AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-11, 09:38   Link #61
JokerD

I noticed he has a tendency to go for the 'Perfect Victory' scenario where everyone's whole and happy, this should be the case for Shinobu as well, even when it is the harder route. This can be seen in Sengoku's arc where his disappointed he could not save the caster of the curse as well.

Quite a typical guy I guess, going for the best ending.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:48   Link #62
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler:

Yeah I'm just kind of catching up to everything said .

I'm not so sure he'll make that kind of call. I mean he said himself the Kaiis were always there. Besides he's willing to be involved with Senjougahara. Sure he tries to take care of things without getting her involved but, being with her means she will be involved. If he's willing to still be with Senjougahara then I can't see him rejecting children for that same reason. Also isn't it that he can't protect others because he's part oddity not thanks to it? He said himself he can't become like Oshino because he's 1/10 oddity. So wouldn't becoming 100% human again actually allow him to help people better and protect those around him better? Being a physical shield clearly can only do so much.

I have no idea how things will end for Araragi. Really things seem to be pushing him to realizing he can't just try to help everyone. He needs to pick and choose what's important to him and focus on that. I'd like for things to end well for everyone but that doesn't seem possible. If he decides to keep Shinobu at a high importance level then he can't let her die. Which means he can't really help people as much as he would like. If your right and he will constantly be involved with the oddities then it's almost demanded he let Shinobu go. Since Oshino won't be around forever he'll have to resolve the problems himself. But he won't be able to do that unless he's not an oddity.

Seems like he's at a crossroad and has to make a choice. If he keeps going as he is then eventually he'll get too involved in something and get himself killed. I really only see those two paths for him. The body he has is handy but it clearly is limited and can't solve everything. What goes on in Araragi's mind is beyond me. He has to make a choice about what he wants to do.
Spoiler:
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 14:02   Link #63
xYuki
P.A.N.D.O.R.A
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to xYuki
aryayagi-kun (i stutter) LOL
xYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 06:59   Link #64
JokerD

Let's see, according to this: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/1...trap-top-rank/ Arragi comes in at 2nd at light novel char in 2010, btw Hitagi is no 12...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 03:44   Link #65
Maiku-kun
The Rider

from the episodes ive seen, i really like araragi, although he is on the anti-social side, he really goes out of his way to help total strangers just because he feels the need to help those who are in trouble, its an admirable trait
Maiku-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 20:20   Link #66
Majesty
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Majesty
I always admired how unusually good natured Araragi seems to be. For what are usually very droll, run-of-the-mill "main guy" characters in high school anime stories, he stands out while still being a little incognito. He seems to go very far out of his way to help people and not in an annoying "I'M THE HERO" fashion. It's as though it's second nature to him and he really doesn't think about it or is possibly even aware of it... it is apparent Senjougahara sees this and it's some of what she loves in him.

Spoiler:

...And let's not forget ahoge appeal.

Last edited by Majesty; 2010-02-24 at 21:07.
Majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 22:37   Link #67
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
I always admired how unusually good natured Araragi seems to be. For what are usually very droll, run-of-the-mill "main guy" characters in high school anime stories, he stands out while still being a little incognito. He seems to go very far out of his way to help people and not in an annoying "I'M THE HERO" fashion. It's as though it's second nature to him and he really doesn't think about it or is possibly even aware of it... it is apparent Senjougahara sees this and it's some of what she loves in him.

Spoiler:

...And let's not forget ahoge appeal.
Well, i don't think that it was unintentional. One thing people seems to not realize is that Araragi sees his life as nothing. Another thing is that he also doesn't realize the importance of his life to other people. To him, he is just a thing just waiting to be sacrifice for the well-being of others.

Spoiler:

Since the anime is only thing some people have to analysis his character I guess only this much is understandable. But believe me when I say this, Araragi is EMO as hell in Kizu. If it wasn't for the fact that he met Kiss and Hanekawa I think he would be cutting his waist.
Old 2010-02-25, 03:00   Link #68
Clarste
Human

I don't think you can blame the anime for that. I thought it was quite clear that he had roughly zero self-esteem, or more like he lacks the consciousness that he's also a part of the world. As I said in my first post in this topic, he lacks a stake in himself.

Anyway, I think the anime conveyed that properly, although maybe it was subtler than it was in the novel? A lot of things are subtle in this series though, so I think it could be expected that we'll look for them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 15:51   Link #69
Majesty
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Majesty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I don't think you can blame the anime for that. I thought it was quite clear that he had roughly zero self-esteem, or more like he lacks the consciousness that he's also a part of the world. As I said in my first post in this topic, he lacks a stake in himself.

Anyway, I think the anime conveyed that properly, although maybe it was subtler than it was in the novel? A lot of things are subtle in this series though, so I think it could be expected that we'll look for them.
I do think it was more subtle but it was still conveyed well. I was never under the impression he had anything less than poor self-esteem, hence the roots of some of his actions. For the anime, I think the sort of "endless banter" scenes would casually reveal quite a lot about Araragi and his nature.

I have wondered how someone who read the novels first would compare the books dialogue to the sometimes surreal ramblings of the anime. Would any of you say they're significantly more clear about Araragi in them or are they really both about the same in being "subtle"?
Majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 16:36   Link #70
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
I do think it was more subtle but it was still conveyed well. I was never under the impression he had anything less than poor self-esteem, hence the roots of some of his actions. For the anime, I think the sort of "endless banter" scenes would casually reveal quite a lot about Araragi and his nature.

I have wondered how someone who read the novels first would compare the books dialogue to the sometimes surreal ramblings of the anime. Would any of you say they're significantly more clear about Araragi in them or are they really both about the same in being "subtle"?
Well, his emoness wasn't that severe in Bake but in Kizu he might as well be listening to Lincoln Park.
Old 2010-03-05, 20:37   Link #71
onehp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
You gotta hand it to this guy- he's got a beauty of a girlfriend, who also is a __dere... I doubt any of us would be able to handle her like he does

and let's not forget the fire sisters of his either. Damn, do we envy of pity this guy?
Senjougahara Hitagi's personality is just an obstacle to the ultimate goal of anything involving romantic interests in animes: a more intimate relationship. The writer is just tired of the easy personality types.
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 21:22   Link #72
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehp View Post
Senjougahara Hitagi's personality is just an obstacle to the ultimate goal of anything involving romantic interests in animes: a more intimate relationship. The writer is just tired of the easy personality types.
im also tired of seeing the same stereotype personalities in female characters and i thought Hitagi was a breath of fresh air in that aspect and its great to see a very original character with a very interesting personality.
Old 2010-09-01, 23:44   Link #73
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

wow...all gone

erm, I know this might be better in the relevant character thread, but just in case more people have this thread in subscriptions etc...

In a recent online survey by Dengeki (bunshou?) about characters you'd want to try having as a friend, 5th place went to...Araragi Koyomi.

Spoiler for full list in English & my reaction:

Thoughts? Comments?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-09-02 at 17:25. Reason: Let's keep it here, okay?
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 03:07   Link #74
Kenn
Stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
wow...all gone

erm, I know this might be better in the relevant character thread, but just in case more people have this thread in subscriptions etc...

In a recent online survey by Dengeki (bunshou?) about characters you'd want to try having as a friend, 5th place went to...Araragi Koyomi.

Spoiler for full list in English & my reaction:

Thoughts? Comments?
I'd love Vamp as a friend. He'd be one of the most helpful friends I have. Sure Arararararagi's pretty funny doing his retorts and whatnots, but General Vamp's house wife credentials and hilarious 'evilness' win for me.

http://k625.blogspot.com/ - Kenn's blog of random everythings
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 05:30   Link #75
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I'd never be Koyomi's friend - I'd be too jealous of him, plus Hitagi would catch my lustful glances at her everytime I'm with them.

Pre-Hitagi - wouldn't work either. I'm an introvert like Koyomi, so none of us would bother starting a conversation. But maybe we could have started a perverts' circle together...
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 00:59   Link #76
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I have been getting on the Ore no imouto train lately and I couldn't help but compare Kyosuke with Araragi. I mean they both have strained relationships with their sisters yet it all seems so different. First of all Karen and Tsukihi actually makes an efforts to try to be close to Araragi like waking him up in the morning while Kirino is totally indifferent. Kyosuke plays eroge games with Kirino while Araragi plays the toothbrush game. With that being said it gives me conflicting feeling about the future. I mean Ore no imouto seems like its leading up to the Koi Kaze direction yet with Monogatari it seems more like just a joke. Although I'm a lot more incline to believe that Araragi would mess around with his sisters a lot more. I mean Araragi was already "this" close to hitting a homerun. The one series where we get a brother feeling up his sister and they'll never end up together, yet with another series we get a brother who keeps saying he hates his sister yet more likely to go for the "happy end."
Old 2010-10-12, 20:46   Link #77
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

So I'm not the only one who keeps hearing Kamiya Hiroshi's incredulity in Kyousuke?
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 02:56   Link #78
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Now that the Nise anime is finished. Let's talk about the issue of Koyomi's faithfulness for his girlfriend.

He loves Hitagi but he fools around with other girls sooooooo much.

Spoiler for His expliots:

Last edited by omimon; 2012-03-20 at 08:30.
Old 2012-03-20, 07:50   Link #79
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Koyomi is just a confused little guy. Someone needs to slap some sense into him. I feel he needs to go on a "journey" of self discovery, maybe even more so than Hanekawa needs to. That is, provided that he even wants to figure out his "love life" (I'm still not sure who he "loves" and in what way), which is nothing sort of complicated.

Obviously as a reader who doesn't understand Japanese, my picture of Koyomi is limited at best. I really don't know who he really is. I'm not too sure if he knows either.

The full (and satisfactory) resolution of the above will probably come near the end of the series.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 08:58   Link #80
Forsaken_Infinity

Bah I could care less about him.

I want to see more of him during his transition from middle school good boy to high school emo though. Because that's roughly a transition I had to go through as well. I doubt the series will ever go into that any deeper though