Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-11-29, 17:41   Link #1
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

cannot run bittorrent or videogames but firefox works

so whats going on?

i replaced all the lines, got a new cable modem, they reset the connection but i cant run any applications.

i can surf the web with firefox, but i cannot play any video games without timing out immediately.

utorrent lights up green and there can be 100 seeders connectd to me but i dowload at like 2kbs.

now i have plugged the laptop and the home computer directly to the modem and it still has the problem.

anyone have any ideas?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 17:44   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
so whats going on?

i replaced all the lines, got a new cable modem, they reset the connection but i cant run any applications.

i can surf the web with firefox, but i cannot play any video games without timing out immediately.

utorrent lights up green and there can be 100 seeders connectd to me but i dowload at like 2kbs.

now i have plugged the laptop and the home computer directly to the modem and it still has the problem.

anyone have any ideas?
Is it possible that all Ports except 80 are blocked?
Old 2006-11-29, 17:48   Link #3
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

there is no router or firewall other than norton antivirus. can windows XP block ports by itself?

i have disabled norton and it does not improve.
Old 2006-11-29, 17:57   Link #4
ImClueless
Rawr

The new cable modem might have allowed your ISP to throttle your connection. I have heard similar stories from friends. Did you have this problem before changing modems?
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 18:00   Link #5
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the problem is why i changed the modem.

last night had to reset the old modem a few times by unpluggin it, its the only way to renew ISP address. suddenly i was playing a game and connection dropped. ever since then i can only use firefox on either computer.

got the new modem and the problem persists.
Old 2006-11-29, 18:19   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Since things like MTU sizes and stuff doesn't change within a game. I'ld suggest there is nothing wrong on your side. Maybe the ISP has problems or the DSLAM you're connected to.
Old 2006-11-29, 18:55   Link #7
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i did a line loss test and it says it cannot be pinged

it says

Simple ping loss check
target IP does not respond to ICMP ping

edit: now i did the ping test. says

Sorry, 18 pings gave errors or timeouts.
Old 2006-11-29, 19:30   Link #8
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
most likely if all your computers in your network are experiencing this problem its the cable modem or the line itself. not exactly sure whats the problem without doing some ping checks and stuff. generally to do a ping you open your start icon > RUN > type in "CMD" ( no quotes) > ping (website) say like www.yahoo.com

wait for the return to come back and if your not downloading then you should get at the bottom average ms= anywhere between 20 and 100..if it times out or you get numbers that arent within the range then something might be wrong. you might have malware or adware. to check for that in the same CMD area(the black window) type in "netstat -n" ( make sure that BT is OFF) should be a list of IP addresses and the status... there souldnt be more than 10 lines of writing there otherwise you have some program connecting to the outside without you know(adware/ malware)

if thats ok and within range then i suggest you try to your cable modem at a different plug. sometimes things happen or something goes wack.. just eliminating all possible problems that could be causing your issues. last resort is to call the cable/dsl company and ask if they have been doing maintainance or been having line troubles in your area. thats about it..
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 19:35   Link #9
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yeah i called them and scheduled them to come look at the line. now the send signal on the modem will not light up. it cannot be my computer because that would be really wierd have both computers not on a LAN in the house not work at the exact same time. unless malware now has a destroy the world at 7pm built into it :0

anyway we will see what happens tomorrow
Old 2006-11-29, 19:41   Link #10
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
lol yea most likely it is their side.... sometimes but RARELY if you have a cable box thats underground, squirrels get into them somehow and naw away at the lines damaging them slowly to the point of no return.. i'm just speculating.. but if you got a tech guy coming tomorrow he'll probably fix it for you :P good luck :P
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote