AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-02-17, 04:21   Link #1
mahtsae

Partial download playback

Hello everybody,

I am extremely new to Bit Torrent i should explain first, so please forgive this rather ignorant question....

I am currently downloading an Anime Series in Full, so the torrent is episodes 1-26 for example. So i have downloaded the first 3 or 4 episodes, but i cannot play them....Is this because the full series (torrent/download) must be completed before i can view any episodes ? I do not have problems with any other completed Torrent/Video/Single Episodes so far (Bleach is amazing fun btw ) so can i assume i must finish downloading a Complete Series? 6Gb or more before i can watch it? im not complaining at all, im happy to wait to be able to watch them....thats not a problem I just dont want to download the whole lot to find out i can't watch them, but i hope someone can help me out

Many thanks
Old 2006-02-17, 05:09   Link #2
IMSabbel

Well.
IF the first episodes are completed, you should be able to play them.

But normally, if you download a batch torrent, it will normally randomly download parts out of order, meaning that if you have 50% finished, it doesnt mean the first half of the episodes is done.

Some clients allow priority settings, which you could use to download the early episodes first.
Old 2006-02-17, 05:29   Link #3
mahtsae

thankyou so much for that information i didn't know that was the case.

Though now i am a little confused because the few episodes at the beginning of the batch that i have supposedly downloaded appear to be completed as they say 175mb etc and match up to the size in the file list....

Just so i understand...Does this mean that those first episodes are not complete ?even though they read as 175mb .... or is the data somehow spread about without being able to see it ?

so sorry for the stupid questions
Old 2006-02-17, 05:51   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Yes, the data is still spread out. If you have a more advanced client such as Azureus, you can actually see where your downloaded data is, in the files tab of the torrent detail view.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-02-17, 05:59   Link #5
mahtsae

hey thankyou loads

Azureus here i come
Old 2006-02-17, 11:11   Link #6
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
Most bittorrent clients tend to preallocate diskspace. Even if it says it's 175mb, it could be just 256kb. Also, if it's being downloaded to, it may lock the file. That's rarely a problem it the file is done though(hence no new data is being written).

Indeed, find out if the files are done using the methods already mentioned.

Also, VLC player will play anything, even if it's unfinished and being written to. That's its speciality.
Old 2006-02-17, 13:48   Link #7
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
www.utorrent.com

Its just like Azureus but alot smaller and not as much as a memory hog.
Old 2006-02-17, 17:20   Link #8
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtsae
Just so i understand...Does this mean that those first episodes are not complete ?even though they read as 175mb .... or is the data somehow spread about without being able to see it ?

so sorry for the stupid questions
No sweat, it's not a crime to ask such questions. Everyone before pretty much answered the question, especially IMSabbel's last sentence:
Quote:
Some clients allow priority settings, which you could use to download the early episodes first.
& unless it says an individual file is 100% complete, you may encounter choppy playback or none at all. Put higher priority for files you want completed first.
Old 2006-02-18, 03:49   Link #9
mahtsae

thankyou everyone for your kind information

ch-ching
Old 2006-03-14, 08:27   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Also, with Azureus, you can choose which files to download by setting the others to "Do Not Download". It's pretty useful when you can only find batch torrents for series you already partially have.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-14, 21:48   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

If you use good torrent clients like Bit Comet (my pick) you can choose which ep you want to dwnld out 26 files .To veiw Partially dwnlded files use VLC player