AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-17, 11:34   Link #41
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
No seriously, exercise has been proven to be as effective in fighting mild depression as Prozac. And it's thought to be effective at keeping depression at bay in the first place aswell.
Please explain why certain sportsmen/women still suffer from depression.
Exercise is an effective way of getting over mild depression, quite simply because your body produces endorphins — natural pain killers — after a good workout. Plus, a person who is fit and healthy will tend to look and feel better as well.

Clinical depression is something much more serious altogether, and requires medical attention. Even so, I'll rather avoid drugs as far as possible. I seriously doubt the efficacy of medication in solving psychological problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Am I the only one who already thinks that going into a depression over anime is quite disturbing o.o;
Funny how no one thinks going into a depression over books is disturbing. How come someone can watch too much anime, while no one worries about reading too many books, especially if those books are horribly boring?

Still, you do raise a valid point. And, as I've stated from my very first post in this thread, it's not healthy to obsess over something. If you've grown bored of anime, it's time to move on to other hobbies. If you find yourself watching the same old stuff over and over again, it's a strong indication that you're looking for ways to kill time.

So, unkind though this may sound, I have to say again: Get yourself a new interest. If you enjoy the visual medium, try watching more movies or documentaries.

Think about the common traits between different entertainment media. Develop a greater eye for detail. Build a broader perspective on life. Seek deeper insights on human behaviour.

All these would help build your critical acumen — your ability to appreciate and critique any form of art.

Thus armed, you'd then realise that anime can be heavily overrated by its community of fans. Out of every 10 new shows, only one or two would truly break the mould.

You'd realise then how silly it is to get hung up over a medium that is essentially targeted at kids and young adults.

I'm not saying "all anime is for kids", but rather I'm trying to remind you that anime — as a platform for storytelling — has its industry-specific limitations. So, don't be alarmed if you find yourself growing bored of it. It may simply be an indication that you now hunger for something deeper and more substantial.

But once you have something to aim for, that depression will fade away. As others have suggested, depression often springs from existential angst, that gnawing feeling of wandering through life without purpose.

Therefore, while talking to others and confiding in friends will help, the final step towards full recovery has to be taken by you, and you alone.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 11:44   Link #42
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Freedom comes at a price, and those guys in the military and national security already paid for 99% of it.
*raises hand* uuhm wasn't this about depression and not about why you should join the army

And please leave the "offer their holes and our backsides" out next time, no one is trying to conquer anyone it would be a miracle if my neighbouring countries would do so again and in this country they stick their noses into other people's business just so that they can say that they agreed with the big fish, Pres Bush didn't even remember the name of our chosen minister president when he came over to visit

but any ways to TinyRedLeaf, 30 eps a day o.o; whoa when I first started watching anime I had about 1 or 2 episodes a day of currently airing series and if it were a weekend or a holiday I would watch a complete series, now I've cut back to about 4 episodes a week and the rest of the series I want to watch I watch when they're complete and when it is a free day where I don't have to worry about work or school

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Funny how no one thinks going into a depression over books is disturbing. How come someone can watch too much anime, while no one worries about reading too many books, especially if those books are horribly boring?
that I find disturbing as well
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 11:57   Link #43
Kafriel
Senior Guest

About the first post in this thread, yousaid you're worried that the anime quality will drop so you're watching re-runs. However, they seem to be getting greater ideas every year and increasing in popularity, so if you know how to choose what to watch, you'll enjoy it a lot.
(My best anime with the most smooth endings were fullmetal alchemist and code geass,I found myself very relaxed after finishing them.)
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 13:35   Link #44
oompa loompa

Quote:
Exercise is an effective way of getting over mild depression, quite simply because your body produces endorphins — natural pain killers — after a good workout. Plus, a person who is fit and healthy will tend to look and feel better as well.

Still, you do raise a valid point. And, as I've stated from my very first post in this thread, it's not healthy to obsess over something. If you've grown bored of anime, it's time to move on to other hobbies. If you find yourself watching the same old stuff over and over again, it's a strong indication that you're looking for ways to kill time.

