AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-07-13, 16:43   Link #1
nukunuku
cat+android=catgirl!

[Manga] Edo Tensei Questions...updated

i couldnt find any anwers by searching the forum so im just going to ask them here. im not sure if it will spoil anything so admins just fix it if i do. the edo tensei(from here on out referred as revival jutsu, cuz its easier to remember) you sacrifice a person to ressurrect a persons soul back into that body. i have some questions about this jutsu.
1)if orochimaru uses it and revives HAKU! would he have his bloodline skill? cuz the body dosent have a bloodline, but he does, but it isnt his body, its a non bloodline body.
2)if naruto dies would the kyuubi(is that right?) come out? or would he die with him? after that if he is revived would he have the kyuubi? but its not in his body, its a different persons body.
2 part question
3)do you have to use a freshly killed body? or can u dig up an old corpse?
4)can u use the same body? like if sasuke dies,then he is revived with his own body, cuz it is freshly killed(after u pack it in dirt and whatever else u need to do) would that work? and would he still have his sharigan? cuz that body has the bloodline plus its his body.
5)orochimaru kills sasuke and orochimaru is killed somehow too(uh..is there anyone else who can do the revive jutsu? if not then he is dead then, but lets continue anyways) lets say kabuto does the jutsu and revives orochimaru into sasuke would he then have the sharigan?
[please answer accordingly]

Last edited by james0246; 2010-11-25 at 01:35.
nukunuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 17:18   Link #2
SajberToent
Borked

There's not much info on Orochimarus revival techniques, we don't even know if he's capable of reviving someone for real (what he summoned against the third could hardly qualify as the orginals) so there's no way to answer your Q's really.. I can answer some for you though...

- If Naruto dies, so does kyubi.

- If Orochimaru takes Sasukes body he would have a sharingan, he gains the bloodlimits that body possesed.

- I believe Oro stated that he needed fresh bodies for the revival process.

Last edited by SajberToent; 2004-07-14 at 07:36.
SajberToent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 17:18   Link #3
LuckyStrike

1. I would expect there would be some limitations to the revived body since its essentially dust and parts of the surroundings that make up the revived person. I think Oroch wouldn't be able to take over the body. When the body is revived they seem to have all the powers and skills as they had when they were alive. e.g. 1st/2nd Hokages

2. Naruto made a deal with the Kyuubi where it would lend Naruto its powers in time of need. If Naruto dies, so does the Kyuubi.

3. Oroch needs live bodies, then he does his business with it, seals and stuff.

4. See above, Oroch needs live bodies, he'd have to use some other body to revive Sasuke. See 1. for the skills/bloodline

5. I think Oroch only knows the revival jutsu, but we don't know if anyone else knows a similar technique. I don't think Oroch has taught anyone else though. Hmmm... if someone revived Oroch, I would expect the last form he was in would be revived, I don't see how the revival could pick and choose which form he can be revived too... See 1. for the powers/bloodline
LuckyStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 17:27   Link #4
nukunuku
cat+android=catgirl!

thanks, so i have these ones answered:
1) they would have there abilites, but im not sure about haku, they have there jutsus and whatnot but im not sure about bloodlines.
2)kyuubi would die, so when they are sealed in someone they die with them.
3)living people have to be put through hell so they can be vessels, oky doky
4)so sasuke can use his old body but would still have his skills, not sure about sharigan skills
5)orochimaru wouldnt have the sharigan only his own power, so he would have to take over a body as usual, unless no one can revive him and he dies. also it would revive his spirit, his soul, not the bodies that he takes and the ones that he did take they would die too, or would they be revived into his subconscious? or he could just have a cross-over and have Lain rewrite his existence and he could live happily ever after in the wired!
Old 2004-07-13, 23:12   Link #5
nukunuku
cat+android=catgirl!

since we are talking about his jutsu's. what is the jutsu called where he takes a persons's face? i was reading chapter 49 and anko says "theres no mistaking it, this jutsu is his..." ive checked around and dont know what its called. does it ever get mentioned what the jutsu is called?
Old 2004-07-13, 23:54   Link #6
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukunuku
i couldnt find any anwers by searching the forum so im just going to ask them here. im not sure if it will spoil anything so admins just fix it if i do. the edo tensei(from here on out referred as revival jutsu, cuz its easier to remember) you sacrifice a person to ressurrect a persons soul back into that body. i have some questions about this jutsu.
1)if orochimaru uses it and revives HAKU! would he have his bloodline skill? cuz the body dosent have a bloodline, but he does, but it isnt his body, its a non bloodline body.
2)if naruto dies would the kyuubi(is that right?) come out? or would he die with him? after that if he is revived would he have the kyuubi? but its not in his body, its a different persons body.
2 part question
4)can u use the same body? like if sasuke dies,then he is revived with his own body, cuz it is freshly killed(after u pack it in dirt and whatever else u need to do) would that work? and would he still have his sharigan? cuz that body has the bloodline plus its his body.
5)orochimaru kills sasuke and orochimaru is killed somehow too(uh..is there anyone else who can do the revive jutsu? if not then he is dead then, but lets continue anyways) lets say kabuto does the jutsu and revives orochimaru into sasuke would he then have the sharigan?
I wonder if this might better belong in Naruto Q&A, but let's see:

1) I have no idea, but offhand I sort of doubt it. When Sandaime uses the explosive tags, we can clearly see that there are no actual bodies (flesh, bone blood) involved. It is rather a collection of debris, material, etc. etc. which has nothing with the bloodline.

