AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2011-09-21, 20:41   Link #1621
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsh View Post
You're younger than me. You can afford to wait.

This reminds me of the literal years we spent waiting to have the motives of the Vorlon and Shadows explained in Babylon 5.
Heh, you have my problem (as well as few other list members).... waiting 10 years might be problematic

You can find summaries and some translations "out there" but since the material is licensed I really can't give any hints other than that.
Old 2011-09-24, 13:43   Link #1622
nsmcho

Well, learning Japanese is faster than waiting for the 17th to be translated.
nsmcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 18:25   Link #1623
LanceX2

Man lol, Im not sure how I feel about Holo finding a new companion but if she has to stay immortal, it would be too sad for her to be alone.

Doesnt it just kill the idea of true love though? or "eternal love". Kinda kills the thrill of lawrence and her if shes just going to find someone else after.

also, to those that have read it, what does he say to the idea of her finding new lovers?
LanceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 11:05   Link #1624
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX2 View Post
Doesnt it just kill the idea of eternal love though?
Yes, yes it does.. but it's an imaginary concept, just like falling in love with an immortal being, so you're free to believe in whichever you prefer

Quote:
Kinda kills the thrill of lawrence and her if shes just going to find someone else after.
Not necessarily.. it depends on your perspective. "Thrills" don't last long to begin with, so even if they were both immortal they would probably eventually find other people to be thrilled by.

Can you truly imagine staying intimately interested with someone for hundreds of years? Let alone "forever"? It's up to how romantically you choose to view the question, of course, but not everyone can live with a person for the rest of the lives and remain happy together (without forcing themselves to feel that way).

Quote:
what does he say to the idea of her finding new lovers?
I haven't read anything but the English-translated stuff, but it's clear that Lawrence is far more concerned about how Holo feels than himself. In fact, he isn't even really thinking selfishly when he asks Deanna Rubens his last "silly question" (about humans and gods mating).

One could even argue that Lawrence is trying to find a reason to pursue Holo, because he doesn't think it could work (without hurting her more in the long-run). He's the type that would WANT Holo to find someone else to love after he's dead and gone, because he wouldn't want to leave her behind, lonely and miserable.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 13:51   Link #1625
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Absolutely... guys... there's a very strong chance your mate will outlive you by 10, 20, 30, or more years. I'd find it incredibly selfish to insist they remain alone (not like you get a say anyway ). That evokes the nasty notion of "love" actually being *possession*. One of the truths I love about Horo&Lawrence is each insisting the love be on *equal* terms.
Old 2011-10-02, 14:22   Link #1626
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That evokes the nasty notion of "love" actually being *possession*. One of the truths I love about Horo&Lawrence is each insisting the love be on *equal* terms.
That seems to have been the central point of the books (as I've read them). It's a story of emotional equals not realizing that they're already equals.. one is too proud and confused, and the other too self-deprecating.

It amuses me the most when Holo tries to deconstruct Lawrence to bring him to her level, because he always ends up back where he started anyway (just feeling less equal to her). Talk about your classic scenarios..
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 16:13   Link #1627
LanceX2

I understand what your saying Bash :P I guess her becoming mortal would just been a plot cop out.

Does anyone have pictures of her holding her stomach when she tells him shes pregnant?
LanceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 18:48   Link #1628
Dark Wing

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of her holding her stomach when she tells him shes pregnant?
As fare as I know no there is a picture in the last novel of the two of them in a bath together when she tells him and he has the dumbest look on his face! lol

Also I don't know if this was said here or not but there is this little boy that they take in who becomes Lawrence's apprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I could see how it would be a very bad situation in "wannabe gansta land" if you were male in parts of Michigan ...
Hey it's not so bad i grow up in Detroit and survived long enough to move the hell out...
Old 2011-10-03, 06:45   Link #1629
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
As fare as I know no there is a picture in the last novel of the two of them in a bath together when she tells him and he has the dumbest look on his face! lol
No, Lawrence didn't know until the very end when Horo told him that they need to come up with a name in which he mistook it that she did not like the name of the inn at first in which she replies "Not that kind of name".
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 06:54   Link #1630
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
No, Lawrence didn't know until the very end when Horo told him that they need to come up with a name in which he mistook it that she did not like the name of the inn at first in which she replies "Not that kind of name".
Yea you're right thanks for the correction...still it was a pretty dumb look when he figured up what she was actually talking about.
Old 2011-10-04, 15:07   Link #1631
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Someone should just make a fan translation of Book 17 <_> this way I can skip to the end without waiting many years... Cuz last I knew Yen Press only had about half of the series licensed, or am I behind on it all and they licensed the whole series?
Old 2011-10-04, 15:41   Link #1632
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes260 View Post
Someone should just make a fan translation of Book 17 <_> this way I can skip to the end without waiting many years... Cuz last I knew Yen Press only had about half of the series licensed, or am I behind on it all and they licensed the whole series?
If I recall correctly, Yen Press has said that they have all of the series licensed but have only put up release dates up to a certain point. (The bit about release dates up to a certain point applies to their whole catalog, by the way.) I believe the statement was buried in the the comments to one of the front page updates so it would take reading through every page to find the exact quote. But that's where I'd look first if you want to look for yourself.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 21:35   Link #1633
DDCD

If I recall, Yen said they were planning on releasing the whole series even though they haven't announced the release dates. Unfortunately they also said that when they do announce them, don't expect them to have a much quicker release schedule then the current 2 per year.
DDCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 01:36   Link #1634
Darktriforce

A big doubt...

Hi everyone.
I'm not sure this is the right place to write this question. So, forgive me if I'm in the wrong place to post my doubt.

I'm having a issue on buying the light novels of Spice and Wolf. I was searching for the light novels in amazon.com and when I clicked on one of them: Spice and Wolf vol. 4 I noticed two different covers and also with a different description:

The first cover is this and it says on the description Spice and Wolf, Vol 4 [Paperback]. That book has about 256 pages:

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Then I clicked at the other book with a different cover and the description is "Spice and Wolf, Vol. 4 (manga) (Spice and Wolf (manga)) [Paperback]"and this one has about 192 pages:
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Both covers are great (not doubt about it) but I don't know which one I should buy. If you are owners of those books, could you tell me which one is the best to buy?
The first book cost $8.50 and the second cover cost about $10.50. It's not about movie but about the quality on the story
I would truly appreciate you help.

Greetings...
Darktriforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 02:18   Link #1635
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

If your intention is to read the actual novels then you need to purchase the first one listed (Holo). The book with Nora on it is part of the manga.
Phoenix6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 20:19   Link #1636
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darktriforce View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm not sure this is the right place to write this question. So, forgive me if I'm in the wrong place to post my doubt.

I'm having a issue on buying the light novels of Spice and Wolf. I was searching for the light novels in amazon.com and when I clicked on one of them: Spice and Wolf vol. 4 I noticed two different covers and also with a different description:

The first cover is this and it says on the description Spice and Wolf, Vol 4 [Paperback]. That book has about 256 pages:

Both covers are great (not doubt about it) but I don't know which one I should buy. If you are owners of those books, could you tell me which one is the best to buy?
The first book cost $8.50 and the second cover cost about $10.50. It's not about movie but about the quality on the story
I would truly appreciate you help.

Greetings...
Not sure how familiar you are with japanese culture so pardon if this sounds simplistic:
There are TWO series - one is the original light novel series (mostly words) and the other is the manga ADAPTATION (mostly pictures).

Many of the online retailers are *terrible* about separating the two clearly, making it difficult for new readers to figure out which to buy.

Generally, manga run 190-200 pages, so that's a clue. Light novels tend to be 250-300 pages. Also, the art in the manga is done by a different person than Hasekura.

The light novel (original source) is, of course, quite good, but the manga has also been quite good as the light novel author is involved with that as well. Probably one of the few series where the light novel, the manga, and the anime have all been well-received.

I own both the anime series AND the light novel series - I suppose its best to read the light novel series first but I'm enjoying both.
Old 2011-10-13, 17:42   Link #1637
Wolf and Spice

What exactly is the Author up to now? I heard he started a light novel on millionaire girl or something but he hasn't gone past the first book yet
Wolf and Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 08:17   Link #1638
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

He is working on another economics-themed story... and there is another major female character with other-worldly eyes... not as pretty as Holo though.

It's called World End Economica.

www.spicy-tails.net
Old 2011-10-18, 08:22   Link #1639
konart

Spoiler for baby:
Old 2011-10-18, 13:49   Link #1640
Wolf and Spice

Where did u see this? And what does the page say? T.T
Wolf and Spice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen