AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 4 6.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 40.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 23.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 13.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 11.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-03-08, 01:59   Link #61
Kon the Magnificent

I felt for Kiyama during the last bits of the episode, my heart really went out to her...she actually looked broken and lost
Kon the Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 02:22   Link #62
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Canon hates Kiyama.

And Misaka's naivety and high horse still makes me rage.
Old 2010-03-08, 04:07   Link #63
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

It just reminds us why she is not even close to being Hei. Especially on the subject of tactics and infiltration. On top of not even coming close to looking the part.
Old 2010-03-08, 04:29   Link #64
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Woah, how come people are hating on Misaka? Given the infortmation she had, she made the right decision, imo. Kiyama wasn't going to get anywhere and only cause more Poltergeist incidents (not to mention the fact that we know her attempts were hurting the children) and Telestina is head if the MAR. Yes, we know she's probably evil due to our Genre Savviness but how is Misaka supposed to know and why should she suspect her?

In any case it was clear that Kiyama was only going to get herself hurt in this situation and Misaka probably didn't want that to happen.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 04:52   Link #65
Fandal

Well, isn't Misaka a bit dumb/naive at this point of the story? It will take a while for her to grow and this arc is probably here to show off this growth. This is technically her first infiltration into a government lab, even though it was abandoned so she's learning. In a way, this is just one arc that is transforming her from a naive little girl into well, a capable heroine of this series.

The other girls on the other hand.....
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 04:57   Link #66
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

While probable it's not necessarily the fault of the poltergeist experiments for the children to be hurt. It might as well be the aftereffects of the overload experiment.

Anyway it's not that I'm hating what Mikoto as person (in fact I can understand her actions) but more that behaviour that lots of characters tend to have.

"Hey I usually am an easy-going person but suddenly feel the need to act like an upholder of moral standards !!!!111 I'll butt into other people affairs and usually turn them for the worse before coming up with a ridiculous solution that will only work under miraculously improbable conditions which of course come true because I have plot protection. Not that anything of that would have been necessary if I had acted more tactful from the start instead of rushing things!"

It turns some switch inside that makes me rage. This scenario can vary heavily depending on show and character. Again I'm /NOT/ saying that Mikoto is exactly this type of person but she shows some tendencies from time to time.

Now it's time to hide myself from Mikoto followers before I get stabbed or worse.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 05:26   Link #67
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
"Hey I usually am an easy-going person but suddenly feel the need to act like an upholder of moral standards !!!!111 I'll butt into other people affairs and usually turn them for the worse before coming up with a ridiculous solution that will only work under miraculously improbable conditions which of course come true because I have plot protection. Not that anything of that would have been necessary if I had acted more tactful from the start instead of rushing things!"

It turns some switch inside that makes me rage. This scenario can vary heavily depending on show and character. Again I'm /NOT/ saying that Mikoto is exactly this type of person but she shows some tendencies from time to time.

Now it's time to hide myself from Mikoto followers before I get stabbed or worse.
QFT.

There is no need to hide, comrade. We shall stand tall, our chins held high and our chests pumped in pride. There is no wrong in being a completely indifferent bastard who is not clouded by character favouritism.
Old 2010-03-08, 06:31   Link #68
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

*cough* I'm hardly a Misaka fan. <_<

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-08 at 10:21.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:02   Link #69
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post
Well, isn't Misaka a bit dumb/naive at this point of the story? It will take a while for her to grow and this arc is probably here to show off this growth. This is technically her first infiltration into a government lab, even though it was abandoned so she's learning. In a way, this is just one arc that is transforming her from a naive little girl into well, a capable heroine of this series.
Or the girl who will fight fate itself to the point of almost killing herself for the sake of others.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:51   Link #70
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Mmmm, good/average episode. Still nothing that rocks my chair, but I guess I can look forward to that (hopefully....) when the arc comes to its climax.

I agree/don't agree with the current majority opinion on Mikoto: given the info she knows, she probably did make the best decision regarding who should be caring for the kids. But she definitely could have handled it way better than she did; she didn't have to verbally slap Kiyama in the face over it, especially when Mikoto knows the pain Kiyama went through over this whole thing. Maybe Kiyama isn't thinking about the big picture, but you can't say her heart is in the totally wrong place.

As for Mikoto being on the high horse, I do agree that it's hard to stomach, butfor me it's not because I can't stand that type of character; it just doesn't feel like Mikoto has earned the right to "mouth off" to other people like that. Characters like Touma Kamijo, Kenshin Himura, and Ichigo Kurosaki bleed by the gallon to see their words through, while it just doesn't feel like Mikoto has done as much. Maybe that's just a feeling since even back in the Level Upper arc fight the worst she got were bruises, if even that. It just feels like she hasn't quite worked to get her point across the way Touma, Kenshin, Ichigo, and other such characters have in their respective series-es.

As for Uiharu's power........a rather heavy disappointment.

So she heats things.

Oh.

Wow.

I mean, I wasn't expectying much since she's a Level 1, but after all the hype that people have been making over what her power could be.....

7/10
Old 2010-03-08, 07:53   Link #71
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Tough choice, really.

If Telestina would be the real villain, all that she can do right now is at worst kill off 10 Child Errors as part of the experimentation.

Kiyama, at best, could kill 78% of the espers in Academy City if she keeps being stubborn.

If I was Biribiri, I would side with Telestina any time of the day.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:56   Link #72
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
As for Uiharu's power........a rather heavy disappointment.

So she heats things.

Oh.

Wow.

I mean, I wasn't expectying much since she's a Level 1, but after all the hype that people have been making over what her power could be.....

It's rather your fault for having too high expectations.
Read Uiharu's character thread to see some interesting speculations about her power, ranging from microwave to entropy stop Balancing temperatures can be an amazing ability but so far nobody can say for sure (at least anime-only watchers, maybe Uiharu levels up in the novels?) how her ability will develop.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:02   Link #73
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
It's rather your fault for having too high expectations.
Read Uiharu's character thread to see some interesting speculations about her power, ranging from microwave to entropy stop Balancing temperatures can be an amazing ability but so far nobody can say for sure (at least anime-only watchers, maybe Uiharu levels up in the novels?) how her ability will develop.
I guess you have selective reading/sight, since I clearly stated (and in the very part of my post you quoted, to boot) that I didn't expect much in the first place since she's only a Level 1..... Uiharu's power simply doesn't live up to the fanbase hype, nor the hype that the staff have built up, intentionally or not, by holding it out on us for all this time. That's all.

Many of those abilities speculated in her thread are pretty powerful for a Level 1, so short of some plot hole DBZ-style power increase, I don't expect, nor have I ever expected, anything truly worthwhile to happen.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:05   Link #74
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

"Oh. Wow. I didn't expect much of a lvl1 ability but I'm still heavily disappointed because I expected something better than that."

I don't really need to but let me rephrase that then: It's your fault for catching up with the hype?

Also most of the speculations in her thread are basing her powers if she were a lvl5 so yeah of course they are powerful -_-
Old 2010-03-08, 08:09   Link #75
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Let me rephrase that then: It's your fault for catching up with the hype?
...........what part of "I didn't expect much" isn't getting across here? How am I getting caught up with any hype if I never expected much?

I'm talking about her power being so lame for all the hype that has been created over it. They certainly could have made it more impressive than that, like telekinesis or telepathy. And heating powers sound pretty lame no matter how low your expectations are, anyway.

Quote:
Also most of the speculations in her thread are basing her powers if she were a lvl5 so yeah of course they are powerful -_-
Hence why I'm not putting much into that speculation. They're somewhat irrelevant.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:11   Link #76
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Damn you're responding too fast, couldn't even squeeze my edit in before you replied.

Well shouldn't you blame the hype then and not her power? Also "amazing" is very subjective. I don't see how telepathy/telekineses/etc are more amazing that being able to control the temperature. They are different powers, used in different ways and have (dis-)advantages in different aspects, it's kinda like comparing apples and pears.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:17   Link #77
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Damn you're responding too fast, couldn't even squeeze my edit in before you replied.

Well shouldn't you blame the hype then and not her power? Also "amazing" is very subjective. I don't see how telepathy/telekineses/etc are more amazing that being able to control the temperature. They are different powers, used in different ways and have (dis-)advantages in different aspects, it's kinda like comparing apples and pears.
I type fast when I'm tired. Of course, that has its drawbacks; I've made typos like you wouldn't believe at this hour.

Well like I said, heating powers are kinda dumb no matter how low your expectations are. Even at lower levels, being able to lift things with one's mind or read a person's thoughts is more "amazing" abilities than being able to keep things warm.

I suppose I could give it some leeway though; maybe they just weren't specific enough. If her specific power is the controlling of microwaves rather than simply heating things up, than her powers would be much more "amazing."
Old 2010-03-08, 08:25   Link #78
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
...........what part of "I didn't expect much" isn't getting across here? How am I getting caught up with any hype if I never expected much?

I'm talking about her power being so lame for all the hype that has been created over it. They certainly could have made it more impressive than that, like telekinesis or telepathy. Heating powers sound pretty lame no matter how low your expectations are.

Hence why I'm not putting much into that specualtion.
Heating Power is pretty much the strongest Power i can imagine. But lets compare it with our beloved Onee-Sama here. Mikoto is lvl5 and can use elecromagnetic fields to create a railgun or monofilament blade. Thats pretty awesome, allright!

But how did Mikoto's powers manifest when she was a mere lvl 1? Did she made the lights flicker when she entered a room? Lame. Did she recharge her ipod when out of joice? Lame. Did she confuse little pathfinders by screwing up their compass needles? Lame. But funny. heh

Well i dont know about you, but even Mikoto's power sounds weak at lvl1. Now lets imagine Uiharu at lvl 5:

She concentrates on a distant object, analysing its molecular structure. She sees carbonates, silicates, and she smiles. She heats these, so they start vibrating at a faster rate, faster, faster, the molecules break, the target begins to emitt heat. The heat reaches 1k degree, 2k, 10k, 100k, Uiharu still smiles. The carbon atoms start a nuclear fusion. The target is ripped appart by an explosion bigger then any regular nuke can do. Now there is a smoking crater the size of a town, where once was Uiharu's target.

sounds good enough for me?
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:38   Link #79
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Heating Power is pretty much the strongest Power i can imagine. But lets compare it with our beloved Onee-Sama here. Mikoto is lvl5 and can use elecromagnetic fields to create a railgun or monofilament blade. Thats pretty awesome, allright!

But how did Mikoto's powers manifest when she was a mere lvl 1? Did she made the lights flicker when she entered a room? Lame. Did she recharge her ipod when out of joice? Lame. Did she confuse little pathfinders by screwing up their compass needles? Lame. But funny. heh

Well i dont know about you, but even Mikoto's power sounds weak at lvl1. Now lets imagine Uiharu at lvl 5:

She concentrates on a distant object, analysing its molecular structure. She sees carbonates, silicates, and she smiles. She heats these, so they start vibrating at a faster rate, faster, faster, the molecules break, the target begins to emitt heat. The heat reaches 1k degree, 2k, 10k, 100k, Uiharu still smiles. The carbon atoms start a nuclear fusion. The target is ripped appart by an explosion bigger then any regular nuke can do. Now there is a smoking crater the size of a town, where once was Uiharu's target.

sounds good enough for me?
As I said, maybe they weren't specific enough; the way you describe Uiharu's power sounds infinitely more powerful than what the show has given us. Heating up food is hardly noteworthy in comparsion to other powers. Now, Like I said, if the specifics of Uiharu's power are in fact microwave manipulation, which she uses to heat things, then her power would actually be pretty impressive.

But alas, that's not what we have. Right now, anyway. We can say "oh Uiharu's power could be used to melt a city" or somesuch until we're blue in the face, but none of that matters if that's not what the show gives us. Maybe it'll turn out to be more powerful at the end of the arc (but like I said, at Level 1 it would take some plot-hole-ness DBZ-style for Uiharu's power to effect anything on a large scale), but right now all we have is a portable food heater. And harsh lessons of letdowns from over-speculation have taught me to wait for what the show gives us before running off with big ideas.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:44   Link #80
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's actually the funny thing about Power User Evolution. There are things which are lame in a normal human's perspective in its Level 1 version, but when it evolves into its Level 5 version, it becomes epic.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote