AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-11-27, 07:49   Link #1
ryomakun

Will adding another ram slows down my current setup

I have a dual mode ram 512 x 2, my concern is if I will add a new stick (only 1) will that result to slower memory access and what if the timing of this new stick is different from the previous two.
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 15:36   Link #2
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

The computer will run at the slowest timing available. So, if you don't have a pair, yeah, it will slow your PC down. If the new RAM you're adding is slower than your existing RAM, yes, you'll slow it down.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 16:00   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Seen from the point of operating stability, I would not advice to use RAMs that use different timings. Often that means loss in operating stability.
Old 2006-11-29, 19:20   Link #4
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
the timings as a whole will be affected because all the sticks will throttle down to the speed of the slowest stick in the group.

the main thing you will see performance hit from is the fact that you were running dual channel and if you just have 1 stick in there it will run in single channel mode.... so basically your halving your memory speed... which isnt always a good idea.

your best option is to buy another stick so you have an even 4 sticks of ram and use those. the timings by all means isnt going to degrade performance that much.. maybe like 5 to 10 percent depending how bad the timings are.
using 4 sticks though will degrade your system by around 10%... just because the amount of processing that has to be done to maintain links and data to 4 different links is time and cpu consuming.

you ABSOLUTE and BEST option if you have enough cash and are willing is to buy 2 sticks of 1024. those will give you the best performance increase but will cost a premium...

depending on what type of ram you have (DDR1 or DDR2) you can pick up a set(2x1024) for anywhere around 200 to 300...

hope that helps.
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote