Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-28, 22:56   Link #721
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
It was about time they do something else than milk their Haruhi and K-on franchises or make the next slice of life/comedy series. Kyoani is a good adaptation studio so as long as their A-team is on it, should be at least a decent watch. I am however, expecting complete moeificaiton of the novel character designs.
Old 2011-11-28, 22:57   Link #722
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm skeptical, but I'll be cautiously optimistic.
Old 2011-11-29, 00:48   Link #723
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
It was about time they do something else than milk their Haruhi and K-on franchises or make the next slice of life/comedy series.
The Haruhi franchise has hardly been "milked". That franchise, as an anime, has been around since 2006 and thus far we've seen, in essence, a two-cour anime (the entirety of the 2009 airing, which includes the 2006 episodes in it) and one movie. Also, there's loads of Haruhi novel material left to adapt.

If anything, Kyoto Animation has been slow in continuing the Haruhi anime franchise, the very opposite of "milking it".

I, for one, will be very disappointed if we don't get more Haruhi animated material soon.

I'm glad that the next Kyoto Animation project is a light novel adaptation instead of a 4Koma adaptation, however.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:05   Link #724
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Haruhi franchise has hardly been "milked". That franchise, as an anime, has been around since 2006 and thus far we've seen, in essence, a two-cour anime (the entirety of the 2009 airing, which includes the 2006 episodes in it) and one movie. Also, there's loads of Haruhi novel material left to adapt.

If anything, Kyoto Animation has been slow in continuing the Haruhi anime franchise, the very opposite of "milking it".

I, for one, will be very disappointed if we don't get more Haruhi animated material soon.
We had this discussion and argument before so I'm not going to repeat it again other than the comment that Haruhi in comparison to other big name franchises has gotten pretty damn good treatment considering there has been 2 Haruhi related material in the last 2 years. This is not counting that OVA parody either.

My comment was more related at the fact that I'm -glad- that Kyoani is stepping out of their comfort zone and adapting something that is not Haruhi, K-on, Key or the cute girls doing cute things/parody/gag etc.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:11   Link #725
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
No, we won't, and this confirms it. I think I'm done with this studio.
Quote:

See this:
Quote:
Uh what? Disappearance was just last year and Season 2 was 09. That's only a year between seasons, which is pretty damn short considering some other franchises that needed sequels way sooner. Shana is an example. S1 in 2004-5, S2 in 2007 and S3 only just now.
I, despite all my love for the series, can wait another year or two before another season. The Haruhi franchise has strong lasting value so I highly doubt that it will be abandoned.

Quote:
So, basically instead of animating Haruhi (which everyone wants) we get a weak Haruhi clone (which no one wants).
Don't make assumptions about everyone. I've personally wanted KyoAni to try something new that was a step above Nichijou in terms of breaking their "formula", and it looks like they might be doing just that.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:13   Link #726
brocko

You could probably argue that they've been milking Haruhi in the sense that they've resold the 1st 2006 series by bundling it with the 2009 series. Don't forget the games too, hell there've been like 8 different games released so far compared to the three different animation works. But that's more to do with the franchise as a whole and less with KyoAni so i digress

If they're not planning on touching Haruhi for a while though, then I think it'd be pretty nice if they'd make some OVA's to fill up the downtime, the Haruhi Theatre acts would be perfect for this

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-11-29 at 01:26.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:21   Link #727
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

It is puzzling that Kadokawa is going for something in the vein of Gosick again when that show(although loved by some of us here on animesuki) wasn't a success for them, and they are not utilizing something that would almost practicially guarantee themselves a hit with Haruhi.

If this flops like Nichijou, then you could almost pencil in Little Busters being animated since KyoAni would need a hit to save face and Little Busters has the built-in Key audience.

I am still hoping however that this mystery anime is a Fall 2012 anime.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:28   Link #728
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
We had this discussion and argument before so I'm not going to repeat it again other than the comment that Haruhi in comparison to other big name franchises has gotten pretty damn good treatment considering there has been 2 Haruhi related material in the last 2 years.
Hidamari, Natsume's Book of Friends, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I, despite all my love for the series, can wait another year or two before another season.
If there was a good a time as ever to release more material it would be now. Vol. 10/11 did absurdly well and the series is still very much alive in the public consciousness. If they wait another year it simply won't do as well.

Also I'm not exactly getting any younger.

Quote:
Don't make assumptions about everyone. I've personally wanted KyoAni to try something new that was a step above Nichijou in terms of breaking their "formula", and it looks like they might be doing just that.
Nichijou, which I enjoyed immensely, completely broke their formula. It was a Shaft anime with a budget, essentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
It is puzzling that Kadokawa is going for something in the vein of Gosick again when that show(although loved by some of us here on animesuki) wasn't a success for them, and they are not utilizing something that would almost practicially guarantee themselves a hit with Haruhi.
Their best-selling show this year was a yaoi show. That says something.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:34   Link #729
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since KyoAni makes basically one anime at a time, you have to wonder if they have a waiting list. Then you have to wonder how long that list is. Then you have to wonder if trends can alter that list. While I doubt the Producers pay that much attention to things like Saimoe, they might be seeing a trend away from the slice of life/moe styled anime and into something else. That or KyoAni wants to try other things to increase business. Nichijou, dispite its sales failure, was a very well animated show. (That I enjoyed)

Little Busters (assuming they can overcome some game related pacing isssues) might be on their list someplace along with Haruhi, Full Metal Panic and the like. Or they have decided the trend is too far away from some of those titles and won't produce them until the trend goes back. Haruhi and I suppose Little Busters will have an audiance still, Full Metal Panic may have lost its audiance in the last half decade since the Tessa OVA. Though that might depends on the sales of the new novel series and things.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:42   Link #730
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
We had this discussion and argument before so I'm not going to repeat it again other than the comment that Haruhi in comparison to other big name franchises has gotten pretty damn good treatment...
No, it hasn't.

Nanoha has had three separate anime seasons totaling four cours worth of content, one movie, and another movie is on the way.

Shakugan no Shana has had two separate anime seasons, one anime film, 4 OVA episodes, and is currently in a third season, totaling over six cours worth of content.

The Familiar of Zero has had numerous anime seasons, and is about to get a final one, totaling over four cours worth of content.

Clannad had two 2-cour anime shows, as well as at least a couple OVAs, and is entirely completed.

K-On had two separate anime seasons, totaling three cours worth of content, and has a movie on the way (this is why I didn't disagree with you on K-On being milked).

Bakemonogatari first aired in 2009, and its already slated for another TV anime show as well as a movie.

Madoka Magica is not even a year old yet, and its already slated for a movie trilogy.

Tiger and Bunny is also not even a year old yet, and its already slated for a couple movies, IIRC.

To say that Haruhi has had good treatment compared to other big name franchises is simply false. That's partly why I'm growing impatient with it. If it was being adapted at the industry standard pace for big name anime franchises, I'd be fine with it. But it's being adapted slower than that.

Quote:

I, despite all my love for the series, can wait another year or two before another season. The Haruhi franchise has strong lasting value so I highly doubt that it will be abandoned.
Why should Haruhi fans have to wait longer than the fans of all the other big name franchises I've listed above?

To a great extent, I'm with Kaisos.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-11-29 at 01:52.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:52   Link #731
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
If there was a good a time as ever to release more material it would be now. Vol. 10/11 did absurdly well and the series is still very much alive in the public consciousness. If they wait another year it simply won't do as well.

Also I'm not exactly getting any younger.
Nice use of facts. Okay, I can agree with you on that. Haruhi will almost certainly still sell in 2013+, though. Consider how the fanbase ate up the second season's BDs despite the inclusion of the notorious Endless Eight on top of a 3-year delay. I'm not saying it's desirable to delay a third season, but it can, and almost surely will, still be done.

Quote:
Nichijou, which I enjoyed immensely, completely broke their formula. It was a Shaft anime with a budget, essentially.
It was still a slice-of-life, though a very unique, off-beat slice-of-life. Nothing against slice-of-life anime, but if Hyou-Ka is a full-on mystery series, it would be refreshing for me.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:17   Link #732
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Nice use of facts. Okay, I can agree with you on that. Haruhi will almost certainly still sell in 2013+, though. Consider how the fanbase ate up the second season's BDs despite the inclusion of the notorious Endless Eight on top of a 3-year delay. I'm not saying it's desirable to delay a third season, but it can, and almost surely will, still be done.
The second season's BDs didn't sell half of what the first season's did.

