Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-30, 23:20   Link #21
Iridi

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
As far as Full Moon o Sagashite, 12-14 is roughly right. The show was based on a manga targeted to girls that age. The 12-year-old girls who watched the show didn't need to know anything about BT of course; they just turned on their TVs - they live in Japan.
While I believe this, it just seems that FMwS is so ... well...
ah (don't read this, slc)
Spoiler:

so well, what I'm trying to say is that FMwS is a great anime and all. Though it's not exactly a magic girl type, if you liked Ultra Maniac you will definitely like Full Moon as well, and Animesuki has links to it still. Of course, it's quite a large d/l, but that's what BT is for.

*cough*
Old 2004-01-31, 00:05   Link #22
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridi
...*cough*
Full Moon o Sagashite is certainly a magical girl show; the heroine transforms, just like in almost every other show. But these shows, written as they are by different people at different times, all have unique qualities.

The shows have changed over time. The heroines of the earlier shows are nowhere near as boy-crazy as they have been lately, or at least they were much less up-front about it. This apparently reflects the audience; certainly in the US young girls are more aware and self-conscious than they were in previous generations. The manga are the same way; if these media didn't keep up with their audiences, they wouldn't sell.

Shounen-oriented work centered on more passive and traditional-minded girls has arisen to reassure males. A title like Kokoro Library with its cute innocent heroine exists solely for the purposes of its male audience. With its light fantasy touches it is an update on the older magical girl formula. Pita Ten is similar.

As far as whether or not these shows are great, certainly some of them are. There has been plenty of high-quality work in this genre. More importantly the shows are accessible to people regardless of age or gender. Some people openly enjoy them, while others consider them a guilty pleasure, but many take pleasure in them nonetheless.
Old 2004-01-31, 00:26   Link #23
Iridi

I'm really just been wondering what kind of response the anime received in Japan, especially from its target audience.

Personally I loved FMwS because it has quite a nice blend of emotion and depth, while remaining lighthearted and retaining a great sense of humor.

But, I've read only that it received a lackluster at best response from Japanese audiences, and the simple fact that it hasn't been licensed elsewhere indicates the same.

If its target was indeed younger teen girls, I'm wondering if it's because parents did not let their children watch it that it failed This is, of course, if, I really do not have a reliable source of information by which to go.

And I'm guessing that among its list of reasons as to not having been licensed are the oddity of its appeal... it does seem intended for the age group, but it also seems to not be appropriate for such age groups at the same time.

I suppose that difficulty porting the songs to english and finding suitable replacement voices is one issue keeping this from becoming licensed (hey, I'm happy, I got to see it fansubbed...), but it's sort of sad as it's a great anime... and I doubt that it's the main reason.

I'm off track now, so *pong*
Old 2004-01-31, 01:38   Link #24
Go-lytely

Yes, Magical girl shows are a guilty pleasure for me too. One of my favorites is Pretty Sammy because of its humor and seeing all the tenchi gang in a slightly different setting. OTher shows that may be worth checking out:

Ask Dr Rin! Although only 3 eps are subbed
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - I think its by the same guy who did FMWS
Nanaka 6/17 - well not really maho shojo but the main char likes watching maho shojo
Puchi Puri Yuushi - by Gainax
Old 2004-02-05, 15:13   Link #25
mr_ding

Just got (Creamy Mami episode 1 -52) myself.

Now looking for Ova 1 & 2 for Creamy Mami.

Got to admit, even though I'm a guy, I still watch (Creamy Mami) when I was a kid (many many years ago).
Old 2004-02-05, 16:53   Link #26
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
do Japanese parents typically allow/encourage their children to watch such shocking television? Or is the attitude more like, place the children in front of the TV, and we can cook/clean/* Of course, overall FMwS was definitely made for a younger crowd, but
well, probably no. But who the heck cares what you watch in your own room?
Old 2004-02-05, 18:39   Link #27
Iridi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
well, probably no. But who the heck cares what you watch in your own room?
Your parents should...no?

