AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-12-08, 09:56   Link #1
iamthelordyourgod

Was GSD's ending a rip off????

Well i am a gundam fan and when i was watching ep50 of GSD i was sort of surprised when it you know ended, it was like BOOM!! durandal, talia and rey dies
luna and shinn watching the explosion and then credits. And as all the people feels when some show ends without a single clue of what happens next, it just you know a bummer, it ended!!

then a thought came into my mind. Stargazer was next and GSD didn't even mention what happened to everyone's lives

I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!

iamthelordyourgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 10:04   Link #2
4Tran

You should watch Final Plus. It's a much more complete ending than episode 50 is.
Old 2006-12-08, 10:48   Link #3
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Even if you do its not much better, its still a horrible ending even with the resolution.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 11:10   Link #4
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Even if you do its not much better, its still a horrible ending even with the resolution.
That's a debatable proposition at best. However, what Final Plus does is show you what happens after the final battle. Since this is what iamthelordyourgod's main complaint was, watching it would seem to be a good idea.
Old 2006-12-08, 12:18   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
You should watch Final Plus. It's a much more complete ending than episode 50 is.
Should this thread be merged with the [GSD] Official "AFTER-EP" (episode 51) discussion thread since it's the "GSD Final Thoughts" thread (or at least the closest since I suspect the original Ep 50 Discussion thread was lost in the 2005 forum restore).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 12:28   Link #6
4Tran

Probably not. This thread was started by iamthelordyourgod who hasn't seen Final Plus yet. There's also not a whole lot to discuss since he seemed to be just looking for some information.
Old 2006-12-08, 14:23   Link #7
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

I would actually personally suggest to skip Final Plus and actually wait for Special Edition Final to be released. Knowing Fukuda hes bound to screw with the story even more.
Old 2006-12-08, 16:51   Link #8
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Yeah, I think the ending of the fourth Special Edition will elaborate more on what actually happens with the political scene after the CE 73 war ends, and possibly set up something for the SEED theatrical film. Nothing too big of course, but sort of like how they were able to draw things from the ending of Fullmetal Alchemist to create a plot for the FMA movie.

As for the original ending to GSD in ep 50...I thought it was really lacking in the way it just...ended without any kind of resolution at all. It just ends with Messiah going down in flames and the Orb/Clyne Faction forces coming out on top, nothing about the conflict actually ending or any kind of postwar legislation/conflict. As crazy and rushed as it was, I did like Durandal's death as well as Rey and Talia going down with him. I thought that scene was well done because Durandal was the closest thing Rey had to a father, and Talia was like a step-mother to him their whole time on the Minerva. The scene could've been done better, but it works in my opinion.

Before that I think Durandal and Kira's confrontation could've gone a lot better...and the dialogue might be changed in the fourth Special Edition since a lot of Durandal's banter about how Kira would've been a bigger threat had he been properly trained has been dropped from previous SE installments...in fact all that remains is a quick line about how he wonders if Shinn will be able to defeat Kira. As it stands now, the exchange between Durandal and Kira could be a lot better and it's one of my least favorite moments in the finale.

All in all there are a couple of good moments, a couple of ideas executed wrong, and a couple of things that just didn't work or were out of place (like Justice bringing down Minerva BY ITSELF). It could've been better but I've seen plenty of series that just leave you hanging at the end with a bad taste in your mouth.
Old 2006-12-08, 21:10   Link #9
Strike Mk.II

Y'know I have to admit I lol'd when I saw I-Justice disable minerva like it did, I know it was lame and like out of the blue, but the way it was executed just looked really funny. It seemed really out of proportion, was I-Justice's sublifter (Backpack) really that huge or was Minerva really that small?
Strike Mk.II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 21:16   Link #10
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike Mk.II View Post
Y'know I have to admit I lol'd when I saw I-Justice disable minerva like it did, I know it was lame and like out of the blue, but the way it was executed just looked really funny. It seemed really out of proportion, was I-Justice's sublifter (Backpack) really that huge or was Minerva really that small?
the rule is, famous character/ships are disabled/killed by famous character/ships. athrun was the only guy around then, so he had to do the chore of disposing the garbage, so to speak.
Old 2006-12-08, 21:52   Link #11
sx3
0 Gundam

bah i remmeber last last summer(2004) looking forward every friday night to gettign a new GSD episodes, i was happy at first but than.. it started going down hill and when the ending struck me i was just like huh.. like at first it was okay but as i kept watching it i realized how bad it was compared to UC, serverly dissapointed. than i watched Final Plus, barely changed anything for me :S i would also suggest u wait for the Forth special edition
sx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 22:50   Link #12
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

I have an even better idea.

Don't watch any of the 'after' episodes and watch better shows. And forget that Gundam SEED and SEED: Destiny ever happened.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 00:24   Link #13
Derringer
Bluefin Distribution
*Scanlator

Yeah, Destiny's ending is a ripoff of Seed.

Uber Super Weapons? Check. Those annoying 3 Ships? Check. Huge assault on Zaft structure? Check. METEOR spam? Check. Yzak and Dearka unintentionally lending a helping hand? Check. Fight between Freedom and Providence? Check. Characters resorting to only saying first names to convey some deep thought? Check (I seriously want to smack whoever it was in the anime and manga industry who resorted to yelling out the names of people. Seriously it's "name!" ...."name!" WTF STOP SAYING HIS/HER NAME.)
Derringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 02:45   Link #14
iamthelordyourgod

god....................................

im still dumbfounded
any of you guys have better says than thissssss

i hope lacus was here
iamthelordyourgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 02:49   Link #15
4Tran

You should just watch Final Plus and judge it for yourself. I tended to like it myself, but everyone's opinion may be a little different.
Old 2006-12-09, 04:24   Link #16
ila-chan
ermmm...

GSD? Nothing more than the just the typical ending of GS or any other GUNDAM series. Or any other Sci-fi stories. Its the same everytime. Evil guy wanted to dominates the world. Good guy doesn't war anymore.Evil guy and good guy clashes, boom, bang, clank!!! Good guy wins. And the co-stars are nothing more than just fillers. Personally, I like Final Plus better; the voice acting is better, the scenes are a little okay, and there's no rush. But then, the ending to the Final Plus itself is filled with questions....
ila-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 08:15   Link #17
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Final Plus at some points felt even more rushed than the original ending, seriously what WAS the point of having Athrun in the final scene as well? Especially when he had no dialogue at all...it wasn't just so much that the ending wasn't completely resolved, didn't mean anything really and was a complete rehash of SEED even with stock footage. The opening as well managed to somehow be even worse than the 4th opening with a completely random song and amateur video editting.

But the just plain badly written characterization throughout the entire course of the series left the series with absolutely no build up and no "BOOM!" in the finale's conflicts. I actually look back on those Fridays of waiting for S-Destiny and realize I wasted all my bandwidth and time watching a pile of trip I could've spent on something else if I had known better.

Quote:
GSD? Nothing more than the just the typical ending of GS or any other GUNDAM series. Or any other Sci-fi stories. Its the same everytime. Evil guy wanted to dominates the world. Good guy doesn't war anymore.Evil guy and good guy clashes, boom, bang, clank!!! Good guy wins. And the co-stars are nothing more than just fillers.
Its not about the result really, its the getting there that is what matters. Plenty of series had dissapointing endings but the getting there was so good you kinda forgive them as it was hard to finish. In this case it was a pile of crap on the way upto the ending, then suddenly they decided to make it worse.
Old 2006-12-09, 15:19   Link #18
Empire
Independent MS pilot

I'll... just never understand that. I read people's complains and grumbles about GSD and read them more and more... and still can't understand :P

I'll try to stick only to Final Plus as this is the topic only about that last episode...

Well, I've watched it more than thirty times now and heck, I still like it. I even like it far more that when I've watched it for the first time (but that's truth for entire GSD).

I like the opening song. Contrary to the previous two, which I really couldn't stand, this one is nice and works great toward showing psychological state of the characters. And I don't see a reason to complain about opening video.

I love the way they've put together introduction before opening. It perfectly shows the main Destiny's tragedy. The main problem.

Yzak and Dearka? What they did was only logical choice. I just can't imagine Yzak which wouldn't assist in Eternal's defence in that moment. He wasn't blind, he felt that what Durandal and co. were doing was wrong. I'm only surprised they didn't join Lacus faction earlier, that was probably problem of loyality, Yzak isn't the kind of betrayer.

Some people moan that Legend and Destiny were downed too quickly. Well, they've couldn't give them more time because they hadn't that time. If it was to be done to the every detail, every argument the pilots could throw, the episode would take 4 hours not 40 minutes. Especially SF and Legend's duel would be lenghty.
So they've cut those fights to what was most important. Kira didn't defeat Rey with just single sentence transmitted via SEED Local Area Network from Lacus. He defeated him with all the implication's of that sentence. They couldn't put it all, so they've made you to think about them for yourself. Logical, and I think, acceptable.
Similarly with Shinn... and same goes for Durandal's and Kira's discussion, they didn't have time to convey it in entire lenght so they threw essentials and let you think about them. Explore them.

People moan about reused animations, but don't write a single word about voices which are done perfectly I think. I like Rey best, the way he screams "yes... put an end to all of this... this time for sure!!" or "and one thing you cannot regain.. is your past!" are one of the best voice acting I've ever heard, you can feel all the emotions that fueled him, all the pain, all the desire to not let his tragedy be repeated. Other characters are done good as well, with exception maybe for Mwu, but he's only a small drop in the ocean.

Music in this episode is, as always, great, no comments are requied I think.

In the end, Final Plus clears all the main GSD mess, leaving the world in hands of both Cagalli and Lacus, finishing the part of Shinn's story and letting everyone to go their own way (scene at the stone memorial in Orb, all the three pairs go different way, it just has to mean something), still they leave in peace.
Yet it leaves enough place for future stories by leaving some sideplots unsolved, from which skeleton of mammal that was brought from Jupiter is my favourite (and which, I hope, will be digged into judging by appeareance of Stargazer project ,and Mars colony, and all that stuff beyond of earth-space colonies war, which was main problem of most of the gundams before).

So, I like GSD. I like Final Plus. These are my opinions. I just hope that some people will try to look from a different perspective at both GSD and FP after reading this. Sorry for my crappy english grammar, I'm trying to improve it but It's like fighting Providence in a Windam ;P
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 06:50   Link #19
Kingpincollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Sorry for my crappy english grammar, I'm trying to improve it but It's like fighting Providence in a Windam ;P
Hey bro, don't worry, your English is good. I understood what you said just fine.

You know, I'm the biggest Gundam fan there is, I've seen every single series of Gundam ever, and I just want to put a disclaimer out here....I am not a SEED hater. I actually liked both series, and watched them completely.

However, I have to admit, did it not seem like the entire story of GSD was just not as interesting as the other series? All the way down to the end. People are right. The end just leaves you feeling empty. Too many things were unresolved. Atleast in SEED it felt like there was some closure. I don't know, but that's my 2 cents. I hope my beloved Gundam franchise does not continue down this road, because if it does in a few years we're going to be watching series with flashy animation and cathcy music, but with no substance to the plot what so ever.

Oh, how I yearn for the days of the good old Universal Century..........
Kingpincollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 10:39   Link #20
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

how many ending are there in GSD?

GSd ep 50
GSD ep final plus
???? anymore????
Justice Knight is offline   Reply With Quote