AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-06-26, 16:53   Link #721
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I watched Switzerland and Ukraine game just to see Switzerland eliminiated and I got what I wanted (a nice present for Blatter). Other than that, there was not many things worth commenting for. It was a fairly boring and mechanical game. Shevchenko is the only player worth watching but he couldn't show his brilliance thanks to his not very talented teammates.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 18:24   Link #722
AnimeFangirl

Of all countries in the world, why'd it have to be Brazil?
Old 2006-06-26, 20:38   Link #723
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Of all countries in the world, why'd it have to be Brazil?
I'd take Brazil (in addition to Argentina) over any other team in the tournament to see in the final, because of the possibility of showing a much better and exciting football than the others. From Europe, not many teams I'd like to see there, Czechs maybe but they are not in anymore, Portugal might be another possibility.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 21:15   Link #724
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I'm pretty happy for Ukraine. It's awesome for a country that appears for the first time to be able to flaunt their making it to the quarter-finals. As fond as I am of the team, I do realize that it's not a very good one, so I can't see them winning with Italy. Still. Go go Ukraine~!

More realistically, go Ghana tomorrow!!

Just kidding. Though it will make a very, very interesting match. Now that Gian and Muntari, the two players that played such a large part in destroying the Czech Republic, will be back in (albeit Essein will be out), though, I'd say they are one of the few teams that can actually stop Brazil. They have pretty much nothing to lose, too. Who would've thought that Ghana would make it out of a group in which the other teams were Italy, USA, and the Czechs? They'll be relaxed and will play to the best of their ability. Brazil failed to impress me in their matches with both Croatia and Australia, though they did get the best of Japan. Nevertheless, I can't wait for this game.

Spain'll probably take France no problem.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 21:45   Link #725
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
All im interested in is a good game, so in regards of t he "why Brazil?" comment, i agree. Why Brazil? They have yet to show why they were champions, the games they played have been, frankly, disappointing and in the attitude they play, arrogant and someone needs to slap them down to get the message that this isn't something you can be so blaze about.

If you want a team that encompass the spirit of this world cup, has to be Australia. They have been fighting every step of the way, it was tragic they were foiled by such foul action.
True Italy had defended well, but at the same time they did not provide the decisive "kick" they were so assured to show in this match. Simple all talk, and they paid for it, and when they were bragging about fair play, they had to resort to dirty play. disgusting. Not to mention the ironics, and how foolish FIFA has looked, after all their talk of fair play and harsh punishment of diving and fouling. All we got is a Yellow card gangbang, and a extra referee that seems to have no other job or arbitory powers, except to sit and watch the game.

If I have to root for someone to win the game it has to be the fantastic Argentina, or if im optimistic, the persistant Germany.

Really, we need change, we need a shakedown, changing of the old guards! down with the Kingmakers! the King is dead! All hail the King!

Old 2006-06-26, 22:04   Link #726
tritoch

I was rooting for S. Korea but they lost surprisingly early. Last 2002, they were semi finalist and was beaten by Germany.

Im rooting for England now.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 02:48   Link #727
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Spain'll probably take France no problem.
I can't deny that. Hope they will fight a bit though. They made it to the 1/8 finals so I guess they're not so bad.
Are they?
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 03:10   Link #728
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO

If I have to root for someone to win the game it has to be the fantastic Argentina, or if im optimistic, the persistant Germany.

Really, we need change, we need a shakedown, changing of the old guards! down with the Kingmakers! the King is dead! All hail the King!

It is funny how you balantly denies brazil while says that we need a shakedown with the new, nominating Argentina and Germany as possible replacements, since they are as much old guard as Brazil is.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 03:39   Link #729
evil-samurai

Sigh... thats not a way you really want to end a match, Australia were unlucy though like Italy I didn't think they were going to get to the final but to go out in that way is.. annoying. Anyway... Go Ghana! They have played great in the past two matches, hopfully they put Brazil away =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
One interesting fact though, when Italy lost to Korea 4 years ago, the Korean man who scored the deciding goal for the match was fired from his Italian team.
I remember that now, poor guy ^^;
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 03:51   Link #730
esquire

I don't think Brazil are playing at their full capacity, which is why their wins in recent games weren't so spectacular.
Im sure once we see more of Brazil, we will see some of that Joga Bonito which makes football exciting. I don't think Argentina are the best, I think Germany could beat them and then Germany would be neck and neck against Brazil.

I personally want Brazil to win. Go Brasil!!
esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 12:11   Link #731
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

What a great game that was. Seriously, Ghana played sooo well, and even Brazil looked a little more in regular form when the second half came around. Still, the final result should've been more like... 2:1. Ghana had so many fantastic chances, and admittedly, they lost many of them due to poor decisions on the parts of players. But that one header that just happened to land on the Brazilian goalie's feet? What the hell! What awful luck! And Brazil's second goal was totally made from an offside position; everyone I was watching the game with agreed that was the case, as did the commentators, so I'm not sure why the referees didn't call it...

It was pure joy to watch Ghana in the first half, though, even though they conceded and awful failed offside-trap goal five minutes in. Speaking of offside-traps, the third goal was the same mistake! Agh! But the way the played here, I get the feeling that if they don't let down over the next fou years, Ghana can make an even stronger showing in 2010.

Brazil:Spain (presuming Spain wins) will make a very interesting match. Spain could beat them, I think. Still, France might surprise everyone and win today so it's too early to make predictions
Old 2006-06-27, 13:05   Link #732
esquire

Quote:
Brazil:Spain (presuming Spain wins) will make a very interesting match. Spain could beat them, I think. Still, France might surprise everyone and win today so it's too early to make predictions
LOL. Its funny when I see Americans talking about footy.
Brazil would thrash Spain. Easily.
Old 2006-06-27, 13:16   Link #733
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Your crazy. Brazil are the world champions, and won't be giving up their tittle easily. Spain has no chance against them.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 14:10   Link #734
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I think everyone would agree that Brazil hasn't been playing as well as usual this tournament. And Spain is one of the better teams this time around, so while it'd be tough, I think they have a chance. I mean, even *Croatia* managed to put up a good fight. As did Ghana today.

By the way, esquire, I'm Polish, not American - born there and grew up there, though I live in NYC now.
Old 2006-06-27, 14:18   Link #735
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
As did Ghana today.

What game were you watching? They lost 3 to ZERO. o.O
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 15:54   Link #736
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
France wins.
3-1.
WTF. Even Zizou scored like... a bonus shot...
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 16:02   Link #737
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

France rediscovered their rhythm at just the right time. Especially Zizou. It would be a pity if he retired without scoring a goal.

Now all the former champions (6 bar Uruguay) are in the quarter finals.

Germany vs Argentina (must watch no. 1, both teams attacking, should be a cracker)
Italy vs Ukraine (with due respect to the Italians and Ukrainians here, I just dislike their negative soul-less play, so I'm skipping this one)
England vs Portugal (go Scolari, and show Erikkson how to win beautifully)
Brazil vs France (must watch no. 2, now that I think about it, France were the last team to beat Brazil in a World Cup Finals match - not counting qualifiers, as Brazil have lost a couple - since the lost to France in 1998, Brazil won all 7 matches in 2002, and have won their games here so far)
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 16:02   Link #738
Hydex

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! France crushed Spain !
Next is Brazil, that must be a good match !
Hydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 16:03   Link #739
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Yeah, I was really surprised that France won. I was way off, apparently. I don't know whether it was Spain that played really badly, or France that played really well... uh... yeah.

Ghana clearly played better football in the first half than Brazil, most of the time at least. They lost their edge during the second half, but still. Why should it take 45 minutes for Brazil to take control of a game?

Edit: I agree with Kinny Riddle about the Italy:Ukraine game. Italy hasn't played a single convincing game so far. Australia outplayed them but unfortunately couldn't get a goal through. I would have bet that in the end they'd managed if the game went into overtime, but alas. Pathetic last-second penalty... and Ukraine never played very well from the start. They lost decisively to Spain, won decisively with Saudi Arabia (who were playing quite poorly anyway), barely managed with Tunisia, and barely managed with Switzerland. And that only because of the penalties. Italy will obviously win with their luck, and probably even skill seeing as they're up against Ukraine, but they'll be the one team that won't *really * deserve to be in the semifinals.

Argentina:Germany will probably be fantastic, though. I can't wait until Thursday...
Old 2006-06-27, 16:17   Link #740
esquire

Quote:
I think everyone would agree that Brazil hasn't been playing as well as usual this tournament. And Spain is one of the better teams this time around, so while it'd be tough, I think they have a chance. I mean, even *Croatia* managed to put up a good fight. As did Ghana today.

By the way, esquire, I'm Polish, not American - born there and grew up there, though I live in NYC now.
*cough* *cough*

The thing about Brazil, is that they have control over a game and can up the tempo when it needs be. In that match against Australia they seemed to be neck and neck, but in the second half they won by 2-0. Like the British commentators were saying, Brazil are playing at 50% of their capacity. Imagine what its like at 100%
I have faith in Brazil. Not too sure who is the better team though, Germany or Brazil.

Tags
football, soccer