AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-16, 18:34   Link #1
leokiko

Tokyo Ghoul [Anticipation]

Synopsis: The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious "ghouls" who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight.

The manga is pretty great, here's hoping for a good adaptation.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:25   Link #2
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
This looks potentially very interesting. I'm speculating the studio to be Madhouse as the content seems to be a perfect fit for them.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-01-16 at 20:26. Reason: wrongfully mistakend it to another show
Old 2014-01-16, 21:54   Link #3
SkoolRumble4Ya

Good, now I don't have to read the manga.
Old 2014-01-17, 00:37   Link #4
Iron Maw
Banned

Well this a nice surprise! I really hope that Madhouse brings their A game here because the manga is great material. Well written story, and characters mixed with a good deal of moral ambiguity. Could be a solid hit if handled right.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-01-17 at 14:44.
Old 2014-01-17, 00:48   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
....horror.... I think I'll past. >_<
Old 2014-01-17, 02:46   Link #6
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
Good, now I don't have to read the manga.
My first thought was pretty much the same. It's really tiring to read a manga when the translation is 80 chapters behind the actual thing. (I didn't spot me from reading the raws though)
Old 2014-01-19, 23:00   Link #7
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
....horror.... I think I'll past. >_<
I think it's primarily a psychological thriller than horror, but kinda hard to differentiate the two with movies. There's no fear reading the manga if that's what you find repulsive. If anything, I think this is more of a battle manga than horror.

The story's excellent, I don't want to see you passing this up cause of a sub-genre labeling that you might have difficulty with.

Also the PV linked in the OP's post is from Kamikaze Douga, which I think is very well done. Kaneki's VA there is Saiga Mitsuki; those that follow Inazuma Eleven should recognize her. The scene portrayed contains material past chapter 60 I think, but I honestly don't consider it spoiler for obvious reason (that it's the official PV); you could never guess what's actually going on anyway. I have no idea how far the anime will go, but it's too much of a shame to pass it up, so I'm relinking it here as well for convenience.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This will need some godly BGM, VA, and animation to push it though. Either way, I'm a huge fan of the manga, so here's being hopeful for the anime.
Old 2014-01-19, 23:35   Link #8
leokiko

The scanlation is going at a good pace now though, and it's likely to increase with the announcement of the anime.
Old 2014-01-20, 07:03   Link #9
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
I think it's primarily a psychological thriller than horror, but kinda hard to differentiate the two with movies. There's no fear reading the manga if that's what you find repulsive. If anything, I think this is more of a battle manga than horror.

The story's excellent, I don't want to see you passing this up cause of a sub-genre labeling that you might have difficulty with.

Also the PV linked in the OP's post is from Kamikaze Douga, which I think is very well done. Kaneki's VA there is Saiga Mitsuki; those that follow Inazuma Eleven should recognize her. The scene portrayed contains material past chapter 60 I think, but I honestly don't consider it spoiler for obvious reason (that it's the official PV); you could never guess what's actually going on anyway. I have no idea how far the anime will go, but it's too much of a shame to pass it up, so I'm relinking it here as well for convenience.

YouTube

This will need some godly BGM, VA, and animation to push it though. Either way, I'm a huge fan of the manga, so here's being hopeful for the anime.
Oh. I see torture scene there. This is a good sign I should say.
Old 2014-01-22, 02:07   Link #10
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Oh. I see torture scene there. This is a good sign I should say.
Yeah looks like they're going to try and cover a lot, if the PV is any indication. Of course no one will know what that means unless they've actually read the manga.

I'd really like to see this get a lengthy, high quality adaptation. The manga is absolutely fantastic. It's very well written, with beautiful detailed art and interesting characters who actually develop over time. It does have a lot of fighting, but it's not really a DBZ shounen type of story. It's more like Attack on Titan, with two sides fighting because they cannot coexist - and the main character is trapped in between trying to find a way to survive and make sense of how screwed up the world is. While it's not really the same (AoT is meant to feel more epic and oppressive), I think it will resonate well with people who liked that show.
Old 2014-01-22, 20:52   Link #11
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Yeah looks like they're going to try and cover a lot, if the PV is any indication. Of course no one will know what that means unless they've actually read the manga.

I'd really like to see this get a lengthy, high quality adaptation. The manga is absolutely fantastic. It's very well written, with beautiful detailed art and interesting characters who actually develop over time. It does have a lot of fighting, but it's not really a DBZ shounen type of story. It's more like Attack on Titan, with two sides fighting because they cannot coexist - and the main character is trapped in between trying to find a way to survive and make sense of how screwed up the world is. While it's not really the same (AoT is meant to feel more epic and oppressive), I think it will resonate well with people who liked that show.
But that's the PV for the manga, not the anime.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...oul-gets-anime
Old 2014-01-23, 00:06   Link #12
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Ah, I see. It wasn't very clear, and I've seen a lot of early PV's that are just manga art with some minor animation. Still, most of what I said is still valid.
Old 2014-02-12, 09:59   Link #13
DorkingtonPugsly

I'm really hoping for quality here. One of my favorite current running mangas. As a raw reader I hope they get far but don't skip and rush unnecessarily.
If they can get to the breaking point (i.e. vol 7~8) that would be a good way to end.
Old 2014-02-12, 10:03   Link #14
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Anime adaptions of horror manga tend to be on the "meh" side, sadly.
Old 2014-02-12, 10:18   Link #15
DorkingtonPugsly

Hmm yeah, though there's quite a lot of action and the manga sorta shifts into a more action and mystery oriented horror thing later on but I don't know. At least I hope the va's are good...
Old 2014-02-22, 06:41   Link #16
Librantu

Send a message via ICQ to Librantu
Anime will be directed by Studio Pierrot.
Director: Shuhei Morita
Series Composition: Mikasano Chuji
Character Design: Kazuhiro Miwa
Images
Old 2014-02-22, 06:54   Link #17
RollingPenguin

The fact that Morita is directing this probably means that Tokyo Ghoul will heavily use CG animation.Still his involvement probably means that it will at least have a nice CG animation.Also his work is nominated for an Oscar.
The writer is interesting too,Google search reveals that he is young playwright and theater director.I am very interested in this project now.
Old 2014-02-22, 07:30   Link #18
Jetzero Infinity

Not terribly surprised at Pierrot doing it though the staff list is certainly interesting. Curious to see how this turns out
Old 2014-02-22, 09:01   Link #19
leokiko

Well, there goes my hopes for MADHOUSE.

At least it has a chance of having a high number of episodes.
Old 2014-02-22, 09:14   Link #20
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

But Pierrot could make decent animation. Just that they prefer cheap but long-running serries.
Closed Thread

Tags
horror