Quote:
It was still a slice-of-life, though a very unique, off-beat slice-of-life.
Not at all, it was a gag anime.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:19   Link #733
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
The second season's BDs didn't sell half of what the first season's did.
Well, considering what they were buying for most of it, I think the shame here is that they even managed to sell half.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-29, 02:24   Link #734
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't consider Nichijou to be "slice of life". It is just a comedy. A Sitcom/gag/sketch comedy at the most since the two main setting were the school and the lab, but there were other places as well
Old 2011-11-29, 02:33   Link #735
brocko

^ You forgot the home unless that's what you meant by the lab lol

Quote:
Why should Haruhi fans have to wait longer than the fans of all the other big name franchises I've listed above?
Because the studio responsible for it works slow as hell and chooses not to burn through everything all at once. They also couldn't do anything this year anyway since 2011 was already planned out and Aya Hirano was locked out for VA work or something along those lines. For all we know they could have something planned for 2012 and just havn't announced it yet. Just sit tight and they'll get around to it eventually. Demanding and complaining about it isn't going to help and is rather a immature way to go about it imo, especially when other franchises have been treated far worse (not aiming this last sentence at Triple_R or anyone in particular btw, just saying it in general).

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:41   Link #736
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's more that KyoAni has a tendency to generate a lot of hype about their next work, while knowing that a lot of people want a new Haruhi season. It's dishonest.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:45   Link #737
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

Because the studio responsible for it works slow as hell
Two of the examples of quickly adapted series I provided are KyoAni ones.

It's unfortunately true that they do very little overall, but they've shown the capability to adapt key properties at a decent (if not very fast) pace when they put their minds to it.

Quote:
and chooses not to burn through everything all at once.
This isn't even a concern worth raising, as only 4 of 10 Haruhi novels have been fully adapted, IIRC. This for an anime franchise that is already five years old.

Anime shows can eventually wear out their welcome, or fall out of fandom consciousness, as time goes by. How many active anime fans are going to be caring about Haruhi in 2 or 3 years time, barring more Haruhi anime between now and then? I think that's an open and legitimate question.

Kaisos is right about how now would be the time to strike with more Haruhi anime content, while the iron is hot due to the recent novel releases.

Quote:
They also couldn't do anything this year anyway since 2011 was already planned out and Aya Hirano was locked out for VA work or something along those lines.
I didn't mind no Haruhi in 2011, as the movie came out in 2010. It's been my observation that the standard adaptation pace for big name anime franchises is more content on a bi-annual basis. That's all I'm asking for with Haruhi: the industry standard. I don't think that's an unreasonable or "immature" request.

Quote:
For all we know they could have something planned for 2012 and just havn't announced it yet.
Hopefully so, but there's reason to be skeptical, given that all KyoAni did from Winter 2011 to Fall 2011 was one property, Nichijou.

Quote:
especially when other franchises have been treated far worse (not aiming this last sentence at Triple_R or anyone in particular, just saying it in general).
Of franchises that were hit sellers, which have fared worse?
Old 2011-11-29, 02:46   Link #738
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well we know they are doing a show next year. We don't know when that show is suppose to come out (Spring assumed).

We know KyoAni can do at least two seasons worth of work a year plus a movie, at that is what they did in both 2010 and 2011 (released two seasons worth of K-On!! and the Haruhi movie in 2010 and two seasons worth of Nichijou plus the K-On movie in 2011. Plus OVAs of K-On and Nichijou). 2009 was a mess of work for them with the finish of Clannad (plus Kyou OVA), A season's worth of work for Munto TV and its movie, the two Haruhi-based Web series, a sesons worth of Haruhi, and a seasons worth of K-On!. That seemed to overtax them a little...mainly because most of the work on the Haruhi movie was likely done in 2009 as well while Clannad After Story was worked on in 2008 save maybe the OVA.

K-On making it big I think caught them offguard so they may have adjusted thing for 2010. Interesting that they dropped 801-chan I suppose in favor of K-On, and that worked out for them.

Thus depending on how long their new mystery series is will deturmine if they have more projects later in 2012.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:49   Link #739
brocko

Quote:
It's more that KyoAni has a tendency to generate a lot of hype about their next work, while knowing that a lot of people want a new Haruhi season. It's dishonest.
What they did with the second season was bad. Where they teased and advertised it in 2007, only to go silent for next two whole years with nothing to show for it.

I havn't been following Haruhi or KyoAni all that closely in recent history tbh but this announcement or another Haruhi anime wasn't and hasn't really all that hyped/teased about was it?

Old 2011-11-29, 02:50   Link #740
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Pretty sure I'm hearing more "Please animate Little Busters" than "Please animate more Haruhi." Or the "FFS, Get a move on with FMP". Not saying Haruhi, FMP, Key VN adaptations are better than one another, but my point they all have fanbases and they all have been waiting.

And what's so bad about doing something different. Kyoani gets as much flak as praise for being labelled a "cash-cow milking" studio (since all their works are heavily moe), so could prove to be an argument to counter that notion.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios