AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 18 41.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 37.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 13.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 4.65%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-09, 05:14   Link #21
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Re: Touko's secret: I was going to say "she's a lesbian, and her parents don't approve", but then, why would they send her to a Catholic School for girls?
Well, they don't exactly write on the prospectus: "warning to parents, our school may contain girls with lesbian tendencies".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Re: Yumi's powers: Well, she can already teleport. Why not telepathy, too?
Cookie for this.

This was a real tease of an episode. They've set things up carefully for drama down the road, but being as impatient as I am, I really want to find out just what Touko's secret is, and I'm hoping they don't tease us with that question for too long. The little things again proved to be among the most enjoyable (and, oddly enough, meaningful) moments. Yumi's mom reading her like a book, Rei cutting up her cake, Sachiko's hug (hasn't she changed). Another great episode in what is easily the show of the season so far.
Old 2009-02-09, 06:41   Link #22
Seiryuu

Concerning the lesbian thing, I agree. As I said earlier, a girl coming out of the closet in this series would be absurdly mundane, somewhat akin to a frog confessing that it likes to swim. And the question of romance, I think I'm mostly saying much the same thing as 4Tran, just in a different way. While there's plenty of clear evidence of semi-crushes, minor courtship "experimentation", and other such near-romance relationships and interactions, it's still on the most innocent, harmless level. In fact, I think only one girl has been shown to apparently be a legitimate lesbian, quite some time ago. Still, in this sort of atmosphere I can't imagine the idea being all that earth-shaking, which is why I said such a confession would be mundane. I think, ultimately, the relationships here come to about the same point as Fate/Nanoha in their first series.
Also, I'm glad to hear the truth about Kashiwagi from various people. Actually, I'd thought for a while that he was trying to set up to make Yumi become his mistress or something.
Old 2009-02-09, 08:02   Link #23
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

After reading the comments on this board, I decided to rewatch the ep again. It somehow gets better.

A cookie for 4Tran for wording out "nonverbal communication". Hehe. That's another thing I liked so much about Marimite. The gestures in this episode were more emphasized though compared to the previous 5, IMO.
Old 2009-02-09, 09:06   Link #24
shojie
An Anime Addict

i'm really impatient for the next episode..i really want to know what Touko's big secret..

i like Yumi's mother, she's cool and really read her daughter like an open book..but, wait, Yumi's mother got sick, that according to Yumi's narration was because of shock..shock from what?

well, anyway..another great episode for this season..
Old 2009-02-09, 09:19   Link #25
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The little things again proved to be among the most enjoyable (and, oddly enough, meaningful) moments. Yumi's mom reading her like a book, Rei cutting up her cake, Sachiko's hug (hasn't she changed).
I think that for Marimite (and most other good anime for that matter), it's always been the little things that have been more important. Building up things bit by bit is what gives meaning to the characters, and allow the more dramatic events to have more impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Also, I'm glad to hear the truth about Kashiwagi from various people. Actually, I'd thought for a while that he was trying to set up to make Yumi become his mistress or something.
Kashiwagi is far too fabulous for his character to devolve to something so mundane as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droplet View Post
A cookie for 4Tran for wording out "nonverbal communication". Hehe. That's another thing I liked so much about Marimite. The gestures in this episode were more emphasized though compared to the previous 5, IMO.
One of the advantages of Marimite over many other shows is that it's derived from novels rather than manga. Manga often use lots of wordy explanations as its narrative, while the better novels tend to do a lot of this by implication through action descriptions. The former doesn't translate all that well into anime, while the latter, if done properly, can turn out very well indeed.
Old 2009-02-09, 10:32   Link #26
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode was one of my favorite to date. One realm that Miteru excels in is emotional growth of characters. This episode captures quite well how it can be very hard to convey ones feelings to those closest to them. Rei conveying her feelings to Sachiko about letting go of Yoshino before she does was a culmination of deep seated feelings she has been having for a while. The deep bond that many characters share in this series is just beautiful. She really needed to vent these feelings and Sachiko knew this. Her decision to not to attend Lillians University is a sign that she is willing to let go of Yoshino and let her walk her own path. I thought the whole scene was lovely done.

