AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-01-06, 07:58   Link #1
BorgmanJayce

Playback on 42-inch or 50-inch TV's

I was wondering if I would need to take into account Overscan if I ever bought a brand new 42-inch or 50-inch Plasma or LCD TV and I converted my fansubs for playing on said TV...
Old 2007-01-10, 16:14   Link #2
ranivus

i have my vidcard connected to my 42" LCD HDtv via DVI->hdmi connection and it looks even better than my cable television. I did nothing special to it.
Old 2007-01-10, 16:31   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

As ranivus mentioned, if you connect your PC using HDMI/DVI or VGA cable, overscan plays no role. In my personal experience it was also the only way of getting proper DVD playback, as even using component cables my old DVD player has terrible picture quality on my LCD TV. But using my PC for fansubs, other downloaded TV episodes and DVD works absolutely brilliant and without any overscan.

PS. I'd recommend getting Windows MCE and/or the remote control that comes with it, and use MediaPortal (open source media center app) for playback. That works great for me. And since I'm playing fansub straight from my PC, no conversion is required.

The only thing is that with a display that large HDTV content becomes preferable. If you were downloading the SD (low res) versions of series like Pumpkin Scissors before, I'd recommend getting the HD version, even if it's technically just an upscale.
Old 2007-01-11, 05:03   Link #4
BorgmanJayce

I'm not too sure about using MCE when Vista comes out [and I'll wait until the SP1 version comes out before I buy two versions of it, one for my main PC and one for another PC that I'd want to build for use in the living room] but I'd definitely use Media Portal any day as it has potential.