AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-16, 17:41   Link #41
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Firstly I was expecting to see Bold Text some where : Sponsored By Board of Canadian Tourism .

That being said really well done show I like I like . I love the way they use color shades to signify the general mood of the show . Albeit at start it did look creepy as it reminded me of Ghouls and undead . But later on you get used to it . The artwork is extremely superior though we are distracted by disproportional humans if we stare a bit and then we notice the backgrounds . The backgrounds and sceneries are very explicit, beautiful can I say that ? . As though browsing this .

Love the moody feel of the show generated by shades and characters . As its the first episode I will says it was an introduction episode . I really liked the character Yaichi , his creepy vibes and laid back attitude are the best . Probably will go on to become one of my all times favorite characters . Yeah I agree with everyone with regards to ED . It feels out of place and disco died in 80s . More evidence its them Canadians (I Kid I Kidd ) . Personally though I feel they were pulling Ayakashi . Old and New, traditional show with hip-hop beats .

Looking forward to the second episode .
Old 2010-04-16, 18:01   Link #42
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Agreed. And about Yaichi, it's not just his personality, his chara design is also very reminiscent of Ginko with the white hair and green eyes. Takahiro Sakurai is indeed great... I've loved him ever since Mononoke. One of the very male voice actors I think can sound very... sexy.
Yaichi definitely has something about him and it aint just his sexy voice I had no idea TakaSaku was him until he talked and I hit the roof!! Btwn this and UraBoku Im a happy Sakurai fangirl
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 20:55   Link #43
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Agreed. And about Yaichi, it's not just his personality, his chara design is also very reminiscent of Ginko with the white hair and green eyes. Takahiro Sakurai is indeed great... I've loved him ever since Mononoke. One of the very male voice actors I think can sound very... sexy.
In a sense you get a mixture of Mononoke & Mushishi because you get a character that resembles Ginko in looks with the Medicine Seller's voice.
Old 2010-04-17, 01:31   Link #44
NakedAngelX

This is my 5th time rewatching the OP, it's very smoothly done. Got a calm and refreshing feeling to it, especially at the beginning.

Quickly went through the first episode and it seems the OP doesn't fit the show at all
Old 2010-04-17, 11:43   Link #45
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAngelX View Post
This is my 5th time rewatching the OP, it's very smoothly done. Got a calm and refreshing feeling to it, especially at the beginning.
I think Im on my 12th time repeating the OP, I really love it. Yeah it doesnt fit the show but thats fine by me
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-18, 08:32   Link #46
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Finally got round to watching this, and like most people here, am really liking it so far.

Loved the opening, which, though odd, fits much better than the one to a certain period anime from last year. The art is also growing on me, and I'm not expecting flashy fights, since that's not what real life fights would have been like anyway.

But most of all, I'm hooked by the characters. Yaichi is really charismatic, mysteriously so, and I'm looking forward to finding out more about him. Also very glad that Sakurai Takahiro has another juicy role this season but I was once again stumped by Namikawa Daisuke's chameleon-like ability - I couldn't identify Akitsu with Kimi no Todoke's Kazehaya at all.

And those flashbacks were rather interesting...

p.s. Is this season full of strange previews, or is it just the shows I'm watching? First Uraboku and now Saraiya Goyou - although I didn't LOL at the former's...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 12:15   Link #47
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

This show seems so good to me that it weirds me out that the audience didn't like it. But perhaps it's due to the fact that the strange (but now wonderful, to me) look is not coupled with anything more immediately attractive to the target audience, such as the reverse harem and Italy aspects of Ristorante Paradiso.
It was kind of slow and boring compared to other titles out there. (I took a break and got a snack to keep from dozing off.) I can understand the 1.5 rating it got.

It does have potential and it was a good episode nonetheless so I'll keep watching it. Medicine Seller's seiyuu is another reason for me to stay with it.
Old 2010-04-18, 12:41   Link #48
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It was kind of slow and boring compared to other titles out there....
Lol. Everyone sees things differently. I was riveted the whole time. The 24 minutes just flew by. I guess I can see what you mean -- although I didn't feel any of that myself. Maybe it was the mood or feeling, the aesthetic of it, that pulled me in. As it was with another unpopular recent show I loved, Vampire Bund. Or maybe it was the interesting moral trajectory. Sometimes I find liking or disliking a show so inexplicable. And I keep being struck by the fact that I can like many of the same shows as another person, and then completely differ on other shows.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 12:47   Link #49
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It was kind of slow and boring compared to other titles out there. (I took a break and got a snack to keep from dozing off.) I can understand the 1.5 rating it got.
The low rating means that people never watched the first episode to begin with. They just weren't interested.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 17:00   Link #50
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

I'm not dismissing the very likely possiblity that interest for this show just isn't there but right now I personally think the low rating was more a result of what this comment by Ahuri on MAL (found in the link Shiroth provided us earlier) pointed out rather than just the lack of interest or the unattractive art design (not imo but to the average viewer ).

Quote:
The poor rating hardly came off as a surprise to me when I read it on 2ch earlier, but the apology definitely does.

The result was IMO far from unpredictable - the decision of showing the live show pushing Saraiya Goyou 15 minutes later was fairly stupid. Leaving aside the fact that it probably was boring (I haven't seen it myself), noitaminA ratings depend on the time of broadcast much more than shows with otaku appeal. The delay also made Saraiya Goyou go up against Oofuri (showing from 1:40 to 2:10 am), which has a fairly huge fanbase and scored 2.9% last night. TBS has Fuji TV completely beat on this one.

The real deal starts next week once Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei starts. But once again Yamamoto also should've worked on launching the two shows on the same day, it'd have made for a stronger impression.
To add to that comment, Durarara!! also airs at the exact same time Ookiku Furikabutte does on a different channel. So yeah...potential double whammy there for this show by pushing it back like that. Next week will probably give us a better idea of how well recieved it really is.

Anyway this first episode wasn't slow at all for me either. More than enough happened in the episode for me to be satisfied and while I'm still not entirely sure where they plan on going with this show (havn't read the manga myself) thus far I'm enjoying it enough to stick with it.
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 22:29   Link #51
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I notice that there are no fansubs available for this show so far. (The remixed raw with Funi's subs doesn't qualify.) I'd be happy to let my computer "watch" this show with the commercials on Funi while I watch the fansubs, just as I've done with Erin on Crunchyroll.

I find the commercial insertion in Funi's stream a bit jarring. I'd be fine if they showed an ad at the natural midpoint break, with ones after the OP and between the ED and the teaser. I'd be happy with two ads in the midpoint if necessary. Unfortunately they chose to insert an ad that broke up the natural rhythm of the show in the first third of the episode. And, of course, we have to see Funi's logo throughout.

(I also have the absurd Hulu 64-bit Linux problem to contend with, so I have to watch this show in a virtual machine running Windows.)

I'm withholding judgment on the show itself until I see another episode or two. I'm not a big fan of the character models myself, but I won't let that stand in the way of my watching this show, if only to listen to Sakurai. By my count this is at least his third Noitamina role along with the Medicine Seller and Genji.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 01:19   Link #52
solomon

I'd be very wary of making any connections between what we anime nerds think and what the general 20 something Japanese tv viewer thinks in regards to the rating. Albiet it is rather low, then again Kuuchuu Buranko didn't set the world on fire either. And it's still the first episode, so....

Anyways, I liked it. Manglobe is back (didn't care for Blacksmith). I had no idea that was Daisuke Namikawa in there until I read it, it's impossible to mistake Sakurai though.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 13:00   Link #53
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Watching epi 2, I love the pacing of this show, its so calm so far. Also love the bg music.

Spoiler for epi 2:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-22, 13:26   Link #54
Kirarakim

I watched the 2nd episode through Funi's site and I didn't get any commercial interruptions. That's really strange that some people would get the commercials and others wouldn't. Unless my ad blocker also blocks out streaming commercials but I somehow doubt that.

