AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-09, 13:15   Link #61
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancs View Post
I really want some Luffy action. I want him to kick every1's a**
I think we should all expect some Luffy action in the next chapter for sure.......hopefully =)
Old 2012-11-09, 13:20   Link #62
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
To be fair my comment wasn't aimed at the single chapter but at the arc as whole. I feel this chapter adds but is not the cause of the problem.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get that impression following this arc. I find the pacing to be just about on par with most OP arcs (though as I alluded to before, I DID have a bit of a problem with the previous arc's rushed pacing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I think another problem is the breaks , OP is around the same pacing but the breaks make it seem even longer than usual .
If Oda takes 10 weeks off this year that is a Vol less for the year so it effecting people . ( Oda should relax more but breaks sometimes means he doing other stuff )
I remember hearing the same thing during the war but in Vol format it so much better .

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I agree. Multiple chapter breaks will inevitably generate some unrest from those not so patient (and like you, I weathered through that storm during the Marineford chapters). But hey, waiting another week or two for another OP chapter is nothing compared to waiting about 6+ months for the next batch of Hunter x Hunter chapters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
"You young whipper-snappers back in my days Luffy had to fight the main bad guy of the arc not once but twice to much of my frustration!"

As someone who's been following the weekly chapters for almost a decade myself, I can definitely say that today's young-'uns have it easy compared to back in the day. While nowadays we get full chapters as early as Tuesday, back then it wasn't uncommon for chapters to come along until well into the weekend. And as far as spoilers were concerned often all we'd get was a small, crappy blurry cam pic of a single page! You whippersnappers better be grateful for all your One-Mangos and Bahtatoes and whatnot!
Old 2012-11-09, 14:15   Link #63
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
As i said what were the more dire threats and how did SH deal with them ?
We know that Ussop can easily incapacitate the kids with his special weaponry. And for those that don't have that luxury (i.e. Nami, Chopper, and Robin), they can resort to outwitting the kids through candy bribery and lure them out of the building. It's not rocket science. The strawhats haven't really experienced this kind of situation in the past, but that doesn't mean they should have difficulty in this scenario. It's silly how Oda is making a big deal out of these kids, and it's getting tiresome with him dragging out this plot point.
Old 2012-11-09, 16:57   Link #64
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
We know that Ussop can easily incapacitate the kids with his special weaponry. And for those that don't have that luxury (i.e. Nami, Chopper, and Robin), they can resort to outwitting the kids through candy bribery and lure them out of the building. It's not rocket science. The strawhats haven't really experienced this kind of situation in the past, but that doesn't mean they should have difficulty in this scenario. It's silly how Oda is making a big deal out of these kids, and it's getting tiresome with him dragging out this plot point.
I agree that the SHs should demonstrate increased proficiency in a variety of areas. Given that though, the NW is a different animal. You can train for a while and you will do better if you stay in the same league, if you move up a few echelons you will remain challenged.

These aren't regular kids. These kids are mini versions of giant fighters that certain interests have tried to manufacture for the last few hundred years for use in war. There are like two dozen of them or so too.

Anyways, it would be nice to see Robin and Nami have a bigger impact than they have demonstrated handling the kids. I'm a little disappointed too.
Old 2012-11-09, 17:59   Link #65
andy

Quote:
Lure them out of the building into the poison death cloud yeah that makes allot of sense .
What candy bribery , the SH don't have any candy and that not going to stop some of the kids from going after mocha who they know have candy .
These kids are drugs addicts and they not going to stop until they get the candy from mocha which is why she eat it all .
Old 2012-11-09, 19:15   Link #66
marvelB

Putting aside the arguments about the pacing and the giant crackbabies for the moment, I forgot to comment on the ministory: So looks like karma hit our swampy friend after abandoning his brother. Somehow, the fact that he's drifting on some little boat kinda reminds me the Jango ministory right now. Wonder where he'll end up next.....?

Also, I'm not sure if this was brought this up before or not, but since Vergo currently has his hands full fighting Smoker, couldn't Law just swipe his heart with Mes since he's just sitting on the sidelines at the moment? IMO, that would be the best way for Law to pay him back after all the times Vergo squeezed HIS heart like some kind of rubber chewtoy.....
Old 2012-11-09, 23:09   Link #67
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Lure them out of the building into the poison death cloud yeah that makes allot of sense .
What candy bribery , the SH don't have any candy and that not going to stop some of the kids from going after mocha who they know have candy .
These kids are drugs addicts and they not going to stop until they get the candy from mocha which is why she eat it all .
Is shinokuni surrounding the entirety of the complex? For argument's sake, let's say that it is, which means everyone is forced to be confined to the interior of the building (they're trapped). Even so, have you ever heard of lying, trickery, and deceit? The strawhats could use those tactics as the candy bribery (claiming/pretending they have candy when they really don't), and these kids would be gullible enough to fall for it given their mindless obsession.

Anyways, it doesn't matter at this point since they've been sedated and thus temporarily incapacitated once again. I'm just glad Oda is moving on from this "weak threat" and going to the real deal soon enough. That being said, arguing this matter any further is a fruitless endeavor, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 2012-11-09, 23:22   Link #68
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get that impression following this arc. I find the pacing to be just about on par with most OP arcs.

But hey, waiting another week or two for another OP chapter is nothing compared to waiting about 6+ months for the next batch of Hunter x Hunter chapters!
you're not alone. i don't have a problem with the pacing at all. i found fishman arc incredibly boring. it just got interesting for me when the sea kings arrived. lol but it wasn't so bad. i'm liking punk hazard so far.

oh, don't remind me! does togashi plan to finish that series at all? *shakes head*
Old 2012-11-09, 23:58   Link #69
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
What could have Nami learn in 2 years that would help her vs 20 drug out kids without hurting them when her weapon is base on attacking and evasion
Knock them out with a thunder bolt?

Confuse them with mirages? Have them chasing their own tail?

Nami's a smart woman, she should have figured something out.
Old 2012-11-10, 13:06   Link #70
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think twice is still to low. Some of the enemies had to be pursued multiple times. I really wonder why the author does this. Why not simply get the job done in the first encounter?
Sometimes it adds a healthy dose of suspense, most of the time it's just prolonging the inevitable.
Old 2012-11-10, 17:17   Link #71
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Knock them out with a thunder bolt?

Confuse them with mirages? Have them chasing their own tail?

Nami's a smart woman, she should have figured something out.
The second one is fine, provided she can actually do something on that level, but ehh... Have you ever been hit by lightning?
Old 2012-11-10, 21:01   Link #72
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Sometimes it adds a healthy dose of suspense, most of the time it's just prolonging the inevitable.

Yeah. I mean, I can think of several stories outside of manga/anime where the heroes have a rematch with their archenemies. If the winning formula ain't broke, why see a need to fix it?
Old 2012-11-11, 10:38   Link #73
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
The second one is fine, provided she can actually do something on that level, but ehh... Have you ever been hit by lightning?
It's One Piece, why are you using real world physics?
Old 2012-11-11, 10:41   Link #74
Blackbeard D. Kuma

One Piece being akin to reality.....that's laughable.
Old 2012-11-11, 11:31   Link #75
andy

While OP does not use real world physics certain things are still the same such as lightning hurts most of the time .
If nami did that monster chopper should have just punch them in face early on and knock them out.
Old 2012-11-11, 11:50   Link #76
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
While OP does not use real world physics certain things are still the same such as lightning hurts most of the time .
If nami did that monster chopper should have just punch them in face early on and knock them out.
The kids aren't even fully aware of what their doing because of their drugged state. So even if Nami and Chopper knocked them out, they wouldn't remember a thing and it's not like they would suffer long-term damaging effects. They would just get knocked out, which would be fine to resort to since they refuse to stop their rampage. You've gotta do what you've gotta do sometimes for everyone's best interest and safety.
Old 2012-11-11, 11:56   Link #77
andy

Quote:
The kids aren't even fully aware of what their doing because of their drugged state. So even if Nami and Chopper knocked them out, they wouldn't remember a thing and it's not like they would suffer long-term damaging effects. They would just get knocked out, which would be fine to resort to since they refuse to stop their rampage. You've gotta do what you've gotta do sometimes for everyone's best interest and safety.
If this was Luffy or Zoro that would happen already Nami , Chopper and Robin to soft .
Old 2012-11-11, 11:58   Link #78
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
If this was Luffy or Zoro that would happen already Nami , Chopper and Robin to soft .
Well, they've got to learn to be tougher and more harsh sometimes. This is the New World; they'll need to do that from now on.
Old 2012-11-11, 12:01   Link #79
james0246

Quote:
To be fair, Nami's lightning almost killed countless marines during the Eneis Lobby arc, and even Zoro (or was it Sanji?) ended up very hurt. So, it's possible that she could kill many of the children.

Realistically, the best option would be mirages mixed with Robin's hand treatment and some sedatives from Chopper. Sadly, Oda decided to drag the chase out (ostensibly to move the characters from end of the building to the other), resulting in the 3 characters looking weaker and more foolish than they actually are (to put things in perspective, Usopp would have been the best match for capturing all the kids since a few vine attacks could have held them in place until they could be sedated (Luffy would have also been a good match, since he could have just looked at them and shut them down)). That being said, Zoro and Sanji would have been able to do nothing since their attacks are too dangerous against opponents they don't wish to end.
Old 2012-11-11, 12:03   Link #80
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
To be fair, Nami's lightning almost killed countless marines during the Eneis Lobby arc, and even Zoro (or was it Sanji?) ended up very hurt. So, it's possible that she could kill many of the children.
The kids are suped up because of the drugs, so I'd imagine that would make them more resilient than they normally are. And besides, full force isn't required to put them down. The strawhats shouldn't have an issue with this.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion