AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-02, 02:29   Link #201
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Spoiler for length:
Yeah I know I'm a gamer too. What I meant was, if you don't "Build" your character as one build, then you do it as the others. Doesn't mean they are always interchangable midway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan
Guess Dual Wielding wasn't made for "all players".....
Sadly yeah...Which is why I'm asking why. Is it really because the designers think it would be too hard for most players? If this game is fully real time where you have to swing your swords correctly the entire duration of the skill and not automated midway then I'd buy that.
Old 2012-09-02, 02:32   Link #202
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I still don't get why Dual Wielding has to be a special skill.
Isn't it obvious? The author decided that dual blade would be the MC's special ability, and if it's special it means it's exclusive and unique, something only he can do. If everyone else could do it, it wouldn't be Kirito's special power anymore, right? So we can't have that.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-09-02 at 04:09.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 02:35   Link #203
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Sadly yeah...Which is why I'm asking why. Is it really because the designers think it would be too hard for most players? If this game is fully real time where you have to swing your swords correctly the entire duration of the skill and not automated midway then I'd buy that.
Probably you're right... you have a point actually... maybe the designer thinks its way too cool to be available to everyone.... Imagine if everyone.... Klein, Asuna, Kuradeel... uses Dual Wielding.. the its not special anymore... The designer, rather the author made the Dual Wielding just for Kirito to use...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 02:55   Link #204
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Maybe Dual Wield is a skill gained by earning a achievement.

To be honest, a virtural game like SAO where you hook up someone's brain to a game might actual require some kind of hand dexterity. Dual wielding in real life is actually very difficult and only a few have the ability to do so. It might be possible that Kirito's own natural dexterity translate into the game for a unique ability.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:08   Link #205
Khalil

I don't understand why Asuna couldn't just leave her guild, it's not like they could've stopped her.
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:14   Link #206
Clarste
Human

Because she doesn't want to leave her guild. She just wants to take a break. If she just quit and left on bad terms then they probably wouldn't let her back in when her break was over. She's having some troubles recently but it's not like she hates the guild. Even when she was complaining about how it's changed, there was the implication that the old days were better because the guildmaster invited everyone personally. Implying she respects him, at least as a judge of character. Cutting off all ties would be a bad thing.

So therefore she politely requests a leave of absence so she can stay associated with the guild while partying with Kirito. Leading to Heathcliff's offer. And it was just an offer; Kirito could have refused but chose not to because he likes swords more than talking.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:15   Link #207
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
it's not like they could've stopped her.
Well, if Heathcliff is as strong as Kirito, he could stop her by force if he wanted to.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:19   Link #208
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Any guesses as to why Klein revealed Kirito's dual-welding ability? He's certainly not the type to do this sort of thing w/o Kirito's consent unless he was planning something(nothing nefarious obviously).

And did Liz already knew about his dual-wield ability? That's what I insinuated from her 'it was our secret and you told on yourself' line. If that WAS the case, why tell her and not Asuna(don't get the wrong idea though, I like Liz's char =03)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Maybe Dual Wield is a skill gained by earning a achievement. .
That's what I was thinking. Maybe something along the lines of "kill 100 enemies solo" or "earn 100,000 EXP solo".

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:22   Link #209
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Any guesses as to why Klein revealed Kirito's dual-welding ability? He's certainly not the type to do this sort of thing w/o Kirito's consent unless he was planning something(nothing nefarious obviously).
Who says it was Klein? I assumed it was one of the faceless Army guys.

Quote:
And did Liz already knew about his dual-wield ability? That's what I insinuated from her 'it was our secret and you told on yourself' line.
That was definitely implied. In the LN at the end of her side-story she actually asked why he needed two swords and he told her, asking her to keep it a secret. It seems that event still happened even if they didn't show it in the anime.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:22   Link #210
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
I don't understand why Asuna couldn't just leave her guild, it's not like they could've stopped her.
Yup, I agree when someone mentioned that she doesn't want to leave the guild and actually just have a break... Asuna's Guild is not that big but its influential and many of its members are high level players (many are Asuna's fans actually, right, Kuradeel?!).

If she leaves, it means trouble... for her and Kirito and as if Heathcliff will allow it either..
Old 2012-09-02, 03:26   Link #211
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Regards skills,

Spoiler for Novel information n skills:

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:39   Link #212
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Regards skills,

Spoiler for Novel information n skills:
I appreciate the information. Though it still hasn't addressed why dual wield itself has to be a special skill. Well, aside from it being the privilege of the MC. I mean, it should be possible to make the dual wield itself unlocks normally as a skill for everyone but make a special skill like a secret hissatsu-waza that deals base damagex1000 or something for our MC to still make him special.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:44   Link #213
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Quote:
Yeah I know I'm a gamer too. What I meant was, if you don't "Build" your character as one build, then you do it as the others. Doesn't mean they are always interchangable midway.

well it's maybe a way for the author to make the main character as a special one which is by including the skill/style that any other people can't have....

really nice episode...finally the battle scene that I was hoping for as the previous episodes didn't really satisfying my action needs
dual-wielding...really have a nice ring in my ear as I always like the sound of it and when playing MMORPG that have a job that can dual wield, I would always choose to play it just like choosing fighter (twin lance at first) at PSO2.... (oops OOT)

A waste that no slurping mayonnaise at Asuna's hand
really excited when he shouted out "Starbust Stream" a 16-hit skill....
I wonder if it's like some kind of combo and whether the combo had been decided by the system or the player itself that do the combo with the help of system...
But its likely that it had been decided by the system because actually when the player's getting hit they can still continue attacking while being attacked not just like the MMORPG that I had ever played when the player's being hit and got the damage there's actually a second stun(?) which actually in Ragnarok Online it can be discarded by using Endure skill that Swordsman have.....
I don't really like the 6th move when he cross slash downwards again... its better that after the 5th move when he cross slash downwards the next move would be cross slashing upwards....

really surprised when seeing Lizbeth make her second appearance
and when was it that Kirito told Lizbeth about the dual-wielding and made it a secret? Well in the novel Kirito showed her the dual-wield but not in the 7th episode

next will be an epic battle again between Kirito and Heathcliff as even after knowing Kirito having unique skill nitouryuu, he still challenge him to a fight which means he himself has a confidence that he can beat Kirito
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:46   Link #214
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I appreciate the information. Though it still hasn't addressed why dual wield itself has to be a special skill. Well, aside from it being the privilege of the MC. I mean, it should be possible to make the dual wield itself unlocks normally as a skill for everyone but make a special skill like a secret hissatsu-waza that deals base damagex1000 or something for our MC to still make him special.
Authorial fiat. To say anymore, I'd suggest you ask this in the Q&A thread, as we're heading into spoilers, albeit things that most likely will not be revealed anyhow.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:48   Link #215
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I mean, it should be possible to make the dual wield itself unlocks normally as a skill for everyone but make a special skill like a secret hissatsu-waza that deals base damagex1000 or something for our MC to still make him special.
Kayaba would not appreciate it....

Let's see.. based on episode 9. Kirito unleashed the Dual Wielding Skill which open up another skill... the Star Burst Stream. If anyone other than Kirito has Dual Skill, they can get access to this other skill too...

Kayaba must have limited this. If not, Boss fights would be pretty easy then... the game will be easy to finish if a party of dual wielders help each other...

Again, Kirito finished the boss in solo mode....
Old 2012-09-02, 03:48   Link #216
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The meta-reason is that the author thought it'd be cooler if there were unique skills, and picked "Dual Blades" as one of them.

The in-story reason was that the game designer thought it'd be cooler if there were unique skills, and picked "Dual Blades" as one of them.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:48   Link #217
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Woop, Kirito bringing out the DEEEEEEPS! Typical boss fights take from 15 minutes to 3 hours and he just did it with half a party in a few minutes? Lawls. Really nice character interactions in this episode, I like how Kirito is always so honest about his desires (i.e. Asuna's handmade goodies and not letting people die in front of him if he can help it), although I would have liked to see some Klein action. Dude's got a decent party to back up a serious fight or at the very least open up an escape route, but they were limited to mainly standing by as Kirito raged on.

About skills: even Kirito doesn't know how he got his dual wield, it must be very hard to use though, unless you're ambidextrous or highly experienced. Well, he did get hit quite a bit...but then again, that boss was insane, it used sword skills, fists and a freaking breath attack, wtf?

About Heathcliff and the KoB - anyone would want a guy like Kirito to join their guild. Since he challenged him to a duel, I suppose he will be deciding its style. I think he will go for a time limit battle and taunt Kirito into hitting him once, before he shows he can dual wield too - with shields

Quote:
Kayaba must have limited this. If not, Boss fights would be pretty easy then... the game will be easy to finish if a party of dual wielders help each other...
Like others said, dual skills cast time was quite long, so there's no time for potting or switching with others, it's a very risky style - especially when you don't respawn back in town.
Quote:
It's not like Starburst Stream's the only Dual Blades Sword Skill. There are shorter ones.
I wouldn't know about it though :P

Looking forward to the next episode of SAO!

Last edited by Kafriel; 2012-09-02 at 04:15.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 04:08   Link #218
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Like others said, dual skills cast time was quite long, so there's no time for potting or switching with others, it's a very risky style - especially when you don't respawn back in town.
It's not like Starburst Stream's the only Dual Blades Sword Skill. There are shorter ones.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 04:30   Link #219
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Guess i'm wrong after all. I thought the boss would owned them hard at first but it seems kirito has some secret weapon, which is best to save for those "Oh shit" moments.

Also, i guess klein was at the same level of kirito..
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 04:35   Link #220
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post

Also, i guess klein was at the same level of kirito..
Actually, I'm impressed with Klein' progress... he manage to fight together with Asuna and Kirito...