Old 2008-02-28, 06:49   Link #22
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for :
Old 2008-02-28, 09:43   Link #23
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Iv heard good things about this episode but i heard it was heavy on the dialog so maybe i will wait for the subs.
Old 2008-02-28, 23:35   Link #24
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

BSS sub is out!

Old 2008-02-28, 23:46   Link #25
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Spice and Nora?

Not much to say about this episode. It was cute as always though.

The way Lawrence strings together sentences to provoke reactions from Horo is priceless.

Spoiler for Episode 9 - Nora:
Old 2008-02-29, 00:03   Link #26
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Horo is just too adorable.
Old 2008-02-29, 03:05   Link #27
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

nice episode, slow pace was fine. I wonder whats up with the armor. another conspiracy is in the works it seems!

Drunk horo is teh funnies.
Old 2008-02-29, 04:01   Link #28
thefinalrune

I just started watching this last night and after just finishing episode 9 I have to say this is easily my favorite anime in a long time. Something about how the character relations work out along with the setting and word play (which is odd to say given I'm watching subs) make this just too awesome for me. I can't wait till next week.
Old 2008-02-29, 04:03   Link #29
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Spoiler for Episode 9:
Old 2008-02-29, 07:54   Link #30
tabun
rawr!

What problems does Nora have with the townsfolk, I wonder, I wonder...

I like what I might mistake for jealousy in Horo's facial expression, it suits her well ^^ Also, the pinching scene was quite funny, let alone the usual bickering! After finishing the 12 episodes, I must somehow get my hands on the light novel and/or manga...
Old 2008-02-29, 08:23   Link #31
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

I'm guessing Nora has problems with the townfolk due to men(who were probably turned down by her) accusing her of being a witch which is probably a likely story for a number of witch sightings in Europe at the time.One would guess also that Lawrence is heading towards another financial disaster based on
Spoiler for Lawrence in episode 9:
Old 2008-02-29, 08:27   Link #32
Nailen
In Search of Adventure

Perfection

Can somebody tell me that the rumor that "Spice and Wolf" will last only 12 episodes is false? I can't nbelieve that such a wonderful show will have only 12 episodes. I just can't imagine my life without Horo and her unbelievable and literaly perfect expressions.
Old 2008-02-29, 13:59   Link #33
BigGimp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailen View Post
Can somebody tell me that the rumor that "Spice and Wolf" will last only 12 episodes is false? I can't nbelieve that such a wonderful show will have only 12 episodes. I just can't imagine my life without Horo and her unbelievable and literaly perfect expressions.
Its not a 'rumor'. The first season is only 12 episodes (13 if you count the DVD-only episode). There have been no announcements on whether or not the series will continue after this season.

On the Episode:
Love the playful banter between Horo and Lawrence.
Poor Lawrence tried to act cool and Horo laughed in his face... classic.

Can't wait to see what the deal is with Nora. The villagers are obviously avoiding her and she can somehow walk a road that Knights are afraid to travel on? That's interesting

Sounds like Lawrence could be in some trouble. Seems like is armor is defective or something.
Old 2008-02-29, 14:09   Link #34
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGimp77
Seems like is armor is defective or something.
Or that's what the evil doers want Lawrence to think.
Old 2008-02-29, 17:42   Link #35
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Life without Horo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And I was also irritated by Horo's behaviour. No doubt her coquettish ways may appeal to some men, but not to me. Jealous, possessive, willful and just a touch too egoistic for my liking. But then again, this is part of what makes her an above average character, so objectively speaking, I don't mind.
Since I'm not particularly interested in economic conspiracies, I wouldn't find much motivation to watch the show at all if Horo's personality was different. Although to be honest, it's nice to hear from someone that hasn't been entranced by her charm as it would seem most of the posters here (including myself to some extent) are.
Old 2008-02-29, 17:56   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I ended up grading the episode an "8" .... following reasons:
1) the animation was even poor by the average standards of the series (view the market dancers as example).
2) you could really tell they were brushing lightly over stuff that should have been much more in-depth --- the scene focus editing was very abrupt and just kind of random.
3) The fact the episode was setting up a LOT of questions just made it more random feeling.
(whats the shepherd girl's story?)
(is it normal to travel with someone for 2-4 days and never say a word to them? Horo and Nora ... of course we've seen a lot of women in the series silent and behind their man so that may be normal)
(why do the townspeople shun her? Why is the priest grim at her approach?)
(why are all the govt officials acting so odd at Lawrence's answers?)
(why do they act like the armor is cursed?)
(whats going on with the roads?)

This episode is probably the worst so far in terms of over-compaction of the story to fit the inadequate time budget. On the other hand, we did get an armful of the "Horo&Lawrence" comedy act with that flirty edginess. She still hasn't gotten her sweet treats.

They're trying to portray Horo as someone who's simultaneously a six hundred year old goddess, a young woman, and a wolf --- overlapping personality traits. They're doing a pretty fair job, so TinyRedLeaf's description of her is pretty apt. Makes for a very entertaining character. I'm also becoming quite fond of Lawrence -- the two of them complement each other.
Old 2008-02-29, 21:31   Link #37
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well it's not like Horo wanted attention from Nora and her dog. Keeping her distance was probably a good thing to do imo.

Also, all the other questions will prob be addressed next week. You can only get thru so much in an episode. This is an introductory episode.

Nora's prob done something bad in the past and no one is forgiving. You're in bad shape when even the Church is not happy to see you.
Old 2008-02-29, 22:47   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't doubt they'll be addressed... but setting so many up in a 25 minute episode leaves it feeling quite rushed. Basically I'm lamenting that they didn't greenlight 24 episodes to start with. The first adventure was about right (6 eps) but this novel contains a good bit more story so it would have been nice to get 8 episodes for it.

And most of us want more, right?
Old 2008-02-29, 23:13   Link #39
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I'm hoping that they will continue this show for another season because its a shame to see so much of it rushed.
Old 2008-03-01, 01:13   Link #40
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Heh, I kept expecting the shepherd to break out with "Okazaki-san!" at any given moment.

Yes, I'm with the rest to see another cour of this show.
Closed Thread