Touko who once again proves why she is one of my favorite characters shines through again. Touko is so guarded and emotionally complex one cant help but to take an interest in her. However, despite all her stubbornness and despite being so guarded she is a very warm and sensitive person and it just takes the right kind of person to open her up. Sachiko can do it and so can Kashiwagi but i believe Yumi will be able to open her up in new ways. I watched the episode twice because i wanted to listen to the wording very carefully concerning how Touko ended up at Yumi's.

Touko got into a fight with her parents for (unknown reason) and starting walking. Before she knew it she noticed that she was near Yumi's house from the numbers on the lamp pole. Yumi hears someone calling her name but is not sure whom it might be and a short time later Touko arrives (this scene was a prelude to what Yumi's imagery of Touko they share a deeper connection than either of them realize. When Yumi asked her if she walked there to see her she said no. My theory is that consciously Touko did not set out to go see Yumi but subconsciously she did. If there is one person in this series one can depend on to be there for you its Yumi and as much as Touko protest her meddling sometimes underneath Touko values and respects Yumi. So feeling upset and troubled she subconsciously headed towards a person that is not involved with her family (hence not knowing the secret) and someone who could comfort her namely Yumi. Many of the words used during the conversation were open ended which means there is a deeper meaning to them. Look for whats not being said rather than what is. This leads us to Touko very formal bow after the inventation to the party once again nothing was said but you knew what Touko was trying to say and Yumi understood it very well. Yumi's however is feeling reluctant because she does not want to presume she knows Touko but in all honesty she knows Touko quite well. Its very obvious that Yumi is thinking about Touko a lot in regards to souer but this are so complicated right now both the girls feelings are not reaching one another. These were the highlights for me in this episode although the Noriko outburst and Shimako showing her elegance and maturity were truly wonderful as well. I sometimes think we all forget how sensitive Yumi really is as she does not voice it very often but it can be shown in her many facial expressions.

Maria-sama character interactions and character growth are some of the best iv seen. Learning how to commincate feelings and making hard decsions is what life is about. The essence of these characters make you care and want to support them any series that can do that to me is a excellent in my book. Even secondary characters are a joy to watch. Yumi's mom is awesome and the scene with Yumi reacting one way to her mother mentioning marrying Kashiwagi and reacting the other way to her mother mentioning Touko as a little sister was just too funny.

Next episode we finally get to see Yoshino and Nana interact with others as she introduced. However, seems some bad happens to Yumi so the preview says and the shot of her crying on Sachiko's chest confirms it. Could it have something to do with Touko? or something else? ah waiting for these episodes are just torture.

I really dont have anything to say about the whole lesbian convo going on so i will leave that out.
Old 2009-02-09, 10:49   Link #27
Neku
yare yare..

Where's Pizzy this time? XD

Anyways, I love this episode.
It implies a lot of things - most of them already mentioned by you guys here, especially the one on non-verbal communication.

It goes to show that although Marimite has thinned down in the essence of yuri after Sei, it still is. But what's more important is they really care for each other, to a point that there's not much need for blunt words i.e how Sachiko knew Rei and how Yumi can be so connected to Sachiko and Touko... the understanding. I adore. Because disregarding genders, all are humans.

I like the development between Yumi and Touko too.
The dongdong and the tough nut.
Dongdong will prevail! xD
Old 2009-02-09, 22:58   Link #28
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Oh man, the part where she had her arms out reaching to Toukou raped me.

This show is so <3~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-02-10, 14:26   Link #29
Molenir

My guess about Touko's problem is that...

Spoiler for Touko's Problem:
Old 2009-02-10, 17:31   Link #30
jinstevens

I still think the Yumi x Touko pairing is unconvincing. Only because it's happening so fast and the anime series seem to leave out why Yumi is taking such an interest in Touko. I wish I could read Japanese better so I could better understand why Yumi would be so interested in a girl who, at one point, was fawning and hanging around her onesama like cheap suit.

Anyhow, this comment is getting to be more like my blog entry about this. More of my opinions on episode 6 here.
Old 2009-02-10, 18:29   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, that happened between Haru and the OVAs. They were already on friendlier terms in the vacation of the lambs.

Mostly, though, she stopped feeling insecure in her relationship with Sachiko. Touko wasn't trying to come between them. And as her own person, Touko isn't so bad. She's a bit like Toradora's Ami. Looks evil at first, actually is arrogant, snobby, entitled... but uses her powers for good.
Old 2009-02-10, 19:52   Link #32
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstevens View Post
I still think the Yumi x Touko pairing is unconvincing. Only because it's happening so fast and the anime series seem to leave out why Yumi is taking such an interest in Touko. I wish I could read Japanese better so I could better understand why Yumi would be so interested in a girl who, at one point, was fawning and hanging around her onesama like cheap suit.

Anyhow, this comment is getting to be more like my blog entry about this. More of my opinions on episode 6 here.
Actually its not as rushed as you think. Yumi and Touko had a connection from the start you just had to spot it and read between the lines. Touko idolized Sachiko who picked Yumi Sachiko and Touko share similar personality traits its not a surprise that they have a connection from the start. Its not about whats being said its about whats not being said. Yumi tends to get Touko to drop her guard consistently something that no one other than Kashiwagi and Sachiko can do. Yumi can open Touko's heart while Touko can bring Yumi to a maturity level that one can obtain by having a little sister. Touko has many endering qualities it will just take someone who recognizes them to bring those traits out and there are already 2 that do. Yumi and Noriko both see the inner Touko although Yumi thinks shes being persumptious.

AS for Touko hanging all over Sachiko like a cheap suit i actually wouldnt put it that way. Touko has known Sachiko for her entire life and acted no differently around her than she has always done its was Yumi misunderstanding the situation (another reason for her to mature) that caused a lot of the heartache.
Old 2009-02-11, 03:39   Link #33
jinstevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Actually its not as rushed as you think. Yumi and Touko had a connection from the start you just had to spot it and read between the lines. Touko idolized Sachiko who picked Yumi Sachiko and Touko share similar personality traits its not a surprise that they have a connection from the start. Its not about whats being said its about whats not being said. Yumi tends to get Touko to drop her guard consistently something that no one other than Kashiwagi and Sachiko can do. Yumi can open Touko's heart while Touko can bring Yumi to a maturity level that one can obtain by having a little sister. Touko has many endering qualities it will just take someone who recognizes them to bring those traits out and there are already 2 that do. Yumi and Noriko both see the inner Touko although Yumi thinks shes being persumptious.

AS for Touko hanging all over Sachiko like a cheap suit i actually wouldnt put it that way. Touko has known Sachiko for her entire life and acted no differently around her than she has always done its was Yumi misunderstanding the situation (another reason for her to mature) that caused a lot of the heartache.
Then you're seeing stuff "in between the lines" that I'm not. I just don't see it the way you do.

I'm not a Touko fan and this shift to try to get her to look more sympathetic doesn't ring true with me. It does seem rushed. I'm hoping that future episodes will resolve this for me. To me there was nothing gradual about Yumi's feelings. One episode she was indifferent (as late as episode 4, Yumi told Sachiko she had no one in mind) and by episode 6 Yumi is having Touko fantasies. Sorry, but that's preposterous. I'm sure the light novel builds this up a lot more, but I'm judging from the anime only, and that's how it looks to me.

As for Touko hanging on Sachiko like a cheap suit, I'll stand by my opinion on that. Touko knew that Sachiko had a soeur yet she didn't act in a way that was considerate of Yumi's feelings. Sure, Yumi's misunderstanding of their relationship worsened the situation, but to say Touko wasn't to blame isn't correct either.
Old 2009-02-11, 05:25   Link #34
mintyfresh
Altoid

Well, I'm certain there's no denying that the way you've viewed Touko as a character would be different from someone like me, a person who's been a fan of her all along, but I'll do my best to help you try to see her from a different light.

First of all, I'm not quite sure if what you're considering rushed is the pace of Yumi and Touko's relationship or the fact that the story has been somewhat shoving you personally into the affairs of a character you don't all that care for or pay much attention to, and you're begrudgingly having to put up with it. To be honest, I'd say Touko had been warming up to Yumi since the end of the second season (if not sooner) during the Parasol wo Sashite episode. That was roughly early summer -- it's getting close to Christmas now. And of course, thinking about it in real time, that was nearly 5 years ago for some of us who watched Haru during its airing. It can't possibly feel rushed from that perspective.

However I'd agree with you that at this point Yumi's still indifferent toward whom she chooses as a soeur. Just looking at this episode for example, though she eventually thought it a good idea, Yumi was not the one who first thought to invite Touko to the Christmas party. It was probably not even something she was planning to do. But although she may be indifferent, that doesn't mean she isn't still a nice person. If this were the tribulations of almost any other character in the cast, she would probably stick her nose in, and yes, even dissect them a little (I wouldn't really call what Yumi is doing "fantasizing"....) in an attempt to help them out. The issue simply is that Touko is the character in question, who is a first year. And as such makes her a potential soeur candidate for Yumi. Of course, Yumi probably wouldn't even had begun thinking of such a thing had Sachiko not made that proposition at the end of the school festival.
But Touko as well hasn't really taken leaps and bounds in terms of changing how she treats Yumi (at least externally). She was mean to her in the second season, and she's mean to her now. But even she has the decency to thank a person for their help, which I suppose can be considered the warmest thing she did to Yumi this episode. Factor in the basis that underneath her vitriol Touko probably likes Yumi very much, and her actions make much more sense. And I think it is a bit obvious that Touko likes Yumi, at least a little bit, from what we've seen of their interactions so far in this season and the last.

And as for their infamous first encounter, I completely agree with what Anh_Minh already said. Something like that probably doesn't bother Yumi that much anymore, since she's had time to not only shed quite a bit of insecurities, but also find out what kind of person Touko was herself.
And of course Touko's also to blame. Frankly, I think it may have been her idea to begin with. I've always liked to think that Touko had in fact heard of this "Yumi" before entering highschool -- a lot of Sachiko's family members do know about Yumi after all. Perhaps she in fact thought Yumi as a rival before Yumi even knew of her existence. Imagine the irony in Touko ultimately ending up liking her instead.

Ahh, but now I'm just letting my imagination get ridiculously out of hand. ...Forget that last part......
Old 2009-02-11, 09:31   Link #35
Molenir

I actually agree with that last part. Touko idolized Sachiko, and so hearing about Yumi, she must have thought of her as a rival for her favorite cousin's attention. Perhaps thats part of the reason for how she acted initially.
Old 2009-02-11, 14:30   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstevens View Post
Then you're seeing stuff "in between the lines" that I'm not. I just don't see it the way you do.

I'm not a Touko fan and this shift to try to get her to look more sympathetic doesn't ring true with me. It does seem rushed. I'm hoping that future episodes will resolve this for me. To me there was nothing gradual about Yumi's feelings. One episode she was indifferent (as late as episode 4, Yumi told Sachiko she had no one in mind) and by episode 6 Yumi is having Touko fantasies. Sorry, but that's preposterous. I'm sure the light novel builds this up a lot more, but I'm judging from the anime only, and that's how it looks to me.
While Yumi's been avoiding the idea of actually getting a petite soeur for a while, she's never been indifferent to Touko. In Haru, she was feeling threatened. In the OAV, as early as the first Kanako ep, she was touchy feely with Touko. Yes, the change was sort of abrupt. But it occurred a season ago.

Quote:
As for Touko hanging on Sachiko like a cheap suit, I'll stand by my opinion on that. Touko knew that Sachiko had a soeur yet she didn't act in a way that was considerate of Yumi's feelings. Sure, Yumi's misunderstanding of their relationship worsened the situation, but to say Touko wasn't to blame isn't correct either.
Why would Touko "be considerate of Yumi's feelings"? Just because Sachiko's got a petite soeur doesn't mean she's forbidden from seeing anyone else. Yoshino and Yumi are at the jealous/possessive end of the scale, but that's not the only way to be a soeur. Because they're alike, they understand each other and give us the impression it's normal, but just look at Shimako. She thought it was nonsense for Yumi and Yoshino to be concerned about her feelings just because they wanted to talk with her grande soeur, and that they didn't need her permission, let alone her presence. Or look at the Minako - Mami relationship. Can you imagine Mami getting all clingy and jealous?

So, yeah, Touko somehow failed to detect Yumi's jealousy. You want to blame her for that? Fine, but don't forget to blame Sachiko who, even though she's Yumi's soeur, didn't do any better.
Old 2009-02-11, 14:50   Link #37
dream-seeker
soar high

Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
I actually agree with that last part. Touko idolized Sachiko, and so hearing about Yumi, she must have thought of her as a rival for her favorite cousin's attention. Perhaps thats part of the reason for how she acted initially.
I thought Touko was already liking Yumi from the first time they were introduced at the Rose mansion. Rainy blue was Yumi's misunderstanding and insecurities. Touko does care for Yumi. She tried to correct Yumi's thoughts by confronting her at the milk hall, though she wanted to tell Yumi that Sachiko needed her. Yumi ran away from Sachiko because she was afraid of Touko. Wasn't it Yumi that thought Touko was a rival for Sachiko's attention? Or maybe it was a misunderstanding from both parties.

As for liking. I think Touko wants Yumi's attention from the very beginning too. Though because of the way she was brought up, it was difficult for her to open up. But she liked Yumi, there were many instances she showed she liked Yumi. There was one where Yumi asked for help at Yamayurikai because of Sachiko's absences. Touko could have denied her then, but it wasn't for Sachiko's sake she helped Yumi at all (probably she thought she caused Yumi pain, must be guilt too). 2nd she warned Yumi not to attend the Saionji Party in the OVA (this was probably explained better in the novel), 3rd she tried to tell Yumi about Kanako's past, 4th she Danced with Yumi on the festival (she's very shy)... etc. it's been shown very subtle but Touko has a hard time sending the message across. Touko doesn't like to be seen as weak and kind. But beneath it all she is very much 'sensitive and delicate'. Yumi noticed it just now.
Old 2009-02-11, 16:52   Link #38
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstevens
I'm not a Touko fan and this shift to try to get her to look more sympathetic doesn't ring true with me. It does seem rushed. I'm hoping that future episodes will resolve this for me. To me there was nothing gradual about Yumi's feelings. One episode she was indifferent (as late as episode 4, Yumi told Sachiko she had no one in mind) and by episode 6 Yumi is having Touko fantasies.
I think that the progression has been handled pretty well so far. From Touko's point of view, she's been drawn into Yumi's pace since the end of Haru. By now, she's probably more likely to look to Yumi than anyone else for help.

For Yumi, I don't think that it's been exactly sudden either. Ever since the misunderstanding got straightened out, she's been closer to Touko. Your characterization of her as being "indifferent" to Touko doesn't seem to be correct; they can be considered friend - Yumi just isn't ready to think of her as her soeur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstevens
As with most misunderstandings, the fault doesn't lie with just one party. Both Touko and Yumi bear their share of the responsibility, but they were still relative strangers to one another, so the biggest burden should go to Sachiko. As a matter of etiquette, the person who posesses a secret should also be the one to reveal it. This is a recurring theme that came up in this very episode. Yumi understood how that works, and she didn't hold any grudges over it (although she's not likely to hold grudges in any case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
But Touko as well hasn't really taken leaps and bounds in terms of changing how she treats Yumi (at least externally). She was mean to her in the second season, and she's mean to her now.
I think that Touko has been treating Yumi very differently. She isn't being mean at all; instead, she likes Yumi very much and any exhibited meaness (which I'm having a bit of trouble detecting) is more a defensive measure than a heartfelt emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
I've always liked to think that Touko had in fact heard of this "Yumi" before entering highschool -- a lot of Sachiko's family members do know about Yumi after all.
This is all but certain. Touko has always wanted to be in the Yamayurikai, so it'd be expected that she knew of its membership. Even if she didn't hear about Yumi from Sachiko (which is unthinkable), she would have heard of her from Suguru.