Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-05-28, 14:15   Link #301
clicq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
Hrm...

It was compiled on a Macbook Pro, but a Core Duo rather than a Core 2 Duo (one of the originals). Aside from that, I can't really see what would be causing it.

Has anyone else with a Core 2 Duo-based Mac had problems as well?

Out of interest, which video out module are you using? That can be selected from Preferences as well. I'm using the CoreVideo (BETA) module, as otherwise I can't fullscreen to a 2nd display properly.
I have a Core 2 Duo Macbook (2.0ghz), and I can play AVI files correctly without any issues using the version of mplayer posted on the first page, though I have installed other versions in the past (maybe they left something behind that enables it to work?).
Old 2007-05-29, 06:51   Link #302
Nonezumi

Afternoon, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY View Post
I installed that codec package, it didn't change a thing. I tried removing Mplayer and then reinstalling it (I deleted the config file in ~/.mplayer first) and now Mplayer seems to work fine for MKVs. Some AVIs on the other hand render with sped up audio or the video plays slow.
Ah, so now the problem is just with SOME AVI files rather than all?

I know there have been some issues with avi files in the past where the MP3 audio information in the header has incorrectly marked the file as being a 96KHz audio file rather than 48KHz (such as illustrated here).

When I was using VLC, I didn't tend to notice these problems, as it seemed to correct it, but there's a good chance that libMAD may well still exhibit these problems.

Again, any sample files you can throw my direction (or at least the name of) to check it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Moon View Post
Hi guys,
Do you know how to play RMVB (Real Media Variable Bitrate) files on MPlayer ?
I already download the RP9 codecs for Mac from MPlayer home site, but it doesn't work. The image does not come out, only the sound.
Do i need to re-compile MPlayer ?
How ?

Thanks in advance.
This one _may_ be a simple fix; I'm assuming the file you're looking at has a .ram or a .rmvb suffix to the filename. If you change it to .rm there's a good chance it may well play in mplayer.

I used this fix on a couple of very old RealMedia files I was playing over the weekend (The Lonely Astronaut), and the .ram suffix files had to be renamed to .rm before mplayer would even consider playing them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyRobot View Post
Yes I've run into similar problems as BOZZY. I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I'm getting the same error messages, "error code: 1"

I've noticed that if I leave the addition parameters (containing "-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad,") box UNchecked, I get speeded up or garbled audio with avi files. If it's checked, then the .avi files don't even play (it tries to open, but closes right away; "continue or open log" options pop up).

I've also noticed a similar problem with some .mkv files. Sometimes the only way to get them to play properly is by UNchecking the additional parameters box. In these cases, the subs still show up (and without having to cycle through the sub files with "b", they are already there by default). If I try to play these files with the box checked, I get the "Playback Error". So really, I'd think these ones are fine, and don't even need that "addition parameters" thing.

In other cases with the box unchecked, other mkv files still play, but without proper subtitles (i can enable the subs, but all the characters show up as question marks - like the actual text at the bottom is all "?"). But having the boxed checked to play these ones make them work as they should. The files play fine, and I can enable subs as a please.

So I find that when I choose to watch an mkv and it doesnt work, I try switching the additional parameters on and off. As for avi files, I use quicktime (with perian and some other codecs that I probably don't need anymore...).

Hopefully that makes some sense. I can try to explain things in more detail if you need more information, such as info on which mkvs work, and which don't
Hrm... Perhaps, like Bozzy, you have existing (and out of date) .mplayer files. Though I don't think you'll need to do a reinstall, it could be worth removing your .mplayer folder and letting mplayer recreate it on the next start.

The question mark issue often tends to be because you've told it not to render using the embedded font, and has defaulted to the mplayer system font (which rarely includes the Japanese character set), so um, yeah, you will get question marks all over the place!

What I would be interested in would be if someone with a Core2 Duo would be prepared to give the playing of some files a go by launching mplayer through terminal rather than the mplayer front-end. It'll require a little bit of confidence with using the keyboard, but I can help out on that... It would help see if any more issues can be tracked down. Without a Core2 machine around, it's a little difficult to try out, and I'm not feeling flush enough to own a 2nd Mac just yet, until I have a few hundred quid spare to shove a Mac Mini in replacement to my XBMC set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
So I was noticing that in MPlayer the default font for when a font isn't specified is some kind of stylized thing using the custom build and preferences. Is there a way to specify what font I want the default font to be in these cases? I'd rather it be something plain like Arial.
Copy the font you would like to use to ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf and that'll be your own default.

I've not really done anything funky with the fontconfig, but as it's compiled to look in a different location (something I've not been able to circumnavigate yet), you _may_ find that this file may help you out. It is for INTEL-BASED MACS ONLY. Please ensure you do not have an /opt/local/etc/fonts folder before you extract it

Your mileage may vary - let me know how you get on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post
I have a Core 2 Duo Macbook (2.0ghz), and I can play AVI files correctly without any issues using the version of mplayer posted on the first page, though I have installed other versions in the past (maybe they left something behind that enables it to work?).
There could well be, though I have a feeling it's something to do with old .mplayer folders which could be causing the problems...
Old 2007-05-29, 14:07   Link #303
BOZZY

Well for instance, I just opened up Eclipse-SS' Hayate no Gotoku episode 9 and the audio is playing too fast (video and audio are not in sync)... There is also a bit of a woobly sounding effect in the audio.

When playing Serin's Idolmaster episode 8 the audio is more like clicks then actual talking (whereas in the Hayate episode you can sort of still make out what they are saying).

Actually it seems to be all the AVIs I have (I've tested a slew of them). However in the process of testing I've found a new bug too that seems to have creeped up. I haven't been able to recreate it all the time but it's happened quite a few times. When I play an AVI or MKV and then via the playlist I select another file by double clicking it, the audio will play for maybe a second or two.

Albeitly I got a question that doesn't totally relate to playback, but more to the issue of the playlist, namely that sometimes when I drag and drop several videos into the playlist it'll select only several of them but not all. For example, if I drag over 6 episodes of Code Geass (say episodes 1-6), only 2, 3, and 6 would appear in the playlist.

Also, I could try re-compiling Mplayer OSX if I had the source code if that would help at all.

Ran it via terminal btw and I still had the same issues with the audio... I did however get the following appear in terminal:

Spoiler:

I also redirected (or at least tried to) some of the actions into a file:

Spoiler:

Last edited by BOZZY; 2007-05-29 at 14:29.
Old 2007-05-29, 15:30   Link #304
Nonezumi

Bozzy:

Spoiler for Code snippet:

This bit means that it's NOT using libmad to play the mp3 audio file; it's using ffmpeg instead... And that WILL have screwed-up MP3 audio.

Try playing an AVI using the following command line (and this does assume that you left the package with its default name...

Spoiler for Command line - Intel ONLY, and to be used to test an AVI file with MP3 audio:

As long as you played a file with an MP3 audio soundtrack, you should hear the correct music. If you play a file with any other audio soundtrack, you'll hear nothing

You should get a section like this on the text output...

Spoiler for Forced Audio Output:

If it doesn't, I'll be interested as to why...

As for the playlist? That's very much out of my control; that'll be something you'll need to chat to the nice people over at MPlayer themselves again; I've never got it to work either! I just drag and drop files at a time....
Old 2007-05-29, 19:31   Link #305
BOZZY

Seems to work via console, but it seems that's the only way I can get it to work right...
Old 2007-05-30, 04:07   Link #306
Nonezumi

Quote:
Seems to work via console, but it seems that's the only way I can get it to work right...
That kinda says that something must be up with the front-end somewhere along the lines, rather than the build. Had many previous versions on there? Could ther ebe any config files hanging around?

*goes off to investigate the front-end*
Old 2007-05-30, 09:16   Link #307
Nonezumi

Bozzy: Hrm....

I've had a check through the install package I based my version of MPlayer off of, and it doesn't show any external dependencies in its vanilla form.

It uses two config files in total; one plist file, and the standard mplayer unix config file...

In Library->Preferences, could you remove the file hu.mplayerhq.mplayerosx.plist and then re-run mplayer? Should take the mplayer front-end config file back to defaults.

Clear out your ~/.mplayer folder as well for good measure

Then see if the additional parameters as shown on the front page work for you...
Old 2007-05-30, 13:46   Link #308
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Copy the font you would like to use to ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf and that'll be your own default.

I've not really done anything funky with the fontconfig, but as it's compiled to look in a different location (something I've not been able to circumnavigate yet), you _may_ find that this file may help you out. It is for INTEL-BASED MACS ONLY. Please ensure you do not have an /opt/local/etc/fonts folder before you extract it

Your mileage may vary - let me know how you get on.
Well, I have a PPC Mac. I tried copying Gulim there but nothing seems to have happened. Maybe I should logout and log back in to see if that makes a difference. And just to verify, there's a folder called "fonts" in there already. It does not go in there, right?

UPDATE: Okay, I can confirm, it did nothing.
Old 2007-05-31, 13:36   Link #309
Nonezumi

Quote:
Well, I have a PPC Mac. I tried copying Gulim there but nothing seems to have happened. Maybe I should logout and log back in to see if that makes a difference. And just to verify, there's a folder called "fonts" in there already. It does not go in there, right?

UPDATE: Okay, I can confirm, it did nothing.
...and again, through checking, if you run from the terminal and don't use the MPlayer OSX front-end, the alternative font in .mplayer works...

The front-end seems to be the part which needs more work. Anyone know how to program Cocoa applications?
Old 2007-06-02, 12:59   Link #310
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
...and again, through checking, if you run from the terminal and don't use the MPlayer OSX front-end, the alternative font in .mplayer works...

The front-end seems to be the part which needs more work. Anyone know how to program Cocoa applications?
How do I run this build from Terminal? Simply typing "mplayer" in Terminal doesn't seem to work like it does if I build it from source myself. What directory do I have to be in?

EDIT: Hot DOG, I know how to make it work with the GUI! Remember that "fonts" folder I mentioned earlier? Simply delete everything in there and drop in the font you want, and that will be the new default. I have verified that this works. And I don't think there are any problems with it, since that's clearly not the font library MPlayer draws from (too few fonts for that to be the case). Can you verify that this works for you?

UPDATE: Okay, I verified, that's just where MPlayer stores fonts that it has used before. There's no danger in the process at all.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2007-06-03 at 20:52.
Old 2007-06-03, 01:03   Link #311
BOZZY

Quote:
How do I run this build from Terminal? Simply typing "mplayer" in Terminal doesn't seem to work like it does if I build it from source myself. What directory do I have to be in?

EDIT: Hot DOG, I know how to make it work with the GUI! Remember that "fonts" folder I mentioned earlier? Simply delete everything in there and drop in the font you want, and that will be the new default. I have verified that this works. And I don't think there are any problems with it, since that's clearly not the font library MPlayr draws from (too few fonts for that to be the case). Can you verify that this works for you?
From terminal type in the following:

cd /Applications/MPlayer\ OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/

Followed by this on the next line:
mplayer -commands nameOfFile.mkv
Old 2007-06-03, 17:32   Link #312
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
From terminal type in the following:

cd /Applications/MPlayer\ OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/

Followed by this on the next line:
mplayer -commands nameOfFile.mkv
Thanks!
Old 2007-06-03, 18:48   Link #313
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I'm starting to have some ODD troubles related to this mplayer. Now, when I quit mplayer after watching an episode of RxJ, I start to have WEIRD UI issues. Parts of my buddy list will disappear in Adium, and I have to hide and reveal the Contact List to get it to behave. Or, I just tried to launch a PDF and only the drawer for its multiple pages showed up, not the window itself. Again, had to hide and reveal for it to draw correctly. Finder icons will randomly clear. Is there some strange monkeying going on with how mplayer gets video to the screen that'd fuck up the UI?
Old 2007-06-04, 02:12   Link #314
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ killmoms

Hm. What video-out module are you using for MPlayer? I can't think of anything that should be doing that, unless CoreVideo does something weird when it's drawing the screen. I assume that you're watching in full screen? Perhaps try without that, see if it is the screen refreshing (which is about all I can think of), and as I mentioned before, see which video-out method you're using... perhaps try another one (they are MPlayer, CoreVideo and Quartz/QT.

@ Lohengrin

Well. Firstly, I recommend you download the actual version of MPlayer that the instructions in this thread relate to, it's linked in the first post of this thread. Try that, and let us know how you go.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-06-04, 08:56   Link #315
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
@ killmoms

Hm. What video-out module are you using for MPlayer? I can't think of anything that should be doing that, unless CoreVideo does something weird when it's drawing the screen. I assume that you're watching in full screen? Perhaps try without that, see if it is the screen refreshing (which is about all I can think of), and as I mentioned before, see which video-out method you're using... perhaps try another one (they are MPlayer, CoreVideo and Quartz/QT.
I was using MPlayer. As I recall, Quartz/QT would crash when trying to play Umai's RxJ releases, and now I'm too gun-shy to try CoreVideo. I'm not watching in full-screen though. 24" screen + non-high-def material = not so much need for full-screen. I basically just open up files and play 'em at 100%.

In any event, it seems to be pretty consistent now, and I have to log out and log back in to get things behaving again.
Old 2007-06-06, 10:54   Link #316
BOZZY

Argh this is so frusterating... ><

I was wondering if I could make a bit of a selfish request and ask if someone could post the DMG to the previous version of Mplayer OSX with support for subtitles? The previous version gave me no problems whatsoever when it comes to play video...
Old 2007-06-06, 19:20   Link #317
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ BOZZY

Try opening the binary in Rosetta (Get Info, tick the box). That has the effect of activating the exact same version as was present in the old compile of MPlayer - it's just a PPC version instead of an Intel-native one. If that works for you, let me know.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-06-06, 21:40   Link #318
BOZZY

Seems to have done the trick... It works fine now... I had to remove the -ac mad parameter though...
Old 2007-06-07, 06:16   Link #319
Nonezumi

Quote:
Seems to have done the trick... It works fine now... I had to remove the -ac mad parameter though...
The trouble is, as you're running the PPC version it's going to be next to useless if you try and run HD material - the reason the -ac mad, part is removed is because you CAN compile in MP3 audio by default, which can't be done on Intel macs.

*takes further question to PM*
Old 2007-06-07, 22:50   Link #320
jweise20

I thought I set everything up right, but...

I tried to play an mkv with softsubs on mplayer (the Universal version -- I have an Intel Core 2 Duo Mac HD), and the video wouldn't even play. Instead I got this error:

Abnormal playback termination. Check log file for more information.

The log has this to say:

2007-06-07 23:43:42.428 MPlayer OSX[709] ===================== MPlayer OSX Started =====================
2007-06-07 23:43:42.632 MPlayer OSX[709] Path to MPlayer: /Applications/MPlayer OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer
2007-06-07 23:43:42.632 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: /Users/joey/Desktop/Stuff/Video/Blue Dragon/[ILA-Skewed] Blue Dragon - 02.mkv
2007-06-07 23:43:42.632 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -monitoraspect
2007-06-07 23:43:42.632 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: 1.6000
2007-06-07 23:43:42.632 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -vo
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: macosx:shared_buffer
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -ass
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -embeddedfonts
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -fontconfig
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -ac
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: mad,
-ass
-ass
-ass
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -slave
2007-06-07 23:43:42.633 MPlayer OSX[709] Arg: -identify
2007-06-07 23:43:42.740 MPlayer OSX[709] *** Assertion failure in -[NSTextFieldCell _objectValue:forString:errorDescription:], AppKit.subproj/NSCell.m:1298
2007-06-07 23:43:42.740 MPlayer OSX[709] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x4134504D.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 10 in module: filter_video
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
2007-06-07 23:43:44.820 MPlayer OSX[709] Abnormal playback error. mplayer returned error code: 1

Mean anything to anybody?

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate