AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-05-10, 23:10   Link #1
ceez

formatting

im on winxp and i wanted to format my computer so i can make my computer winME but i dont know how so if there is a way to explain how to format please help but if there isnt then it oks thanks in advance
ceez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 23:37   Link #2
chaoz
I see all and pwn all

Ok, first why would you want to go from XP to ME? ME is filled with glitches and bugs, and shouldn't even have been released.

But if you want to reformat, your computer should come with a disc that lets your reformat the comp.

I'm not sure if you can actually degrade the OS though.
chaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 23:50   Link #3
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Actually to format you can just go to the dos prompt, and type in format, or go to my computer and right click on C drive and choose format. ( I haven't moved up to a XP machine yet, so I'm not sure if this changed on XP or not)

Either way it will completely erase the hard drive allowing for the installation of the new OS, the only thing I can think of for a problem would be drivers. But then again I'm no expert.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 01:00   Link #4
ceez

alrights thanks
Old 2004-05-11, 02:37   Link #5
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
go to my computer and right click on C drive and choose format.
Windows will not allow you to format a system partition that is in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
Actually to format you can just go to the dos prompt, and type in format
Getting to a DOS prompt on 32 bit Windows isn't a walk in the park. If you wanted to use DOS to format a drive, you'd need to use a Windows 95, 98, or ME Boot Disk. You can get one of these from the internet.

The easiest way to format your hard drive for installation is to insert the CD-Rom and boot to it. You'll need to change your BIOS's Boot order to boot from the CD. Put the Windows ME CD into your CD drive and start the computer. Enter the BIOS Setup (usually by mashing F1, F8, F12, Del, or Esc) while the computer is first starting up. Change the Boot Order so the CD-ROM Drive is the first device, and make the Hard Drive lower in the list. Exit and Save Changes in the BIOS Setup (the computer will restart). A message may appear asking you to "Press Any Key to Boot from the CD..."; obviously you shoud press a key. Follow the on screen instructions, and when Windows asks where to install, choose the Create New Partition Option. Delete your old partition, and the Setup Utility will automatically format the hard disk.

Good Luck

Last edited by KeinikuSuki; 2004-05-11 at 02:39. Reason: Edited for clarity.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 04:42   Link #6
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
For boot disks, go to www.bootdisk.com

You can follow KeinikuSuki's instructions but the very last part is not typical of WinME or any older OS cd's, only XP, NT, and 2K.

The easiest way to format a hard drive is to get any boot disk from above link (I recommend the Win98 ones) and boot off it. When you get to a dos prompt, type "format c:" without the quotes. It'll ask if you're sure so hit the "Y" key. It'll take awhile to format if you got a large drive so you can skip that step and type "format c: /q" without the quotes again. It will do a quick format in about 5 or 10 seconds.

Ok, now, WHY would you move from XP to ME? I'd rather move to Win98se than ME. ME is really slow and buggy, trying to act as an "inbetween" for 98 and Win2K. I'd stay away from that OS if I were you. Also, I believe Microsoft doesn't support WinME anymore. I'm not sure on that but I believe every 3rd OS that Microsoft has released in the past is "unsupported". When they release another OS, then Win2K will stop being supported.

Think About It !!!!
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 04:56   Link #7
ceez

so its better for me to go from XP to WIN98 than XP to WINME ?
Old 2004-05-11, 05:06   Link #8
ceez

i was wondering if it is possible to format and keep XP without the XP disc ?
Old 2004-05-11, 23:40   Link #9
brood-faun

If Xp is installed on the drive that you're planning to format, then Xp goes with it. It's never a good idea to install an OS but not having the cd for it in case if you need to repair or re-install or install needed components.

I am also wondering why you do you want to degrade? The only reason you should degrade if your computer is a low end computer like a p2. Winxp has compability mode which let you run win98 or winme or win2000 based softwares and games. Another thing is you have to two windows OS installed (dual boot).
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 00:36   Link #10
LynnieS

Removed post.

Last edited by LynnieS; 2004-05-12 at 00:37. Reason: brood-faun beat me to it
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 00:53   Link #11
Shadowlord
~DESU

there are many ways of formatting your computer, and many different security levels. ill assume you dont need security against the NSA, so ill skip how to do that format. Ill give you 2 options on doing this.

a. make sure you have a win98 boot disk. at startup place the disk in the drive and wait until it boots the drivers. then you should get some options. at the bottom of the screen there should be an option along the lines of "command prompt" i think it is SHIFT + F5. when the drivers are further loaded, you should get a satus prompt such as

C:\

then type

format (your hardrive letter you want erased):

as EXAMPLE ill use this

C:\format C:

or to ensure that everything is erased type

format (your hardrive letter you want erased): /u

as an EXAPMLE ill use this

C:\format C: /u

what this does is an unconditional format, in which absolutely nothing is left behind, and the chances of recovering the information is lower than that of a standard format.

b. this option may be easier for many, download (it is FREE software and therefor not illegal) Ultimate Boot CD. It can be found at

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

NOTE: your computer must support booting from a cd.

Then get a blank cd and burn the program as an IMAGE on to the cd.

(i wont go over on how to do that because each program does it a different way) but i believe the website i gave details how for the most popular cd burning programs.

on bootup make sure you place the cd in the drive, and when it loads you should get a green screen with many options. go under the hardrive tools option and select a formatting utility.

once your in the program it is fairly straightforward.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 01:32   Link #12
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
A message may appear asking you to "Press Any Key to Boot from the CD..."

Where's the "Any Key?"

durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 02:20   Link #13
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
Where's the "Any Key?"

The "Any Key" is between the "OMG You're A Moron" key and the "Please Seek Professional Help" key.

But seriously, back on topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceez
so its better for me to go from XP to WIN98 than XP to WINME ?
I've had bad experiences with Windows ME, and I think that the general consensis it that Windows 98 SE is more stable. I'd suggest staying as far away from ME as you can.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 04:02   Link #14
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
there are many ways of formatting your computer, and many different security levels. ill assume you dont need security against the NSA, so ill skip how to do that format. Ill give you 2 options on doing this.

a. make sure you have a win98 boot disk. at startup place the disk in the drive and wait until it boots the drivers. then you should get some options. at the bottom of the screen there should be an option along the lines of "command prompt" i think it is SHIFT + F5. when the drivers are further loaded, you should get a satus prompt such as

C:\

then type

format (your hardrive letter you want erased):

as EXAMPLE ill use this

C:\format C:

or to ensure that everything is erased type

format (your hardrive letter you want erased): /u

as an EXAPMLE ill use this

C:\format C: /u

what this does is an unconditional format, in which absolutely nothing is left behind, and the chances of recovering the information is lower than that of a standard format.

b. this option may be easier for many, download (it is FREE software and therefor not illegal) Ultimate Boot CD. It can be found at

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

NOTE: your computer must support booting from a cd.

Then get a blank cd and burn the program as an IMAGE on to the cd.

(i wont go over on how to do that because each program does it a different way) but i believe the website i gave details how for the most popular cd burning programs.

on bootup make sure you place the cd in the drive, and when it loads you should get a green screen with many options. go under the hardrive tools option and select a formatting utility.

once your in the program it is fairly straightforward.
er.. actually... i believe if you go into your bios and set it so it boots from the cd-rom first you can get ME to setup-boot.. thats what i do for windowsXP when i reformat.... if that doesnt work then you'll have to do it the old fashioned way like you said.. but i'm just kinda making it streamlined for all those newbies out there..
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote