm talking about why Sony would fight third party memory cards (as a possibility). They expect to recoup their losses in part from the price that you pay for the memory card, and they are also going to want to fight piracy (and probably rooting, if the PS3 is any indication of their stance). The main issue is the money they are losing on third party gear, the piracy/rooting is a secondary issue but it is an issue none the less.
unless it becomes a issue of patent infringement, Sony trying to restrict 3rd party vendors would open themselves up to a Anti-trust lawsuit. It would be no different then Microsoft making its Windows OS non-compatible with 3rd party browsers.
Old 2011-12-22, 19:58   Link #402
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
The issue isn't the adapters being made, really, (inevitably some knock off brand will come around) its what steps Sony takes against them post production. There are two issues here: (1) Sony loses money on a system that they are already selling at a loss, (2) the moment you can actually control the card (mSDHC/SDHC) is the moment you can easily root, pirate, and, in general, turn the PSV into whatever you might like.

I'll be very surprised if they don't fight this very aggressively either through updates that check hardware (usually meaning, that like the PS3, the only way around it will be mod chips or them mucking up again and giving away their key to the recovery/bios) or they are going to have very specific hardware locks on what the system will actually attempt to even read from. Nintendo and Sony learned from the NDS (see: flash karts), they're not going to let the system run games only on a code check in the software. There will very likely be hardware checks.

Now can hackers get around this issue is the question if you're going to want to use 3rd party stuff.
Just to correct you on something: the Vita is being sold either breaking even or at a small profit. Sony execs have gone on record stating that they learned a valuable lesson with the PS3 and will refrain from pricing consoles below cost for the foreseeable future. Besides and even with all the pizazz the Vita has on the hardware side it's actually reported to be based mostly on off-the-shelf parts so that even the R&D costs aren't too extensive.

That aside Sony doesn't really have much of a history of going after third party memory cards like Microsoft and Nintendo have and even the first now allows any old USB mass storage device to be used with their consoles. The "trick" is to use some sort of encryption, custom file format or both to fend of malicious usage and from the looks of it that's exactly what Sony is planning on doing with the Vita.

Anyways I would be happy with an adapter for Memory Stick M2s even since I've gotten some pretty cheap Sony original ones for my PSPs and I'm holding out for those. If Sony really wants to try and prevent competition on the memory card stage than I'll just have to seriously consider ignoring this generation all together (which is kind of sad but I've got a big enough back catalog of PSP titles to keep me company for a while).
Old 2011-12-22, 20:28   Link #403
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
unless it becomes a issue of patent infringement, Sony trying to restrict 3rd party vendors would open themselves up to a Anti-trust lawsuit. It would be no different then Microsoft making its Windows OS non-compatible with 3rd party browsers.
I'm erring on the side of them claiming it a necessity for protection against piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Just to correct you on something: the Vita is being sold either breaking even or at a small profit. Sony execs have gone on record stating that they learned a valuable lesson with the PS3 and will refrain from pricing consoles below cost for the foreseeable future. Besides and even with all the pizazz the Vita has on the hardware side it's actually reported to be based mostly on off-the-shelf parts so that even the R&D costs aren't too extensive.
Good to know that my older information has become irrelevant. Thanks.
Old 2011-12-22, 20:32   Link #404
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I'm erring on the side of them claiming it a necessity for protection against piracy.
if Microsoft couldn't get away with that stunt you think Sony could?
Old 2011-12-22, 20:54   Link #405
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
if Microsoft couldn't get away with that stunt you think Sony could?
True, but Sony has been playing messy recently with the whole geohot/linux/rooting shenanigans with the PS3. According to Sony, putting Linux back on to the console that was bought with the promise of supporting Linux is a justifiable offense for getting sued and/or banned from their network.

I'm being skeptical because of their recent track record with people doing what they want with machinery that they own. (Though it is a sort of different beast so my worry may be unnecessary.)

I hope to be proven wrong because I want a PSV but I'm not about to give Sony 120$ for something that costs me 50$.
Old 2011-12-23, 12:59   Link #406
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
True, but Sony has been playing messy recently with the whole geohot/linux/rooting shenanigans with the PS3. According to Sony, putting Linux back on to the console that was bought with the promise of supporting Linux is a justifiable offense for getting sued and/or banned from their network.

I'm being skeptical because of their recent track record with people doing what they want with machinery that they own. (Though it is a sort of different beast so my worry may be unnecessary.)

I hope to be proven wrong because I want a PSV but I'm not about to give Sony 120$ for something that costs me 50$.
The way i look it is that the PS3 is a gaming machine not a computer and that is what it is sold as. Disabling Linux support does not affect the PS3 as a gaming machine. If Sony had sold the PS3 as a computer with Linux support then disable the Linux stuff then they would be in hot water.
Old 2011-12-23, 13:44   Link #407
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
The way i look it is that the PS3 is a gaming machine not a computer and that is what it is sold as. Disabling Linux support does not affect the PS3 as a gaming machine. If Sony had sold the PS3 as a computer with Linux support then disable the Linux stuff then they would be in hot water.
They marketed the PS3 (originally) on their "it can do anything" claim, which included computer-like functionality through Linux (and I'm pretty sure some of their marketing revolved around the linux functionality). They then removed that and a lot of people were unhappy to have a functionality that they (in part) paid for and expected on the machine that they bought, removed. Then, when people found a way to get said functionality back, Sony fought them for something that they were promised when buying the console. (The whole geohot debacle is this. Strictly speaking he and the others who broke into the system did not do anything illegal like pirate or steal goods, they took a system that they owned and returned to it the functionality it was originally meant to have. This goes into the whole suit against Apple for attempting to brick people's iPhones/Touches because they were jailbroken and/or running third party stuff, Apple lost that lawsuit and it set precedence that a piece of hardware, once bought, is owned by the purchaser and they can do whatever they want with it.)

Maybe they didn't market it as a computer, so the linux was not a pivotal component, but their actions regarding it are not commendable in the least, and is part of the reason that I am being highly skeptical with anything Sony does for the time.

Anyway, we're waaaayyy off topic.
Old 2011-12-23, 13:48   Link #408
Sides

Quote:
^^
The fun bit was sony wanted to classify it as a computer system to dodge taxes, but was refused it by the EU(?). If the EU, or what who ever it was, did allow sony to tax the PS3 as a computer, removing the linux feature would have caused them a massive problem. Viewing back sony should be thankful that the EU refused the PS3 being sold as a computer system.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 22:34   Link #409
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

few info From CES.
AT&T 3G priced is standard ($14.99 for 200 MB, $25 for 2GB). if you subscribe, you get one free game
Netflix will be day one US only
Nyko stuff (battery pack, speaker, etc) here
http://kotaku.com/5874730/nyko-parad...-ces/gallery/1

oh if you US citizen you can try vita here

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...nyc-next-week/

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 05:04   Link #410
SoulofSomfing

anyone know if the 'Yagami Vita' version of the PSVita still available? or where to u even get an online purchase of it? I bet its limited edition as well... Dammit that sexy red colour DAMMMIIIITTTT.

its available rite?
Old 2012-01-26, 13:59   Link #411
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulofSomfing View Post
anyone know if the 'Yagami Vita' version of the PSVita still available? or where to u even get an online purchase of it? I bet its limited edition as well... Dammit that sexy red colour DAMMMIIIITTTT.

its available rite?
That Vita Vita was fanmade(I believe) at the time however I have no idea if someone would actually make one now is another question but I honestly doubt it.

Altho saying that I am very much still holding onto that faint hope of seeing a VV and will do for some time at least till I bother getting one

Still not sure if I want to pre-oreder now or wait for say a year before jumping at one.
Old 2012-01-26, 14:10   Link #412
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

You can custom make that one, though. I know I'm going to do that when I get a Vita. Still, I have to wait 1 year until thing get stable, and there is game I like.

Vita PSV is a given. Sony should take this opportunity because it will sell million.
Old 2012-01-26, 21:46   Link #413
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, if they released a Vita version (wow this could get confusing) then I'd immediately pick one up. I'll get one eventually for sure, but will wait for a few games I want to get to come out first.
Old 2012-01-27, 07:49   Link #414
SoulofSomfing

u can custom make it? i neva knew u can do that. So theres an option or somfing when u buy it online or somfing? wonder if u can do that for the psp slim
Old 2012-01-27, 14:33   Link #415
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulofSomfing View Post
u can custom make it? i neva knew u can do that. So theres an option or somfing when u buy it online or somfing? wonder if u can do that for the psp slim
I think they're talking about services like Colorware who will paint your device for you.
Old 2012-01-27, 23:14   Link #416
SoulofSomfing

well...to bad colorware doesnt do psp or vita though...
Old 2012-02-18, 10:25   Link #417
videoman190

Is anybody going to the midnight releases?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...-launch-events

For me I already got mines for release date preorder.

Also here's FAQ for the PlayStation Vita
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...-ultimate-faq/
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 16:47   Link #418
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
Is anybody going to the midnight releases?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...-launch-events

For me I already got mines for release date preorder.

Also here's FAQ for the PlayStation Vita
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...-ultimate-faq/
Having already picked up my system this past Wednesday (I pre-ordered the Early Bird bundle), there's no need for me to attend one of the midnight releases.
Old 2012-02-22, 05:58   Link #419
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

My Vita has arrived.

Quick Impression:

- The screen is incredible. I mean wow totally exceeded my expectation.

- The device itself feels really solid and premium.

- The real meat is the OS though, it's fast I mean really fast. I saw no glitch or whatsover on the multitasking.

Overall solid device with solid OS. Now is time for me to play the games
Ardi220288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 21:54   Link #420
Dark Wing

Well I don't know if anyone posted this yet but there is a way to get psp games on your vita without going it the vita store...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/02/13...#disqus_thread

Tags
playstation, vita, vita tv