Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-07, 15:01   Link #121
c^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
No you're highly wrong:
For someone who expressed such confusion, that is quite an aggressive response.
Quote:
130 light years means the distance covered by something traveling at the speed of the light for 130 years.
This is an ambiguous statement, and I believe you have taken the incorrect meaning. Go back and read my post again: photons do not age; talking about 130 years of time from their perspective doesn't make any sense.

The factor which relates observer time to traveler time is 1/sqrt(1-u^2/c^2). For a photon, u=c, and that expression is infinite. Time does not pass for a photon. Similarly, for something traveling at 0.99999c, time will elapse ~224 times slower.
Quote:
This implies that:
1) A distance of 130 light years means it's needed 130 years of time to cover it for an observer who moves at the speed of the light.
No. The distance is defined by how far light travels in 130 years as observed from an outside inertial frame of reference. A light-year is merely a distance: 1 year * c = ~63241AU, no more, no less. A trip of 130 light-years at 0.99999c will take ~130.0013 years as perceived by a stationary observer, and ~7 months from the traveler's perspective.

In any case, I was only intending to shed some light on the situation, and bring attention to a rather fascinating aspect of our world. (That photons which don't experience time themselves, allow us to behold the earliest ages of the universe.)

From a physics standpoint, the time and space travel aspects do make sense. What is a bit beyond belief is the ability to approach c so closely; this requires a fantastically ludicrous amount of energy. However, without such devices, SF would be a lot less interesting. As it is, this is looking like it will be among my very favorite works.

Anyways, I apologize if I have only succeeded in wasting peoples' time. If anyone does have an interest in physics, or even if you have a physics class you hate, go check out the Feynman Lectures at your local library, you won't be disappointed. Beyond that, lets bury this, and get back to the more interesting aspects of the show!
Old 2006-11-07, 17:24   Link #122
Mareel

Send a message via AIM to Mareel
Im glad someone beat me to it ^^^. I saw all of the ignorant threads last night before heading to bed, and was planning on posting more or less what you just did after I got out of classes today. Of course my relativistic physics knowledge is a bit rusty anyways :P Now if they had a show with debated facts on Chemistry on the otherhand...

Show seems promising though. I always loved the intergalactic war setting where there isn't some magical FTL travel. Its so depressing and intriguing at the same time to think about the logistics behind the setting. The fact that people get shipped off knowing that even if they survive and win that those they eft behind will almost certainly be dead before they can go home is something that I find ..I dunno, facinating?

Did I mention I absolutely love the designs of the Strains. I normally really don't get into how most Mecha look, and think they generally look bland. However, I thought the Strains were really nice.

I really hope they can get off the lets hassle the chick who is working too hard thing that the second episode started as soon as possible. I honestly hate that sort of stuff.
Old 2006-11-07, 17:43   Link #123
EragonJeriel
heh

Hmmm i hope she can pilot a strain again with emily's mimic and pwn them ass hard, though if she can use another's mimic, why not do so in the start...
Old 2006-11-07, 18:21   Link #124
ShingoKun
Hot.. Hot!!

Send a message via AIM to ShingoKun Send a message via MSN to ShingoKun
did that pendant Sara got from her Nii-san have something to do with MIMIC?
Old 2006-11-07, 18:36   Link #125
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

I don't think so,looks like your usual keepsake.
What made you think that?

I bet using another MIMIC isn't going to be easy and will have some intresting side-effects.Don't forget that emily's related to her brother it's probably going to help a lot.

It's weird,this show is very predictable but in a nice way.
Old 2006-11-07, 18:43   Link #126
ShingoKun
Hot.. Hot!!

i dunno i thought it was glowing one time during the 1st ep or something and perhaps more important than a keepsake.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8...3490582cw6.jpg thought that was part of pendant but was just her suit.
Old 2006-11-07, 18:50   Link #127
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Thumbs up My thoughts/theories

Better begining then i thought it was going to be plus double episodes made it even better. I was amazed that we got to see some serious bloodshed so early on but i understand it as well. Sara watching her friends and classmates die combined with her brothers betryal was the setting for te Sara we see later in the series. I approve of the personality change and how it was brought about no one could live through that kind of shit and be the same as they were before. So charcter development for her is coming along nicely

The fact that Sara despite not being able to pilot a a STRAIN anymore decides to go to the Mobil infentry divison instead. This is a sure sign of her wiliingness to take on her brother. She feels shes lost everything and that could make her desprate but also very dangerous. Her coldness and withdrawl from everyone is too be expected the best way not to lose friends is not to have any. Even though she can not pilot a STRAIN anymore it would be hard for her to pilot anything without showing signs that she was once a Reasoner. The mass produced mechs looks like there more for guarding capital ships and such. There speed and armour dont look all that impressive but a whole company of them together moving in squads could be just as deadly as Navy Seals or Delta Force.

I cant express my happiness with the series using real physics in terms of space travel and determining light years properly. Im tired of seeing series that do not do this every now and them is fine but as Einstein proved we can travel faster than the speed of light but we can come close to it which is what they refered to in the anime.

I love how Mimics are the key to operating a STRAIN and the how they harvest a person brain cells while still in the womb. This means that anyone can be a Reasoner depending on there skill of course but the idea behind it is very original and very innovative.

The STRAINS are intresting mechs i dont dislike them since they remind me of Vandread and i loved that series. They seems very verstile and can easily switch from close to long range combat. Im thinking the agility of the STRAIN is awsome due to the pilot basically being linked the system by their Mimic, i wondering if there is some type of neural link the pilots use. They also look like they have speed swept back wing mode most likely used for crusing. The front appendges look light Holo blades for close combat however it also looks like they can project that energy into some type of perjectile. The high manouvrability and speed would make them a very nasty mech to go up against especially in a pack. Unfournelty i think i have found at the least the yellow and green models weakness. The middle of the torso looks to be vulnarable if you back and look at where Sara's brother stuck the 3 STRAINS of Sara's classmates he destroyed he did it straight through torso tearing them in half or this might also be where the cockpit is. THe GLOIRE type STRAIN seems to possess a higher manouvrability and speed also the capaablilty to turn its 4 apendeges in to 4 spears that strike outwards i also noticed an extra 2 that either came from tail or from its back. Im sure we will see diffrent classes of STRAINS as the series moves forward

Over all very enjoyble i just hopes it doesnt slow down i think a series like this needs to be fast paced. The camera movements during the battle scenes were excellent as well. If this is anything like other series i have watched before it were going to get a huge space battle scene at the end i hope so i love those

c^2 thanks for posting what you did and yes everything you stated was correct on Faster than light travel, I dont think ccardosa ment any harm even though he was a little agressive. Anyone who has taken Physics should know that protons do not age. IT was one of the first facts that learned and i for one do not think you wasted anyones time. Near speed of light travel is pointed out in the show and some people might now understand it. Its an important aspect of the series and i for one think its what makes the show worth watching that they creators put that much thought in to it.

Heres a link that might help anyone whos having trouble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

Last edited by Sinestra; 2006-11-07 at 19:08.
Old 2006-11-07, 19:49   Link #128
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

[quote=ShingoKun;732862]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8...3490582cw6.jpg

I finally figure who Sara reminded me of.

Misaki form Angelic Layer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelic_Layer

Tell the me couldn't be twins seperated at birth.

The grunt suits looks a lot like the "van suit" form vandread. They even thave the same coloring. And the strain reminds me of the guymelf form escaflowne in terms of design but more shiny and without the cape.
Old 2006-11-07, 20:26   Link #129
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i think this series is giving off a lot of Z.O.E (zone of the enders) vibes...having played the game i can somewat relate the animation of the mecha and the darkness of the stroy to it
Well, the director of Soukou no Strain happens to be the same person who directed the anime adaption of Z.O.E.

The first two episodes were pretty good, even though all that technical stuff about strains and mimics was confusing as hell to me. But just about every part of what I've seen was very interesting nonetheless. The series really could have gone without the blatant fan-service in episode 2, though.

I liked the way Sara's personality just changed after seeing all her friends die. I thought this series would be some kind of generic comedy/mecha-type show, so the more realistic character development was a very pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Darkman.exe213; 2006-11-07 at 23:44.
Old 2006-11-07, 21:05   Link #130
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman.exe213 View Post

The first two episodes were pretty good, even though all that technical stuff about strains and mimics was confusing as hell to me. But just about every part of what I've seen was very interesting nonetheless. The series really could have gone without the blatant fan-service in episode 2, though.

Agreed. The first ep was definitely better than the second. There was a greater focus on fanservice in the second episode, and there were also a few surreal dramatic parts. The first episode did it's job as the hook, but the second falls behind in terms of meeting the bar that the introduction set.
Though as long as continues to elaborate on the plot and not deteriorate further into becoming a 'fanservicey thing', it'll all be good. For a series comprising of only 13 episodes, wasted minutes put into fanservice doesn't help the series much.

Waiting for them to properly explain the whole Ralph Werec betrayal thing.
Old 2006-11-07, 22:39   Link #131
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
Agreed. The first ep was definitely better than the second. There was a greater focus on fanservice in the second episode, and there were also a few surreal dramatic parts. The first episode did it's job as the hook, but the second falls behind in terms of meeting the bar that the introduction set. Though as long as continues to elaborate on the plot and not deteriorate further into becoming a 'fanservicey thing', it'll all be good. For a series comprising of only 13 episodes, wasted minutes put into fanservice doesn't help the series much. Waiting for them to properly explain the whole Ralph Werec betrayal thing.
I actually didn't remember any fanservice, so I watched the second episode again and saw it. About two seconds of rear-view complete nudity, maybe ten more of underwear, while the plot was continuing uninterrupted. It's legitimate to be offended -- although I wasn't -- but it definitely didn't take any time away from anything else.

Fanservice does serve some fans, and maybe the semi-nudity helped give a feeling of vulnerability that increased the emotional effect of the last bit of the show. Thanks for the encouragement to see that second episode again so I could make my own judgment.

And I found the second episode just as satisfying as the first, if less dramatic. We got some development of several characters whom I guess we will continue to see. We learned about the new Sara. And we went through one full stage of Sara's training.

I don't think we'll find out the truth about Ralph for a while yet. That will be the mystery drawing us forward through the story.

Good show so far. I look forward to seeing episode three raw tomorrow. It's on at midnight Wednesday nights in Japan, which is 10am Wednesday morning in Toronto or New York, 1 pm in Britain.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-11-08, 01:03   Link #132
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

hopefully ep3 will rock, i want to see Sara in her new strain for more then a few sec in the end. Some fight scenes featureing will be good. I will be hunting for the ep thread on 2chan as soon as i get up.

I see Ep2 as a setup ep of Sara and her current enviroment and a introduction to the universe of Strain. I didn't even notice the fan service unitl i watch it the 2nd time around. It was hardly worth mentioning imo.
Old 2006-11-08, 01:09   Link #133
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Yea, the second episode did its job well. It was meant to show the huge transition from a respected reasoner with a promising future as a pilot and a bright attitude.

To that of a basic mecha pilot who had a hard pass and a life they just wanted to forget. From somone who had it all to someone who has lost everything they wished for, or even held dear.

I really liked the second episode actually, it really showed well Sara's emotional state.
Old 2006-11-08, 01:10   Link #134
evil-samurai

Fantastic first episode, I've seen a few great first episodes this season but none of them except mabye death note draged me into the show so much! Though the second episode didn't have the same effect it was still pretty good, cant wait to see where the show goes. Made a few gifs =) but the are only of the first episode. Why did Sara have to cut here hair :/ not that its that bad but I like it better longer =).

Old 2006-11-08, 01:15   Link #135
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai View Post
Fantastic first episode, I've seen a few great first episodes this season but none of them except mabye death note draged me into the show so much! Though the second episode didn't have the same effect it was still pretty good, cant wait to see where the show goes. Made a few gifs =) but the are only of the first episode. Why did Sara have to cut here hair :/ not that its that bad but I like it better longer =).

We will probably be treated to a flashback of Sara cutting her hair symbolsing the death of Sara Werec and the birth of Sara Crust.
Old 2006-11-08, 01:18   Link #136
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman.exe213 View Post
Well, the director of Soukou no Strain happens to be the same person who directed the anime adaption of Z.O.E.

I liked the way Sara's personality just changed after seeing all her friends die. I thought this series would be some kind of generic comedy/mecha-type show, so the more realistic character development was a very pleasant surprise.
oh rly? didnt know that i knew something was similar heh...

and talk about her personality change...its to be expected...i mean youve lost everything...your friends, school and the person you loved most in the world...its amazing that she didnt lose her mind as well

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-08, 01:27   Link #137
EragonJeriel
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

I finally figure who Sara reminded me of.

Misaki form Angelic Layer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelic_Layer

Tell the me couldn't be twins seperated at birth.

The grunt suits looks a lot like the "van suit" form vandread. They even thave the same coloring. And the strain reminds me of the guymelf form escaflowne in terms of design but more shiny and without the cape.
Wow, indeed look very much alike but i still like the longer hair
Cant wait to see her pwn some asses hard, hope there will be no side effects from using another's mimic,
Well someone stated it would. lets hope its more than a keep sake

Last edited by EragonJeriel; 2006-11-08 at 02:03.
Old 2006-11-08, 02:19   Link #138
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai View Post
Baka XD

I think there's a deeper reason why Sara wants to confront her older brother.

"ONII-SAN! DO YOU PREFER FLAT CHESTS OR FULLY DEVELOPED ONES!"

Last edited by dodgethis_sg; 2006-11-08 at 05:33.
Old 2006-11-08, 04:51   Link #139
ShingoKun
Hot.. Hot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethis_sg View Post
Baka XD

I think there's a deeper reason why Sara wants to confront her older brother.

"ONII-SAN! DO YOU PREFER FLAT CHESTS OR FULL DEVELOPED ONES!"
ONII-SAN: Full Developed FTW

Is Sara gonna bring her bro back to the light?
Old 2006-11-08, 05:30   Link #140
JediNight
キズランダム

Okay so I've been wondering about this: If Ralph Werec is back after only around 10 years, then that means he never went to that war 130 light-years away, right? So the plot does thicken then as to what exactly happened to him.

Spoiler for Ep2:
Closed Thread