AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 61 25.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 54 22.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 59 24.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 13.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 7.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.42%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.11%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-02, 04:24   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

K-On! (First Season) - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of K-On! ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the DVD only footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting

• Which kind of footage (DVD only) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2009-07-02, 05:51   Link #2
Wyxor

My rough rating:

Animation Quality: 10
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 8
Soundtrack: 10
Editing: 8
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 7

Average = 8, I guess

all in all its a good anime, with the add up of the conflict between Ritsu and Mio

Old 2009-07-02, 08:17   Link #3
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Animation Quality: 7/10 just because of a few inconsistencies and some of the animation of the final live performance.
Voice Actors: 9/10 I loved them all and thought they were fitting for the personalities.
Script: 8/10 Simply because they re-used a few ideas from before and some gags were hit and miss.
Soundtrack 9/10 They were all pretty nice and I have enjoyment listening to them over and over again. However that might not be the case in the future.
Editing: ?/10 An explanation of what you mean would be appreciated.
Enjoyment: 10/10 Sure there were a number of issues but none that could subtract from the enjoyment this series gave me.
Emotional involvement: 6/10 this is the series weak point for me personally.

Overall though an 8/10

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2009-07-02, 08:21   Link #4
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Animation Quality: 7
Script: 9
Editing: 7
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 8

Overall: 8.5
Old 2009-07-02, 08:37   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Okay let me start off by saying that I know fuck all about music. Just want to make that clear so you can understand my perspective.

Animation Quality:
Has been perfect all the way through but it was somewhat sloppy on the last episode.
9/10

Voice Actors:
No complaints here. All the characters were very distinguishable by their voice. You could tell them apart easily. Also it must have taken a lot of effort for Aki Toyosaki to do that rasping voice in Episode 6.
10/10

Soundtrack:
It was kinda ‘meh’ really. The soundtracks gave it feeling but there isn’t really any single piece that I would want to listen to over and over. So it should be 6/10, however I feel it necessary to bump it up one point since I’ve had the opening and ending songs stuck my head for quite a while now and I see that as an achievement:
7/10

Script:
I have to base this solely on how well each of the genres has been done, since there wasn’t really much plot and I don’t think there was meant to be.

Comedy: 6/10. – There weren’t really any hit and misses but I never genuinely loled once. There were some funny moments like when the gang first imagining what Yui’s sister would be like or when someone got a pantsu shot Mio (lucky bastard) or when Nodoka entered in on Sawako molesting Mio , but they just produced short giggles. There aren’t really any funny moments that I would look up on youtube and play over and over again. In that regards, even Kanon was funnier.

Slice of Life/Music: 7/10. – There were some decent bits here and there but there wasn’t that much. I think they did well to make it seem as if music was a part of everyone’s lives (like how Ritsu did some subconscious drumming on the table in Episode 6, and stuff like looking after their instruments). However, they had three drama bits and both were just God awful, cringe-worthy.

Moeness: 10/10 – Well really, by now 10/10 ought to be a standard for Kyoani. Cat ears and dresses for the fucking win. =3

So overall I would say 7/10. However, the first half episode 2 felt like filler and they did the beach thing twice! I also feel it necessary to drop it a point since it seems K-On’s biggest strength is moeness and I can’t help feel that’s just a little bit...shallow...
6/10

Characters:

Yui Hirasawa: At first this one seemed to me to be a typical retarded moe. However, what I didn’t expect was this anime character to be by far the most retarded character I have ever come across. I mean my God, this character takes retarded moe to a whole new level. I’ve never seen an anime character quite like this one since Osaka in Azumanga Daioh. I’m surprised no one in the anime suggested that she might have some sort of mental problem. Unfortunately it seems this is the only original thing about Yui. Otherwise she’s pretty much a typical character. I did actually feel a little sorry for Yui at the start since she was feeling the force of social pressures to change what they deemed ‘unsuitable’ characteristics. So I was actually a little glad that it didn’t turn out that way for her. But that was the only bit where I emphasised with her. Otherwise I just really didn’t care what happened to her.
Originality – 3/10
Empathy - 3/10

Ritsu Tainaka: A typical tomboyish moe. Wasn’t really impressed with this one. The only thing she did was piss off Mio a lot. She was pretty much Konata but far less funny. And I didn’t understand why she started the club if she was going to procrastinate. Surely the whole point of starting a light music club is because you enjoy it? Why would you procrastinate? It’s good for a writer to make a hypocritical character but the whole point of a hypocritical character is that their hypocrisy is shown to be understandable when taking into account their back ground (i.e. Sasuke Uchiha) or revealed not to be hypocrisy after all (i.e. Lelouch Vi Britannia) (Note: This is where I think School Days failed a bit). Ritsu didn’t have either. I did however understand why she felt so annoyed at Mio choosing to hang out with someone else. But, again, that was the only bit where I emphasised with her. Otherwise I just really didn’t care what happened to her, either.
Originality – 2/10
Empathy – 3/10.

Tsumugi Kotobuki: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, what were they thinking when they made this character? All she did was provide food and drinks and play the keyboard, otherwise she had pretty much no relevance to the plot. They also made her ‘the yuri one’ but they failed to capitalize on that. They made her ‘the obscenely rich one’ too which had some slight effect on the plot but pretty much seemed like a plot device to me. I felt she was just a compilation of unused typical character traits.
Originality – 1/10 (one point because of the eyebrows)
Empathy – 0/10 (SHE DID FUCK ALL)

Mio Akiyama: Probably the most unique character, but not by much. For most of the part she was just a less funny version of Kagami but her large variety of extremely specific phobias made her a little interesting. Other than all those phobias of hers, she was the one I empathised with the most, especially with regards to dealing with Ritsu and most especially with regards to hanging out with other people for a change. In that case I sympathised as well. Imo, it could’ve been better though...
Originality – 5/10
Empathy – 7/10

Azusa Nakano: NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Sorry had to be done. She was my second favourite character. I guess someone had to turn out to be ‘the small one’ and she was it. But unfortunately she was just a smaller version of Mio but without her phobias. I empathised with her frustration with the group for procrastinating so much but I didn’t understand why she couldn’t just ditch the group. He ended up feeling more attached to them than anyone else despite being the most recent addition to the group. I didn’t really care what happened to this one either.
Originality – 2/10
Empathy – 4/10

Sawako Yamanaka: The typical ‘Teacher with issues’. At least they made it relevant to music. And she did play a fairly large role.
Originality – 2/10

Nodoka Manabe: The ‘sensible one’
Originality – 0/10

Ui Hirasawa – ‘The sibling’. A mature younger sister looking after a retarded older sister. I wonder where I’ve seen this one before?
Originality – 1/10

Overall Character Originality: 3/10 (Added an extra point because they can all play musical instruments)

Overall Character Empathy: 3/10 (well I suppose you have to take into account that an 18 year old guy is gonna find it difficult to empathise with a group of high school girls)

Overall Score: 6/10

Highlight of the series:
Spoiler for space:
Old 2009-07-02, 09:10   Link #6
Akka

When I saw it was a new Kyoto Animation anime, I just jumped on it, as the good fanboy I am.
Big disappointment, sadly.

KyoAni's strengths are making believable, loveable characters, with strong emotional moments in the story and incredible artistic skills.
The editing and overall artistic skills are still more or less here, but the rest wasn't at all like usual.

The characters don't really feel believable, they feel like "anime characters", with the expected reactions from anime characters in expected situations ; they lack the "natural" that would make them feel like persons and not, well, "anime characters". Additionnaly, they aren't really interesting, and I didn't really care what would happen to them - in fact, Yui and Riccha were quite bothersome and I was enjoying NOT seeing them :-/

Most of the show is VERY predictable, with predictable jokes and predictable reactions and predictable situations, which hampers a lot the fun there could have been and just make it feel "another one".

There is nearly no drama and emotion, and the little there is feel totally forced and weird. Again, a usual strong point that was a weak point in this show.

On the whole, I was quite bored, which is really a first in a KyoAni production. I often interrupted an episode in the middle to do something else, because I didn't care at all what happened. And I found myself somehow relieved when I finished the last episode - while I'm usually somehow sad, thinking "noooh, it's the end !" - the last concert's only effect was make me think "hey, I'd rather watch the one in Haruhi, this one was actually good".

So, in the end, a pretty mediocre show that was a huge disappointment and left me bored.

Still, I didn't gave it a 4 like I planned at first, and gave it "average" rating (6) instead. Because the realization is good, and I am maybe a bit harsh with it because I expected something "excellent" and only got something that was extremely average.

But it certainly is, by FAR, the worse show ever made by KyoAni.
Old 2009-07-02, 09:27   Link #7
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Animation Quality: 7

Not the level I'm used to seeing from KyoAni, but far from being bad.

Voice Actors: 8

For a bunch of rookies they really did quite well once the characters were established enough.

Script: 4

I give the series full credit for sticking pretty well to the source material. The problem is, 4-koma manga usually doesn't give you much to work with and K-ON! has even less than usual. The embellishments they did give it felt largely forced and simply didn't establish any kind of interesting story.

Soundtrack: 9

The music makes this series, period. The OP, ED and insert songs are all fun and catchy.

Editing: 7

Not much to edit, but they did leave out a number of jokes and such from the manga.

Enjoyment: 8

In spite of its faults, the series was mostly fun to watch.

Emotional Involvement: 6

The only character I found I cared about at all was Yui. The rest of the lot were largely forgettable.

Overall: 49 / 70 = 70% = 7 (Grade is a low-end C, though it really deserves a D)

K-ON! is cute and somewhat enjoyable, but it's got all the substance of a marshmallow (which, amusingly enough, they sing about more than once). It's all fluff and very little else. One likable character, some nice music and decent animation do not make up for this series' faults, no matter how much moe you apply to try and distract the audience from them.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:22   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Without a lot of micro-analysis, I gave it a "7" (Good). It was reasonably entertaining, sweet, charming. Other than the musical band element, it was a relatively generic "girls come together as a team" story with fairly stock characters. The voice actresses worked very hard to give each character sufficient personality. Mio was relatively unique in that she seemed to be an amalgam of Kagami (L*S) and Motoko (LH).

Probably the funniest part of the series for me was Sensei's backstory ("too far")
Following up was Yui and her idiot-love relationship with her guitar.
Points for Mio's channeling of Darth Vader with her grip and Deathstar amplifier.

I've watched each episode twice now ... it does have some rewatchability and my opinion of it improved on the second viewing.

I've decided the profile singing shots of ep 12 are *not* "bad animation". Pull up some live video of female japanese rock singers and look for side profile shots (you'll find very few) -- they tend to jut their lips forward like that (Kotoko immediately comes to mind as I have a collection of her live performances).

I guess my major disappointment is that given this is a KyoAni production about a girl pop band... I'm still expecting more music video performances. Think of the old Monkees tv series (they had a song at the climax of every episode). After all, nothing stopped KyoAni from spending part of every episode in L*S with the anime-only L*Channel.... Still, what we got was fun and I'm planning on picking up the OST.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-07-02 at 11:22.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:34   Link #9
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Animation Quality: 9
It is great for the most part, but there are a few times where it moved SO much, it was creepy... Mainly in the concert in the last episode.

Script: 7/10
Comedy was so-so. There were times it was just boring and times it was fun. Then there was that episode 11(?... or was it 10), where they tried to forcible make everything dramatic.

Characters... Only really got to like Azu-nya... Yui acts like she has problems mentally at times, Ritsu (and Yui) goof off too much (to the point it isn't funny), Mugi... neutral. Almost forgot her name... Mio was rather good, but the anime trying to make her as "moe" as possible had the opposite effect and made her just look pathetic, whimpering all the time... Sawako was fun. Ui... To be honest, boring. Great, you're perfect. (-_-)

Moe: They aimed for it... They really really obviously aimed for it. On the other hand, their aim was so obvious, it didn't work much... It wasn't completely fail in the moe department, but compared to how much they tried to get viewers to go moe, it wasn't that moe...

OP was decent. ED was great.
OP loses points for doing a very half-hearted job... If you are going to make a new OP, at least change it completely. Not make Azu-nya a ghost who only appears in a couple of scenes and gets left out everywhere else.

Overall... 7/10. The popularity of this anime is still baffling to me, but it was fun, in a normal way...
Might want that doujinshi with K-ON characters drawn by QP;flapper though...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-07-02, 18:18   Link #10
Kudryavka

I gave it a 9/10.

I usually take series that have OMG levels of hype with a grain of salt, but I'm definitely glad I took this series up. I always loved music, and seeing as how I love rock (what we Westeners would call the Japanese 'light music') and how I'll be taking guitar up in the fall, I gave this series a chance.
more to come in edits. ^-^
Old 2009-07-02, 18:46   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I used to play rhythm guitar .... the series did get me antsy to take up bass guitar - something I've wanted to do for decades and "never got around to it".
(caveat: I play bass guitar in Rock Band which, of course, is nothing like the real thing )
Old 2009-07-02, 20:35   Link #12
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I won't go into detail, whoever cared to read my other posts or somehow ended up on the blog will know a number of stuff already...

So, how I felt about it... Basically, it's "Good". I consider it above average, with some episodes being particularly enjoyable as to be "very good" while other dropped from the series average, with all the emo drama stuff. But overall, it was enjoyable. It's not a masterpiece, but the word says it all. It was a "good" series for me, and since "Good" here is 7, I'll pick 7. Actually, the fact that it had very little to do with actual music is a plus in my book. Since I'm basically only a listener, the whole music terminology and stuff would have been lost to me, so it's all good from my side.
Old 2009-07-03, 06:23   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quite moe loaded IMO. Needs more risque scenes, Azunyan and Mugivision.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-07-03, 17:37   Link #14
stubby42

I think the main problem with K-on! was they were trying to make two very different shows.

On the one hand there was the source material and the thing the network had comissioned which was constant jokes and moe.

On the other hand there was the show the studio actually wanted to make, which dealt with the emotional connection betweeen the girls, those were the episodes I enjoyed the most, the over the top moe was too much.
Old 2009-07-03, 22:22   Link #15
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

After watching all 13 episodes of K-ON!, it is probably the most enjoyable slice of life/comedy/music anime so far in the spring season. Despite some drawbacks in a few episodes, the content of the series is pretty good and paired up with better animation than Lucky Star, K-ON! Is probably the 2nd best Kyoani comedy/slice of life series behind the Haruhi series.

Content

K-ON! Anime adaptation is adapted from the 4 panel manga which two are published so far up to this date and still continuing. The story involves with a new freshman named Yui and don’t know what club to join. Meanwhile Ritsu and Mio wants to join the light music club, but since there is a lack of members, the club was almost about to be cut. Soon, Tsumugi, a high-class girl who owns a music shop joins after changing her mind about joining the chorus club. Then, After Yui saw a poster on the light music club, she decides to join, but not able to play the guitar. After she obtained the guitar, over time she got better at playing. Club activities usually involve having tea and cake after school and cosplaying by Sawako towards the middle of the season. Next year, Azusa joined the club and soon they perform at the 2nd festival and named the band “Afterschool Tea Time” (or something like that)
Although there were a few instances of the beach episode being complete rehashes, the most of the series were different and also enjoyable with good comedy. In some report, the anime series cover 90% of the manga, although some of the content is made up to fill in the missing parts like in Lucky Star, it’s still good.

Animation

The animation style of K-ON! Is a mix between Haruhi and Lucky Star, but K-ON’s animation was a lot more detailed compared to Lucky Star. However, the animation is lacking a bit and not up to the beautifulness of Kyoto Animation’s Air, Clannad, and Kanon remake and the awesomeness of Haruhi and FMP.

Characters

In K-ON! We have the four main girls, including two others who play a part later of the series and also the irresponsible teacher, Sawako-sensei who rather drink tea and also cosplay with other members.

Many will find who watched Lucky Star that the character designs are very similar with some exceptions. Ui, Yui’s younger sister who is a lot more mature than Yui and takes care of her and Azusa-chan, a Tsundere, but not that much… and have a very timid personality.

Lucky Star to K-ON! Character Comparisons (for comparison
sake):
Tsukasa -> Yui
Kagami -> Mio
Miyuki -> Tsumugi
Konata -> Ritsu

Music

Although some will find the background music somewhat bland, the performances are the selling point of K-ON! The performance music and the single albums of K-ON! sound outstanding although there are a few instances. Another thing is that the OP and ED sold over 100,000+ copies within a few weeks which means that it’s proved as a success.

Conclusion

K-ON! is a great, lighthearted slice of life/comedy series that most people who are a fan of slice of life/comedy series should watch. However, some naysayers continuously said that the series is horrible… which isn’t the point. K-ON! may disappoint some because it’s not like Beck which have music performances frequently also with some fights, but if you look for what it is and have a open mind, you may end up enjoying it. Although some may be bothered by the moe factor in K-ON, the moe don’t bother me nor I have praised it because it have moe. However, if you enjoyed Lucky Star, you will definitely have no problem enjoying K-ON! Like Lucky Star, some people might want another season… but with the fate of FMP so far, not for awhile.

Overall Rating:

8.8/10, B+ (Average of all 13 episode ratings)

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-07-03 at 23:16.
Old 2009-07-04, 23:55   Link #16
therationalpi

Animation Quality: 9

There was a strong attention to detail in the instruments, which I greatly appreciate. The character designs were appropriate for a moe series, and each seemed to fit the character's personalities quite well. You can see the looser style that Kyoto Animation has been employing more and more over the years, but it really seems to work with a series of this nature.

The voice acting, by and large was very strong. However, I felt that Tsumugi seemed a bit too much like a caricature.

Script: 8

There were many good jokes in the script, and the comedy was usually pretty solid. However, as a musician, I felt that the musical jokes they made were pretty bland. Some people complain that K-On didn't focus enough on music, but I was happy that they didn't because that was usually when things took a turn for the worst.

What can I say? I love the opening theme. It's cute, it's energetic, and it's catchy. The ending is also very good, and the background music is appropriate. If you enjoy J-Pop and J-Rock you will find something to love in this series.

Enjoyment: 9

I usually had a smile on my face when I watched this series. Everything about the show was very very cute. Thus, I would rate my enjoyment very high.

Emotional Involvement: 6

Emotional involvement is not a big deal in this series, to me. The show is meant primarily for humor. When I want emotional involvement, I'll turn on something that's source material came from Key.

Overall: 8
Old 2009-07-05, 07:45   Link #17
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Animation Quality: 8.
Kyoani slipped a little. Compared to CLANNAD. Still, one up fom Haruhi.

Voice Actors: 7
So-so. But they're rookies. So.

Script/Editing: 4
I'm sorry to say this, but: THERE WAS ONE!? Ok the problem: There was. This isn't Minami-ke so it does have a general plot. But after a few eps, I think it was thrown out in favor of "weekly randomning".

Hey, you know what? Even "fail script" anime like Myself; Yourself at least looked like they had one.

Soundtrack: 8
Compared to Haruhi, this isn't very spectacular. But it's about the standard of Myself; Yourself, Minami-ke and Maria-sama. So it's still good.

Enjoyment: 7
It was a moe-blob, and I came expecting that. So?

Emotional Involvement: 4
I think even Minami-ke had more of it. I mean. I'm not a girl. Although I do play bass. But this is like "hahahahahhahahahahahahhahah all the way."

OH COME ON. I mean, music isn't meant to be this easy! I'll drag in a Nanaka Yatsushiro, a Kotomi Ichinose and a Shinji Ikari to show the pains of music.

Total avg: 6.4-6.5
This is really, the most dismal showing from Kyoani so far. Ok actually it's problem was THE DAMN SAME AS MYSELF; YOURSELF. Not long enough to actually have a real plot. So there.
Old 2009-07-05, 18:46   Link #18
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
This is really, the most dismal showing from Kyoani so far. Ok actually it's problem was THE DAMN SAME AS MYSELF; YOURSELF. Not long enough to actually have a real plot. So there.
Seems like a strange comparison to make, given that Myself; Yourself is a drama and K-On! is a moe moe comedy. Moreover, I think you could extend K-On! by 13 episodes and there still wouldn't be a plot, and extend Myself; Yourself by 13 episodes and still not care about the characters.
Old 2009-07-05, 21:12   Link #19
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Ive already made quite an extensive overall review of K-On on my blog so this will be relatively short.

Animation Quality: 9.5
Animation was overall very good. Nothing truly spectacular, but i at least never noticed a major dip.

Voice Actors: 10
This was the most impressive part. With a near total newbie cast, they did a very good job. Yōko Hikasa (Mio) in particular really impressed me.

Script: 5
Defiantly the weakest point of this show. Mio teasing is entertaining for only a while. In short, the plot got stale quick.

Awesome songs, awesome ED song. Awesome lead singing from Mio. Just awesome overall

Editing: NA
I really dont notice this section too much so i cant really rate it.

Enjoyment: 9
I really enjoyed watching the show and is the only show i followed on schedule this season, Despite its faults.

Emotional Involvement: 5
Never noticed a emotional involvement in this show, but to be honest i didn't feel this show really tried to do that so this catagory is almost a non-factor.

Overall 8/10

Overall, it was an entertaining show, but the plot was a real let down. And to be truly honest, without Mio this show woulod have been a major fail.
Old 2009-07-05, 23:00   Link #20
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
Seems like a strange comparison to make, given that Myself; Yourself is a drama and K-On! is a moe moe comedy. Moreover, I think you could extend K-On! by 13 episodes and there still wouldn't be a plot, and extend Myself; Yourself by 13 episodes and still not care about the characters.
I expected more from Kyoani. In fact, if I had used Haruhi to compare instead of M;Y , K-on would have sunk (failed).