Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-23, 22:10   Link #941
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
The political/military conflict of the first season felt real. It wasn't hard to take it seriously. It was handled not all that much differently from how a good Gundam series would handle it.
Yes, the first season up until episode 20-ish wasn't bad at all, and I was actually hooked. Until the bad writing monster reared its ugly head and we started to get all sort of ridiculous plot devices, cliffhangers and characters that stopped making any sense whatsoever.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2010-01-24, 14:20   Link #942
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Code geass was something that could have been very entertaining if it weren't for plot devices, wall bangers and just plaion old ecchi fanservice that killed the series.
Old 2010-02-17, 21:51   Link #943
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction

On the topic of Gurren Lagann and I'm not trying to bash the series here, but if it's a show not meant to be taken seriously, why were people so choked up and cried 'manly tears' over the deaths of certain characters? Heck I've heard of fans who claimed that it was a life changing experience watching that show.

Another thing that bugged me about the show is that it couldn't decide if it was a parody or if it was a drama.

Again, not bashing, just wondering why the fans say that it's a show not meant to be taken seriously when there are episodes where they do take it seriously.

Another anime I couldn't get into was Cowboy bebop. I've tried so hard to like the series, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it.

While it was well animated, I didn't like the character designs all that much. In addition, the plot was a little too episodic at times, making it hard for me to follow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Monster a somewhat popular series? This is another show I couldn't get into. Though I am thinking of giving it another chance...
Old 2010-02-17, 23:45   Link #944
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Code Gayass Geass. I just don't like this show. I've tried watching it on Adult Swim but I just don't find anything appling about it. I mean, isn't basically Gundam Wing set in high school days? Ladouche Lalouch is an ass and I can't stand his English voice actor: Johnny Young Bouch. (HE SOUNDS THE SAME IN EVERYTHING HE DUBS!!! ) I just don't like this show. Well, I'm done ranting.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:07   Link #945
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post
On the topic of Gurren Lagann and I'm not trying to bash the series here, but if it's a show not meant to be taken seriously, why were people so choked up and cried 'manly tears' over the deaths of certain characters? Heck I've heard of fans who claimed that it was a life changing experience watching that show.

Another thing that bugged me about the show is that it couldn't decide if it was a parody or if it was a drama.

Again, not bashing, just wondering why the fans say that it's a show not meant to be taken seriously when there are episodes where they do take it seriously.
It's probably not meant to be taken all that seriously until the first major death... then the tone of the anime changes a lot. And the anime just gets more and more serious from that point on.

So, I took most of it as serious drama, myself. Only the first few episodes were pure goofing-off parody, imo.
Old 2010-02-18, 17:14   Link #946
Dark Adonis

I just plain couldn't get into Rurouni Kenshin. I only saw the first season, so maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance (Shishio seems pretty badass from clips I have seen), but I just could not get into the characters. Kenshin seemed wishy-washy to me and Kaoru and that kid were both annoying. Sanosuke was the only main character I liked even a little bit. Add that to the fact that the show was constantly pushing around its morality made watching it a rather tedious experience for me.
Old 2010-02-18, 17:17   Link #947
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
^ I like Kenshin but only the dubbed version. Girly-voiced main characters for the lose. :/
Old 2010-02-20, 09:04   Link #948
kalen

I always hated Naruto and I still can't get why so many people like this overrated jerk.
Old 2010-02-20, 10:15   Link #949
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
To Aru Majutsu no Index, the main character just pisses me off with his self righteous attitude and arrogance.

Hellsing, *shocks* Despite what most people may think, I don't believe tyhat Alucard is that badass but I think it is more because of hype if anything. Every cahracter in that manga is just badass that i get annoying to hear that they don't die especially Alucard who everyone knows will just comeback to some bull--- way because he is effectively indestructible. It ruins the suspension of disbelief knowing that Alucard will just comeback no matter what his enemies do, he was just willed out of existence and he still comes back.
Old 2010-02-20, 15:08   Link #950
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post

Well the show was mostly a parody with a few serious episodes sprinkled in here and there.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Monster a somewhat popular series? This is another show I couldn't get into. Though I am thinking of giving it another chance...
Me either I don't know it just seemed to kind of drag on and after 6 episodes I had enough.
Old 2010-02-20, 18:57   Link #951
Animelover#1
Kouta...

naruto, code guisse, elfen lied, full metal alchemist.. all the long ones.
Old 2010-02-21, 14:29   Link #952
Kyon-san
Facepalming

Send a message via AIM to Kyon-san Send a message via MSN to Kyon-san
FLCL, code geass (I don't like mecha-anime sorry)
Old 2010-02-21, 22:08   Link #953
Animelover#1
Kouta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalen View Post
I always hated Naruto and I still can't get why so many people like this overrated jerk.
because it's popular?
seriously people associate naruto with anime, I get people that have heard i'm an otaku just walk up to me and say "hey dude d'you watch naruto."

-_-
Old 2010-02-21, 22:46   Link #954
Kazu
Flowing

All Bakemonogatari fans, why is Bakemonogatari so great, sure, The characters look great, but the first few episodes made no sense at all, they talked and talked then this girl got cured of something, i'm just not following it
Old 2010-02-22, 04:15   Link #955
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Are you actually asking or is that rhetorical?
Old 2010-02-22, 04:45   Link #956
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Higurashi, although it seems to be well-received, I couldn't even make it to the middle...although it does have a certain plot and uses normal/fun moments to support the horror atmosphere, the mood was alternated too fast too many times, it felt like watching something that wants to have everything in it instead of sticking to two or three types. Not to mention that everyone was crazy, it's no fun if there's nobody sane to explore the mystery.
Old 2010-02-22, 06:01   Link #957
tonny chan

Well, it's because Ryu07 want everything in his series. From serial murder, then he have some super-natural Shinto, about some dark tradition of this village. But not just stop there, he add some sci-fi feature like UFO or biological weapon, which make me so interesting to follow, but in the end everything so simple !
So I'm looking for more fantasy feature in his lastest series: Ookami kakushi !
btw, if every direct download anime community save some GB to hosting old, good anime instead of Bleach, Naruto or whatever long series, it's would be great !
Old 2010-02-22, 09:15   Link #958
Sphire

I hated Toradora! Why? Because I hated the 2 main characters. A lot. Support characters on the other hand were quite good. But they don't matter in the end. The last couple of episodes were probably the most painful thing I've watched in anime. Tacked on drama to accommodate my hated characters.

But many like it. Why? Have no idea. Probably the stereotypical main female lead (which I hate).
Old 2010-02-22, 11:47   Link #959
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
But many like it. Why? Have no idea. Probably the stereotypical main female lead (which I hate).
You mean a Tsundere? She actually one of the better Tsundere's I've seen imo.
Old 2010-02-22, 12:08   Link #960
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
I hated Toradora! Why? Because I hated the 2 main characters. A lot. Support characters on the other hand were quite good. But they don't matter in the end. The last couple of episodes were probably the most painful thing I've watched in anime. Tacked on drama to accommodate my hated characters.

I didn't find much to enjoy in Toradora either. Characters all felt rather superficial and cartoony, and the melodrama was quite overdone.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Closed Thread