AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-26, 08:45   Link #1721
rulfo

Spoiler for IT BEGINS:

Oh well.... Now if it does click... Could this mean... Animation Do for fujoshi while KyoAni for moe fans?
Old 2013-04-26, 08:49   Link #1722
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

"Thank you everyone for signing! THANK YOU CRUNCHYROLL!!!"
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-04-26, 08:50   Link #1723
rulfo

Those words of gratitude.. It's killing me...

I wonder if they'll get streaming rights for this. If they don't. This gonna be hilarious.
Old 2013-04-26, 08:55   Link #1724
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Those words of gratitude.. It's killing me...

I wonder if they'll get streaming rights for this. If they don't. This gonna be hilarious.
Sadly, sports anime do horrible sales-wise in NA, so it's likely going to be licensed by CR.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2013-04-26, 09:02   Link #1725
Skane
Anime Snark

I guess it was a matter of time before they expanded on their one-off yaoi scenes in their previous anime. Naked Sagara anyone? Itsuki too.
Old 2013-04-26, 09:04   Link #1726
whitecloud

you guys should visit /a/, myanimelist and other forum, they're calling traitor,RIP,etc and there is some war between supporter and hater, (very funny to read);it's hot over there...this place is relatively chill and civil...
Old 2013-04-26, 09:07   Link #1727
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Sadly, sports anime do horrible sales-wise in NA, so it's likely going to be licensed by CR.
Well this isn't exactly your typical sports anime as it might reach an audience who wouldn't normally buy sports series.

That being said I hope it's more traditional sports series with good character development, friendship, and team work.

It might be enough for some people, but cute boys swimming isn't exactly enough for me.

ANN is surprisingly chill so far as well!
Old 2013-04-26, 09:35   Link #1728
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well this isn't exactly your typical sports anime as it might reach an audience who wouldn't normally buy sports series.

That being said I hope it's more traditional sports series with good character development, friendship, and team work.

It might be enough for some people, but cute boys swimming isn't exactly enough for me.

ANN is surprisingly chill so far as well!
Most people don't mind that KyoAni is targeting a female-based audience. I know I personally don't and I'm actually debating if I can import FREE!.

Old 2013-04-26, 09:50   Link #1729
Kirarakim

Quote:
Most people don't mind that KyoAni is targeting a female-based audience. I know I personally don't and I'm actually debating if I can import FREE!.
Most mature people don't mind, but don't forget the reaction when just the CM aired and certain fans declared Kyoani had betrayed them.
Old 2013-04-26, 09:58   Link #1730
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Most mature people don't mind, but don't forget the reaction when just the CM aired and certain fans declared Kyoani had betrayed them.
Certain international fans (who rarely pay anything substantial to the original committee) were upset. There wasn't much, if any, backlash I saw in JP.

Old 2013-04-26, 10:08   Link #1731
Kirarakim

Quote:
Certain international fans (who rarely pay anything substantial to the original committee) were upset. There wasn't much, if any, backlash I saw in JP.
Actually there was definitely of backlash on places like 2ch and another male Otaku oritentated site that I am forgetting the name.

However a lot of times complainers yell the loudest, doesn't mean the majority of people actually feel this way.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:16   Link #1732
Dextro
He Without a Title

Ok, this is hilarious. I'll probably pass for the first time on a KyoAni show but just the reaction from all the haters is worth it.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:34   Link #1733
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'll say this for KyoAni - This is definitely a bold move.

Tamako Market didn't sell all that well, and from what I heard/read about it, a big part of the reason why is that otakus didn't feel like the show was "for them".

Well, KyoAni is already coming back with another show that (male) otakus will probably feel is not "for them".

Given that this is the core customerbase that has contributed greatly to KyoAni's commercial success and current industry standing, this is definitely a bold move on KyoAni's part. Time will tell if it was a smart move or not, though.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:42   Link #1734
Folenfant
Banned

This is probably the smartest move possible commercially and resource wise for them. It seems clear the girl moe anime well is drying up a little of late for them so to turn around and tap the fujoshi well a little instead which has proven to be very much still viable could work for them. They can continue their strong emphasis on animation quality and design while still not having to worry terribly much about a strong plot and character development (which yesterday I cited as one of their weak areas) which would be required of something like an FMP or Haruhi since it's not necessarily required when it comes to fujoshi in order to make them pay money for something. No offense meant here, but that audience isn't particularly known for being very discerning about shows and can usually be satfisfied reasonable well by implied yaoi and bishonen character designs.

Also the PV really does have all the feel of their usual school club anime driven fare only of course with all males, but of course the aesthetic change is key and they are playing to their strengths in that regard.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:48   Link #1735
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The interesting part about this show is that Asahi Broadcasting (ABC) is part of the production committee (here's their own site for FREE!). This is the first new partner in a KyoAni production committee in quite a while. What I find most inspiriting about the show is this. It's a new direction/new work partners allowing KyoAni more freedom than just Pony Canyon/TBS. This is very good news for growth in their original endeavors.

Old 2013-04-26, 10:50   Link #1736
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Meh. This is the least exciting announcement possible. Swimming pretty boys is just gimmicky.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:50   Link #1737
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, this is a creditably ballsy move but commercially, I don't see it as all that bold. KuroBas has proved that the fujoshi market can be a commercial powerhouse for sports anime, and with the power of KyoAni behind the animation I'd be surprised if this doesn't sell very well for them. They already have the moe market as a captive audience, and for all the protestations now those people will come back for the inevitable CGBC series that will arrive soon. And Free gives them access to a market that's previously been largely untapped for them.

Ballsy? Yes - but also shrewd and very good business.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:51   Link #1738
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Tamako Market didn't sell all that well, and from what I heard/read about it, a big part of the reason why is that otakus didn't feel like the show was "for them".
Who was it for then?
Quote:
Well, KyoAni is already coming back with another show that (male) otakus will probably feel is not "for them".
This obviously isn't for them at all

Quote:
Given that this is the core customerbase that has contributed greatly to KyoAni's commercial success and current industry standing, this is definitely a bold move on KyoAni's part. Time will tell if it was a smart move or not, though.
Well here is the thing while Kyoani series sell consistently well for the most part they haven't had a run away hit (with a new property) in awhile, not compared to past successes.

Also while I think around the time Haruhi came out they were one of the biggest studios, Shaft has sort of overtaken them.

Kyoani is still successful though so maybe they shouldn't try experimenting but it is interesting to see if the female fanbase in Japan will make this show a success. There is definitely a female fanbase in Japan that we saw from the success of things like Kuroko no Basket and Tiger and Bunny.
Old 2013-04-26, 10:59   Link #1739
Key Board
Carbon

Japan is mature enough to celebrate the sexualization of both genders in their fictions

The west has much to learn
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-04-26, 11:00   Link #1740
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Meh. This is the least exciting announcement possible. Swimming pretty boys is just gimmicky.
More like a simple and broad premise allows for a lot of freedom.

Although yes- it'll probably not be anything completely different from the SoLs they've done, and it's still yet another show set on a high school.
Doesn't mean it can't be exciting, I for one am totally hyped for Kigami doing water sakuga and a new director making her debut.

Speaking of water, they said that it's an important part of this work. That, friendship and upperbodies :P there'll be a "water animation director". Interesting stuff.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios