AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-08, 02:50   Link #61
Manic
real men love pink

Lets be honest the only ppl that are gonna be buying those subbed dvds are the ppl who have already watched it, or had a friend tell them how good was.Then the ppl who have watched it prolly already have the eclipse subs on their HD so why would u buy something that was most likely done half assed.

With that said ppl who are not familiar with the series, and/or just dont like watching subs are never gonna give this show a chance, so its losing a lot of potential fan base here.

also u cant say its all fear i mean if you dont understand a language it can come off sounding annoying, i know it did for me at first, and when dubs are available for most shows theres no reason to watch em. If a show can be made in your native language i think most would prefer that over reading subs all the time, hell when our movies are brought overseas they dub over them. Also If i didnt watch the subs to begin with i wouldnt know how horrible the dub is compared to it, the old saying ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
(obviously because you can't have it in Japanese due to this Yankee superstition of fear against different languages)
also this is sooo not true, we have to be one of the most accommodating countries
Old 2009-05-08, 07:34   Link #62
klowny
OH NO

When i saw the first DVD in Bestbuy i was going to buy it but the cover did look a little cheap and i thought i was going to buy a fake copy but then i read on the back that it was a real deal. Aside from the cover i was hoping to hear it in english but turns out it had only subtitles.

As much as i like Clannad (well the first season anyway) i wanted to hear it dub because i always like to get a laugh and i enjoy hearing it in English no matter how bad it is. I'm pretty sure i'll buy it later (when it goes down in price)
Old 2009-05-08, 09:15   Link #63
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
also u cant say its all fear i mean if you dont understand a language it can come off sounding annoying
Thus the superstitious fear of another language. You just proved my point. You find the languages annoying because it was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
also this is sooo not true, we have to be one of the most accommodating countries
Being accommodating to immigration is quite different from accommodating to various cultures. The United States is not exactly a major recipient of cultured goods, especially with our retarded trading regulations getting in the way.

On the other hand, how often do you get to see subtitled programs on television? And I mean public television. Hell, you don't even get to see subtitled programs on cable all that much. When people are speaking another language on the news, its dubbed over. When documentary was in another language, its dubbed over. Import products rarely retain their original packaging, and mostly dubbed over.

This is a trend not shared in East Asia and Europe, where the pursuit of dubbing is not a priority. In Japan, products imported from other countries mostly retain their original packaging as well as their original texts and so forth. On television, people speaking another language are rarely dubbed over, but subtitled (unless its a footage from CNN).

And people who live in Western Europe knows how many languages they will have to learn while growing up. Hell, our high school students can't even comprehend Spanish I!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-05-08 at 09:31.
Old 2009-05-22, 13:31   Link #64
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I generally watch all shows with dubs first as long they aren't horrible or have tons of editing (4Kids are notorious for this)....

I still think that there is a need for a dub for Clannad so people who like this kind of genre of Anime would be able to watch it without having trouble reading the subs... because they disappear after a few seconds and not all of us are speed readers... Even I have some trouble reading the subs sometimes... Thats why I'm holding off on buying it until I see a dub release if there ever be one.
Old 2009-05-23, 00:48   Link #65
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
That is kind of sad since it probably will not receive a dub. I can't understand how people complain about subs I understand reading disorders but otherwise give me a break u_u
Old 2009-05-26, 05:57   Link #66
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Who's dubbing Sunohara? I thought Vic would be good for that role.
Old 2009-05-26, 12:19   Link #67
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Who's dubbing Sunohara? I thought Vic would be good for that role.
There is no dub. The company that licensed Clannad will be releasing the DVD's with only subs.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-26, 13:55   Link #68
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh okay. I should've probably read the whole topic.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:55   Link #69
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I'm still really disappointed that there's no dub. They could have made it fantastic if they'd wanted to.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:16   Link #70
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm still really disappointed that there's no dub. They could have made it fantastic if they'd wanted to.
I doubt it. Clannad has way too many culturally specific situations for the dubbing to express them correctly.

Then again, I have a bias towards dubbing.

Take Mai-Hime/Otome for example, Shizuru speaks with an elegant Kyoto accent, which is very cultured Japanese feminine speech. Unfortunately, in the dubbing, out of all accents available in the English language, they gave her a Southern accent. I mean, for crying out loud give her a Victorian English accent or something, but a Dixie accent? Give me a break.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-27, 21:38   Link #71
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I could argue that Clannad has too many culturally specific situations for subbing to express them correctly either.

