AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-09, 04:26   Link #481
sa547
*Author

Finally got to watch this episode, and glad it's just right for summertime. Left me laughing, all the while I felt I was pulled back to my high school days, of unrequited love and the should-haves, could-haves and would-haves.

Assuming that most readers said that the original material took too long, I hope this adaptation be better, like getting to the point while entertaining its audience.

This one's for keeps.
Old 2012-05-10, 18:40   Link #482
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
That was the less surreal episode yet... save for that creepy pareo.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 18:04   Link #483
CGrascal

Just finished watching episode 3. And is it just me, or did I expect Tsubaki to not lick Urabe's drool that he poured out of the beaker, but lick the beaker itself?
CGrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 20:58   Link #484
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Spoiler for episode 6 and manga chapter number comparisons but no actual content spoilers:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 23:29   Link #485
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

This anime is the anime of all friend zoned guys.............
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 23:52   Link #486
Malkuth
Banned

Girls usually have it tougher (in the rare instance that it occurs)... just cry at the friend/family-zoned Wanko@Sankarea
Old 2012-05-13, 03:02   Link #487
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was unabashedly sweet, I thought. In many ways this show is like Jormungand in a totally different context - using absurdity to enlighten the human condition. As weird as these characters and the relationships are, this episode was totally relateable.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 09:27   Link #488
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was unabashedly sweet, I thought. In many ways this show is like Jormungand in a totally different context - using absurdity to enlighten the human condition. As weird as these characters and the relationships are, this episode was totally relateable.
Well, I've not watched Jormungand, so I can't comment on the comparison, but as far as absurdity enlightening the human condition goes, it finally dawned on me today what this anime (particularly the background music, but especially Tsubaki's dream segments) reminds me of: the movies of Federico Fellini. Symbolism, weird characters and weird relationships: Fellini was the 20th century's preeminent artist of using these to weave masterful storytelling into a visual format.

This anime certainly seems to reflect this description of Fellini's films from wikipedia:
"Personal and highly idiosyncratic visions of society, Fellini's films are a unique combination of memory, dreams, fantasy and desire."

It makes me wonder if the mangaka was, like so many others, profoundly influenced by his works.

Spoiler for episode six and manga comparisons:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 11:56   Link #489
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

nice picture of Mi....mi.....Mikoto!!!
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:09   Link #490
whitecloud

Oka has quite a personality....a bit slutty an devilish I guess and have a big physical asset hehe...

Would you guys want a girlfriend like her?
A question ? If you guys rank the current girl who do you pick? Me is oka second urabe and the third is the new girl the crush girl

And do you mind short girl like her? For me it's bit of a problem 147cm? But she got big rack and other feature so probably compensating I guess
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 13:42   Link #491
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I wouldn't call her anything close to slutty, she is just a tease.
Old 2012-05-13, 13:47   Link #492
ookamigirl

Ayu & Akira accidental meeting and ice cream gave him something to think about.
Urabe & Ayu, that girl sure had an agenda to bring Urabe & Akira even closer.
The photo thing was kind of a downer...
Looks like even she can get jealous ^^"
At least she caved a bit and gave him a different photo face ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:03   Link #493
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I gotta say, the way Tsubaki described Oka when he looked at her, makes me think she was pressed down during her lifetime, that way, her height got shorter and her boobs popped out-v-;;. Seeing her makes me think that Oka is the one that makes the moves in her relationship with Kouhei and Kouhei is the one that takes his time. He's the sentimental type and she's the, are we gonna stand around here doing nothing, or are we gonna get down to some getting down? I wonder if any fan will recommend a foursome ending-v-, or a trio ending with Tsubaki, Urabe, and Oka?
Old 2012-05-13, 17:19   Link #494
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
It's nice to see Tsubaki converse with someone other than Urabe and Ueno for once. Oka has just the right personality to talk to Urabe, but it was nice to see how she would talk to Tsubaki. Given the ending, and how Urabe felt about the Hayakawa thing, I wonder if she would have felt the same way seeing how Oka was teasing Tsubaki.

Loved the ending to ep 6 =03. You usually get the impression that Urabe wouldn't be fazed by much, but the end showed that she can have a normal girl's worries in a relationship.

The music during that scene(when Tsubaki was crying) was very touching; it fit the mood perfectly. I don't pay attention to in-show music too much, but they're really using the right tunes to complement the scenes in this show =03.

On a minor note, that "BAD CAT" logo is really awesome X03!

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 19:16   Link #495
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
The first time when Tsubaki asked Urabe to let him take a picture, and he was all happy, and then she refused to smile, and then walked off leaving him there-

This song started playing in my head:

Shot through the heart. That's the only way to describe the expression on his face.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 08:53   Link #496
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

This guy is terrible with women. But it does make me recall high school. Never knowing what the right and wrong things to say are.

If I asked my lady how she'd feel if I got Starbucks with an old crush, and while I was waiting on her, I'd be f****d.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 15:20   Link #497
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
This guy is terrible with women. But it does make me recall high school. Never knowing what the right and wrong things to say are.

If I asked my lady how she'd feel if I got Starbucks with an old crush, and while I was waiting on her, I'd be f****d.
It's interesting that you say that - I feel the anime does an excellent job of conveying the "realisticness" that young men like Tsubaki go through.

I wonder what the women who are watching the anime think about Urabe's behavior, though? Does it strike them as very convincing and real? Of how they felt or thought about or responded to things in high school? (And of course I am not referring to literally carrying scissors around and cutting up things.)

For me one of the things that is coming across the most regarding Urabe is that there is a side to her that is clueless regarding a large part of the sexual tension her actions create on Tsubaki. In that sense she may be one of the places where her tsundere behavior that pops up at times comes from: she doesn't quite know what to do with the intense feelings she has when they rear their head.

Tsubaki's honesty and straightforwardness is a perfect match for me in this regard, I think. Plus despite everything else he really does seem to be a genuinely good guy.
Old 2012-05-17, 01:17   Link #498
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is working hard to be my favorite of the season.... remarkable for a series which has a "classic retro" art style and its hook is ... drool.

Good stuff so far.
Old 2012-05-17, 02:00   Link #499
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is working hard to be my favorite of the season.... remarkable for a series which has a "classic retro" art style and its hook is ... drool.

Good stuff so far.
Hm... if it wasn't for the retro-style, and the viscosity drawn for spit*, it would have been my favorite

* At least show/draw/animate what it is implied to be

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-05-17 at 02:31.
Old 2012-05-17, 02:12   Link #500
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Good stuff so far.
If this weren't such a strong season it might very well be my favorite too - it's certainly in the top tier. I adore the retro style (Hoods really went all-in with it) and the show is not at all what it appears to be on the surface.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen