AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-11, 23:32   Link #1
gohmifune

What would make a good live action movie...

Ok, there are a lot of these coming out over the next few years. Devilman, Cutie Honey, Evangelion, Alita...and there have been alot in the past, G-Saviour, Fist of the North Star, Guyver.

My question is what would you think would be good on the silver screen.

I have lots, namely Airmaster, Macross, Gravion, Planetes, and of Gits. What are your thoughts?
Old 2004-03-12, 01:29   Link #2
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Tekken! I've always wanted to see a movie based on that game... the anime sucked ass... it would be nice to have a high budget cg film based on tekken... like advent children quality but with tekken characters...
Old 2004-03-12, 01:56   Link #3
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
DAMN... you nailed g.i.t.s before I did.
Old 2004-03-12, 02:46   Link #4
Strider_Lee
shinobi

hey, you forgot that there was a Dragon Ball movie too (cough... SUCKED cough...) and that they are working on Akira and Lupin III. There was also City Hunter (Jackie Chan), Fist of the North Star (sucked); and if rumors are true (but most likely not), there is an HK movie of Initial D in production.

Love to see a Read or Die, Gungrave, Area 88 (maybe, to replace/compete with "Top Gun" and "Iron Eagle"), G.I.T.S, Final Fantasy (that stays true to the franchise schema with the magic, swords, summons, etc., unlike that of "Spirits Within"), and maybe Witch Hunter Robin (although, there is the live-action tv series that will be/should be out).
Old 2004-03-12, 02:52   Link #5
Tenkoy
That is a secret.

Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
I think that Full Metal Panic would make a good live-action. Trigun would also be great as a live-action.
Old 2004-03-12, 07:39   Link #6
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Life Long Ambition is to make a Theatrical Live Action Adaptation of the Big O, a story based on both seasons with the elements of the Manga.
Old 2004-03-12, 07:51   Link #7
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohmifune
Ok, there are a lot of these coming out over the next few years. ... Evangelion, ...
My question is what would you think would be good on the silver screen.
I've heard some rumors, that the company which was responsible for the FX in LOTR will also be involved in the NGE project.
The result of a live action production is often ridiculous when compared to the anime. At least every live action I saw was trash (or should I say pulp?). For a LOTR quality like live action one would need to spend horendously much money in actors, staff, FX and hardware. Well I am willing to see something like that. But honestly... in general I don't like live action. When I imagine a release of the NGE movie, thats made as bad as the Sailor Moon live action...
Old 2004-03-12, 09:00   Link #8
Alfzilla
Was Here

Send a message via AIM to Alfzilla
It wont be anywhere near as bad as the Sailor moon live action for afew reasons such as its going to be a American made movie and with that probably comes a huge budget.
You can read about it at http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3606
Also if your not lazy you can go out and search the web for some sketches made for the movie that look really nice.
Old 2004-03-12, 10:19   Link #9
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfzilla
It wont be anywhere near as bad as the Sailor moon live action for afew reasons such as its going to be a American made movie and with that probably comes a huge budget.
You can read about it at http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3606
Also if your not lazy you can go out and search the web for some sketches made for the movie that look really nice.
Neither ADV nor GAINAX are known for any good live action movie. That does not necesarily mean the result will be bad... well I should wait for the release (ADV distributes some live action scifi operas... nevertheless I feel like I nurture false hopes). There is not only a need for much cash also for experienced RL actors and film staff.
And I might add... some sketches make me worried (edit: maybe I should specify this... the sketch from Asuka for example doesn't look like a 14 year old child at all...).

Last edited by Jinto; 2004-03-12 at 10:36.
Old 2004-03-12, 18:09   Link #10
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
Neither ADV nor GAINAX are known for any good live action movie. That does not necesarily mean the result will be bad... well I should wait for the release (ADV distributes some live action scifi operas... nevertheless I feel like I nurture false hopes). There is not only a need for much cash also for experienced RL actors and film staff.
And I might add... some sketches make me worried (edit: maybe I should specify this... the sketch from Asuka for example doesn't look like a 14 year old child at all...).
Alright, before we get into more discussion about the NGE movie, I would suggest reading this past forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=4985) since this has been discussed already.
Old 2004-03-12, 18:12   Link #11
daliinn

i would say, no anime should be made into a live action movie. there is just some things animated people can do for you that real people just can't
Old 2004-03-12, 23:29   Link #12
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Live Action and Animation are two completely different mediums, apples and oranges. There really is no comparison. Anime live action version of something that was originally animated is going to leave the majority of the original fanbase feeling let down, at best usually.

No actor can replace an animated character. That character's looks are firmly set in the world of the cartoon, you can try to emulate it, but you will have to make some changes, or the result will turn out like a bad cosplay, or like the live action Street Fighter movie. You will have to make changes to make the live action version look like a live character, and not someone dressed up like a cartoon character. Also, animated characters usually have a voice. It would take a miracle to find a live actor that has the right looks AND the right voice to pull off an already established character. In the end, no matter how hard you try, there will be quirks missing from the live actor's performance. It is very much like having a tv series with set characters, then replacing the actors playing those roles at some point in the series, except taking to an even more extreme level. Many fans just will not approve. Others may not neccessarily dissaprove, but will see the two as seperate characters that happen to share the same name and similar stories.

Live action also cannot replace animation as a medium. There are things that can be done easily in animation that just cannot be done at all in live action. Just as there are things in live action that animation cannot do, and many things in CG that can't be done in other mediums, and so forth. They are different and seperate, and in the end you just cannot please anyone.

Also, a movie length feature is no replacement for a full blown television series. You will always have to sacrifice a lot for time. You cannot tell the same kind of story in an hour and a half film, that you could in even one season of an ongoing series.

So, in conclusion, you can take any concept and try and work it into any medium. Some mediums will work better than others for a given subject. If something is released in one medium, gathers a following, and then has the same premise taken to another medium...a lot of the original fanbase will be dissapointed or worse, though the alternate medium will often gain fans of it's own.

The end result depends on how much respect is given to that original premise in the translation, how much effort is put into the new version, and whether or not the company making it is actually trying to make something good, or just leech an idea that has proven successful in other mediums, without straining itself at all.

In my experience, anything arbitrarily taken and tossed into an alternate medium for the heck of it does not turn out well. Jacky Chan has some great movies, I can't stand to sit through an episode of his cartoon series. GTO is a great anime, I'm not overly fond of the live action version, though.Many fans of the Tank Girl comics were not pleased with the movie. Many long time X-Men fans felt dissapointed at the X-Men movies, while many casual fans and those who where not fans at all, loved the movies.

So it goes.
Old 2004-03-13, 02:23   Link #13
fuzzielitlpanda

dragon ball movie? where?
Old 2004-03-13, 04:30   Link #14
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Realistically I think something like Hajime no Ippo could be made into a decent/good movie. But something like Naruto, NGE, Trigun would be a lot harder and would most likely just end up pissing people off.
Old 2004-03-13, 04:47   Link #15
Alfzilla
Was Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Realistically I think something like Hajime no Ippo could be made into a decent/good movie. But something like Naruto, NGE, Trigun would be a lot harder and would most likely just end up pissing people off.
Actualy if done correct they would only piss off Anime fans but be big hits with the rest of the public.
Old 2004-03-13, 06:09   Link #16
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Might be very objectionable, but Gunslinger Girl live action movie is possible.
Old 2004-03-13, 07:53   Link #17
u&t

Sports anime/manga in general should make into ok conversions. Remember Ping Pong? That was a great movie.

Many directors are influenced by anime nowadays (Ryuhei Kitamura, Takeshi Miike, Guillermo del Toro etc...). I really don't care what a movie is based upon as long as they manage to capture the "feel" of anime.

I am looking forward to Hellboy. That one will hopefully do it event though it is not directly related to any anime or manga.
Old 2004-03-13, 08:01   Link #18
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Initial D !!! That would be great. And I agree with whoever said that about Naruto. These are just too unrealistic and NO ONE will ever want to see kiddie ninjas jumping around in forests from tree to tree.;P
NGE, hhmm..It's most likely going to get star trek'ish or something really geeky looking. This might be very wrong since I don't watch star trek. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Trigun would be 'doable' , but very hard!

So I still rest at Initial D being able to get very interesting, and not too hard to make.
Old 2004-03-13, 08:22   Link #19
Alfzilla
Was Here

There is not much info out on the Initial D live action movie yet but it should have begun filming this month. And should be coming out probably at the end of this year.
Old 2004-03-13, 08:54   Link #20
u&t

And with Tsui Hark directing that movie it shouldn't suck. Anyone seen Xanda? Was it good?

Edit:
Seems like Tsui hark is not going to direct due to some artistical and economical issues. The movie is going to be directed by the same guys that did Infernal affairs instead. The action and pacing in that movie sucked. Initial D is going to suck major ass then.

Last edited by u&t; 2004-03-13 at 09:08.
Closed Thread