AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-29, 16:59   Link #1
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Neon Genesis Evangelion (ending)

I am probably one of the less intelligent people who didnt get the ending of this story at all...

I recently finished the anime by borrowing the dvds from my friend and i enjoyed it immensely for like first 20 episodes or so and then towards the end, it had me depressed then confused. Like many, i was saying WTF when i saw the ending.

The basic impression i got from the ending was that Misato and the other blond girl got shot by Nerv personal for gettin to close to revealing the truth and destroying those clones of Rei Ayanami and that Asuka was in a state like her mother where she is just plain crazy, but what was up with all of the psychological stuff after the last angel's death? Was it all going through the head of Shinji or what? Was all that possible future thing being shown to him by a divine intervention and what exactly did consuming the S2 engine do to Unit 01? Also what exactly is an Eva, an Angel, and where did this so called the Dead-Sea scrolls come from (obviously from the dead sea) but i mean by whom was it made by? Despite all these questions what confuses me the most is where did all that psycological stuff come from in the first place. What i remember is Shinji killin the last angel and then bam all that weird crap. Hopefully someone can explain to me how exactly the ending was THE ending.

PS - im going to refrain from watching the movie The End of Evangelion as i heard that it changes the ending completely instead of elaborating on it and changing quite a large portion of the original story.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 17:20   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
I am probably one of the less intelligent people who didnt get the ending of this story at all...
Nor did Japanese viewers who originally watched this show back when it aired on TV Tokyo.

Quote:
I recently finished the anime by borrowing the dvds from my friend and i enjoyed it immensely for like first 20 episodes or so and then towards the end, it had me depressed then confused. Like many, i was saying WTF when i saw the ending.
That is why they made the movie. But due to Eva's "success" and "popularity," it started the whole "leave the ending up to the viewer" phenomena that we see much today (Scryed, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, etc.)

Quote:
The basic impression i got from the ending was that Misato and the other blond girl got shot by Nerv personal for gettin to close to revealing the truth and destroying those clones of Rei Ayanami
Go watch the movie. Then you'll know

Spoiler:

Quote:
and that Asuka was in a state like her mother where she is just plain crazy, but what was up with all of the psychological stuff after the last angel's death? Was it all going through the head of Shinji or what? Was all that possible future thing being shown to him by a divine intervention and what exactly did consuming the S2 engine do to Unit 01? Also what exactly is an Eva, an Angel
It's called GAINAX's trademark "let's-mind-boggle-the-story-so-people-will-talk-about-it-for-years-to-come" tactics. And to a certain extent on how people are still talking about this ten years since its original broadcast, I make the assumption it was successful.

Quote:
and where did this so called the Dead-Sea scrolls come from (obviously from the dead sea) but i mean by whom was it made by?
Google search term: Dead Sea Scrolls

Quote:
Despite all these questions what confuses me the most is where did all that psycological stuff come from in the first place. What i remember is Shinji killin the last angel and then bam all that weird crap. Hopefully someone can explain to me how exactly the ending was THE ending.
The ending is how you forsee it to be the ending. Go watch the movie, and you'll still be confused. But that's the whole point. You believe what you want to believe. Welcome to the world of GAINAX (which unfortunately hasn't seen much success lately).

Quote:
PS - im going to refrain from watching the movie The End of Evangelion as i heard that it changes the ending completely instead of elaborating on it and changing quite a large portion of the original story.
Not really. The TV left open endings in the first place, and was never intended to have an ending. You can see it as a happy ending (omedetou, omedetou, etc...). don't refrain from watching the movie, just go watch it. Because I am sure that many people will have their own ideas on how the TV ended, and that was the whole point in the first place.

Hopefully, these types of animes will break open the shell of Americans who are "acquainted with stories that have a clear definitive Hollywood ending."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 21:50   Link #3
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

so in the end Misato dies......how sad....i hate it when a lively character like that gets shot for a depressed loser....i liked him when he went berserk in episode.

-wait so even the REAL dead sea scrolls tell the future like the supposedly-coded bible information does?
Old 2004-01-29, 22:13   Link #4
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

go through this site...it has a lot of info...

evangelion

It was posted by a couple people in the past and to me it gives you some pretty usefull information
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 23:08   Link #5
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

wow dat really really helped a lot when i read the whole thing....thx a lot
Old 2004-01-30, 23:42   Link #6
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

One more question. Do you need to watch Death and Rebirth to know what End of Evangelion is talking about?

Oh and some news-
i was reading the January issue of Newtype magazine and I noticed that the cover was full of none other than Evangelion pictures. Now when i opened, i read an article about the 2003 Renewal Project that is going on right now and the purpose of this was to remake the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series. I'm pretty excited about this. Also they are making a 2nd game called EVA 2.

-BTW they released a remastered version of Robotech as well....imo veritechs look really weird. They got like these pair of wheels for shoulders and their heads look like a G-bits from GX.
Old 2004-01-31, 04:05   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
One more question. Do you need to watch Death and Rebirth to know what End of Evangelion is talking about?

Oh and some news-
i was reading the January issue of Newtype magazine and I noticed that the cover was full of none other than Evangelion pictures. Now when i opened, i read an article about the 2003 Renewal Project that is going on right now and the purpose of this was to remake the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series. I'm pretty excited about this. Also they are making a 2nd game called EVA 2.

-BTW they released a remastered version of Robotech as well....imo veritechs look really weird. They got like these pair of wheels for shoulders and their heads look like a G-bits from GX.
"remake" as in fix the jitters and actually make it for DVD instead of just dumping analog LaserDisc video onto the DVD, and converting sound into 5.1 ch sound? That one cost me 38,000 yen back in June of 2003....
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 17:17   Link #8
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

No from what i saw they had new more modified designs of the Evas and everything. Asuka looks a bit weird though...the artist said its been so long since he drew her that it took him days to draw her again. Since this is from Newtype, i think its pretty reliable...i mean comon with 1on1 interviews and all its gotta be real....Plus the guy drawing Toji is the guy who cut his leg off in the series.

My question still standin unanswered is do i need to watch death and rebirth to watch end of evangelion?
Old 2004-01-31, 17:47   Link #9
Tboz

No... Death & Rebirth consists of flashbacks of the TV series and the starting of End of Evangelion. You won't miss anything if you don't watch it.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 18:45   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
...hopefully, these types of animes will break open the shell of Americans who are "acquainted with stories that have a clear definitive Hollywood ending."
Very well put. Since the first time I saw Evangelion I have read a fairly large quantity of translated 20th-century Japanese fiction and I appreciate "open endings" for their similarity to real life.

I enjoyed Evangelion very much and even "got" the ending. All I will say about "getting" episodes 25 and 26 is that they roughly depict depression and the emergence from same.

I also enjoyed the movies, although I remember that stepping out of the theater after the first time I saw them a fellow movie-goer asked me to explain (!) how the movies tied up the story (?), which was (and is) beyond me...

If anyone needs background information to help them enjoy the show, there are (or were) plenty of English-language websites which attempted to explain Evangelion in detail. I don't have any links though, sorry.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-03-06 at 17:32.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 18:49   Link #11
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I thought Eva was rubbish. Ohhh, Christian symbolism, how deep and mysterious and intelligent!

Tsurumaki: There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

There we go, that's our hidden meaning for you. Episode 26 was pretty funny, though.
Old 2004-01-31, 19:29   Link #12
corp20
Internet God

I loved the ending of Eva. All those Christian symbols meant nothing in the end... I'm talking about the series no the movie. :P
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 19:42   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp20
I loved the ending of Eva. All those Christian symbols meant nothing in the end... I'm talking about the series no the movie. :P
Exactly.

I must say that for the people who love the show I can't think why they would expect everyone else to love it. On the other hand people who dislike it always seem to harp on irrelevant aspects of the series as "flaws." I don't get the hostility (as opposed to mere dislike) to a show that is no more nonsense than 99% of everything else out there.

Evangelion made an undeniable impact, the likes of which may never be seen again.

People who write anime or manga are no better or worse than Hollywood writers at presenting material based strictly in fact. I got over that a long time ago.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-03-06 at 17:34.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 19:57   Link #14
Weissent
on and off member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
I thought Eva was rubbish. Ohhh, Christian symbolism, how deep and mysterious and intelligent!

Tsurumaki: There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

There we go, that's our hidden meaning for you. Episode 26 was pretty funny, though.
And though we all knew about those statements, and we all saw that smth went wrong during the last episodes, this anime somehow kept us thinking and kept us always trying to interpret the ongoing events...
I really don't know about you guys out there, but this is an extremely rare occurrence. Usually, like in 90% of all anime around, the story they try to tell ranges from weak to bollocks, or in other words: the story is not compelling enough to actually make me care about the characters.
Whereas NGE crosses the line from 'watching out of curiosity' to 'watching out of concern'. Is it only the influence of the congenial CharaDesign with an unusual story, or the overall sense of "What the heck, the symbolism seems to be well-known, but somehow it still differs ... why?" that hooked me up to Evangelion?

I really cannot give a decent analysis of Evangelion, it just touched (or rather hit) a nerve which kept me thinking about this series as one of the greatest out there ....

(btw. I really hate prepositions. Why? s.a.)

Last edited by Weissent; 2004-02-01 at 03:30.
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 00:09   Link #15
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

The thing that had me most confused was that to me the anime seemed to jumping scenes towards the end of the anime. For instance, Shinji killed the last angel then all of a sudden all the psycological theories then bam the end....Not dat i dont like it now since i understand what its about but i think they could hab been a little bit more clear as to what happened between the two episodes...i guess that was what the movie was for.

The thing i was most disappointed about was the lack of design on the angles.....comon....Cubes?
Old 2004-02-09, 15:37   Link #16
IPv6
blastos.com

evangelion

Soo netflix finally send me 0:5 - 0:8. I thought I understood it .... right up to the final 2 or 3 chapters where it losted me.

Was this a movie about self-realization? The ending seem to of hint that because the 3rd child was saying that he couldn't live unless he pointed the eva ... next thing you know he said he can live and move on ... then everyone started to clap and say congraulation.
IPv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 16:28   Link #17
Fronzel
Schmuck

Pretty much. You should try watching The End of Evangelion now.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 18:37   Link #18
Repulse
Lagrange's stepchild

Yeah it's mind fuck
Repulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 18:42   Link #19
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulse
Yeah it's mind fuck
Lol!! Such a short explanation for something meant to be so complicated...I couldn't have said it better myself...except add "a" after it's
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 19:13   Link #20
TronDD
Team the box!

The last couple of eps are sort of internal resolution for the characters. Watch End of Evangelion to see the resolution of the whole story. Actually see what happens to everybody.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote