Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-26, 21:15   Link #1
garygao12345
noooooooob

Anime like Trigun

whats a good one? . i know theres cowboy bebop.
whats a good one that has comedy in it.
Old 2004-04-26, 21:26   Link #2
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

hmm you seem to look for something a little too "Trigun specific" nothing like that exist IMO Trigun is realy one of a kind. I think anime from that time are all particular ^^

Anime about the main man character with guns? yeah I know some. But I'd suggest any action-comedy on animesuki's links or for you to specify what your after. Or maybe your just lookin for shonen..

Theres too many or too less that would mean your request for a suggestion.
Old 2004-04-28, 10:57   Link #3
Jesushalero
Landmindmaster

Send a message via AIM to Jesushalero
I just started watching Gungrave myself and it appears to be in the same genre as Trigun and Bebop. It about another inhuman gun user and his story of why he is always so sad:P
Old 2004-04-29, 06:01   Link #4
moneylee

dude, dont believe what those people say, they will tell u to download some g@y anime, they say it has action, but all it has is gurls, and boyz cry, and fighting stupid..
Old 2004-04-29, 11:38   Link #5
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylee
dude, dont believe what those people say, they will tell u to download some g@y anime, they say it has action, but all it has is gurls, and boyz cry, and fighting stupid..
You are a moron, Gungrave is the best anime of last year.
Old 2004-04-29, 12:56   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
You are a moron, Gungrave is the best anime of last year.
That's a matter of opinion.

Gungrave is nothing like Trigun. If you're going to claim that both have non-human/inhuman characters, then you might as well suggest Hellsing. However, Trigun being a Sci-Fi Western series, Leiji Matsumoto's Gun Frontier would be the closest thing I can suggest. It, unlike previous suggestions, is atleast a Western that provides the back story to some of the greatest Sci-Fi series ever.

http://www.leiji-matsumoto.ne.jp/gunfrontier/top.html

The series is based on the back history between Toichiro and Harlock's ancestors from Leiji's Harlock series. Explaining it all would take far more time than I have in a day and would require spoilers for several complete series and movies. However, the series is still able to stand on it's own without any knowledge of the rest of the Leiji-verse.

The story ostensibly concerns Toichiro and Harlock's search for a group of Japanese immigrants in a very Japanese take on the Old West. What really makes this series interesting is that the hero is not Harlock, but Toichiro. A Japanese samurai, Toichiro (who seems to get shot in every episode) swings his katana and cuts a swath through the wild West like Miyamoto Musashi. Meanwhile Harlock - one of the greatest characters in the history of manga/anime - hangs back and plays the sidekick!

There's lots of Matsumotoesque talk about real men weeping copious tears, lots of fanservice nudity, plenty of action, and something rare in a Matsumoto story - comedy. For example, when Toichiro spots a woman in the first episode Harlock, without even looking, asks: "Is she pretty? Is she naked?"

Some knowledge from or experience with Arcadia of My Youth wouldn't hurt but isn't entirely needed.

[EDIT:] I forgot to mention that the series is licensed by Media Blasters. Enjoy.
Old 2004-04-29, 14:57   Link #7
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I found GunGrave similar to Trigun in a few non-plot/character ways, that is, music (same composer) and episode preview style, and in fact there's a tribute to Trigun in one of the episodes. Still, it was an amazing series and am sad to see it over... definitely one of the top five of 2003. Can't wait for the R1 DVDs.
Old 2004-05-27, 05:59   Link #8
Ookami
Kuroi Kenshin

Send a message via ICQ to Ookami
Rurouni Kenshin is the same as Trigun, the only difference is the kenshin has a sword instead of a gun.
Old 2004-05-27, 08:11   Link #9
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookami
Rurouni Kenshin is the same as Trigun, the only difference is the kenshin has a sword instead of a gun.
Exactly what I was going to say, Kenshin is definetly the closest resemblance to the story in Trigun. Different setting but same feel. Switches back and forth between action and comedy and keeps a decent balance between the two. The heroes themselves are really similar, both hide their true skills and try to live a care free life but keep getting dragged into fights because of their pasts. Gungrave really only shares character designs with trigun, the story is way different.
Old 2004-05-27, 08:53   Link #10
wazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Exactly what I was going to say, Kenshin is definetly the closest resemblance to the story in Trigun. Different setting but same feel. Switches back and forth between action and comedy and keeps a decent balance between the two. The heroes themselves are really similar, both hide their true skills and try to live a care free life but keep getting dragged into fights because of their pasts. Gungrave really only shares character designs with trigun, the story is way different.
is kenshin still releasing?????
Old 2004-05-27, 08:53   Link #11
wazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
is kenshin still releasing????? if not then how many total eps are there?? is it as short as trigun ???

Also, is coyboy bepop any good????? ( does it have comedy + action ) ?

thanks
Old 2004-05-27, 09:47   Link #12
Eva_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzup
is kenshin still releasing????? if not then how many total eps are there?? is it as short as trigun ???

Also, is coyboy bepop any good????? ( does it have comedy + action ) ?

thanks
Cowboy Bebop is great to watch, Its better than Trigun, but if you liked Trigun then you will definately like Cowboy Bebop. ANotehr series, my second fav. is called "berserk", no matter who you are, you'll love this series more than anything. I'm sure people who have seen it agree..!
Old 2004-05-27, 12:51   Link #13
wazzup

hmmmmm i heard berserk was too bloody with no comedy ..... i dont mind the blood but i need some comedy to like lighten the mood ...

Which group fansubs Cowboy Bebop??

thanks
Old 2004-05-27, 12:57   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I'll answer a couple of your questions..

Kenshin is 92 episodes, 2 OVAs and 1 Movie long. All of it licensed and available on DVD. Cowboy Bebop is 26 episodes long and is also licensed and completely out on DVD.

Buy the DVDs.
Old 2004-05-27, 13:02   Link #15
wazzup

no anime dvds available where i live .....
Old 2004-05-27, 13:08   Link #16
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

The topic creator may also want to try City Hunter. It is also a comedy where the main character is a really good gunman. It is in modern times though.
One Piece is also a good action, comedy.
Ranma is my all time favorite hybrid buster. I recommend it to everybody because it has everything.

Last edited by SwiftStar; 2004-05-27 at 13:36.
Old 2004-05-27, 13:26   Link #17
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
You can always import the DVDs... The rest of us do it. >.>;
Old 2004-05-27, 14:28   Link #18
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygao12345
if by trigun you mean the guns, then hellsing and gungrave are similar. For the story, the only one I can think of is kenshin since he also has thing obsession with no killing anyone.
Old 2004-05-27, 17:18   Link #19
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygao12345
This is a rather bland question, there is not exactly enough info besides the fact that you like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop because they both have comedy in it. Are you looking for just comedy, gunfighting action with comedy, and so forth.

From what I can see with the similarities with the two series you mentioned, it seems like you are going for the future/cowboy-gunfighter genre that also has comedy in it. Well, besides Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, you might want to go with the other of the three of the popular future/cowboy series that was released in Japan in 1998... Outlaw Star.

Quote:
Order from online from eBay or on online stores like Best Buy, amazon, Buy.com, discountanimedvd, etc., etc., etc., and so forth (just do a search on yahoo or google for anime dvds or anime dvd stores).
Old 2010-09-01, 23:08   Link #20
KaAttaKilla

Trigunish

LOL@ me posting a reply to a 6yr old post >.< its what i do...

but seriously, noone mentioned trinity blood?!?!?

it has the most trigun-ish feeling that i've encountered in an anime so far.

perhaps trinity blood didnt exist in 2004? dunno.. but since I found this via google trying to find a new anime to watch w/ a trigun feel. It should be added for people who might encounter this like I did.

trigun-ish should totally be added to the dictionary....
Closed Thread