AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-27, 23:43   Link #501
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
As for the beauty pageant story, one way to get Haruhi's participation is if Kyon somehow became involved with its production... perhaps as one of the judges...
This is a good justification, and can be explained fairly easily. The S.O.S. Brigade gets discussed enough at school, anyone paying attention would notice Kyon consistently finds himself dealing with varied beauties (Mikuru's attractiveness is different from Yuki's is different from Haruhi's is different from Tsuruya's), and if Taniguchi is in any way involved, this combined with Kyon's reputation for liking 'weird girls' would get him brought in with the intent of having one eccentric judge. After all, contests are just as often about the personalities of the judges as they are about the merits of the contestants, ne?
Old 2009-11-28, 02:20   Link #502
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I was under the belief that having Kyon as a judge would probably deter Haruhi more. I mean, if you knew that someone you liked was to be a judge of a competition that you were going to be a part of, wouldn't you feel too embarrassed to want to compete.

Besides, I don't think Kyon would agree to be a judge anyway.

@Nukerjsr

I agree that Kyon doesn't deserve all the blame, and that Haruhi's parents deserve a lot of it, but it's easy to blame Kyon because he's had to power to prevent all of this if only he were more honest with himself. I'm confused as to how Koizumi is responsible, though.

Last edited by Jonbob0008; 2009-11-28 at 13:10.
Old 2009-11-28, 03:53   Link #503
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
I under the belief that having Kyon as a judge would probably deter Haruhi more. I mean, if you knew that someone you liked was to be a judge of a competition that you were going to be a part of, wouldn't you feel too embarrassed to want to compete.

@Nukerjsr

I agree that Kyon doesn't deserve all the blame, and that Haruhi's parents deserve a lot of it, but it's easy to blame Kyon because he's had to power to prevent all of this if only he were more honest with himself. I'm confused as to how Koizumi is responsible, though.
Well, I do see your point with that, but it doesn't feel like any of the organizations have a grip on Kyon's humanity. With Yuki and to an extent Mikuru, it's understandable, but Koizumi does it all in such a way that it's constantly aggravating to Kyon. He puts on this whole pseudo-friendship with both Kyon and Haruhi in a way, that it makes him a real hypocrite for telling Kyon what he should do and how he's the ignorant one.

I just feel like Kyon deserves more defense for being so torn between what he truly wants. I feel like he would have to love Haruhi 100% to go along with this, when in reality, he isn't quite up there.

...it's times like this where I wish your story was a part of the continuity. ^^;
Old 2009-11-28, 05:00   Link #504
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
I under the belief that having Kyon as a judge would probably deter Haruhi more..
Feelin a bit sleepy, eh? XD
Old 2009-11-28, 05:05   Link #505
Stormwhite

Send a message via MSN to Stormwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Well, I do see your point with that, but it doesn't feel like any of the organizations have a grip on Kyon's humanity. With Yuki and to an extent Mikuru, it's understandable, but Koizumi does it all in such a way that it's constantly aggravating to Kyon. He puts on this whole pseudo-friendship with both Kyon and Haruhi in a way, that it makes him a real hypocrite for telling Kyon what he should do and how he's the ignorant one.
I'm interested to see what you base this on, Haruhi I'll give you, but I'm pretty sure that Koizumi's friendship with Kyon isn't fake. Rather, it's built on a fake personality that Koizumi uses.
Old 2009-11-28, 20:30   Link #506
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
I was under the belief that having Kyon as a judge would probably deter Haruhi more. I mean, if you knew that someone you liked was to be a judge of a competition that you were going to be a part of, wouldn't you feel too embarrassed to want to compete.
This is HARUHI we're talking about... embarrassment is just not in her makeup (yet).

Quote:
Oh, I think that Taniguichi can think of a number of ways to coerce Kyon to be a judge...

Look at it this way: Haruhi, through her infatuation with Kyon, would probably be a bit put off that (if he was a judge) he would be looking at (ogling) the contestants... thus (she reasons) that if she was a contestant, he would be looking at (ogling) her!

Or: why would the lowest SOS-Dan member ever be allowed to be a judge of such a contest... thus, it takes the SOS-Dan Chief to enter the contest to keep him honest!
Old 2009-11-28, 21:11   Link #507
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I doubt anyone would allow Kyon to judge if Haruhi were participating or vice versa. Kyon has too much of a biased opinion regarding her. Sure, it's the opposite of what people think, but that's beside the point.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-28, 21:46   Link #508
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
This is HARUHI we're talking about... embarrassment is just not in her makeup (yet).
Yes it is. She just doesn't admit it.
Old 2009-11-28, 21:56   Link #509
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Yes it is. She just doesn't admit it.
I don't know if she's currently capable of embarrassment.

However, I think it's possible for her to feel badly about herself in a more general sense.

I honestly think that Haruhi would be scared to enter a contest that Kyon was a judge for... she'd be afraid of him picking somebody else. I wouldn't call it embarrassment... more of a basic fear of rejection.
Old 2009-11-28, 22:07   Link #510
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Orly? Are you sure?
Old 2009-11-28, 22:21   Link #511
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Orly? Are you sure?
Perhaps when it comes to Kyon... but if so, that's it.

I mean, we are talking about a teenage girl that has sang in front of a full auditorium of fellow classmates... while wearing a bunny outfit.

Embarrassment really is pretty odd for her.
Old 2009-11-28, 22:28   Link #512
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Given the fact that Haruhi and embarrassment were initially brought up in relation to Kyon...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-28, 22:33   Link #513
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Given the fact that Haruhi and embarrassment were initially brought up in relation to Kyon...
Even in relation to Kyon, it hardly ever happens.

Really, what Roger linked to there is about the only example of it (that I can recall)... and even that is a bit debatable.
Old 2009-11-28, 22:37   Link #514
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Really, what Roger linked to there is about the only example of it (that I can recall)... and even that is a bit debatable.
Spoiler for Intrigues:
Old 2009-11-28, 22:42   Link #515
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
Spoiler for Intrigues:
Ok... perhaps as Haruhi's character develops, she becomes more prone to feelings of embarrassment.

I'm just saying that what Crow said isn't out of left-field or anything. Haruhi is typically very forward and practically shameless in her behavior.
Old 2009-11-29, 00:24   Link #516
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Perhaps when it comes to Kyon... but if so, that's it.
Well since we're talking about Haruhi being embarrassed in relation to Kyon, that goes w/o saying.

Quote:
I mean, we are talking about a teenage girl that has sang in front of a full auditorium of fellow classmates... while wearing a bunny outfit.

Embarrassment really is pretty odd for her.
Bassically. The potatoes phenomena.
Old 2009-11-29, 00:24   Link #517
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I just found my ending for my fanfic.

Now I just need a middle lol.
Old 2009-11-29, 00:49   Link #518
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:

However, I think it's possible for her to feel badly about herself in a more general sense.

I honestly think that Haruhi would be scared to enter a contest that Kyon was a judge for... she'd be afraid of him picking somebody else. I wouldn't call it embarrassment... more of a basic fear of rejection.
I agree with this totally... I think Haruhi would secretly fear that Kyon would choose someone over her (namely Asahina-san).

Off-topic: Man I'm drunk. Happy birthday to me!!!
Old 2009-11-29, 01:29   Link #519
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I agree with this totally... I think Haruhi would secretly fear that Kyon would choose someone over her (namely Asahina-san).

Off-topic: Man I'm drunk. Happy birthday to me!!!
Yeah... there's probably no way Haruhi would get in a competition against Mikuru that Kyon was judging.

Happy birthday, dude! Your grammar and spelling are excellent for a drunk man.
Old 2009-11-29, 01:41   Link #520
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Yeah... there's probably no way Haruhi would get in a competition against Mikuru that Kyon was judging.

Happy birthday, dude! Your grammar and spelling are excellent for a drunk man.
Thanks...I try.

In any case, I was going to have Haruhi join the competition mostly because of some antagonizing from the OC I was thinking about. Although Nukerjsr asked me not to make her one-dimensional, I haven't thought about the character enough to make her any deeper than "I'm the bitch everyone loves to hate." Oh well...

Meet the Suzumiyas will probably still be the better fanfic anyway... Damn it's hard to top that beast...
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction