AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 71 42.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 20.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 12.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 11.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 3.61%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.60%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-19, 14:36   Link #141
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Hmm, I really enjoyed the episode when I watched it last night, some of didn't make complete sense at first to me though read few people's thoughts in this thread helped with that a bit, and Yuri was awesome this episode, her speech in the class room was rather epic, and the conversion with the weird NPC was interesting too. I can't wait for the finale next week; should be interesting to see how it ends, and really hope we get some more background on Yuri, and Kanade.
MAL
Old 2010-06-19, 14:39   Link #142
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Rushed times ten.

Hey guys, we are runing out of time. Let's just make everyone suddenly move to their next life and explain everything with cheap FAQ posed by the heroine.

Yeah, why not; they will like it no matter what we do so to heck with it.
Old 2010-06-19, 15:02   Link #143
Ezilled

I hope I'm no late to the party due to loss of internets. Oh well anyways..

Expected: Answers
Got:
Love;
I must kill the gods!
No Yuri, you are the god
And then Yuri was Haruhi

If I had one word for this episode. I would say 'disappointed'. Sure they gave some explanations prior to this arc, but the execution was utterly underwhelming and revolved only on the culprit and the 'he-who-should-not-be-named' person who created the Angel Player -- not the exact mystery behind the world. I also wondered how did Yuri have a contact with her siblings. Was it in her mind, or did Maeda pull out a 'Congratulations' shenanigans upon me? In that way, she should have had no regrets on that part and moved on, but she stayed together with them like Naoi. Also, thou shall not give any feedback on Yuri having a deep thought on the toilet scene.

On the other hand, if I could suggest one thing to fix Angel Beats for being a not-so-wasted-potential, I'd say it should have a coherent progression or continuous storyline per episode with sufficient character development. It might be really hard to cram the cast into 13 episodes, but they should have done it in two seasons to get the pacing right. Nevertheless, it was a fun ride, and I enjoyed it deeply that got me hooked throughout the entire series. Props to Maeda for his writing capabilities and music composing.

At last, since we're at the finale, I guess it's Kanade's turn now to close down the curtains with the help of Otonashi. Gotta love their development and their relationship that I wanted to have a good ending for them like eternal vow in a wedding-esque scenario. I sincerely hope the next one must cry me bitch tears like an innocent, young lad.

Knockin' on Heaven's door.. bang!
Old 2010-06-19, 15:44   Link #144
HeadlessPony
~Princess~

I'm just glad that Ayato is still in it. He's my favorite.

Do you know how much frustration and speculation it would save all of us if this show were 26 episodes? Seriously. What the hell were they thinking? Do they make the series up as they go or is it all planned out? I liked the episode overall, but now that I am looking back and reading all of the comments, I see that it's very disappointing that such a good idea and concept can be turned into shit because of the lack of time it was given.
Old 2010-06-19, 16:04   Link #145
kitten320

I wonder why they decided to make it short, on what does the lengh of the show depends?
Old 2010-06-19, 16:30   Link #146
roriconfan
Banned

So the tribute line goes like this. First the series was Haibane Renmei. Then it became Haruhi, then Persona 3, then Matrix Reload. Let's see what the last episode's tribute will be.
Old 2010-06-19, 16:31   Link #147
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I wonder why they decided to make it short, on what does the lengh of the show depends?
Budget, usually.
Old 2010-06-19, 16:45   Link #148
maplehurry

Quote:
Let's see what the last episode's tribute will be.
Tomino obviously.
Old 2010-06-19, 16:54   Link #149
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Tomino obviously.
But everyone's already dead.
Old 2010-06-19, 16:59   Link #150
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Heck with you guys, I need more Jun Maeda moments.
Old 2010-06-19, 17:06   Link #151
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
But everyone's already dead.
Then we will get Mai HiME ending
Old 2010-06-19, 17:25   Link #152
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

The Angel Player programmer left behind AP so that a worthy challenger might rise against him. In the last episode, a script triggered by the destruction of the Reset Computer Lab will revive him, and he will engage TK in an epic dance off challenge the remaining SS to an epic battle to decide the fate of the afterlife. No items, angel only, Final Destination.
Old 2010-06-19, 17:35   Link #153
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Shit, I just realized everything TK says are lyrics in songs. Found a youtube video on it. Wow.

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2010-06-19, 17:53   Link #154
Francismeunier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Rushed times ten.

Hey guys, we are runing out of time. Let's just make everyone suddenly move to their next life and explain everything with cheap FAQ posed by the heroine.

Yeah, why not; they will like it no matter what we do so to heck with it.
I was thinking along the lines too but the emotional impact made me forget a lot about it. I think it's more about the emotions. Same thing I though with AIR, Clannad and Kannon 2006. Typical but so emotional.
Old 2010-06-19, 18:01   Link #155
Attoney

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
damn Yuri, for a moment there I thought she gonna go mad in Kira style. I really start to like Yuri.
awesome episode. I just don't get why is Yuri didn't disappear yet.
Yuri didn't disappear because she probably wanted to apologize to Kanade for being a jerk, and treating her like shit ever since they first time they met. Yuri may also want to "know" Kanade more, if you know what I mean.

But in all due seriousness, she founded the SSS and probably just wanted to see its final members move on from this world and the end of the SSS.
Old 2010-06-19, 18:09   Link #156
Dextro
He Without a Title

I got to say it (again): this show needed to have 24 episodes instead of 13. We had just the right pacing at the beginning of the show (with the guild episode being a great example) but the major plot points were just rushed through like there was no tomorrow. The Angel storyline, the Naoi storyline and now this latest storyline... they were all done in a couple of episodes and could easily be stretched to a quarter of a 24 episode show leaving room for some much needed background development of the world and the characters themselves, something sorely needed in Angel Beats.

And now another thing: did Maeda really have to completely rip-off the worse movie in the Matrix trilogy? Really? I mean that guy is clearly the architect and even the "love is a bug" justification was a clear copy from that movie... *sigh*

Oh well, at least it wasn't a total train-wreck since it was interesting enough for me to still be here watching it (although after I've watched Kiddy Girl and- I think I can take virtually any crap they throw at me). I'll say this though, this show won't be one for the books and it'll be forgotten in less than a year by most people. It's a shame cause they could have done so much better given budget but instead we get a moderately interesting premise with great visual effects that falls short on the story department. A shame really...
Old 2010-06-19, 18:22   Link #157
roriconfan
Banned

Anticipating Angel Beats Brotherhood.
This was more like Angel Beats Kai.
Old 2010-06-19, 18:42   Link #158
Key Board
Carbon

I don't think a full season would have made things better.

I think the problem is with the script itself. It's just not a very strong base material.
Old 2010-06-19, 18:47   Link #159
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
It's just not a very strong base material.
Oh it's strong all right. It's just too damn of an obvious rip off. And the fanbase likes it mostly for the emotional aspect so it would indeed be getting cold if it lasted 24 episodes in which most of it was comedy. Heck, why did Maeda go for such a complicating storyline in the first place? He could have few girls baking cake and the results would be the same.
Old 2010-06-19, 19:39   Link #160
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, if it's Maeda we're talking about, yes, even the most mundane of plots can become emotional.

But I'm somewhat conflicted now that someone mentioned that Angel Beats! CAN be ruined by making it a 24-episode series. It made me think that this kind of "half-comedy half-drama" style prevalent throughout the series would just bore people if it was nine episodes longer, probably from the saturation of the comedy scenes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Closed Thread