2) Again I have no idea, but I see no reason why the Kyuubi would die along with him. Kyuubi would not be resurrected.

3) You have to sacrifice the body yourself. Finding a recently-killed body on the battlefield won't work - the soul will have moved on to the afterlife.

4) You will have to sacrifice someone else to revive Sasuke. Unless you were to sacrifice him for himself - which I suppose one might do in order to control him.

1), 5), and 4): Hell if I know. You WOULD be using Sasuke's genetic material to recreate the body, but this might be a case of greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts and there is something required that would be lost in the resurrection.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 09:04   Link #7
Dix11

sweet you asked a question i like ^^

you raise some interesting points.

1. this is a tough one, it depends on wether or not a persons bloodline is literaly bloodline, genetic, or if the specialization is in the chakra type. I think if the bloodline is relation to chakra, then the edo-tensei summon would have the same chakra abilities as the original body of the soul.

2. We dont know what will happen to Kyubi if naruto's body dies. From the anime we might be able to infer that kyubi will die, because kyubi allows naruto to borrow his chakra in order to save himself from life threatening situation, and if narutos death would bring about the release of kyubi, then kyubi wouldnt be interested in helping naruto survive. so i think its reasonable to suggest that naruto's life and kyubi's life are linked. also, because kyubi is immortal and cant die, perhaps his chakra would be released from naruto's body upon death but would not have a new body to go into. (i think this the more likely because Neji says something about the cursed seal on his forhead being relased upon death..im not positive about it, ill have to watch it again) If naruto's seal is broken upon death then kyubi's chakra would be released.

3. no idea. i'd assume it would have to be a body who's soul was not so far lost but really have no idea. but as per someone else's post, if you have to sacrifice the body DURING the jutsu then this wont work.

4. I see no problem with that (unless you need to perform the sacrafice during the jutsu as stated above)..in fact i think what happens with edo tensei is the soul of the dead body is moved into the old body, thus reviving the old body. because the 1st and 2nd hokages bodies were still inside their coffins, so it must have been their actualy dead bodies that were revived with new souls. with this question, it makes me think that it truly is an immortality jutsu. If oro taught kabuto this jutsu, then even if oro died, kabuto could use the jutsu to summon oro's soul back into his body? on the other hand, this possibility also leads me to think that for this reason, the same soul cannot be used in the original body.

5. yes he'd have the sharingan but he would be sasuke under kabuto's control, and orochimaru would have no personality involved. It would be as if any random body was used in sasukes body.
Dix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 14:04   Link #8
swerv
Stay Up

Just about the bloodline powers thing for revived ninja's.

When Oro revived the first in his fight vs Sarutobi, Saru made some comment about the first using his 'special jutsu' or the 'one only he knows'. The one when giant trees grew...so was that a bloodline jutsu? If not it was obviously one of his best, so I would say the revived person would be able to use any jutsu they had during life.

It's not exactly conclusive evidence but it's not too much of a leap to come to the same conclusion.

During that fight wasn't there blood shown in the manga when the 1st and 2nd had limbs blown off? Can't remember I would check but I don't keep the manga and I'm too lazy to search for the right chapter

edit: reply to Luckystrike, I mention the blood thing because that seems to be the factor in deciding whether the revived person has his bloodline abilities.

Last edited by swerv; 2004-07-15 at 10:11. Reason: mmmm more..
swerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 14:19   Link #9
LuckyStrike

the anime generally has far less gore in it.
LuckyStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 17:06   Link #10
psycoking
kyōki-ō

Quote:
Hmmm, can't really say. The revived person does keep his abilities and jutsus, but I'm not sure if a revived soul would keep its bloodline abilities since his genes were technically left behind with his body.

Quote:
2 part question
Yes, kyuubi would die with naruto. Its mentioned in both the anime and the manga (Ch 95 (ch.5 of vol. 11) Pg. 16). I can't say for sure that naruto would have kyuubi with him if he were revived in a different body, but I think the seals seal togeather the souls of the two entities involved and not their body. In other words, if the seals worked this way kyuubi would be tied to naruto's soul not his body, and so you might get both during the revival.

Quote:
I think it has to be fresh, or at least sacrificed specifically for that pourpose

Quote:
Possibly, though this sound less like a summoning and more like a good ol' fashion zombification. I don't think this can work though. If it did then why doesn't oro just keep his own body instead of jumping around from bod to bod

Quote:
No. Edo Tensei is a summoning and the sacrificed body is covered with dirt and dust (ie stuff that use to be alive) inorder to form the body of the summond soul. I think your getting this confused with metaphychosis which lets the user permanently move his soul into another body.
psycoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 17:14   Link #11
nukunuku
cat+android=catgirl!

Quote:
since we are talking about his jutsu's. what is the jutsu called where he takes a persons's face? i was reading chapter 49 and anko says "theres no mistaking it, this jutsu is his..." ive checked around and dont know what its called. does it ever get mentioned what the jutsu is called?
still havent found the answer to this...anyone know?
Old 2004-07-14, 17:19   Link #12
psycoking
kyōki-ō

Quote:
I don't think they've given it a name in either the anime or the manga yet
psycoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 17:54   Link #13
nukunuku
cat+android=catgirl!

oh well, i'll just call it "extreme identity theft no jutsu"
anyways, could the revival jutsu work like this, kill sakura(which i've seen many post about this) by doing the jutsu and extracting her soul, then letting the soul die of, then use the jutsu and revive her(aw, you sakura haters are mad now) back into her body?(except she would be orochimaru's slave)
Old 2004-07-15, 08:20   Link #14
Dix11

Quote:
oh well, i'll just call it "extreme identity theft no jutsu"
anyways, could the revival jutsu work like this, kill sakura(which i've seen many post about this) by doing the jutsu and extracting her soul, then letting the soul die of, then use the jutsu and revive her(aw, you sakura haters are mad now) back into her body?(except she would be orochimaru's slave)
that sounds pretty much like what edo-tensei is all about...awful lot of trouble to go through to get sakura to be your slave though...much simpler to just henge into sasuke...same result
Dix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 19:09   Link #15
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Spoiler for kabuto:
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 01:25   Link #16
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
It might be better to edit the title of this thread with a [Manga], because I'm pretty sure no one in the anime has any questions about the technique.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 01:28   Link #17
james0246

Agreed. Thread title has been updated for manga fans to fully appreciate a discussion concerning the S-Rank technique.

Here's the Data Book entry for the technique (translated by ShounenSuki):

Quote:
Summoning: Impure World* Ressurection (口寄せ・穢土転生, Kuchiyose: Edo Tensei)
Ninjutsu, S-rank, Supplementary
User: Orochimaru

Using a living person as a medium**, it calls back a deceased person to this world.

[picture of Orochimaru putting a fuda*** inside the Shodai Hokage's head]
↑Within this body is a human sacrifice!?

[picture of the resurrected Shodai and Nidaime Hokage]
→The deceased has to obey the user of the technique...

A sinful summoning technique, resurrecting a deceased person back into this world. It uses a living human sacrifice as a vessel to hold the deceased in this world. The sacrifice the deceased descents in, is covered by a shroud of dust in the shape the deceased's body had in life. The technique itself, because it's a kinjutsu that's too inhuman, had it's existence concealed...

*Edo (穢土, "Dirty Soil") is what Japanese Buddhists call the world normal, unenlightened people live in. The current, living world. The world of the people who have not yet have escaped the polluting thoughts (greed, hatred, delusion, etc.) that result in suffering.
**The word used for medium is "yorishiro" (依り代). A yorishiro is an object capable of housing a Kami (神, the shinto concept of gods), allowing them to occupy physical space. Persons can also house Kami, but they are called "yorimashi" (依巫). The fact that the word yorishiro is used here shows how inhuman this technique is, treating the sacrifices as nothing more than objects.
***A fuda, or o-fuda (御札) is a kind of talisman or charm, made of paper. It is placed on walls, pillars, doors , and windows as a guard against evil spirits and such. They are often seen in manga and anime as a kind of mystical weapon. The exploding tags in Naruto are fuda, for example.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:04   Link #18
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
So, in what aspects would the technique be different from Orochimaru's?

For one, I don't think the aspect we just witnessed in the latest chapter was one that wasn't present when Orochimaru fought the Third. He probably killed their personalities because they would get in the way. Did he actually say it or was it implied in some way? I can't remember.

It feels like a Kuchiyose for a soul might be easier on chakra consumption than a living being. That's something the databook doesn't cover. In that regard, I also believe Orochimaru -could- have summoned more men. Why he didn't is probably all down to his confrontation with the Third, which was more an attempt at humiliating the values the old man believed in than anything else. That's how I see it.

So what would be different? Kabuto said he had perfected the technique. Is it... scope? Distance? It seems Kabuto is able to maintain his control over long distances, something Orochimaru might not have been able to do. (Though why not) At this point, it's difficult to tell what's really different, or better done than version 1 of Edo Tensei.

Also, did it say if the sacrifices had to be alive for the soul attaching (The technique kills in the process), or was it that you only need dead bodies. (The technique merely consists in summoning and attaching a soul to any dead thing.)
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:18   Link #19
james0246

^You can't sacrifice a corpse . So, yes, undoubtedly a sacrifice is done with a living human.

As for what is different...still unknown. I imagine it would have to do with mental control over so many different Zombies and over such a great distance. But really, there is no known difference...yet.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 03:40   Link #20
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Kabuto's real trick is gonna be that he can instantly resummon them after the soul has supposedly been "freed".
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote