AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-18, 08:17   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Toradora! - Q & A

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Toradora anime, light novel or manga. There are many questions that don't need a whole thread to discuss them. A simple practical answer straight from the anime, light novel or manga without any speculation can solve these connundrums. If someone has such a question about Toradora which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.

Please don't post in this thread unless you are asking a question or answering one. Please remember that it only takes 1 person to answer a question. And don't speculate! You can only reply with cold, hard, merciliessly unforgivable facts. If you have to speculate, then please just tell the querrant that no answer is known, but here are some facts that might help him make up his own mind.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how I create spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 01:49   Link #2
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

The title is actually Toradora! correct? Not just Toradora by itself? Kinda like Baccano!, right?
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 11:46   Link #3
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

I actually wanted to make a question on this too. I've seen in some places that they write the title "Tora Dora!" (separated). Wich is the correct form?
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 18:53   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
The title is actually Toradora! correct? Not just Toradora by itself? Kinda like Baccano!, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwings View Post
I actually wanted to make a question on this too. I've seen in some places that they write the title "Tora Dora!" (separated). Wich is the correct form?
Well, the official title is "とらドラ!" with the exclamation point. Actually, maybe there's a policy against it, but we really should have included an exclamation point in the title of this forum too.

It's a combination of "tora" (tiger in Japanese) and "dora[gon]" ("Dragon" in Japanese phonetics), and you can note change in scripts (tora is in hiragana because it's a Japanese word, and dora is in katakana because it's from the English word). I don't know if there's really an "official correct" way of writing it in English, but I think it makes sense to make it one word. If you wanted to preserve the effect, maybe you could write it "ToraDora!" or "Tora-Dora!", I guess... Some probably separate it simply to bring attention to the fact that the script changes, indicating that they smushed two separate words together. But actually, the fact that they did combine them like this is actually symbolic of the show itself, since it's about the relationship between Taiga and Ryuuji (whose names are the reverse of what's in the title -- Taiga sounds like "Tiger" and Ryuu (from Ryuuji) is Japanese for Dragon). The fact that the tiger and dragon are both power signs in the zodiac (and that the two words are written in different scripts) sort of reflects the way the two clash, but Ryuuji's comment at the end of episode 2 (if you're a tiger, I'll be a dragon so I can be your equal, basically) sums up the point of the show (and the illustration in the title, by joining the two separate words). In other words, if you just put "Toradora!", you risk losing all that symbolism (since most people won't know the difference between that a real Japanese word).

Typical example of how "sometimes a title's not just a title". Now that I think about it, really, either "ToraDora!" or "Tora-Dora!" would probably be the best ways of writing it.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 11:31   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...we really should have included an exclamation point in the title of this forum too.
As it is part of the official title, I agree.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 15:59   Link #6
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Thanks for the answer I don't wanna be persistent but, why isn't the exclamation point included?
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 23:08   Link #7
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwings View Post
Thanks for the answer I don't wanna be persistent but, why isn't the exclamation point included?
I added it to all the thread titles now, but we'll need to call on the "higher powers" to add it to the forum title.
Old 2008-10-21, 05:51   Link #8
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
I don't know if there's really an "official correct" way of writing it in English
The official Taiwanese licensed novel is published under the title "Tiger X Dragon!" FWIW.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 07:29   Link #9
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
I added it to all the thread titles...
..and I've renamed the forum, as there was no specific reason for not including the exclamation.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 09:22   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
The official Taiwanese licensed novel is published under the title "Tiger X Dragon!" FWIW.
On the positive side, it does convey the meaning/symbolism of the name (the "x" is actually a not-bad solution to the joining issue). On the negative side, it's a little bit on the blunt side, I'd say -- no subtlety! But yeah, if it gets licensed in North America, it wouldn't surprise me to see the title end up as something like "Toradora! Tiger X Dragon" or something, and that's not too bad either.
Old 2008-10-25, 20:06   Link #11
The Sandman

Do we know how long the anime is going to be yet, and whether they plan to cover the entire light novel series during the current run or whether they've reserved some for a second season if it's popular enough?
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 20:32   Link #12
JMvS
Rawrrr!

IIRC it will be 2 runs of 12 episodes.
And if we consider the fact that the first 6 episodes will most likely already cover the first 2 novels, we can assume that a large part of the published material will get adapted on those 24 episodes (I just pray for not too much weak anime-only material).
Old 2008-11-09, 02:50   Link #13
Tiran86

Hopefully I can get an answer here.

Do any other characters besides Ami, Taiga, Ryuuji, Kitamura and Minori join the main cast? If anyone, I'd guess Sumire, but are there any other main characters not introduced in the first 3 novels or 6 episodes of the anime?
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 13:40   Link #14
msuwildog80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran86 View Post
Hopefully I can get an answer here.

Do any other characters besides Ami, Taiga, Ryuuji, Kitamura and Minori join the main cast? If anyone, I'd guess Sumire, but are there any other main characters not introduced in the first 3 novels or 6 episodes of the anime?
Um I would like to answer no.

Every spoiler and review I read about the future novels seems to imply that no new major characters join the cast. Mostly because the novels covers short periods of time and seems to be mostly character driven.

I assume that some characters will play major roles for specific parts tho. But they shouldnt be consider main cast

Spoiler for characters:
msuwildog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 09:11   Link #15
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question:
Spoiler for Ep 6:
Old 2008-11-14, 14:39   Link #16
Tiran86

She made her do a bunch of embarrassing impressions and videotaped it for blackmail.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 09:48   Link #17
manga852

is it going to take as long for taiga and ryuuji to hook up as it took otani and risa?
manga852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 12:23   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by manga852 View Post
is it going to take as long for taiga and ryuuji to hook up as it took otani and risa?
You ask questions that can't be answered. Define "hook up" first as they have a relationship that exists and evolves throughout. Also the light novels of Toradora! that the anime series is based on is still in progress (and the manga adaptation isn't much ahead of the anime). The novel series seems to be reaching some sort of climactic point though.

Otani and Risa remained interesting to me even after they officially admitted they were a couple in addition to being a tangled mess of emotions. I'm rather hoping IF Taiga and Ryuuji admit they are a couple that the story covers the 'afterwards' (assuming they don't end up with their targets or that Ami doesn't swoop in or that at the end no one is romantic with anyone but they're all deeply bonded comrades).
Old 2008-11-16, 02:33   Link #19
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran86 View Post
She made her do a bunch of embarrassing impressions and videotaped it for blackmail.
Why would Ami agree to do this?
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 02:49   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
Why would Ami agree to do this?
Taiga threatened to kick her back out into the streets where the stalker awaited if she didn't comply.

Tags
q&a