I don't mean to try to stereotype every parent in a country, I'm just wondering for this specific anime, if it failed to appeal to its home audience, and if so, why...

and then I've been guessing the why...

And to contribute to the topic: Narutaru is an interesting mahou-ish shoujo. So far I'd recommend against it for people who dislike depressing anime, as it's not a happy one.
Old 2004-02-05, 20:12   Link #28
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Your parents should...no?

I don't mean to try to stereotype every parent in a country, I'm just wondering for this specific anime, if it failed to appeal to its home audience, and if so, why...

and then I've been guessing the why...

And to contribute to the topic: Narutaru is an interesting mahou-ish shoujo. So far I'd recommend against it for people who dislike depressing anime, as it's not a happy one.
Well, one idea that I have in mind as a person living in Japan is...

During the time "Mangetsu (Full Moon) wo Sagashite" was being shown, the Ministry of Education lowered the children's educational days to five days per week (it used to be Mondays to Saturdays every other week, with Saturday being a half day).

Around this time, many anime shows started showing anime in the Saturday morning block.

One problem is that "Mangetsu (Full Moon) wo Sagashite" was airing right around the same time "Tokyo Mew Mew" was on too. Two shoujo manga-based anime around at the same time on a Saturday morning.

Most parents are asleep at the time (I don't know about other countries, but here, most parents typically wake up around 10AM on weekends), so many kids go watch anime without parental supervision in place. Besides, they live in a fabulous age where they own TVs in every room (unlike when I was a child...).

Anyhow, I wouldn't know the specific details as I haven't watched both of them (Saturdays and Sundays are reserved for ero-game binges for me), but I assume "Tokyo Mew Mew" gobbled up the ratings over "Mangetsu (Full Moon) wo Sagashite."
Old 2004-02-05, 21:45   Link #29
Iridi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Well, one idea that I have in mind as a person living in Japan is...
Thank you for the insight, as always.
I guess more 12 year old girls need to get ReplayTVs

And I retract my suggestion for Narutaru. Don't watch it as a Mahou Shoujo... it's good, but yegods, it's not a happy title.
Old 2004-02-07, 19:00   Link #30
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
kl33my m4mi 0wnz j00

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-08, 04:07   Link #31
bwaugh

Send a message via AIM to bwaugh
I've spent the last two week writing a review of Murakami's "After the quake" and now I need something light and cheerful to fill me back up again....

Thankfully someone posted this thread before I had to. I've completely run out of anime titles to download. That is, I had no idea what other series' to watch. I think I'll check out Princess Tutu, Miracle Girls and Pita Ten.

As for some of the other titles mentioned -- those that I've watched -- here's my two cents:

Full Moon wo Sagashite I was very disappointed when I had to delete this series off my hard drive, all 52 episodes. I love shows with music, and I love shows that aren't afraid of pain and heartbreak.

Nanaka 6/17 Nanaka is too cute, and I will never delete her. Although some of the characters were extraneous, like the kendo girl and her brother, it's still a well-put-together lesson in growing up well. Magical Domiko should get her own series... I'd watch it.

Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-san Comet is adorable with all her pure-hearted certainty bubbling out and infecting everyone around her. The narrator's voice is perfectly tuned to some sort of mother-frequency which reassures me that everything is right in the world. Love the animation. The nighttime scenes really feel like nighttime.

Magical Angel Creamy Mami Hey! I haven't downloaded all of these episodes yet. I forgot all about it. Another music-themed show. Infectious theme song. The first episode is way-out-there... 2001: A Space Odyssey kind of stuff, but after that it settles down a bit. A bit. Alien cats, magical accessories, a music idol rivalry, AND a crepe shop to boot.

Narutaru Very dark. Sort of answers the question, "what would really happen if children were given command of extraordinary powers?" I wish it had had a longer run.
Old 2004-02-08, 04:23   Link #32
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaugh
...Nanaka 6/17...
Shounen anime.
Quote:
Narutaru...
Shounen anime.
Old 2004-02-08, 08:38   Link #33
wao
OK.

Quote:
I love shows with music, and I love shows that aren't afraid of pain and heartbreak.

Another music-themed show.
Damn, why didn't you check out Princess Tutu earlier? You should make that a priority, at least if you love well-choreographed ballet sequences and beautiful, fitting background themes (many of which are well known classics, like Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun, The Sea and Sinbad's Ship, Swan Lake, The Great Gate of Kiev, themes from The Nutcracker, Danse Macabre, etc...) that, if you recognize, make a lot of allusions...

After all, one essential part to enjoying ballet is the music. ^_^ And boy does it have its pain and heartbreak.

Yay go Princess Tutu plug plug plug plug plug! I rewatched the whole series today again. I really should be doing my Maths homework... but there are so many allusions and themes to think about, every time I watch it I seem to notice something new. (Or maybe I'm just plain blind.)

The only thing that annoyed me in Princess Tutu was the transformation sequences. As a general rule I never had much love for mahou shoujo, but this is differennnntt... and if you don't mind transformation sequences all the better. \o/

But one thing I'm curious about, where on earth do people get the notion that Narutaru is shoujo... mahou shoujo? O___o;;; If anything it strikes me as completely different...
Old 2004-02-08, 12:26   Link #34
Iridi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But one thing I'm curious about, where on earth do people get the notion that Narutaru is shoujo... mahou shoujo? O___o;;; If anything it strikes me as completely different...
After watching the first three episodes, I thought it was Mahou Shoujo-ish.
Watching the rest, I was schooled.
Old 2004-02-09, 20:06   Link #35
bwaugh

Send a message via AIM to bwaugh
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Narutaru or Nanaka 6/17 were mahou shoujo. I was slightly off-topic, but I figured since they had been mentioned earlier in the thread I would offer my impressions to anyone else looking for new shows.

They are good shows, after all.

I've just finished downloading the first four Princess Tutu eps. I'm not sure why I never checked this series out earlier. I remember reading the AnimeNfo description a few weeks ago, thinking to myself that I would like to check it out, but I believe I was downloading Comet-san at the time and was quite satisfied with the level of cuteness in my life. Or it could have been the fact that my hard drives were all packed to capacity.

Well, let the dancing maidens begin their merriment. My papers are all done for this quarter. None of my classes have a final... It's all easy sailing from here on out.
Old 2004-02-09, 20:55   Link #36
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Quote:
Narutaru Very dark. Sort of answers the question, "what would really happen if children were given command of extraordinary powers?" I wish it had had a longer run.
I understand Narutaru is planning a second season. I didn't see any responses mention it, so.
Old 2004-02-22, 23:10   Link #37
mitszuki
nOOb

well i don't really know...you can try some of these though..

1. Magic Knight Rayearth
2. Vampire Princess Miyu

The others were already stated though..but you should try these
!!!
Old 2004-02-23, 05:41   Link #38
koji150

Send a message via AIM to koji150 Send a message via Yahoo to koji150
Mahou no Stage: Fancy Lala - Magical Stage: Fancy Lala. It's licensed by Bandai so buy the DVDs. Shiawase baramaku you ni...
Old 2004-02-25, 11:19   Link #39
ana785

i liked also angelic layer
Old 2004-02-26, 12:08   Link #40
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitszuki
2. Vampire Princess Miyu
The OAV is really nice, the TV series less so. However this is not mahou shoujo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koji150
Mahou no Stage: Fancy Lala
The only example I know of a mahou shoujo series that went direct to home media when licensed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana785
i liked also angelic layer
Shounen anime.

Just thought I'd throw Futari wa Pretty Cure in here, it's another current series available from the main site.
Closed Thread