Any translation is going to lose something in the process whether the translation replaces the audio or not.

Dubs CAN be good. They usually aren't but it's possible.
Old 2009-05-27, 22:02   Link #72
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I could argue that Clannad has too many culturally specific situations for subbing to express them correctly either.
Eh, make no mistake, I am not implying that subbing is perfect, either.

Although I certainly consider it better than dubbing in more ways than one, for reasons I don't think I need to explain.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-28, 01:51   Link #73
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd point out that Old Southern was considered high class at one point, taking its cues from England. (Think Scarlet O'Hara)
Old 2009-05-28, 03:34   Link #74
kyosak
poo

That's too bad... I'm fairly certain a dub of Kotomi would have been hilarious, lol.
Old 2009-05-28, 03:48   Link #75
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
That's too bad... I'm fairly certain a dub of Kotomi would have been hilarious, lol.
It largely depends on whether or not they try to imitate Mamiko Noto's distinct vocal patterns.

This tends to backfire.
Old 2009-11-04, 22:08   Link #76
Hellwyrm
Twilight Rose

Clannad Sub or Dub

Unlike Tak, I have a bit of a bias toward Dubbed anime.
I still think that a dub should be made for Clannad as it was great series. With the loss of ADV, hopefully FUNimation will pick it up and dub it.

I mean America doesn't have Rugby (at least not as prominent as my country), I'm from New Zealand so Rugby is a huge part of our culture, the All Blacks being our National Team. So I'd hate to see the american dub call it American Football or even soccer.

I'm just knit-picking though. I like dubbed anime because it's my native language, naturally, and because I pick emotions alot better in English than Japanese, as I'm not quite familiar with Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I've watched many subbed anime series, I just prefer the dubs.

Given, The Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Baccano Dubs raped the Japanese Raw/Sub series in my opinion. Well i'd hope everyone would agree with me atleast with regards to Cowboy Bebop and Baccano, NGE I can sort of understand a Japanese preference as Asuka's english voice made me angry. =P
Old 2009-11-04, 22:36   Link #77
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyrm View Post
Unlike Tak, I have a bit of a bias toward Dubbed anime.
I still think that a dub should be made for Clannad as it was great series. With the loss of ADV, hopefully FUNimation will pick it up and dub it.

I mean America doesn't have Rugby (at least not as prominent as my country), I'm from New Zealand so Rugby is a huge part of our culture, the All Blacks being our National Team. So I'd hate to see the american dub call it American Football or even soccer.

I'm just knit-picking though. I like dubbed anime because it's my native language, naturally, and because I pick emotions alot better in English than Japanese, as I'm not quite familiar with Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I've watched many subbed anime series, I just prefer the dubs.

Given, The Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Baccano Dubs raped the Japanese Raw/Sub series in my opinion. Well i'd hope everyone would agree with me atleast with regards to Cowboy Bebop and Baccano, NGE I can sort of understand a Japanese preference as Asuka's english voice made me angry. =P
Of course, a sub would have been great to catch the attention of those that don't normally watch subbed animes (generally speaking.) The only problem I would see with a dub is that there is a thin amount of good voice actors out there that normally do anime's and such, so I have a hard time imagining Clannad being successfully dubbed well especially considering the emotional level of this particular series.

One of the strong points about this series was the voice acting and if they were going to dub it, I would prefer them doing a good job or not doing it at all. Still, I can understand the desire to have it dubbed but personally, I'm glad they didn't.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-05, 03:46   Link #78
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Personally, I prefer subs all the way as most dubs are just assaults on my ear. But occasional I come across a decent dub that may not be as good as the original but still manages to capture the spirit of the series; that would be nice if they could do it for Clannad, but I don't really see it happening.

Duplicating Kotomi's voice would probably require use of a few illicit substances.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-11-05, 04:25   Link #79
gaffer7

Sigh, I was kind of looking forward to hearing a Clannad dub even if it was bound to be far inferior to the subbed version, just to see how they did it. Oh well, never mind, it may have just ended up being death to my ears anyway.
Old 2009-11-05, 06:17   Link #80
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyrm View Post
With the loss of ADV, hopefully FUNimation will pick it up and dub it.
ADV never held the license they just acted as the middle man dealing with disc pressing and distribution (and other leg work) since sentai filmworks was (and still is) the license holder (also funimation has access to ADVs stable of VAs so the dub might still have been garbage unless they decided to ask the fans who would've been suited for each character).
Closed Thread