AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-07, 16:00   Link #41
Chosen_Hero

Somewhere in Canada, Woolie and Matt were touching themselves throughout the entire episode.

Giant Mecha/Robots. Check

Kaijuu. Check

Heroine with thick ass thighs. Check and check

Metal Gear levels of plot confusion by episode one. Check

WTF ending. Check

Chance of ending with a space battle: Trigger + Mecha/Robot = 300%

This anime is proof that Pacific Rim should become an anime... No really, I need that in my life.
Old 2018-10-07, 16:05   Link #42
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The ep.1 is pretty faithful to the original in a lot of area.
Good job at nailing the nostalgia.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 18:47   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That'd be interesting. My assumption was that the humans who died have been replaced by copies. I used "restored" but I think what happened is closer to "recreating".
The crazier explanation (if they wanna go that way) is that the entire world is in an Angel Beats-like setting inside some computer-world. That's why the kaiju (and Gridman) can instantly materialize in the city instead of inside electronic devices . And that's why the buildings and damages can be instantly fixed like how Gridman was able to instantly fixed the damaged grid-structures in the original show with his repairing magic .
Old 2018-10-07, 18:59   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's fitting that Trigger finally makes a show that isn't crass, blatantly misogynistic, twitchy and over-produced and instead of falling all over themselves like usual, most anime fans give it terrible reviews.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 19:25   Link #45
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The crazier explanation (if they wanna go that way) is that the entire world is in an Angel Beats-like setting inside some computer-world. That's why the kaiju (and Gridman) can instantly materialize in the city instead of inside electronic devices . And that's why the buildings and damages can be instantly fixed like how Gridman was able to instantly fixed the damaged grid-structures in the original show with his repairing magic .
I was thinking the same thing. That would be the explanation as to why the building got repaired that fast and no one is complaining/reporting about a casualty count from the fight.
Old 2018-10-07, 19:36   Link #46
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's fitting that Trigger finally makes a show that isn't crass, blatantly misogynistic, twitchy and over-produced and instead of falling all over themselves like usual, most anime fans give it terrible reviews.
I believe to have found the problem. A lot of people look to Trigger for insanity of some kind. Have to admit even I was expecting the kaiju fight to be... crazier. Not sure how, though. Still, it was fun and I want to see if it all goes somewhere.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 20:16   Link #47
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I believe to have found the problem. A lot of people look to Trigger for insanity of some kind. Have to admit even I was expecting the kaiju fight to be... crazier. Not sure how, though. Still, it was fun and I want to see if it all goes somewhere.
That kaiju reminded me of Godzilla in Shin Godzilla. Maybe the meat of this title is what's going on in the background and not the actual fight.
Old 2018-10-07, 20:17   Link #48
Wandering Soul

Well, this episode or at least the whole restoration thing at the end caught my attention. It wasn't a bad start, so I'll stick around to see how this goes.
Old 2018-10-07, 20:26   Link #49
Applehell

Yeah, I thought the first episode was decent too. It's clearly a homage to Tokusatsu with a fresh coat of paint and in a more modern style. It's no Planet With, but it is a sold replacement so far.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 23:14   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Yeah, I thought the first episode was decent too. It's clearly a homage to Tokusatsu with a fresh coat of paint and in a more modern style. It's no Planet With, but it is a sold replacement so far.
Planet With was ASTOUNDING, in both story and it's themes, right from the getgo. This one looks better (I especially LOVE the old-school giant vs giant fight scenes), but seems to be generic Tokusatsu storywise.

Of course, that Shinjou girl may throw a curveball to the story later on (her seeing the green meteor split into fragments may be significant), and this may tie in with the MC's amnesia, but I'm really not expecting much from the story.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 01:38   Link #51
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

*Bangs my head to the wall

How did I not noticed it earlier!?

Those names! Those names are actually from the US Localized version of the original Gridman!
Okay this suddenly makes everything simple now.
Those five people dressed in black are going to be Gridman's equipment.
And don't tell me they are going to form a band later on in the story.

And since the plot is already picking up on the unused story draft of Gridman F (by using Yuta as the main character), then Akane most likely is going to be the "pawn" character in this show.
If they continue with the Gridman F trend, is there going to be a link between Shou and Ippei?
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 09:25   Link #52
alex_drian

I don't know the franchise of Gridman, but I liked this, and the end was interesting, was that a reset? we'll see.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 09:53   Link #53
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
This anime is proof that Pacific Rim should become an anime... No really, I need that in my life.
Why though? PR is essentially just a mesh of Super-Robot tropes with an added grounding and made into live-action movie. 70% of PR's charm is because it’s live action and Del Toro did a good job making a believable massive scale of lumbering robots and monsters. The plot itself is your standard Super-Robot fare where the protag-robots are facing waves of alien-kaijus and partner-synchronization. Making PR into anime will rid of most of its charm, especially the massive scale of the Jaeger & Kaiju fights that we experienced in the movie. Gridman in this episode is capable of doing acrobatic stunts like somersault and flying kick. Replace Gridman with slow-moving Jaeger and the fight won’t be as impressive. PR needs to stay live-action where it belongs.
Old 2018-10-11, 20:16   Link #54
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Why though? PR is essentially just a mesh of Super-Robot tropes with an added grounding and made into live-action movie. 70% of PR's charm is because it’s live action and Del Toro did a good job making a believable massive scale of lumbering robots and monsters. The plot itself is your standard Super-Robot fare where the protag-robots are facing waves of alien-kaijus and partner-synchronization. Making PR into anime will rid of most of its charm, especially the massive scale of the Jaeger & Kaiju fights that we experienced in the movie. Gridman in this episode is capable of doing acrobatic stunts like somersault and flying kick. Replace Gridman with slow-moving Jaeger and the fight won’t be as impressive. PR needs to stay live-action where it belongs.
Watched the first episode, and since I do love the kaiju genre much then I'm sold for the time being to Gridman.

And, I did not forget to make my research on Gridman. Basically, the 1993 Denkou Choujin Gridman live-action TV series served as the source material for the American adaptation, Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. The American show did have its moments (Tim Curry as the voice of Kilokahn is to be forever remembered), but that one show cannot beat with the luster of the original.

Now recalling the tropes of the American show, which obviously either inherited or copied from the original, we have MC boy joining with Gridman in the computer space but materializes in the real world while being supported from the sidelines by his school mates.

Obviously, this is my first approach to the Gridman franchise (Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad doesn't count), and since I virtually know nothing much on the show I can only guess that whoever makes the kaiju models pretty much hates the current world and struck a deal with the alien or inter-dimensional invaders to let them in for the invasion of Earth.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 22:40   Link #55
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
And, I did not forget to make my research on Gridman. Basically, the 1993 Denkou Choujin Gridman live-action TV series served as the source material for the American adaptation, Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. The American show did have its moments (Tim Curry as the voice of Kilokahn is to be forever remembered), but that one show cannot beat with the luster of the original.
Speaking of moments, here's one which Tim Curry did for real-time strategy game Red Alert 3.

(Some context for those who don't know - in one of the game's final missions you must capture Tim Curry's character, the Soviet Union Premier. He's escaping Earth in a space shuttle and your mission is to destroy the shuttle and the shielding devices around it in the time limit given to win the mission.)

zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 00:32   Link #56
Korol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Speaking of moments, here's one which Tim Curry did for real-time strategy game Red Alert 3.

(Some context for those who don't know - in one of the game's final missions you must capture Tim Curry's character, the Soviet Union Premier. He's escaping Earth in a space shuttle and your mission is to destroy the shuttle and the shielding devices around it in the time limit given to win the mission.)

SPAAAAAACEEEEEE!!!!! XD hahahha!! Tim Curry always been the having his Large Ham Tendency and He is Pennywise.
Korol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 01:44   Link #57
Wheeljack83

I liked it but the first episode was kinda clunky and confusing.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 16:26   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Ok, so that clears some things up. The city gets fixed up and memories get wiped, but anyone who ends up killed in these fights will stay dead. The cost is still there and in a sense it's even more painful for the main cast to be the only ones aware of what is going on and being lost. I suppose you could say it's sad the families are losing their chances to fully grieve because the deaths are made to be something that happened in the past. Though maybe in some ways they are spared being hit head on. But that also comes at the cost of memories they had with their lost loved ones.

It does kind of put a pressure point on the main cast to hurry up and get to the bottom of this situation. The longer it takes the more people are going to get killed.
Old 2018-10-13, 17:29   Link #59
bercerus

EP2

DID OBARI HIMSELF DIRECT FINISHING ATTACK SECENE?!

i mean his signature is all over. the sword pose , the dashing , the overhead swing , and best of all THE AFTER EXPLOSION POSE!!!

you can compare to scene that obari actually design and direct.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

my super robot fan's senses are all ticking. trigger now can do giant/mecha/kaiju battle in all it glory. as they always love to do and good at it. unlike *cough franxx *cough....
bercerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 18:54   Link #60
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Akane being the main antagonist instantly made this show better for me. I have a soft spot for cute psychotic villains. It was fun to see her reactions to the destruction her Kaiju was causing. Very interested in why she's doing this, and what her relationship with Rikka is/was like. The ED implies they were close.

Of course, there were other reasons this episode was good. The reveal dead people stayed dead but memories were rewritten and reality altered to accommodate their death was a great one. If this keeps up, their city will become a ghost town. Assuming it is a real city in the first place and they're not inside a simulation or something.
Samurai Calibur is a cool character, and I can't wait to see the rest of the assist weapons. I don't know if Obari directed the scene, but whoever did was clearly inspired by his work. That pose is unmistakable!

Tags
kaiju, super hero, tokusatsu, tsuburaya