So, unkind though this may sound, I have to say again: Get yourself a new interest. If you enjoy the visual medium, try watching more movies or documentaries.

Think about the common traits between different entertainment media. Develop a greater eye for detail. Build a broader perspective on life. Seek deeper insights on human behaviour.

All these would help build your critical acumen — your ability to appreciate and critique any form of art.

Thus armed, you'd then realise that anime can be heavily overrated by its community of fans. Out of every 10 new shows, only one or two would truly break the mould.

You'd realise then how silly it is to get hung up over a medium that is essentially targeted at kids and young adults.

I'm not saying "all anime is for kids", but rather I'm trying to remind you that anime — as a platform for storytelling — has its industry-specific limitations. So, don't be alarmed if you find yourself growing bored of it. It may simply be an indication that you now hunger for something deeper and more substantial.

But once you have something to aim for, that depression will fade away. As others have suggested, depression often springs from existential angst, that gnawing feeling of wandering through life without purpose.

Therefore, while talking to others and confiding in friends will help, the final step towards full recovery has to be taken by you, and you alone.
okay, im going to stop this now before more misconceptions happen. i was most certainly NOT in depression about anime. like i said before, it was apparently caused by a chemical imbalance, and happened about a month ago, and im better now, upto the point where i simply have to force myself into a routine to get completely back to normal. i believe thats the case as well, because to make a long story short, one morning i just woke up feeling like shit for no apparent reason - dont intend on thinking anymore whether thats the real reason or not. yes, anime is a big interest of mine, but its not the biggest. I've already fixed my other ones, i feel social around friends again, ive started playing music again, playing sports, and reading etc, and college take up enough of my time. anime on the other hand, has not come back on track, thats all. why is that? i have absolutely no idea. i enjoyed watching it a lot, i found it a great way to relax, switch off and enjoy myself a little bit - it was important because for one reason or another in my mind it was relaxing and stress relieving ( which i believe is fairly important ) - not in an obsession over it. why does it worry me so much? i dont know, the only reason that i can come up with is that i just want to go back to how i was before as fast as possible - i was very happy before, and have probably been my whole life. this was not an incredibly bad, life changing experience when i think about it. i suppose this has shown me more than ever how unprepared and fragile i am.

however, i did read my posts above and realized how idiotic i sounded, while the intention behind them was genuine, they were a little bit more.. dramatic than it really is. like xvoki said above, im not going to die without it - i do know that. im going to assume it was because i panicked.

im sorry if what i said above seemed rude. more than trying to save face, i'm just trying to clear up the misconception about me being obsessed, because you are of course correct to a large extent - the problem itself though is different - i do other things as well. perhaps i had become a little dependent on it as my form of 'escape' maybe? whether this whole episode seems stranger now doesnt really matter, i'm writing this being level headed, so i assume im being genuine to myself.

i will however most certainly take your advice and spend more time doing the other things i used to do, and perhaps find new things on the way, - there are plenty of other things that i can do. thank you for your help and advice and i honestly mean that ( i really do mean it )

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2009-02-17 at 13:54.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 13:44   Link #45
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Try reading 7 habits for highly effective people. It is so boring that I fell asleep reading half of it.

But there could be an explanation to it, and it is that animation is consisted of moving images, unlike books with just words. As your brain analyses the rapidly changing frames for content, it keeps you awake, unless it is something predictable and inexplicably dull.

And regarding anime as a form of escape, maybe you are a little too dependent on it. Go learn something new, do something different. Though I wouldn't advice you to date a girl in a recession like this. Here are some choices for you.....

1. Join a gaming clan and go for regular outings.

2. Play shooting games in the arcade. Given the credit cost and rapid reaction and coordination, it increases your mental acuity and patience over time. Watch others play, then play yourself with no continues.

3. Play soccer or basketball. It is a whole new ball game compared to anime.

4. Learn a new musical instrument. PLEASE don't tell me that none of the anime you watch has good OP or EP to put into a scoresheet.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 13:57   Link #46
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
i just want to go back to how i was before as fast as possible.
Check the spring 2009 releases thread in the general anime forum, I don't know your tastes so I can't recommend anything.
Quote:
im better now, up to the point where i simply have to force myself into a routine to get completely back to normal.
Good to know you're doing well
Quote:
thank you for your help and advice and i honestly mean that ( i really do mean it )
Anytime, you're welcome~
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 17:05   Link #47
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
one morning i just woke up feeling like shit for no apparent reason
Same thing happened to me just a couple of years ago. Then I realized I was thinking too much, and I was scaring myself so badly I couldn't sleep.

I ended up expanding my group of friends, developing new interests, and now, here I am, realizing that I still have no idea what made me suddenly feel that way so many years ago. It was as if I had a burning sense of discomfort within myself, and the things I did felt both surreal and empty.

It's normal to start feeling that way. I have no idea whether my bout of "depression" was ever a clinical problem or not, but it did last for a good couple of months.

We really do need something to ground ourselves in, though. If you've lost your interest in anime for some reason, I really don't think you should be too worried. In the end, it's just one aspect of your life, and I'm sure you'll find something else to enjoy. It's wonderful that you already have those things now, seeing what I read from your post.

Last edited by Kylaran; 2009-02-17 at 17:19.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 17:37   Link #48
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Okay, I'm curious, is the reason you aren't enjoying anime much because it just doesn't seem to distract you from being depressed?

I'm asking because I know in my own experience, I've often had times I've been in a bad mood and just can't make it through more than about half an episode of most anime in a sitting because I can't concentrate on the anime. Granted, there's the occassional anime I've found that I'm enthusiastic about to concentrate on even when I'm in a bad mood, but I would never try to rewatch a show on my own in one of these moods.

Personally, I'd try and work on getting you mood under control before trying to get back into anime. If you must try and keep watching anime, though, try and see if you can do it with friends - I've found I can enjoy anime with a group that I'd never even be able to even sit through on my own.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 17:49   Link #49
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Okay, I'm curious, is the reason you aren't enjoying anime much because it just doesn't seem to distract you from being depressed?
the reason is simple - its just me overthinking. hence, when i watch i begin to question whether i enjoy it or not etc. it not that i dont have the inclination, and its not like im forcing myself. but when i do, i overthink, cos i do that about most things right now.. for example - the last couple of weeks, even though i was sleeping better i had the same problem - i would overthink whether i could sleep enough or not ( cos i wasnt able to at all for the first few days, slowly it got better), and then wouldnt sleep - even though i was capable of it. eventually i was just driven to the point of exhaustion where i slept soundly for one night, woke up and felt the problem was gone. the only real solution i see is controlling this habit of overthinking things that ive recently developed, which i will do by trying new things - if i dont enjoy them all well and good, i can reassure myself that what i did before might have been better, - if i do enjoy them, itll take my mind of things, until/unless i begin questioning them as well.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2009-02-17 at 18:18.
Old 2009-02-17, 21:02   Link #50
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
i havnt run out of it.. far from it.. the reason i'm not happy about taking a break is because as far as im concerened theres a ton of great animes i still have to watch.. but right now, after coming through depression.. everything seems a little dull... i hope thats normal.

Then basically, find something new to do, in my experience it helps when the new thing has some relation to what you were doing before.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 21:59   Link #51
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
im sorry if what i said above seemed rude. more than trying to save face, i'm just trying to clear up the misconception about me being obsessed, because you are of course correct to a large extent - the problem itself though is different - i do other things as well... i will however most certainly take your advice and spend more time doing the other things i used to do, and perhaps find new things on the way, - there are plenty of other things that i can do. thank you for your help and advice and i honestly mean that ( i really do mean it )
It's ok. I was being quite harsh. But that's partly because I'm speaking from experience, and I can't stand people who wallow in self-pity instead of taking positive action.

Quote:
one morning i just woke up feeling like shit for no apparent reason...
Try lying in bed, wide awake, feeling absolutely nothing but the crushing desire not to get up; drifting through the days listlessly, wishing you could press a reset button. Been there, done that, kiddo. You're not alone.

But moping won't make such feelings go away. In my case, I needed a fresh start in a new environment. Wipe the slate clean and start over on something new. Don't think. Do.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 03:39   Link #52
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Please explain why certain sportsmen/women still suffer from depression.

It is all about winning and losing, and fighting spirit. Depression eats the person from inside out, and it manifests on negative emotions like a parasite. Learning to laugh at everything and everyone else in life proves to be a much better cure.

Yes, even at insensitive, sexist, racist, extremely biased jokes. It is the laugh that counts.
*high fives and points to her Carlos Mencia quote under her sig*
That dude got me through some very very dark times, he was my escapism.
(That was before youtube got taken by google and became crap *cough* i mean, "legal" by tearing down half the comedy central stuff) -.-

I guess a question I can pose to all you 'just get up and do something' people is:

If you wake up without the will to be proactive, then how can you enforce it without the will?
Kids by nature will scream 'no' if they don't want something, so in the sense that we're adults and have to 'push ourselves' when we have no desire to, what's the key moment/thing to make you break that vicious cycle within depression?

On a less serious but fairly common sense, it's like having to write and research a 10 page paper on a topic that has zero interest to you.
There's no motivation and so it gets delayed or sloppy or just not done because you had no desire for it.

As for oompa, sometimes life is like that.
Some things when we were younger we find we had more passion or zeal for than when we grow older, or get through tough experiences, sometimes some of that passion or zest for life dies out or dimmers.
It doesn't burn as often as it used to, so in those cases, I try to find and focus on things I 'love'. By engaging in things that make you smile, it may be enough to stoke the embers of your heart, so to speak.
In terms of watching anime, just keep watching.
While you may not feel as excited as you once were, if you enjoy the story and appreciate it and go with the flow of the plot (basically, if you can allow yourself to escape without worrying about how you should be escaping) then maybe a series here or there will completely and utterly grasp you like before.

If it really distresses you that you find you don't enjoy or have the passion as you once did, then let it go and move on.
"I don't seem to enjoy it anymore. Ah well, it was good while it lasted"
Maybe they'll be a time in the future when you watch some and you'll feel good about it, perhaps then you're in a more fortunate moment in your life

Eitherway, good luck ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-02-18 at 03:59.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 07:45   Link #53
Amray

Quote:
i will however most certainly take your advice and spend more time doing the other things i used to do, and perhaps find new things on the way, - there are plenty of other things that i can do. thank you for your help and advice and i honestly mean that ( i really do mean it )
That is a wise choice, sir. I would also highly recommend that you try new things and gain new hobbies. Being out and about and interacting with others is an extremely high source in the hierarchy of needs.

Also with regards to you wondering whether the exitement in anime is getting a tad lower, that is probably natural. This is likely because you state that it is a main interest of yours and you are probably becoming too familiar with it. If one sticks to the same hobbies and interests for a long period of time then it is only natural for the specified source to appear less appealing over time. The only time that I really watch anime is at night when I will only watch four or five episodes, and I read only one Manga a day. This way my interests for them will stay at a stationary level as they are not a main priority, because throughout the day I will either be outside doing something or working on college assignments. It is because I do other such things that anime remains a fun and amazing entertainment in my life and nothing more.

I hope and wish you good luck in finding something else that suits your interests.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 07:12   Link #54
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

It's good to see people here are wise, thinking people not the 2/4/6/8/10-chan people kind.
In our line I think that peer advice as such is essential. Very much so, being a counselor.

Quote:
Also with regards to you wondering whether the exitement in anime is getting a tad lower, that is probably natural. This is likely because you state that it is a main interest of yours and you are probably becoming too familiar with it.
Depends, I think that the quality of anime, as a casual viewer, [with only an average of 8 hrs of anime /week! Le Gasp!] has a widening gap - the good are really good, and the bad is crappy now.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 12:40   Link #55
oompa loompa

its been a while since ive posted on this thread .. its now been... around 3 weeks since i took a little 'break' from anime ( i started watching again a few days ago), and closing in on 2 months since my episode started. and now, since i'm better and back to watching again, i feel good, if not somewhat shaky still.. a week or so ago i did visit my doctor again, and was told there was a high chance that i had 'mild GAD' ( if 'mild' GAD counts for anything), and to check again in a month. i have stopped taking medications however, just to see if i can manage without them, and the first few days without them have been just fine - this is something i can manage on my own.

i would like to once again thank you guys for your help. this wasnt really a big deal or a particularly serious issue, but it did shake me up quite a bit. i'm more or less out of it now, and actively learning to control the anxiety, ( which im getting better and better at). in the end i was simply just overthinking, just creating problems for myself. i found quite simply - do i watch too much? no, not really.. 8-9 hours a week at most i would guess. why was i so worried? because i worry about a lot of things now .. in the next few weeks i found that if i wasnt worrying about watching what i liked it would quickly be replaced by something else - and i think ive got the idea of how to get that under control.

all in all im much much better now - thank all of you guys for your advice and reassurance, its helped. i guess my 'defense' mechanism was talking to as many people as possible, and it certainly worked here at least , and hope that other people might come here for a little extra reassurance ( it sure as hell doesnt hurt any) aside from the ones that friends & family give, if they ever face similiar problems ( which most people do)
Old 2009-03-03, 22:22   Link #56
EmP|ty
Yea!

Send a message via MSN to EmP|ty
Eh, most people i know (myself included) go through a stage where out of the blue a state of anxiety and depression hits them, at varying degrees, but if you push through it you become a better person, it throws certain things out into the open that you never noticed before, things get into perspective, if anything it is a good thing...in a fucked up way.

I wasn't here for the start of this thread, but either way i'm glad for you being happy again!
watch anime!
EmP|ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 08:18   Link #57
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmP|ty View Post
Eh, most people i know (myself included) go through a stage where out of the blue a state of anxiety and depression hits them, at varying degrees, but if you push through it you become a better person, it throws certain things out into the open that you never noticed before, things get into perspective, if anything it is a good thing...in a fucked up way.
Exactly Personaly i lived the same thing that you oompa loompa. Anxiety very very severe and i was very very stressful. It was a true hell for me and it was really hard to support. But one day, i decided to do something about that and then i went to see many specialist. Now, i'm alright and i'm really happy because just being abble to live normally for me is something great ^^

I think that the problem that i had make me realise how beautiful the live is, how lucky i'm to live in this beautiful planet. Every beautiful day, i'm happy. Just minor thing like watching the sky and all make me happy. And understand how difficult the life can be and i think because of that i understand people better than many other person
Old 2009-03-04, 16:18   Link #58
Lord Uiruu

depressed people annoy me. unless its a hot chick
then i cheer them up
Lord Uiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 16:38   Link #59
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Exactly Personaly i lived the same thing that you oompa loompa. Anxiety very very severe and i was very very stressful. It was a true hell for me and it was really hard to support. But one day, i decided to do something about that and then i went to see many specialist. Now, i'm alright and i'm really happy because just being abble to live normally for me is something great ^^

I think that the problem that i had make me realise how beautiful the live is, how lucky i'm to live in this beautiful planet. Every beautiful day, i'm happy. Just minor thing like watching the sky and all make me happy. And understand how difficult the life can be and i think because of that i understand people better than many other person
im happy for you . well, im not out of the woods just yet, but im getting there. i get the feeling that it will take a fairly long time to completely wear off, but thats not a real issue. well, it sure does make you appreciate an 'average/normal' life so much more
Old 2009-03-04, 16:49   Link #60
polaris1
nsl technologies

everything that happens in this universe happens because its supposed to. and there is wisdom to be gained with any and all situations and circumstances (there is nothing more valuable in life) most time depression is a result of only seeing the negative in things. reality is perception. change the way u perceive things, and perhaps u could enjoy a cold glass of lemonade instead of making sour faces from sucking on a lemon. the road of life isnt always paved... knowing when to wear shoes is the key to making ur journey less painful
polaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, sad