Anyways my favorite things about this series is definitely the art design. The backgrounds are all so gorgeous.
Old 2010-04-22, 13:38   Link #55
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I watched the 2nd episode through Funi's site and I didn't get any commercial interruptions.
Apparently there are no commercials in this episode, nor is it streamed via hulu. When I open episode one, it plays in the hulu player; episode two plays in Funi's normal flash player (which doesn't have the fershlugginer 64-bit problem hulu has).

Maybe so few people watched the first episode that they couldn't get any advertisers for episode two? That would be a shame, but not a surprise, I'm afraid.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 13:38   Link #56
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I blame Funi for blocking me from watching it.
Old 2010-04-22, 13:42   Link #57
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Apparently there are no commercials in this episode, nor is it streamed via hulu. When I open episode one, it plays in the hulu player; episode two plays in Funi's normal flash player (which doesn't have the fershlugginer 64-bit problem hulu has).

Maybe so few people watched the first episode that they couldn't get any advertisers for episode two? That would be a shame, but not a surprise, I'm afraid.
Oh I see, although I am almost 100% positive I didn't have any commercials for the 1st episode either. I watched that one through Funi's youtube page though. I am not sure if that made the difference.
Old 2010-04-22, 14:54   Link #58
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I watched the 2nd episode through Funi's site and I didn't get any commercial interruptions. That's really strange that some people would get the commercials and others wouldn't. Unless my ad blocker also blocks out streaming commercials but I somehow doubt that.
Thats weird since I watched it via the offical site and kept getting Verizon commericals...kinda annoying but in the end it was worth it to see the epi. Maybe next time Ill try Funi's Youtube page.

Quote:
Anyways my favorite things about this series is definitely the art design. The backgrounds are all so gorgeous.
Definitely the bg art and music are simply wonderful.

Edit: Time for avy change though it was hard giving up Celty.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-22, 20:52   Link #59
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Funny how my situation was the opposite
I watched both on Funi's site.
First episode was ad free for me, second episode played in the hulu player with ads of course.
Weird.

Aside from that, I found episode 2 pretty ok.
I'm all up for interesting character development but I may find this series a bit too boring for my tastes. In no way, is it a bad show, I can see the appeal but it's just so...bland. I'll give it one more episode though, just to make sure.

At least the music is good.

Last edited by Starry Dust; 2010-04-22 at 21:30.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 22:43   Link #60
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I blame Funi for blocking me from watching it.
Haha. Strangely enough, I'm blocked too. This show is pretty damn scarce.

Managed to catch episode 2 somehow though.

I like the OP. Incomprehensibly untranslated though it is, I somehow get the impression that it does suit the show that follows it.

As for the show itself. I'm pretty neutral on the character designs. Wouldn't really say I like them or dislike them. The backgrounds and other details are pretty impressive though. This show is certainly high tier for this season visually.

Episode 1 ended on a weird note. Masa instinctively rejected the kidnapping group based on moral reasons. That rejection extends into episode 2. Yet he chases after Yaichi on the bridge, implicating that Okinu's description of their origins made him understand them. Moral rejection of a criminal group of kidnappers? Fascination with the dubious man clearly in charge of it? The author is a woman, right? :P

In episode 2, Ume quickly becomes the least interesting character--secretly in love with Otake, impotently angry and possessive because of it. Masa himself is weakly blown around by nearly everything. Yaichi notes Masa got drawn in without him even having to do anything; is what's interesting about Masa his weakness, his malleability? Not that I'm calling Yaichi unoriginal or anything, but he's a character type I recognize.

Matsu is the character I enjoyed most about episode 2. Not for the minor revelation that he is, in fact, the fifth member. Moreso for his impassivity. Despite Ume's advantage in build, Matsu is the more solid personality for sure.

Anyway. This is manglobe, and besides that the show's yaoi-authoress mangaka clearly knows what she's doing. Frankly though, as a guy, I prefer yuri for my gender-equal character dramas. I'll keep watching this because I know it's good, but I don't think I'll be gushing over it.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jidaigeki, manglobe, noitamina, seinen