AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 139 38.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 100 27.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 75 20.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 7.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.27%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.55%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-08, 12:39   Link #301
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
"Damned Rugby players...."
"They won't hear you if you're that quiet.
DAMNED RUGBY PLAYERS!!"
"Eeee!"

One of my favorite parts. The Tomoya/Sunohara interaction was, in my opinion, very amusing. Aside from that, I also enjoyed the Kyou/Ryou/Tomoya interaction scene.

Just wanted to post that quote.
Haha yeah, this made me laugh, really funny part, good to see the show has nice comedy in it which i'm pleased about
Old 2007-10-08, 13:25   Link #302
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l View Post
Ugh... I'm feeling depressed for some reason.

I watched the first episode of Clannad 2 days ago, and thought it was a great start to the series, giving it a 9/10. Then today (or rather yesterday), when my cousins came over, I decided to show them Clannad and how amazing it was. And you know what they said after seeing the intro scene with Tomoya and Nagisa? It seems like a typical anime. O_O. That didn't bother me much, but I did wonder why they thought it was typical. Didn't have a chance to ask, but they seemed interested in it though. I didn't show them it all yet though, because during the OP I remembered that Clanand is not a show that is meant to be watched with a group of people, but rather by yourself (Plus we had to eat).

And now I CAN'T SLEEP. This is really bad for one's health -_-. I never felt like this earlier. I guess my growing curiosity is making me insane. But to be more on topic, do any of you guys have any idea why they might think it's a typical anime (they're not all boys, some girls too).
If you really want them to get interested, try working on getting them to appreciate the show from different angles. It's worked for me in getting multiple people to become Gundam fans. That said though, I don't think the first episode is going to be much of a hook for anyone not already interested in the series. Maybe try waiting for a pivotal episode to air before laying it on them again and trying to get them hooked. Give them some details about your high points for the series and most importantly, the key to catching peoples attention in media formats, approach them on their level. know their specific interests and try to find points for Clannad that would appeal to those interests. That's the advice I have to give.
Old 2007-10-08, 13:50   Link #303
takumi2k4

I'm not surprised that some people actually find Clannad as a typical anime, as believe it or not, it is.

The first episode is rather very common in many animes now, it provides some interesting details, but at the same time it's holding something back for the future, and I guess it's the standard nowadays. It's progression was really simple: Boy meets girl, then they become friends, and they take it from there.

Here's the main problem with it: Many of Clannad's viewers are either the game veterans, the KyoAni fanboys(no offense to any one here, as I fit in this category), and people who just jumped in because of the hype surrounding the series from the anime blogs and all that.

If Clannad was made by some unknown eroge company, and animated by another unknown company, then it would be really nothing. Actually, if it was made some unknown eroge company, we probably wouldn't be seeing an anime of it.

Well, at least that what I think of it. The only reason why I'm actually watching this is because it's from Key and animated by KyoAni.
Old 2007-10-08, 14:00   Link #304
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
I'm not surprised that some people actually find Clannad as a typical anime, as believe it or not, it is.
It is up to you to think it is a typical anime, but i don't see how you can claim "it is", as if you have the truth.
Such assumption is weird to me, because it is most likely a matter of tastes, and i personally don't see many things that common.
Quote:
The first episode is rather very common in many animes now, it provides some interesting details, but at the same time it's holding something back for the future, and I guess it's the standard nowadays. It's progression was really simple: Boy meets girl, then they become friends, and they take it from there.
you are quite generalizing the plot here...
But i don't see why an anime has to provide everything for the future you know. The episode actually has many foreshadowing and intriguing hints.
Quote:
Here's the main problem with it: Many of Clannad's viewers are either the game veterans, the KyoAni fanboys(no offense to any one here, as I fit in this category), and people who just jumped in because of the hype surrounding the series from the anime blogs and all that.
I don't see how it is a PROBLEM if people rate with their PERSONAL tastes and liking.
I mean, what is the deal with it? And no, i'm none of these points and i can clearly see how CLANNAD can make some people enthusiast.
That said, I don't see what is it that you can call "problem".

if anything, L*S ate much more of this syndrome than CLANNAD actually.
Quote:
If Clannad was made by some unknown eroge company, and animated by another unknown company, then it would be really nothing. Actually, if it was made some unknown eroge company, we probably wouldn't be seeing an anime of it.
Huh...? since when?
It is of course the fact that Key is behind CLANNAD that we got the anime, but i don't see how "unknown" can always mean to "nothing", considering we got many exceptions already. (meany eroge adaptions from the blue, and so forth)
Quote:
Well, at least that what I think of it. The only reason why I'm actually watching this is because it's from Key and animated by KyoAni.
it is quite ironic you talk about the "issue", while you are from that demography...
Old 2007-10-08, 15:41   Link #305
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Just a short question: How many here ONLY watched episode one of CLANNAD once?
Old 2007-10-08, 15:45   Link #306
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
I only watched it once.

I mean, if you don't count watching it over again while I played it for my sister... or watching selected scenes repeatedly... or watching through the whole thing but fast forwarding through certain parts to check things before posting on the forum. If you don't count any of that... yeah, once.
Old 2007-10-08, 16:14   Link #307
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
I've only seen it once so far...although there were a few scenes (like Tomoyo beating up the bikers) that I've rewound at least half a dozen times. But I will be watching it again soon, because my housemate really wants to see it too (he really enjoyed Kanon, which I just showed him last week).
Old 2007-10-08, 17:09   Link #308
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I can't see it being that many.

I like to rewatch the episode on a day like this --- that's in-between the last episode broadcast, and the next episode.
Old 2007-10-08, 18:06   Link #309
Chibi_Faerie
Challenging fate head on!

*Raises hand as she is among those who watched it multiple times* I heard about it back when Kanon 2006 was ending, and when I seen the anime had started I had to watch it. And I have to say the series has really grabbed me. I really enjoyed it and I've been wanting to see a series like this for awhile now. It made me smile, I really enjoyed it so much that I've watched it about 4 times now maybe...? I can't wait to see more and see how the story develops.
Old 2007-10-08, 18:43   Link #310
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Well..since i see the question of rewatching..I would like to brag about my accomplishment of watchin it 21 times ^_^ .Although I am sure there is someone out there who beat me in this too
Old 2007-10-08, 18:44   Link #311
amoirsp

Mirrinus, if I'm not mistaken, the first girl in Kanon was Nayuki in every spectrum. xD

I guess it's first girl emphasized ... yeah ... emphasized.

Cyber_Chaotic, since Tsundere is sort of an audience given description, if you feel that's the characterisation then that's what it would be to you. Kyou's air time was so small it's possible to get that idea, and it's not inaccurate either. Of course, albeit playing the game, I have no idea how Kyoani will use her in the future (in terms of imminent, well, the impression should likely be consistent, and her air time in next week I anticipate is much greater as the first episode hardly used her at all). Now I don't know if you meant future as in near next episodes, or come drama time.

Spoiler:

Oh well, I suppose the chronology won't matter. Since Kyoani is using this strange (or normal) imminent effect + flashback/reiteration (not really since it didn't happen prior, but rather input something that just happened after it happened), then it can ignore the time premises as it can ... go backwards. ... nevermind.

And yes I've seen clannad at least twice. Once was the raw, one was one fansub. The other ones I skimmed, but I wanted to eventually see them all to see how each approached the same lines, since they'll indefinitely be different. Now this is only to improve my own perception that if I see a similar line, that perhaps I may not have thought of in an approach to decide how to interpret a line, so it's not intended comparison.

... now that since 16:9 is expected to come three (er two) weeks later, I'll hold off watching it all the way from beginning to end of episode and save it for when 16:9 occurs, then it'll be a little more efficient.

In terms of repetition of select few scenes, I don't know how many times I've done that. Of course the sequences I play are all shorter (and no surprised it's the faster paced ones).

Well, no surprise Kyoani would use the characters that are more prone to attention get first (probably the fast pace with "action"). Then again the ones that haven't aired aren't any worse. (Though I still find the ordering really odd).

Spoiler:

Now based on previews or what not, the meetings with each of the girls appear independent. It might be an interesting feature, or simply not enough is shown into the preview to actually define it.

So despite playing the game, the overall idea is definitely there, but how it will be portrayed and executed (like when and how. In terms of who and what, it's self explanatory ... and where too. Why, I don't know.) is quite a wonder.

Well in terms of scene components, can't complain about accuracy. It's there all right. Anything missing is likely a truncation of something minour, or aired later. I tend to forget a lot happens in the game, and that despite "only" 24 episodes supposedly, there's a lot that can and likely will occur. (On the other hand the dramatic parts would be slower, but how slow can it get? Maybe introductions would run faster than Kanon did and jump into a route by like episode 5 or 6, oh that will be fast indeed.)

I suppose it's bad to keep looking at Clannad and comparing to previous works Kyoani did on KEY games. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if the equation used to execute and air it are highly similar to the other two, but since the two are different in contrast, it could go either way or be some kind of mix, and if that resolution (wrong word) runs right, then Clannad would be just fine (or maybe it'll be fine anyways because the animation and accuracy will already be there. A distaste will likely derive from a mismatch of preference.).

Now the foreshadowing execution was good. I tend to forget that.
Old 2007-10-08, 18:53   Link #312
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l View Post
And now I CAN'T SLEEP. This is really bad for one's health -_-. I never felt like this earlier. I guess my growing curiosity is making me insane. But to be more on topic, do any of you guys have any idea why they might think it's a typical anime (they're not all boys, some girls too).
Well, imagine if you never watched Kanon or Air, knew nothing about Kyoani or Key, and had no expectations going into the first ep of Clannad. You'd probably be impressed with the animation, but you'd also probably think "wow, another anime with a high school boy surrounded by beautiful girls--and they've pretty much given away he'll end up with the one who talks to herself already."

I know enough about Clannad to know there's a lot more to it than that--but just based on the first episode alone, they're probably just assuming it'll go with a conventional plot. It probably doesn't help that so many characters got introduced all at once, since it makes it harder for them to really make an impression. I think later on once the plot kicks into high gear is when they're more likely to be impressed and see where it's different from a 'typical' series.

Quote:
I did really like the first episode, but I've only watched it once so far--the only reason is I really want to watch this in 16:9 and not 4:3, so I'm trying to marshal the willpower to wait three weeks for the widescreen version to air, and then stick with that. We'll see if I'm successful or not, though...
Old 2007-10-08, 20:41   Link #313
Boxy-
Haruhi-ist

Hi guys, longtime lurker coming out of lurk mode for a little while.

I really enjoyed the first episode, i wasnt expecting all that much when i started to be honest so im plesently suprised. I havnt played the game or anything either so its all new to me. Hopefully by the time the anime is done the game will be translated and i can have a go at that as well.
Old 2007-10-08, 20:56   Link #314
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
Mirrinus, if I'm not mistaken, the first girl in Kanon was Nayuki in every spectrum.
It states in that article that the Unlucky Childhood Friend (or relative in this case) is the primary exception to the trope.
Old 2007-10-08, 22:21   Link #315
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I *rarely* watch a single episode twice. It's either rewatching an entire series or watching a short scene from an episode, but I never re-watch an episode because it's so good or to get ready for the next episode. This is partially because I don't have enough time to do so, but also it's a respect thing that I can't explain. One of the episode that I've watched more than once that comes to mind is the first episode of Byousoku 5 Centimetre, partially because it was so beautiful, and partially because of the long wait. I watch certain scenes like scenes in episodes 2 and 14 of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien again, but not really an entire episode.

Even though I rated this episode 10/10, I can't bring myself to rewatch it.
Old 2007-10-08, 23:29   Link #316
amoirsp

Oops, I read the first portion of the article only. >_> Sorry about that, I didn't observe the full source.

Well, in clannad it's already too obvious who's for that category
Spoiler:

Thanks for that insight. The trend really, really needs to do something that's not quite so pattern recognisable (then again there was that list of trends in anime. oh well, if such indirect standards work, I suppose there isn't a need to mix it up.).

At this rate I might end up watching more raws for this series alone.

Last edited by amoirsp; 2007-10-08 at 23:31. Reason: rewording.
Old 2007-10-09, 01:31   Link #317
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
Mirrinus, if I'm not mistaken, the first girl in Kanon was Nayuki in every spectrum. xD

I guess it's first girl emphasized ... yeah ... emphasized.
Spoiler for kanon:
Old 2007-10-09, 02:55   Link #318
Kagami_

I liked the first episode. In my opinion, Tomoya is too good for Nagisa (shes cute sometimes but I dont like her hair!) I dont want him to end up with her.

Oh I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Kyou & Ryou Fujibayashi remind me of Kagami (both older one, long purple hair, bad-mouthed and aggressive) & Tsukasa Hiiragi (both have short purple hair, younger sibling/twin, shy type)

Op/soundtrack: Awesome
Ed theme: Um cute dangos.. lol
Old 2007-10-09, 03:29   Link #319
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I only watched it once.

I mean, if you don't count watching it over again while I played it for my sister... or watching selected scenes repeatedly... or watching through the whole thing but fast forwarding through certain parts to check things before posting on the forum. If you don't count any of that... yeah, once.
Rewatching scenes counts.
Old 2007-10-09, 04:45   Link #320
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I can say that for myself, watching this episode once was not enough to do it justice.

I actually was going to hold out and wait for the 16:9 version, but gave in and grabbed all versions available to watch. Once the 16:9's are out, you can bet I'll be doing the same again.
Closed Thread