Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-11-21, 14:14   Link #1
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
My computer is screwed...

Today I was playing Neverwinter Nights. I was having a pretty good time, until my fan started making ALOT of sound (it could be heard through the whole apartment), so I turned off my computer. 20 minutes later I start up the computer to check if it's alright. It starts up normally... everything seems fine, except one thing. My internet connection is busted. So I go away for about an hour, and when I come back home my brother tells me the CD drive won't eject. I went to try it, and he is indeed correct. It sounds like it's trying to eject, but it doesn't move AT ALL.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Is there any way to fix this except buying a whole new computer?
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 14:24   Link #2
ImClueless
Rawr

Do you know which fan was making the noise in the computer? Also have you tried the manual eject by sticking a paperclip into that little hole? Is the internet fixed now?
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 14:26   Link #3
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

I don't know which fan is was, but whichever one it was is working just fine now. I don't really know what "little hole" you're talking about. And no, the internet is not fixed. I'm on my brother's computer. We're sharing a connection, which prooves that the problem is with my computer, not the connection or modem.
Old 2006-11-21, 14:30   Link #4
ImClueless
Rawr

CD drives always have a little hole on the front usually below the tray. It is manual eject and you can make you drive tray pop out by poking a paper clip into that hole. Also is your internet connection connected by way of a NIC or a onboard LAN?
Old 2006-11-21, 14:38   Link #5
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

I tried the manual eject. Didn't work.
My internet connection just goes like... A cable going directly into the modem.
Old 2006-11-21, 14:43   Link #6
ImClueless
Rawr

If you are on high speed, there should be another cable going from your modem, be it cable or dsl, into your computer. What I am asking is whether or not that cable connects to a LAN card or a LAN port that is already on you motherboard.

Also the manual eject is a lever not a button so you have to apply a little bit of force. The tray should only pop out a little bit since its a lever and not the motors that move it.
Old 2006-11-21, 14:52   Link #7
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

It connects into a port on my motherboard. I'll keep trying the manual eject thing.

[Edit]
Managed to get it open... Aparently, the CD inside had blown to pieces. This has happened before on another computer of mine...
Old 2006-11-21, 15:36   Link #8
ImClueless
Rawr

So is your CD drive fixed now? As for you internet connection, Im not sure since it is difficult to tell whether it is a hardware or software problem. Worst case scenario would be that the LAN component on your motherboard died. If that is the case then you can get a lan card which are generally pretty cheap.
Old 2006-11-21, 15:38   Link #9
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Yeah, the CD drive is fixed... After me opening the damn thing up and clearing it of CD pieces.
I guess I'll have to buy a new LAN card then. Unless the problem fixes itself, which seems to happen alot with all computers I've had.
Old 2006-11-21, 16:19   Link #10
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

smells like unstable power (overloaded), I just don't know the cause.
Old 2006-11-23, 09:22   Link #11
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Wohoo, I fixed the problem. Apparently, the internet problem had nothing to do with this little "explosion". It appears that Tweak-XP had turned off some internet vital service, so my internet connection wasn't working. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 2006-11-29, 19:48   Link #12
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
btw the whole really loud sound thing was caused by your cdrom...

normally music from a game playing and the such is read from the cdrom to save the hds from doing all the work.

i had the same issue once.. my diablo2 disc shattered while i was playing and the sound wet balistic.. had to take my cdrom apart and clean it out... might wanna do the same cause when the disc shatters there are sometimes really small pieces.... which in the end might kill another cd or the drive itself.
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 07:22   Link #13
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

I did open it up and "clean" it. This has happened to me before too, with my Red Alert 2 CDs. Yeah, both of them.
Old 2006-12-01, 07:35   Link #14
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Wow, maybe it rotates the discs too fast.
Old 2006-12-01, 11:57   Link #15
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

It only seems to happen with old CDs, so I think that they're just getting too old and scratched